The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:28 pm So should I stop wasting mine too, since I'm clearly never gonna get this? I literally had to sit down and figure out 592+8 on paper.
Yes
That still doesn't answer:
But what if it's 1400-572? Or 1400-593? Or 1400-692?
Considering my above suggestion, it no longer matters.
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:28 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:01 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:29 pm Seriously? You think all of these are equally hard?
Stop wasting your time.
So should I stop wasting mine too, since I'm clearly never gonna get this? I literally had to sit down and figure out 592+8 on paper.

That still doesn't answer:
But what if it's 1400-572? Or 1400-593? Or 1400-692?
Look, this is literally grade school math, 1st to 3rd grade level here. to answer the other questions, 1400-600 will be the by far the easiest calculation. You shouldn't even need to do it with pencil and paper. So the trick is to convert the other numbers to 600, which you can also do in your head. Then combine the two together. I mean if you can't do 592+8 in your head, you should probably work on simple math facts first.

You're asking us for tricks to do this, but you need a certain amount of knowledge. In this case, grade school arithmetic.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

For some reason, the teen-minus single digit ones always trip me up. 14-8 just doesn't "feel" like it should be 6 to me. Nor does 13-8 "feel" like it should be 5.

And I have to do 592+8 on paper because it just doesn't "feel" like it should come out to 600.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:33 am For some reason, the teen-minus single digit ones always trip me up. 14-8 just doesn't "feel" like it should be 6 to me. Nor does 13-8 "feel" like it should be 5.

And I have to do 592+8 on paper because it just doesn't "feel" like it should come out to 600.
What's 2+8?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:55 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:33 am For some reason, the teen-minus single digit ones always trip me up. 14-8 just doesn't "feel" like it should be 6 to me. Nor does 13-8 "feel" like it should be 5.

What's 2+8?
Not the same thing as 592+8.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

What's 2+8? Now, what's 59+1? Bim-bam-boom
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:22 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:55 am

What's 2+8?
Not the same thing as 592+8.
Yeah, I'd go back to grade school to learn the differences between the ones, tens, and hundreds places.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:31 pm What's 2+8? Now, what's 59+1? Bim-bam-boom
Where are you getting the 1 from?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

December 1:
I thought the top boxes were unnaturally steep today:

"Cruise ship" was extremely tough for $200 as well. Saw no way to figure that one out at all.

Also saw no way to figure out "Washington Monument" at $200.

Also saw no way to figure out Spain, Common Cold, Philippines, or explosive in the top box. Explain?

How does "land office" fit the category?
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:49 pm
NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:31 pm What's 2+8? Now, what's 59+1? Bim-bam-boom
2+8=10

590+10 --> Simplify by removing the zeroes --> 59+1=60 --> Put the zero back --> 600
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:30 pm"blah blah blah country blah blah blah kangaroo" = not even close to Australia. Totally unfair.
Well, Indonesia is just north of Australia. So finding a type of kangaroo there wouldn't be surprising. (Although I'm with you in falling for that neg bait.) Also, the answer is the 4th most populous country. So that should force a rethink of our first instincts - Australia isn't anywhere near the top of the population list. (I just checked wikipedia and they have it at number 53).

So the question is really "What is the 4th most populous country?" with a hint that it's close to Australia.
--Peter
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:10 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:30 pm"blah blah blah country blah blah blah kangaroo" = not even close to Australia. Totally unfair.
Well, Indonesia is just north of Australia. So finding a type of kangaroo there wouldn't be surprising. (Although I'm with you in falling for that neg bait.) Also, the answer is the 4th most populous country. So that should force a rethink of our first instincts - Australia isn't anywhere near the top of the population list. (I just checked wikipedia and they have it at number 53).

So the question is really "What is the 4th most populous country?" with a hint that it's close to Australia.
Because screw Pavlovs, right? 99.99999999999% of the time, kangaroo = Australia. Why randomly make it suddenly not be?
Peter the accountant

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:12 pmBecause screw Pavlovs, right? 99.99999999999% of the time, kangaroo = Australia. Why randomly make it suddenly not be?
Pavlovs generally serve you well. But they're not perfect. Such is the nature of a game. What fun would the game be to watch if players on TV didn't make mistakes? I'm sure we're far from alone in making that mistake. You don't want a game full of these kinds of questions, but you probably want one or two per game to keep the players on their toes and perhaps trip them up. Recovery from an unexpected mistake is an important part of the game.

And I learned something watching this question. I thought kangaroos were exclusive to Australia. I guess everyone else did, too. At least until 2005.
--Peter
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:32 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:12 pmBecause screw Pavlovs, right? 99.99999999999% of the time, kangaroo = Australia. Why randomly make it suddenly not be?
Pavlovs generally serve you well. But they're not perfect. Such is the nature of a game. What fun would the game be to watch if players on TV didn't make mistakes? I'm sure we're far from alone in making that mistake. You don't want a game full of these kinds of questions, but you probably want one or two per game to keep the players on their toes and perhaps trip them up. Recovery from an unexpected mistake is an important part of the game.

And I learned something watching this question. I thought kangaroos were exclusive to Australia. I guess everyone else did, too. At least until 2005.
So it's okay to totally throw a red herring into a clue to make a player screw up? That's like saying that "This actor did a thing" is a valid clue.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:49 pm Common Cold, explosive, Spain in the top box. Explain?
I'd like to coin a new acronym - YOK, for "You Oughta Know." It's my retort to YEKOID, on the basis that it's reasonably common knowledge, and that it'll probably be used as a TOM in future games, so it's for your benefit.

YOK Semtex is a type of plastic explosive

YOK Granada is part of Spain

YOK "Rhinovirus" is the technical term for the common cold, and failing that, that it literally means "nose-virus,"
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:59 pm ...the hell is a debutante?
FTFY
Peter the accountant

TWA = Trans World Airlines
--Peter
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:49 pm
But you didn't ask where he got the 59 from?
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:49 pm December 1:

I thought the top boxes were unnaturally steep today:

"Cruise ship" was extremely tough for $200 as well. Saw no way to figure that one out at all.

Also saw no way to figure out "Washington Monument" at $200.

Also saw no way to figure out Spain, Common Cold, Philippines, or explosive in the top box. Explain?

How does "land office" fit the category?
What kind of transportation would have a "cabin 10"? What did you wind up guessing? I can think of one wrong answer I would have given.

What are the monuments you know in DC? Obviously with the time, Lincoln Memorial is not the answer, so pick another one.

The category for the common cold was "Common" knowledge. How many things do you know which have the word "common" in them? And how many of them are illnesses?
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

10 pages later and we're still trying to explain the concept of "subtraction". The J! community is truly one of a kind.