The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:37 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:36 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:24 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:03 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:52 am

24k is a height that no mountain outside Asia reaches, that's why.
There are a ton of mountains in South America that are 22K. If your numerical search on mountains isn't that fine-tuned, then Gangkar Puensum could be in South America.

Or if you don't know that Kilimanjaro is only 19K, then Gangkar Puensum could be in Africa. Or hell, maybe it's in Antarctica. Or Europe.
And if you don't know that George Washington was the first president, you're going to miss out on clues about him too. Luckily for Jeopardy, the facts don't change based on what you know.
But that's knowing the FIRST, not the 24th President. It's knowing a superlative, not some random number in between.
Knowing who the 24th president was will also help you on Jeopardy every now and then.
Once again: Cleveland Rocks!
OCSam
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:03 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:52 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:51 am
Volante wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:39 am 22841 may not be, but 24000 is. If you see a mountain breaking 24k, think Asia, not zebras.
Why should I think 24K = Asia? I'm pretty sure South America and Africa have high mountains too. 24 is just such an arbitrary cutoff.
24k is a height that no mountain outside Asia reaches, that's why.
There are a ton of mountains in South America that are 22K. If your numerical search on mountains isn't that fine-tuned, then Gangkar Puensum could be in South America.

Or if you don't know that Kilimanjaro is only 19K, then Gangkar Puensum could be in Africa. Or hell, maybe it's in Antarctica. Or Europe.
It's your call, you could either learn that all the 24K+ mountains are in Asia, or you can learn that Bhutan is an Asian nation in the Himalayas. Either of those bits would have gotten you this clue, and either (or both) could help you in the future. Knowing what continent a particular country is on will often get you Jeopardy clues. They're not going to ask you who the prime minister of Comoros is or to name the sultan of Bahrain, but they very well may use a relatively obscure country like that as a clue to a continent or part of the world. Sporcle has lots of quizzes to help you learn all ~200 countries, either all at once or by continent. If you don't want to learn them then it's your choice but don't expect to stop seeing clues like this.
brick

Post by brick »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:15 am
The Eiffel Tower could be 23K.
Wow.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

brick wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:35 pm
Wow.
I'm curious now what a 23,000 foot tall Eiffel Tower would look like. Like I have trouble even imagining that :).
brick

Post by brick »

Vowela wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:52 pm
brick wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:35 pm
Wow.
I'm curious now what a 23,000 foot tall Eiffel Tower would look like. Like I have trouble even imagining that :).
I feel like the right person could photoshop that pretty easily. I am not that person. The base would be over a mile square.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Since this thread finally fell off page 1, I present: How TPH derped the two FJ!s that polled over 90% this week.

Thursday's clue: "In 1883 a Catholic diocese sold this to the state of Texas for $20,000."

I actually read the clue on this very forum during the commercial break, a trick I've started doing to see if it sets the wheels in motion. So far, no luck.

Okay, Catholic, so it must be a religious landmark of some kind. Is there some kind of famous church in Texas? Not off the top of my head. A cathedral? Religious statue? Nope, nothing's coming to mind. Okay, throw out Catholic, see if you can just pick a Texas landmark. Well, it's a huge state... uh... uhh.... uhh..... Time's up, I got nothing. Even without knowing the religious aspect of the Alamo (I thought it was just like, a fort or something), I should easily have been able to just go "Texas landmark = Alamo, done", but it just wasn't there.

Friday's clue: In this ’70s Oscar-winning film, the title character’s 1st words are “Why did you go to the police? Why didn’t you come to me first?”

I read the clue first, so I didn't have the "advantage" of Trebek's accent, which I honestly didn't even interpret as any sort of hint anyway. "Police" had me thinking on the crime angle a bit too literally, and thinking of straightforward, cops-and-robbers type crime. Unable to match any 1970s movie directly to that, I kept going through random 1970s films, with none of the few that I could think of having any sort of criminal element to them. Once again, the music ended before I could even finish thinking of a guess. Had I thought of The Godfather, then I probably would've rejected it because, again, "police" is stored in a massively different part of my brain than is anything Mafia-related. A few more seconds and I might've thrown down Jaws as a total WAG.

