The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Then don't guess (and only answer what you know - there's no real money on the line anyways), don't tell us about it, or don't watch the show. Simple.
Amen
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

January (OB) 1

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote:...So it's "obstetrics", not "obstretics". Noted.
First the category required a word with the form "o_____c".

Second the clue asked for an adjective: "Pertaining to...."

So it's "obstetric", not "obstetrics", which is a noun for the particular field of medicine.
OCSam
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

zakharov wrote:If the reason you're not guessing is that it's hurting your Coryat, maybe take a break from keeping Coryats. I can promise you that by deciding beforehand that you won't know something, you won't learn the answer.

What's your ultimate goal? To get on the show? To learn new stuff? To get better at answering J-type trivia questions? To impress a bunch of message board geeks?
If you have a goal of getting on the show, then I would say yes, looking at your Coryats can be helpful. But it's only step 1; you also need to do something about improving them as well. There are two things that it seems need to be looked at:

1. Signaling device strategy. When I first started tracking Coryats, I realized that a quick (within a few weeks) improvement was in not throwing out the wild guesses--over time I feel that I hone in better on what I know and what I don't know. I also learned that if I thought I had a halfway decent guess at a low value clue, I would probably take the chance, but unless I was pretty certain about I high $ clue, I wouldn't take the guess.

2. Identifying the subject matter that you don't know and dedicating yourself to learning them. I would say the common Pavlovs are a start, but after that, you just have to identify the subject matter and study. There aren't always shortcuts for everything.

If you don't have a goal of getting on the show, I wouldn't bother tracking Coryats. If you are just interested in learning more, write down the questions / answers that you don't know, and look them up when the show is over. You won't retain 100%, but over time, some of it will sink in. That's the secret to learning more, having that voracious appetite for learning.
Sheepin' it real.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

harrumph wrote:This thread should bestickied deleted and forgotten.
fyp
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

MarkBarrett wrote:J! has four places for viewers to always take a guess (some home players will guess on everything) with the Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy! You should always try to say something when those come up. 85% of the guesses may be wrong; that's okay. All we want to see is a guess in the FJ! round for a city, a country, a British king or a president when relevant. We'll save movies, TV shows or books for 2016.

You know WOF well. Let's say you make it to the bonus round:

_ R E _ T

_ _ _ T E

S _ _ R _

Category: Thing

RSTLNE - you add WHAM

_ R E A T

WH _ T E

S H A R _

Hammer: I not going to guess! It could be literally anything... Great White Shard, Great White Shark, Great White Sharp...and time's up.
Mark... you harshin' on my man TPH?!? This is an EdThread not a BeatTPHonHisHeadThread!!

TPH take no notice of the small man behind the curtain! I am the great and powerful Goatman!

Also: We're from the Government and we're here to help!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Read this article today and immediately thought of our favourite Hammer. TPH, the first two points (numbered #5 and #4 to make it more clear) are for you: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-popular-e ... aningless/
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Post by ZachTheRiah »

If your goal is to get on the show, one thing I do that helps me is keep track of not only a Coryat, but also track what I know (the "no neg" or "KScore"). The KScore takes out the element of guessing wrong and being penalized. As I'm starting to build knowledge to get on the show, it helps me not focus on in-game strategy of knowing when to guess--at least not at first--but on building a solid knowledge base. I totally understand what it feel likes to look at a category and almost feel like you give up on it, but putting the focus on what you don't know isn't beneficial, especially when you're not comfortable.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

goatman wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:J! has four places for viewers to always take a guess (some home players will guess on everything) with the Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy! You should always try to say something when those come up. 85% of the guesses may be wrong; that's okay. All we want to see is a guess in the FJ! round for a city, a country, a British king or a president when relevant. We'll save movies, TV shows or books for 2016.

WOF thing...
Mark... you harshin' on my man TPH?!? This is an EdThread not a BeatTPHonHisHeadThread!!

TPH take no notice of the small man behind the curtain! I am the great and powerful Goatman!

Also: We're from the Government and we're here to help!
I mean no malice with Hammer. I was just having a little fun with the WOF thing. We've both been around here long enough that the give and take is nothing new.

