The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5706
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:48 pm

But I would only know that if I'd stumbled across the word "bristlecone" before.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5157
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:36 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:48 pm
But I would only know that if I'd stumbled across the word "bristlecone" before.
They're only the oldest living things on the planet...

User avatar
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Wheatley » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:38 pm

Is there any reason that a tree-cone would mean something besides a type of pine cone? It's top row so they wouldn't be expecting something extremely obscure.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4118
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:06 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:48 pm
But I would only know that if I'd stumbled across the word "bristlecone" before.
Wait so when you asked for a citation you needed it to come from your own brain? Is MarkBarrett supposed to somehow know what in your head was supposed to lead you to the correct response? Do you think that's asking for too much? Do you think when you ask what led to the correct response that maybe the only way people can answer is with what led THEM to it? That's not enough? They have to give the answer from your point of view, despite not having shared the thoughts, memories, and experiences that have made up your life? I feel like maybe I've cracked open a severe flaw in this whole "What led to" operation. It just can't possibly work that way.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 6990
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:26 pm

And yet you all continue to try....

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5706
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:41 am

jeff6286 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:06 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:48 pm
But I would only know that if I'd stumbled across the word "bristlecone" before.
Wait so when you asked for a citation you needed it to come from your own brain?
I meant, if I'd seen the word "bristlecone" before it was linked to me.

Still. The clue depended on either knowing something so obscure as "Bristlecone", or taking a WAG on a word that kinda almost looks like what they want.

Or expecting Sixtus VI to not be a trap, because hey maybe that was the one time they messed up the numbering? It's clearly not going to be that obvious at the bottom of the board. Or going "well, one of these SOUNDS less like a pope name than the other two."

Or expecting "fledgling Royal Flying Corps" to mean "first war chronologically where planes could've been used" when the clue said NOTHING to the sort about the latter.

Or knowing that adding random-ass numbers to 522 will somehow get me to 1100.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2338
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:36 am

You're right, man. The jig is up. There's just no way they can possibly expect anyone to know this crap. They've been feeding all of us the correct responses just to mess with you.
Sprinkles are for winners.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3480
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:42 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:01 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:53 pm
piñon looks very close to pine
Again with the "kinda sorta vaguely almost looks like a cognate if you squint at it" crap, huh?
No, more like in an "obvious to pretty much everyone other than TPH" kinda way.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8306
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:46 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:36 am
You're right, man. The jig is up. There's just no way they can possibly expect anyone to know this crap. They've been feeding all of us the correct responses just to mess with you.
It is our version of The Truman Show. We created Jeopardy so we could watch TPH's reactions with random "facts" only we know. Ken Jennings, Brad Rutter and the others are just paid actors.

1stlvlthinker
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:53 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:13 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:51 am
Exactly. As seaborgium noted, there have been some screwy things related to pope names. But I would not expect them to answer us about an oddball situation where a name/number combo was skipped for some reason unless it had resulted in a huge story recently. So there not being a Sixtus VI should be obvious.
Unless you don't know the history of popes. Some numbers have been skipped, so it's easy to go "well, Sixtus VI is blatant negbait, because why else would something that obvious be that far down the board? Must be IV or V."
I'll say this again, you simultaneously think too much and think too little.

Occam's Razor. If you're wrong, you're wrong, but being simple with this will get you the right answer most of the time.
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5706
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:43 pm

1stlvlthinker wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:53 am
Occam's Razor. If you're wrong, you're wrong, but being simple with this will get you the right answer most of the time.
Most of the time. Except for the 87,349 times that it's totally backfired on me.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8338
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:57 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:43 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:53 am
Occam's Razor. If you're wrong, you're wrong, but being simple with this will get you the right answer most of the time.
Most of the time. Except for the 87,349 times that it's totally backfired on me.
Then don't ask people who it doesn't backfire on! It isn't going to be productive if nothing we say works for you because none of us are you!

Image
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

1stlvlthinker
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:27 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:43 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:53 am
Occam's Razor. If you're wrong, you're wrong, but being simple with this will get you the right answer most of the time.
Most of the time. Except for the 87,349 times that it's totally backfired on me.
Okay, I'll bite. Let's keep track of the times that you have no idea what the answer is, and simple logic isn't the right answer. This is much better than just giving up and saying you have no idea.
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 4626
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:24 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:13 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:51 am
Exactly. As seaborgium noted, there have been some screwy things related to pope names. But I would not expect them to answer us about an oddball situation where a name/number combo was skipped for some reason unless it had resulted in a huge story recently. So there not being a Sixtus VI should be obvious.
Unless you don't know the history of popes. Some numbers have been skipped, so it's easy to go "well, Sixtus VI is blatant negbait, because why else would something that obvious be that far down the board? Must be IV or V."
If you don't know the history of popes, you don't know about skipped regnal numbers, and you Occam's razor your way to the one that doesn't render either of the other two impossible. It's farther down on the board because hey, moon logic.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 4626
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:31 pm

I encountered the phrase "bristlecone pine" in Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator and have never forgotten it. I have also not forgotten that the U.S. President in that book is named Lancelot Gilligrass.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1123
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:09 am

seaborgium wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:31 pm
I encountered the phrase "bristlecone pine" in Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator and have never forgotten it. I have also not forgotten that the U.S. President in that book is named Lancelot Gilligrass.
Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Courtney.
Courtney who?

...

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5204
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:18 am

dhkendall wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:57 pm

Image
Oh, David, I'm tempted to make that my avatar. Good one.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5706
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:03 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:24 pm
If you don't know the history of popes, you don't know about skipped regnal numbers, and you Occam's razor your way to the one that doesn't render either of the other two impossible. It's farther down on the board because hey, moon logic.
Or even if you don't know about skipped numbers, you still expect a trap, and thus think that VI is the wrong answer.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5157
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:26 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:03 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:24 pm
If you don't know the history of popes, you don't know about skipped regnal numbers, and you Occam's razor your way to the one that doesn't render either of the other two impossible. It's farther down on the board because hey, moon logic.
Or even if you don't know about skipped numbers, you still expect a trap, and thus think that VI is the wrong answer.
Why are you -expecting- a trap, ever? Negbait is the exception, not the rule.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5706
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:07 pm

Volante wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:26 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:03 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:24 pm
If you don't know the history of popes, you don't know about skipped regnal numbers, and you Occam's razor your way to the one that doesn't render either of the other two impossible. It's farther down on the board because hey, moon logic.
Or even if you don't know about skipped numbers, you still expect a trap, and thus think that VI is the wrong answer.
Why are you -expecting- a trap, ever? Negbait is the exception, not the rule.
Once bitten, 900 times shy.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], This Is Kirk!, trainman and 24 guests