The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by teapot37 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:00 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:53 pm
teapot37 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:51 pm

I think his point was that a bordering country is not likely to be the farthest away from the UK.
It could be. They once had an FJ! about "First president to X since Obama" and the answer was Clinton, only TWO PRESIDENTS PRIOR.
I would like to know what possible fluke of geography would lead somewhere to be simultaneously a direct neighbor as well as thousands of miles away.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:02 pm

teapot37 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:00 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:53 pm
teapot37 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:51 pm

I think his point was that a bordering country is not likely to be the farthest away from the UK.
It could be. They once had an FJ! about "First president to X since Obama" and the answer was Clinton, only TWO PRESIDENTS PRIOR.
I would like to know what possible fluke of geography would lead somewhere to be simultaneously a direct neighbor as well as thousands of miles away.
The clue was "Of the 16 Commonwealth nations with Queen Elizabeth II as head of state, this one is farthest from the United Kingdom"

Nothing about "thousands of miles away" in the clue. For all I know it's ten FEET away.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 759
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: Cass County, Missouri

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Ironhorse » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:03 pm

The clue states there are 16 nations. How could it be a neighboring country?
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5943
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:12 pm

Ironhorse wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:03 pm
The clue states there are 16 nations. How could it be a neighboring country?
Clearly they -all- border the UK

User avatar
mikebdoss
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by mikebdoss » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:23 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:07 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:12 am
I've won over $900 in HQ. Do you think the 277* correct answers I gave in the games I won were all things I knew?
Yes, and how many more times did you take a guess only to be wrong?
You're missing the point. If you don't guess, you will be wrong. If you do guess, you might be right. If seaborgium didn't guess, he'd be $900 poorer.

jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:44 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by jeffwolfe » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:15 pm

CailinGaoilge wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:53 pm
teapot37 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:51 pm
CailinGaoilge wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:42 pm
jeffwolfe wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:17 pm
Not knowing about the Commonwealth is certainly going to work against you. But the only country in the world to border the UK (Ireland) is not going to be a correct response to that clue. The full name of the UK might be a clue: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
But the Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK. As it happens, the country is not and never has been a member of the Commonwealth, but you can't exclude Ireland on the basis that it is part of the UK.
I think his point was that a bordering country is not likely to be the farthest away from the UK.
Ah! That makes sense. Thanks for the response.
Yes, that was my point. Ireland withdrew from the Commonwealth in 1949. Ireland is a republic, so it's obviously not a Commonwealth realm even if it were still in the Commonwealth (the clue writers spell out what a Commonwealth realm is, presumably to help those who don't know). But I was trying to avoid politics/government since TPH expressed ignorance about the Commonwealth. Basic geography should eliminate Ireland, and you might even say Australia or New Zealand even if you didn't know they were Commonwealth realms. If all you know is the full name of the UK, you still should be able to eliminate Ireland with some degree of confidence.

jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:44 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by jeffwolfe » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:27 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:53 pm
teapot37 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:51 pm

I think his point was that a bordering country is not likely to be the farthest away from the UK.
It could be. They once had an FJ! about "First president to X since Obama" and the answer was Clinton, only TWO PRESIDENTS PRIOR.
No it couldn't. The clue as worded would be ambiguous is the closest country were also furthest away, and the Jeopardy clue writers don't do that.

In any event, you're not going to get better at Jeopardy if you continue to prioritize "could be" ahead of "likely". Do you want to get better at Jeopardy?

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:04 pm

jeffwolfe wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:27 pm
No it couldn't. The clue as worded would be ambiguous is the closest country were also furthest away, and the Jeopardy clue writers don't do that.
Yes they do. Remember the Radio Shack clue that no one here could even decipher?
jeffwolfe wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:27 pm
In any event, you're not going to get better at Jeopardy if you continue to prioritize "could be" ahead of "likely". Do you want to get better at Jeopardy?
Fine, then it's LIKELY to be a trap answer.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9039
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:34 pm

jeffwolfe wrote:Do you want to get better at Jeopardy?
Read through this whole thread and you will have your answer.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8225
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:28 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:29 pm

No guess on FJ! If I've seen the name before, then I didn't retain it.
I agree you have not retained the name. He has appeared in 17 prior clues. In the 2010s. Is there any kind of WoF database to search for any possible appearances in that show's puzzles?