tl;dr: I seem to be capable of starting in the wrong direction and only veering further off course.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:30 pm Liam Neeson = Taken rings no bells for me.
And it's probably only the most parodied and referenced movie monologue of the past decade. (It was released in the US in Jan 2009! I can still use 'decade'!)
What did that Mooch clue have to do with "Filters"?
Mooch was famous for being very...blunt in his pressers. The gimmick of the category was people saying stuff without an internal "keep this clean" filter.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:38 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:30 pm Liam Neeson = Taken rings no bells for me.
And it's probably only the most parodied and referenced movie monologue of the past decade. (It was released in the US in Jan 2009! I can still use 'decade'!)
The phone scene? No, still not even the tiniest bit familiar. Where have such parodies been?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:42 pm The phone scene? No, still not even the tiniest bit familiar. Where have such parodies been?
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ken+parody
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

trainman wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:56 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:42 pm The phone scene? No, still not even the tiniest bit familiar. Where have such parodies been?
The first two that come up are Jimmy Kimmel and Family Guy, both of which I find about as entertaining as shoving my nuts into a bear trap.

Seriously though, not the slightest bit of recognition at all.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I gotta go with Hammer's take on this one... Absolutely zero clue what this movie was, and the parodies don't do anything for me either. Not even after watching the original scenes so I had a reference point.
mujason

Post by mujason »

The "particular set of skills" bit was used in the J! round categories in this game:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4212
-Jason
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:03 pm
The first two that come up are Jimmy Kimmel and Family Guy, both of which I find about as entertaining as shoving my nuts into a bear trap.

Seriously though, not the slightest bit of recognition at all.
Worldwide gross is just short of a billion dollars for the series, so it's not like it's obscure.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:53 pm "Liquid gold" had me thinking of some valuable mineral or liquid and coming up blank. I could've taken 10,000 guesses and never come up with olive oil. How was this a triple get, and how exactly do you counterfeit olive oil? It's not like it's THAT valuable...
When it comes to olive oil, place of origin (Italian) and grade (extra virgin) both command a price premium.

Courtesy of tonight's TJ!F recap, here is a 2016 60 Minutes piece about the fraud perpetrated by the Agromafia in various foods, including olive oil.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

mfc248 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:42 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:53 pm "Liquid gold" had me thinking of some valuable mineral or liquid and coming up blank. I could've taken 10,000 guesses and never come up with olive oil. How was this a triple get, and how exactly do you counterfeit olive oil? It's not like it's THAT valuable...
When it comes to olive oil, place of origin (Italian) and grade (extra virgin) both command a price premium.
But if you're IN Italy, where it's more readily available, then wouldn't it be cheaper?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:50 pm
mfc248 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:42 pm
But if you're IN Italy, where it's more readily available, then wouldn't it be cheaper?
Except the biggest market is the US. So, there is money to be made in convincing people that Product X comes from someplace where you can charge a premium when, in fact, Product X is a cheaper alternative. A small amount of money - $1 per product, for example - adds up in a hurry when you're selling hundreds of thousands or millions of products in the US and consumers probably can't tell the difference on their own. Again, keep in mind that the "fake" product often looks, tastes and smells like the real one.

The real product usually costs more to produce because the process may not be mechanized or any number of reasons. So, authentic producers spend a lot of money to try to get labeling that allows consumers to figure out which is the real thing and which is "fake."

I thought it was interesting to find out that there is an "agromafia."
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Too bad we don't have Alex's pseduo-Corleone to mention this, but "Genco Olive Oil Importing Company" was the first cover for the Godfather's criminal empire. In Part 2, when Vito returns to Italy to take revenge for the death of his father and brother, the pretext for his introduction to the Sicilian crime boss was to get permission to begin the business. Later, there's a scene of the company's sign being hoisted above the storefront in Little Italy in New York.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:03 pm
Be honest. Do you really have a basis for comparison?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here you go with the image:
Spoiler
The clue put a Police song in my head.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:37 pm Here you go with the image:
Spoiler
The clue put a Police song in my head.
I'll go along with TPH on this one - the bottle neck is hidden in shadow - what catches the eye is the gold. It could be a gold bar. The paper disappears into the sand (or cloth?) around it. It's not in the bottle...And who puts a form message in a bottle, anyway??