I'm the 5'2" guy who played J! on a big box. Why you bringing my height into this? At least you didn't target the lack of hair. :)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

zakharov wrote:What's your ultimate goal? To get on the show? To learn new stuff? To get better at answering J-type trivia questions? To impress a bunch of message board geeks?
I think just to suck less playing the game from home and maybe learn new stuff as a bonus. But I'm seriously getting way, way WORSE the more I play.
TheyCallMeMrKid

TenPoundHammer wrote:
zakharov wrote:What's your ultimate goal? To get on the show? To learn new stuff? To get better at answering J-type trivia questions? To impress a bunch of message board geeks?
I think just to suck less playing the game from home and maybe learn new stuff as a bonus. But I'm seriously getting way, way WORSE the more I play.
Do you drink while you watch? Alcohol kills brain cells.

If not, maybe you should. You won't get any better, but you won't care as much either. :shock:
Sheepin' it real.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
I would start by suggesting don't bother with your Coryat for a few months - the Coryat tracking method is really suggested around here for those who want to be on the show, worrying about the minutae of day to day scores isn't going to help you if you're just playing for fun and maybe get better. (BTW, this is also why, along with my daily Coryats, I also track monthly averages as well, which have (slowly) been going up (about 1,000 to 2,000 more every year). Glacial pace and it *will* frustrate someone like you. But, for someone like me, not only is it showing in the small picture that I'm in the zone to pass the test and potentially get on, but my (on the surface, glacial-speed) monthly improvements tell me I'm playing better. That is more what you should be screaming about, if you *must* track Coryats, don't scream when one day's sucks, I have those too. Scream if your monthly averages are going down consistently, and over the period of years, not even month-to-month.

ETA: If you *really* want to find out if you're playing better and if you're retaining stuff - does your market have Daytime Jeopardy (or repeats at all)? If so, then it's great exercise to compare your Coryat from when you first played it to when you see it in repeat many months later.

I would also echo Mr. Kid's advice of writing down what you don't know and look them up instead of asking us. My wife has a friend that calls us up to ask *everything* (what's so-and-so's phone number? (she never writes it down); when do the monthly tax rebate cheques come? ("call the government at 1-800-O-CANADA" "oh, but you have a computer, you can check for me!")). I don't like it when people I know do it, you can imagine how I (and everyone else here) feels when someone we don't know (personally) asks us to do their work for them. http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=australis

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Caboom

Post by Caboom »

dhkendall wrote:I would also echo Mr. Kid's advice of writing down what you don't know and look them up instead of asking us. My wife has a friend that calls us up to ask *everything* (what's so-and-so's phone number? (she never writes it down); when do the monthly tax rebate cheques come? ("call the government at 1-800-O-CANADA" "oh, but you have a computer, you can check for me!")). I don't like it when people I know do it, you can imagine how I (and everyone else here) feels when someone we don't know (personally) asks us to do their work for them. http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=australis
Perhaps you shouldn't speak for everyone, especially as there are people, including me, who have in this very thread said they enjoy his comments.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Caboom wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I would also echo Mr. Kid's advice of writing down what you don't know and look them up instead of asking us. My wife has a friend that calls us up to ask *everything* (what's so-and-so's phone number? (she never writes it down); when do the monthly tax rebate cheques come? ("call the government at 1-800-O-CANADA" "oh, but you have a computer, you can check for me!")). I don't like it when people I know do it, you can imagine how I (and everyone else here) feels when someone we don't know (personally) asks us to do their work for them. http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=australis
Perhaps you shouldn't speak for everyone, especially as there are people, including me, who have in this very thread said they enjoy his comments.
I concur
TheyCallMeMrKid

Leander wrote:
Caboom wrote:Perhaps you shouldn't speak for everyone, especially as there are people, including me, who have in this very thread said they enjoy his comments.
I concur
Yeah, I kind of like looking up other people's questions. At work, my friends call me "Google" because I'm the one who answers most of those random questions that come up in conversation, either by knowing them myself, or by pulling out my phone and looking them up. I don't like to move on without finding out who was that actor on that show last night, or which countries share a border with Poland, etc. I feel like the rest of my friends would just move on without giving it a second thought, but I can't.

I can't remember what led me there, but it is this type of curiosity that allowed me to find out that
Spoiler
Fred Gwynne
was originally asked to play Mr. Hand in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", but turned it down after reading the script and finding it too obscene.
Sheepin' it real.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Leander wrote:
Caboom wrote:
I concur
Oh I like his comments too, I definitely consider him a fixture here and the place would not be the same without him, but I feel he'll learn better if he looks things up himself and might even find additional stuff in addition to what we tell him. I fully cop to my error of thinking I can speak for a group that is as diverse as the board though, for that I apologize.

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:I would start by suggesting don't bother with your Coryat for a few months - the Coryat tracking method is really suggested around here for those who want to be on the show, worrying about the minutae of day to day scores isn't going to help you if you're just playing for fun and maybe get better. (BTW, this is also why, along with my daily Coryats, I also track monthly averages as well, which have (slowly) been going up (about 1,000 to 2,000 more every year). Glacial pace and it *will* frustrate someone like you. But, for someone like me, not only is it showing in the small picture that I'm in the zone to pass the test and potentially get on, but my (on the surface, glacial-speed) monthly improvements tell me I'm playing better. That is more what you should be screaming about, if you *must* track Coryats, don't scream when one day's sucks, I have those too. Scream if your monthly averages are going down consistently, and over the period of years, not even month-to-month.
I've been tracking my Coryats since 2009, and I'm seeing a steady decrease from the $20,000 range to about $10,000-$15,000 in the past couple seasons. I'm also noticing that so far this season, in addition to my Coryats plummeting even further, I'm negging a lot more. Before this season, I typically had no more than 0-2 negs, but this season I'm averaging 3-4 per game. So there is a pattern, just not a good one.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I would start by suggesting don't bother with your Coryat for a few months - the Coryat tracking method is really suggested around here for those who want to be on the show, worrying about the minutae of day to day scores isn't going to help you if you're just playing for fun and maybe get better. (BTW, this is also why, along with my daily Coryats, I also track monthly averages as well, which have (slowly) been going up (about 1,000 to 2,000 more every year). Glacial pace and it *will* frustrate someone like you. But, for someone like me, not only is it showing in the small picture that I'm in the zone to pass the test and potentially get on, but my (on the surface, glacial-speed) monthly improvements tell me I'm playing better. That is more what you should be screaming about, if you *must* track Coryats, don't scream when one day's sucks, I have those too. Scream if your monthly averages are going down consistently, and over the period of years, not even month-to-month.
I've been tracking my Coryats since 2009, and I'm seeing a steady decrease from the $20,000 range to about $10,000-$15,000 in the past couple seasons. I'm also noticing that so far this season, in addition to my Coryats plummeting even further, I'm negging a lot more. Before this season, I typically had no more than 0-2 negs, but this season I'm averaging 3-4 per game. So there is a pattern, just not a good one.
So stop counting negs for a while, just throw out your best guess on literally every clue. It seems you've gotten inside your own head so that now you're clamming on answers that you know out of fear while still guessing wrong too many times. Just forget the negs and guess something for every clue, you should have a lot more fun that way, and you might be surprised to see how much stuff you actually know if you don't have to worry about being wrong.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:* Cross of Scotland = St. Andrew's? Never heard of it.
For the future ....

Scotland = St. Andrew
England = St. George
Wales = St. David
Ireland (all of it) = St. Patrick
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
So stop counting negs for a while, just throw out your best guess on literally every clue. It seems you've gotten inside your own head so that now you're clamming on answers that you know out of fear while still guessing wrong too many times. Just forget the negs and guess something for every clue, you should have a lot more fun that way, and you might be surprised to see how much stuff you actually know if you don't have to worry about being wrong.
And don't count Coryats. The only reason one needs to do that is if they're tracking their progress for the show. Almost everyone here that hasn't been on wants to go on, so the Coryat advice is dispensed frequently, but it doesn't apply to you. You don't need to play like someone going on the show (ringing in only on ones you know with at least 80% certainty, eschewing guesses) because you don't want to go on. Watch it like my wife does (someone else who doesn't want to go on, she only attempts answering about half a dozen per ep (and takes perverted joy in answering before me) and doesn't even watch every day. And none of that bothers her because she doesn't want to get on. (Heck I'll probably do that after I go on). So don't track like we do because we're doing it for a different reason.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

And, I will (sort of) repeat what Jeff said: Have fun. If you are not having fun while watching, find something else more fun to do.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.