The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by heppm01 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:51 amShould I just accept this? How can I get better?
I guess enough new people have joined the forum since the last time he asked this that someone is bound to fall for it, full of wild-eyed enthusiasm for "helping this hammer guy out".

Welcome to the forum, new guy. Someone will be by in five pages to sweep up your desiccated husk.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:29 pm French Authors? Yeah, I'm screwed here. Correct response doesn't ring any bells for me.
That's what you said when it came up in 2017 and 2015. We'll look forward to 2021 now.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:07 pm Half the archive hits I get by doing "born on the fourth of july" site:j-archive.com are false positives (i.e., category names, clues saying that a famous person was born on the Fourth of July, etc.). The few that are actual hits are much further down the board, and the next-most recent is from 2009. Things can be popular and award-winning in their heyday yet fade from consciousness in the intervening years.
Try searching for Ron Kovic:

http://j-archive.com/search.php?search= ... mit=Search

That gets 16 good hits and only one false positive. (The false positive has "john malKOVICh" in the clue and "the man in the iRON mask" in the response. Really, archive?)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:47 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:07 pm Half the archive hits I get by doing "born on the fourth of july" site:j-archive.com are false positives (i.e., category names, clues saying that a famous person was born on the Fourth of July, etc.). The few that are actual hits are much further down the board, and the next-most recent is from 2009. Things can be popular and award-winning in their heyday yet fade from consciousness in the intervening years.

That gets 16 good hits and only one false positive. (The false positive has "john malKOVICh" in the clue and "the man in the iRON mask" in the response. Really, archive?)
"Glory" will probably be a lot harder to get a bead on because of the commonness of the word.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:14 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:47 pm

"Glory" will probably be a lot harder to get a bead on because of the commonness of the word.
I remember teachers loved to show Glory in the classroom. Pepsi made an edited version for classroom use (of course, with the Pepsi logo prominently displayed during the introduction) that removed a scene where somebody gets their head blown off.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:56 pm I remember teachers loved to show Glory in the classroom. Pepsi made an edited version for classroom use (of course, with the Pepsi logo prominently displayed during the introduction) that removed a scene where somebody gets their head blown off.
For some reason I don't even remember us covering much war stuff in HS history. I know we watched part of "Saving Private Ryan", but all I remember is my teacher frantically hitting mute every time someone swore, and then giving up on the movie because she couldn't keep up.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:01 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:56 pm I remember teachers loved to show Glory in the classroom. Pepsi made an edited version for classroom use (of course, with the Pepsi logo prominently displayed during the introduction) that removed a scene where somebody gets their head blown off.
For some reason I don't even remember us covering much war stuff in HS history. I know we watched part of "Saving Private Ryan", but all I remember is my teacher frantically hitting mute every time someone swore, and then giving up on the movie because she couldn't keep up.
i don't remember much of what was taught in high school...rarely went due to skipping, suspended and 2 times expelled....public school in usa blows
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:31 pm "Pretty Woman" is a film?!
As opposed to...?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Wheatley wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:40 am
As opposed to...?
A song by Roy Orbison to which the title of the film clearly alludes and which appears in the soundtrack of the film?

And the answer of course is, yes. The song by Roy Orbison is "Oh, Pretty Woman" so there's no possible way to confuse the two titles.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:31 am
As opposed to...?
A song by Roy Orbison to which the title of the film clearly alludes and which appears in the soundtrack of the film?

And the answer of course is, yes. The song by Roy Orbison is "Oh, Pretty Woman" so there's no possible way to confuse the two titles.
And I know the Roy Orbison song, and the existence of the word "Oh" in its title. I didn't know that the "Oh"-less title was in use for ANYthing.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:26 am
As opposed to...?

And I know the Roy Orbison song, and the existence of the word "Oh" in its title. I didn't know that the "Oh"-less title was in use for ANYthing.
I never ever thought I'd say this in this day and age, but some people need to consume more entertainment media.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:12 am
As opposed to...?

I never ever thought I'd say this in this day and age, but some people need to consume more entertainment media.

don't even need to consume it...i would expect most people have heard of that movie even without having ever seen it
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

As opposed to...?

Now you know "This Julia Roberts film..." for $200 is probably "Pretty Woman." You may not like it or agree with it, but association is how you make the big bucks.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wheatley wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:21 pm Now you know "This Julia Roberts film..." for $200 is probably "Pretty Woman." You may not like it or agree with it, but association is how you make the big bucks.
Because that's the only film she's ever been in , right?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:26 pm
Wheatley wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:21 pm Now you know "This Julia Roberts film..." for $200 is probably "Pretty Woman." You may not like it or agree with it, but association is how you make the big bucks.
that is her pavlovian movie
BaneWilliams

Post by BaneWilliams »

heppm01 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:16 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:51 amShould I just accept this? How can I get better?
I guess enough new people have joined the forum since the last time he asked this that someone is bound to fall for it, full of wild-eyed enthusiasm for "helping this hammer guy out".

Welcome to the forum, new guy. Someone will be by in five pages to sweep up your desiccated husk.
Look. I was tempted, then I saw the first posts were from 2014 and decided against it.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

If you have no guess, Pretty Woman is better than that.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 12:32 am
If you have no guess, Pretty Woman is better than that.
Well, assuming you have to guess--i.e. it's a DD or FJ. Otherwise, clamming is a good option. But if forced to guess, even Mystic Pizza is better than NO guess. SECONDHAND LIONS (because you got her mixed up with Kyra Sedgwick) is better than no guess. But, yeah. For a $200 clue, unless something in the clue leads away from it, Pretty Woman is pretty much the best response for a Julia Roberts film.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:39 pm "His death in 632 AD led to a disupte over whether Abu Bakr or Ali was his true successor."

I got nothin'.
The category was founders of religion. You got nothin' out of the successors having Arabic names, or the prompt of the 7th Century?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wheatley wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:31 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:39 pm "His death in 632 AD led to a disupte over whether Abu Bakr or Ali was his true successor."

I got nothin'.
The category was founders of religion. You got nothin' out of the successors having Arabic names, or the prompt of the 7th Century?
I know that Muhammad has something to do with Islam, but exactly what, I didn't know. Also had no idea what nationality names like "Abu Bakr" could be from, or when Islam was started.

I seem to have a problem of only half-knowing things. I can match Muhammad to Islam and vice-versa, but beyond that I'm lost. I can match Leo Tolstoy = Russian author and War and Peace or Anna Karenina = Russian literature, but I don't think I've ever successfully matched him to either book.