The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread

Post by StrangerCoug »

goatman wrote:If you really want to learn about these trivia facts, get a copy of Steven J. Ferrill's book, The Cultural Literacy Trivia Guide, 4th Ed. for about ten bucks on Amazon. He still runs a webpage with 15K clues and mouseover flashcard study zones in 62 categories
Whereabouts is this site? I feel I need the help too, and practically everything I get has to go toward feeding myself at school.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TenPound wrote:NHOIs in top boxes: Sixes and sevens, "Love Story", Clarence Clemons
Clarence Clemons is one that most non contemporary music followers would not know. But for Bruce Springsteen fans, he is bread & butter knowledge.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

StrangerCoug wrote:
goatman wrote:If you really want to learn about these trivia facts, get a copy of Steven J. Ferrill's book, The Cultural Literacy Trivia Guide, 4th Ed. for about ten bucks on Amazon. He still runs a webpage with 15K clues and mouseover flashcard study zones in 62 categories
Whereabouts is this site? I feel I need the help too, and practically everything I get has to go toward feeding myself at school.
The book is an indispensable bible. Jennings used it exclusively to prep & review. I read some part of it daily. Eventually it starts to soak in. After awhile, you start to get things on J! that you NHO...

Go forth and increase your trivia!

http://www.jeopardytrivia.com/categories/
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote:
TenPound wrote:NHOIs in top boxes: Sixes and sevens, "Love Story", Clarence Clemons
Clarence Clemons is one that most non contemporary music followers would not know. But for Bruce Springsteen fans, he is bread & butter knowledge.
I'm not a big Big Man man or a big Boss man, but I knew it because his name was in the news when he died, and it stuck with me.
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

seaborgium wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
I'm not a big Big Man man or a big Boss man, but I knew it because his name was in the news when he died, and it stuck with me.

You'll be servin' harrrrd tiiiiiiime
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Category 13 wrote:
Clarence Clemons is one that most non contemporary music followers would not know. But for Bruce Springsteen rock'n'roll fans, he is bread & butter knowledge.
There. Fixed.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote:... my brain also blanked on what show Robert Guiallume would've played Benson on.....
Soap. :lol:
OCSam
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Thursday Dec. 18

Post by Category 13 »

What led to Maine on State Stuff for $600?
Bowdoin is also the name of an upper class liberal college in Maine.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Category 13 wrote:
5 bonus points for proper use of thread.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
Category 13 previously had 995 points. With his 5 more, how many points does he have now? Does anyone know a way to shortcut that?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:
alietr wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
Category 13 previously had 995 points. With his 5 more, how many points does he have now? Does anyone know a way to shortcut that?
1013, obviously.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Category 13 wrote:
So...ummm...not to get sidetracked and not to start a fight, but what is an "upper class liberal college"? It's 2014--things aren't perfect, but highly regarded private liberal arts colleges are no longer composed mostly of rich prep school kids. Or maybe I'm just misreading your phrasing.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

alietr wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
And -1000 points for spoiling questions without spoiler tags. That's one of the reasons this thread doesn't really work, those of us that are a few days behind can't really read this thread without being spoiled on other episodes.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Caboom wrote:
alietr wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
And -1000 points for spoiling questions without spoiler tags. That's one of the reasons this thread doesn't really work, those of us that are a few days behind can't really read this thread without being spoiled on other episodes.
I can, and probably should have, spoilerize the whole thread. That's the implication -- that it's going to be discussing current games.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

alietr wrote:
Caboom wrote:
alietr wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
I can, and probably should have, spoilerize the whole thread. That's the implication -- that it's going to be discussing current games.
Of course, but the problem is, it's pretty hard to read this thread "episode by episode", without seeing spoilers for episodes I haven't seen yet, whereas it's easy to read the daily topics without getting spoiled on following episodes.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

lieph82 wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
So...ummm...not to get sidetracked and not to start a fight, but what is an "upper class liberal college"? It's 2014--things aren't perfect, but highly regarded private liberal arts colleges are no longer composed mostly of rich prep school kids. Or maybe I'm just misreading your phrasing.
They're not?

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... ed-schools
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Vanya wrote:
lieph82 wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
They're not?

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... ed-schools
I would hardly call families who make more than $20,000 a year "upper class." The more prestigious the college, the more generous the financial aid, generally.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Caboom wrote:Of course, but the problem is, it's pretty hard to read this thread "episode by episode", without seeing spoilers for episodes I haven't seen yet, whereas it's easy to read the daily topics without getting spoiled on following episodes.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but if you don't want to be spoiled, and the thread title indicates spoilers, then maybe you shouldn't be reading it?

Just a wild thought.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Golf wrote:
Caboom wrote:Of course, but the problem is, it's pretty hard to read this thread "episode by episode", without seeing spoilers for episodes I haven't seen yet, whereas it's easy to read the daily topics without getting spoiled on following episodes.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but if you don't want to be spoiled, and the thread title indicates spoilers, then maybe you shouldn't be reading it?

Just a wild thought.
Yeah, not checking this thread until you're caught up on episodes seems like an easy fix.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

lieph82 wrote:
Golf wrote:

Just a wild thought.
Yeah, not checking this thread until you're caught up on episodes seems like an easy fix.
Yep, valid and easy solutions. Of course then I'll either miss part of the discussions, or get to read them days later than the daily thread. And having single discussions fragmented into multiple threads doesn't exactly make the board more readable.

But these are obviously only tiny problems compared to the need for people to be able to show their intellectual superiority by moving the "stupid questions" to a side thread.