The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:00 pm
Bigdogstalfos wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:38 pmNarita does sound Japanese
The hell it does. It sounds more African to me because it reminds me of Nairobi, but that was already used as a clue.
Bigdogstalfos wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:38 pmSometimes you just have to know things
I know how the exact tuning of a mandolin, the location of the first Little Caesars, the exact date of the first-ever Anthrocon, the first store to open at the largest mall in Indiana, all three lead singers of my favorite Southern rock band, the host and announcer of the game show All-Star Blitz (hobba hum hobba heeba humba), which MAD artists have done the most cover art, and the nickname for the protagonist of the anime My Hero Academia. But I doubt that those will ever come up in a clue, especially not a $200 one.
Bigdogstalfos wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:38 pm On a more logic- and not knowledge-based level, top box will likely be a very well-known world capital, so you only have a few options. And it’s sure not London, Washington, Paris, or Beijing.
It very well could be Beijing. "Sounds Chinese" and "Sounds Japanese" aren't miles apart. Or it could be in another big country such as Brazil. "Narita" sounds totally plausible as Portuguese to me. Or maybe they're just going to throw a red herring in the top box because THEY'VE DONE IT BEFORE.
no TOM needed for narita...it is one of the most well-known airports in the world...though if you had watched days of our lives when there was a japanese-american with the name of paul narita (pitcher for the red sox in the show), it would have easily led you to tokyo for the capital with which the airport is associated
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Japanese and Chinese are pretty easily to tell apart. It's Chinese and Korean that becomes a bit tougher. But as far as I know, Chinese does not use any R sounds in their words while Korean does.

I don't know Narita but I'd agree it sounds Japanese.
davey

Post by davey »

Narita sounds like Akita...a large breed of dog originating from the mountainous regions of northern Japan.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Narita sounds like any of the 800,000 Spanish words ending in -ita. Therefore it's the airport of Mexico City. Or possibly Madrid.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:35 am Narita sounds like any of the 800,000 Spanish words ending in -ita. Therefore it's the airport of Mexico City. Or possibly Madrid.
I'm with TPH here. I wouldn't go Oriental for this word until running through Latin countries and maybe even going Scandinavian (they don't all have K's and J's do they?). Japan would be my 18th WAG, not because of "sounds like Japanese", but after 10 shots in the dark, I'm just namin' countries at random.

Assigning this to the top row is basically a "how the other half lives" filter. The "other half" doesn't know O'Hare is an airport in Chicago or that MCI is the code for Kansas City. I only know Narita from landing there. I just had to look up the alternate (Haneda).

tl;dr - this is a YEKIOYD clue. So is the name of the city with the Alamo (Tokyo? :lol: )
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:45 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:35 am Narita sounds like any of the 800,000 Spanish words ending in -ita. Therefore it's the airport of Mexico City. Or possibly Madrid.
I'm with TPH here. I wouldn't go Oriental for this word until running through Latin countries and maybe even going Scandinavian (they don't all have K's and J's do they?). Japan would be my 18th WAG, not because of "sounds like Japanese", but after 10 shots in the dark, I'm just namin' countries at random.

Assigning this to the top row is basically a "how the other half lives" filter. The "other half" doesn't know O'Hare is an airport in Chicago or that MCI is the code for Kansas City. I only know Narita from landing there. I just had to look up the alternate (Haneda).

tl;dr - this is a YEKIOYD clue. So is the name of the city with the Alamo (Tokyo? :lol: )
Pretty much every city has an Alamo, as well as a Hertz, Budget, Avis, etc. That could literally be anything.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:45 am tl;dr - this is a YEKIOYD clue. So is the name of the city with the Alamo (Tokyo? :lol: )
And there's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes you just have to know the fact. And it shouldn't be unexpected that, especially in the ToC, that the writers expect the contestants to know the name of Tokyo's biggest international airport flat out.

It's like asking what the TOM is if the clue reads "This is the capital of Michigan"
Spoiler
M
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:35 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:45 am tl;dr - this is a YEKIOYD clue. So is the name of the city with the Alamo (Tokyo? :lol: )
And there's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes you just have to know the fact. And it shouldn't be unexpected that, especially in the ToC, that the writers expect the contestants to know the name of Tokyo's biggest international airport flat out.

It's like asking what the TOM is if the clue reads "This is the capital of Michigan"
Spoiler
M
And of course one needn't have ever been there to know it. I couldn't tell you what I have read that led me to remember that Narita is a Japanese airport. (I do know it wasn't from scanning lists of airports for trivia purposes...not that there's anything wrong with that!) But I've done so enough that it's anchored in my brain. And actually, if it was a higher value clue I might have hesitated, thinking maybe it served another Japanese city. But a $400 clue? No doubt.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:52 am
And of course one needn't have ever been there to know it. I couldn't tell you what I have read that led me to remember that Narita is a Japanese airport. (I do know it wasn't from scanning lists of airports for trivia purposes...not that there's anything wrong with that!) But I've done so enough that it's anchored in my brain. And actually, if it was a higher value clue I might have hesitated, thinking maybe it served another Japanese city. But a $400 clue? No doubt.
I've spent a fair amount of time in airports, I don't recall ever seeing "Narita" on a gate or departures/arrivals screen, so unless you have flown there, it isn't something to get by osmosis (my membranes are usually permeable). The NRT airport code probably informed me from my first flight booked by a travel agent (an ancient occupation where other people provided itineraries and reservations), but I think the word was hardly used even by the gate and flight staff.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I've got no problem with Narita at $200, but I do think Schiphol was way over valued at $800.
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:11 am
davey wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:52 am
I've spent a fair amount of time in airports, I don't recall ever seeing "Narita" on a gate or departures/arrivals screen, so unless you have flown there, it isn't something to get by osmosis (my membranes are usually permeable). The NRT airport code probably informed me from my first flight booked by a travel agent (an ancient occupation where other people provided itineraries and reservations), but I think the word was hardly used even by the gate and flight staff.
And yet, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's never been to Japan but got it. Travel articles, articles about politicians visiting Tokyo, really anything about Japan might mention it and give it a chance to osmose (my membranes being as permeable as anybody else's...) A little experience isn't bad either, but nothing beats voracious reading. (I'm not sure, though, I would have gone from Tokyo airport to the name...Maybe with a mnemonic, like starts with N...)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:13 am I've got no problem with Narita at $200, but I do think Schiphol was way over valued at $800.
I don't know about "way" overvalued. I don't think "Schiphol" sounds obviously Dutch to the same extent that Narita sounds Japanese. And it's a big hub airport, but it doesn't have quite the same Q-rating as certain other European airports like Heathrow and De Gaulle (both of which also would have belonged in the $200 box). Also, Kenyatta (especially Kenyatta) and Louverture, which were placed above Schiphol on the board, were pretty obvious because you could get them just from knowing who the names were - and, in the case of Kenyatta, really just reading the word.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

Narita also sounds like Morita as in Pat Morita, the Japanese-American actor from Happy Days and The Karate Kid.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Giannid wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:16 pm Narita also sounds like Morita as in Pat Morita, the Japanese-American actor from Happy Days and The Karate Kid.
Narita also sounds like Lupita as in Lupita Nyong'o. What now?

There are plenty of times to argue linguistics to TPH. This ain't one of them.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I'm with the "Narita could be Spanish" crowd, since -ita is a common diminuitive femine adjective ending. Like "bebita", meaning "cute little baby girl". But then, if you think of -ita meaning "little", you might walk away from the idea of an airport in a world capital being named "little" something.

But Japanese as a second guess is very, very good. Japanese words, with a few exceptions, are romanized with a vowel following every consonant, and a syllable having two letters (or one if it's a single vowel). For example, na-ri-ta. Every consonant has a vowel. Te-ri-ya-ki. Go, the chess-like game. Ro-ku, the company named after the Japanese word for 6. Vowels can be alone, like O-sa-ka or a-ki-ta.

The exceptions are that "n" can be a single syllable: Ho-n-shu. Another exception is in there - "sh" is a single consonant, in a sense. So is "ts" in "tsu", like "tsu-na-mi". And the syllables "ya, yu, yo" often have a consant before them, like To-kyo. And some consonants can be doubled, like Ni-ppo-n.

For a fun linguistic question: How many US states, aside from Hawaii, can be spelled with only the 12 letters Hawaiian alphabet? This is a Millionaire question, and not hard to get. Just start spewing Hawaiian words - think geography and food, and you'll get them.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:58 pm
For a fun linguistic question: How many US states, aside from Hawaii, can be spelled with only the 12 letters Hawaiian alphabet? This is a Millionaire question, and not hard to get. Just start spewing Hawaiian words - think geography and food, and you'll get them.
Ohio, Iowa, Oklahoma?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:39 pm [Also, Kenyatta (especially Kenyatta) and Louverture, which were placed above Schiphol on the board, were pretty obvious because you could get them just from knowing who the names were - and, in the case of Kenyatta, really just reading the word.
But you still need to get from Kenyatta to Nairobi. For Louverture you need to first know who he was, then where he was from, then finally the capital of that country. I think a lot of people just know Schiphol airport is in Amsterdam without needing any further mental gymnastics.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:42 pm
talkingaway wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:58 pm
Ohio, Iowa, Oklahoma?
Ever see Lilo and Stitch? Ohana means family
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:35 am

Spoiler
M
very good point...this hammer dude thinks every clue should have TOM which should not be the case, especially when it is the top box clue
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:13 am I've got no problem with Narita at $200, but I do think Schiphol was way over valued at $800.
of the 5 i think that was the most difficult...all were fairly easy, but when comparing the 5 i think it was where it should be...it was the only one of 5 that didn't come to me instantly...i guess they could bump up the amsterdam and move down the port au prince airport