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:54 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:28 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:29 pm

No guess on FJ! If I've seen the name before, then I didn't retain it.
I agree you have not retained the name. He has appeared in 17 prior clues. In the 2010s. Is there any kind of WoF database to search for any possible appearances in that show's puzzles?
There is, and sure enough he shows up on a 1985 episode. One I don't think I've actually seen when spelunking early reruns.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5943
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:35 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:04 pm
jeffwolfe wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:27 pm
No it couldn't. The clue as worded would be ambiguous is the closest country were also furthest away, and the Jeopardy clue writers don't do that.
Yes they do. Remember the Radio Shack clue that no one here could even decipher?
Your penchant for hyperbole saddens me :cry:
viewtopic.php?p=164903#p164903

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:30 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:02 pm
teapot37 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:00 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:53 pm
teapot37 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:51 pm

I think his point was that a bordering country is not likely to be the farthest away from the UK.
It could be. They once had an FJ! about "First president to X since Obama" and the answer was Clinton, only TWO PRESIDENTS PRIOR.
I would like to know what possible fluke of geography would lead somewhere to be simultaneously a direct neighbor as well as thousands of miles away.
The clue was "Of the 16 Commonwealth nations with Queen Elizabeth II as head of state, this one is farthest from the United Kingdom"

Nothing about "thousands of miles away" in the clue. For all I know it's ten FEET away.
1) Do you know ANY Commonwealth nations?

assuming you don't...

2) Do you think out of 16 nations, the furthest one is 10 feet away?
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's, and maybe some of Chris Harrison's?

RKane
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by RKane » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:09 pm

More to the point, the Radio Shack clue was over three years ago now.

Also, no country has more borders than China, with 14. Thus, if there are 16 commonwealth nations, at least one is not a border of England.
I may never be on Jeooardy!, but I did instaget a Final Jeopardy in the final round of a high-level tournament that stumped both Ken and Brad.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8225
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:36 pm

#7737, aired 2018-04-10 RECENT MOVIES $800: In "Justice League" Jason Momoa pays this hero of Atlantis
#7732, aired 2018-04-03 DOLL COLLECTING $600: Name of the line from Funko with dolls from Belle to Aquaman, or the kind of culture it represents

You won't pick 1 in 50, or 1 in 44 or 1 in 16, so no one expects you to pick 1 in 6 either. See the posts above in the Wednesday thread for your favorite "looks like" or "sounds like" paths. You are allowed to guess; you just refuse to do it.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:41 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:36 pm
You won't pick 1 in 50, or 1 in 44 or 1 in 16, so no one expects you to pick 1 in 6 either. See the posts above in the Wednesday thread for your favorite "looks like" or "sounds like" paths. You are allowed to guess; you just refuse to do it.
"malka, rainha & rouva"

None of those sounds like anything to me. What did they sound like to you?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8225
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:56 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:41 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:36 pm
You won't pick 1 in 50, or 1 in 44 or 1 in 16, so no one expects you to pick 1 in 6 either. See the posts above in the Wednesday thread for your favorite "looks like" or "sounds like" paths. You are allowed to guess; you just refuse to do it.
"malka, rainha & rouva"

None of those sounds like anything to me. What did they sound like to you?
I'm one person. My path was rainha reminded me of rani which I see in crossword puzzles. From there I did princess to queen.

If you had posted you did malka is almost like Malta so knight or rouva is in the neighborhood of rook either of those are better than nothing. Rainha is like reign so queen or king? Rouva like rule so king or queen? Malka to miter to bishop? It's working with what you know or don't know and taking your best stab.

The contestants went three for three and it's no major shock or great feat. Many people are exposed to various foreign languages through countless life experiences. The languages for the pieces shown were Hebrew, Portuguese and Finnish and even if someone does not know those languages they may be familiar with similar languages.

The Jeopardy Fan posted this link from chess-poster.com: http://www.chess-poster.com/english/not ... guages.htm

It's possible the J! writers could do another version in a few years.

None of those looked like pawn for foot soldier to me, so I figured it was one of the five on the bottom of the board.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:05 pm

MarkBarrett wrote: The contestants went three for three and it's no major shock or great feat. Many people are exposed to various foreign languages through countless life experiences. The languages for the pieces shown were Hebrew, Portuguese and Finnish and even if someone does not know those languages they may be familiar with similar languages.
I know the names of all the chess pieces in both English and Spanish. But not a single one of those sounded even remotely like any of them.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5868
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:05 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: The contestants went three for three and it's no major shock or great feat. Many people are exposed to various foreign languages through countless life experiences. The languages for the pieces shown were Hebrew, Portuguese and Finnish and even if someone does not know those languages they may be familiar with similar languages.
I know the names of all the chess pieces in both English and Spanish. But not a single one of those sounded even remotely like any of them.
Queen is Reina in Spanish. I guess that wasn't close enough to Rainha.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 pm

alietr wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 pm
Queen is Reina in Spanish. I guess that wasn't close enough to Rainha.
There you go using "sounds like" again.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests