The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:21 pm
dhkendall wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:53 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:28 pm "Magnet school" and "solar wind" seemed incredibly tough for the top box. Can we poll the former?
You’d have better luck polling the latter, if you’ve heard the phrase before “attraction” was your TOM. I’ve heard of “magnet schools”, but that’s it. Have no idea what they are but if I was forced to guess, I’d say schools for gifted children. Since I knew magnet schools were things, the TOM drew me there like a magnet.
Three TOCers didn't know a top box clue, so...
Ah, the good old felony that three TOCers did not get a top box clue. Yes, I can poll it, but I want your guess on the % the board denizens will hit.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:25 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:21 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:28 pm "Magnet school" and "solar wind" seemed incredibly tough for the top box. Can we poll the former?
You’d have better luck polling the latter, if you’ve heard the phrase before “attraction” was your TOM. I’ve heard of “magnet schools”, but that’s it. Have no idea what they are but if I was forced to guess, I’d say schools for gifted children. Since I knew magnet schools were things, the TOM drew me there like a magnet.
Three TOCers didn't know a top box clue, so...
Ah, the good old felony that three TOCers did not get a top box clue. Yes, I can poll it, but I want your guess on the % the board denizens will hit.
We're polling the latter then, right? Or I'd be fine with both.

Also, astronomy traditionally has low get rates.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'd say 30 for "magnet school". That'd still put it higher than Ziggy Marley.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:49 pm I'd say 30 for "magnet school". That'd still put it higher than Ziggy Marley.
I'll take the over and not only that I'll raise you 25 and take over 55%. The clue was fine, it had a hint and it was in the right place for top box. Three champions did not know it or chose not to venture a guess. That's fine and it happens. J! Boarders will gladly collect on such circumstances.

Or it could be that I live in a big city and hear the term all the time and don't realize it may not play in Peoria. We'll find out on Saturday.

Volante: I can poll the solar wind one as well. We'll see how the week goes.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:54 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:49 pm I'd say 30 for "magnet school". That'd still put it higher than Ziggy Marley.
I'll take the over and not only that I'll raise you 25 and take over 55%. The clue was fine, it had a hint and it was in the right place for top box. Three champions did not know it or chose not to venture a guess. That's fine and it happens. J! Boarders will gladly collect on such circumstances.

Or it could be that I live in a big city and hear the term all the time and don't realize it may not play in Peoria. We'll find out on Saturday.

I have one about 1.5 miles down the road from me, so it was easy here.
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:54 pm I'll take the over and not only that I'll raise you 25 and take over 55%.
Very aggressive. You. Won't. Be. Pushed. Around. But, I re-raise. Over 74%.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Magnet schools in my experience are ones which draws kids for specific purposes, like a focus on science and technology. Not necessarily gifted, though you will tend to find more gifted or motivated kids attending a magnet school from out of the area.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

I think you’d be better off polling “solar wind.” It was harder due to lack of TOM and plausible alternative in “ozone.”
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Wheatley wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:40 am I think you’d be better off polling “solar wind.” It was harder due to lack of TOM and plausible alternative in “ozone.”
I think it just seems harder because the topic (the intersection of Earth Science and the Solar System/Space) is one that an awful lot of people are rather weak on. For me, the whole category was pretty easy. But I got fascinated with most things about space and space travel while growing up during the 1960s watching the space race.
--Peter
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

econgator wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:12 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:54 pm

I have one about 1.5 miles down the road from me, so it was easy here.
You have a solar wind about 1.5 miles down the road? Sounds like a dangerous neighborhood. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got magnet school but not solar winds. I wasn't certain Portugal had a monarchy in the past but the person being born in Brazil seemed like a big hint it was Portugal.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From March 2, 2016:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:32 pm
I've NHO Devil's Island, but I guessed it anyway off the French cognates. "Small" right below it had me thinking TOO small and trying to
It comes up two or three times a season, so you'll get another crack this season.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:35 pm From March 2, 2016:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:32 pm
I've NHO Devil's Island, but I guessed it anyway off the French cognates. "Small" right below it had me thinking TOO small and trying to
It comes up two or three times a season, so you'll get another crack this season.
At least this time I only said that I didn't recognize it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So I was linked this video by a friend last night:

I told him it was boring and I wasn't interested in anything it had to say. Even though I like dragons.

Which got me thinking: what is the point in learning anything? I can tell you where every closed up Hardee's in Michigan is. But what benefit is that to anyone else? What benefit is there to anyone knowing about Charlemagne or president Monroe or calculus?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:28 pm Which got me thinking: what is the point in learning anything? I can tell you where every closed up Hardee's in Michigan is. But what benefit is that to anyone else? What benefit is there to anyone knowing about Charlemagne or president Monroe or calculus?
The words of the wise are like goads, and like nails firmly fixed are the collected sayings; they are given by one Shepherd. Beware of anything beyond these, my son. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:35 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:28 pm Which got me thinking: what is the point in learning anything? I can tell you where every closed up Hardee's in Michigan is. But what benefit is that to anyone else? What benefit is there to anyone knowing about Charlemagne or president Monroe or calculus?
The words of the wise are like goads, and like nails firmly fixed are the collected sayings; they are given by one Shepherd. Beware of anything beyond these, my son. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
In English please?
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:28 pm
In English please?
Solomon tells you in the Bible that "it's cool to be smart".
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:28 pmWhat benefit is there to anyone knowing about Charlemagne or president Monroe or calculus?
Calculus, or more generally mathematics, allows us to build things. Like airplanes and skyscrapers and computers. Knowledge of history keeps us from repeating the mistakes of the past (like slavery and 10,000 lightbulb designs that don’t work) and keeps alive the dreams for the future (maybe getting a man to the moon and returning him safely).

The alternative to learning is ignorance, which leads to a life that is dark, brutish, and short.

There is also a distinction between knowing things and making is of that knowledge. Knowing where every closed Hardee’s was in Michigan by itself isn’t very useful. But if you study those locations to figure out why they closed, you might be able to distinguish between a good place and a bad place to open a fast food restaurant. That could be very useful to know if you were going to open such a restaurant.
--Peter
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:28 pm
In English please?
The pursuit of knowledge wears you out and doesn't accomplish anything. It's all futility.
RoJo
Contributor

Post by RoJo »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:28 pm So I was linked this video by a friend last night:

I told him it was boring and I wasn't interested in anything it had to say. Even though I like dragons.

Which got me thinking: what is the point in learning anything? I can tell you where every closed up Hardee's in Michigan is. But what benefit is that to anyone else? What benefit is there to anyone knowing about Charlemagne or president Monroe or calculus?
Had you persisted with the video, you would have encountered the legend of Ouroboros, which strikes me as an appropriate symbol for this entire thread.