The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

...since when has Oprah had an acting career?

Did anyone here know Madeleine L'Engle? Despite her prolificacy, it seems she's known almost entirely or A Wrinkle in Time, as every archive hit I found was in connection to that book.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:41 am ...since when has Oprah had an acting career?

Did anyone here know Madeleine L'Engle? Despite her prolificacy, it seems she's known almost entirely or A Wrinkle in Time, as every archive hit I found was in connection to that book.
Since 1985
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:41 am ...since when has Oprah had an acting career?

Since the 1980s.

Charlotte Brontë is known almost entirely for Jane Eyre and Emily Brontë is known almost entirely for Wuthering Heights. What's your point?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:12 am Charlotte Brontë is known almost entirely for Jane Eyre and Emily Brontë is known almost entirely for Wuthering Heights. What's your point?
Lots of authors are famous for mostly one book despite writing several. In some cases like Margaret Mitchell, they literally only wrote one book to begin with.

I just found Madeleine L'Engle = A Wrinkle in Time a far weaker author-book Pavlov than most other cases where "this author wrote a lot of books, but only one is really famous". For me, the smoking gun was since every other time they used her name, they gave you the name and asked for the book, and it was farther down the board to boot.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought answering for the author of the book in the top box was a good place to start.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:10 am I thought answering for the author of the book in the top box was a good place to start.
I did read the book and have no idea what it's about or who wrote it.
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:34 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:10 am I thought answering for the author of the book in the top box was a good place to start.
I did read the book and have no idea what it's about or who wrote it.
.....are you sure you read the book?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I read it when I was about 12 and do not recall the plot or anything about it. I did know who wrote it, perhaps it stuck in my head because it is an odd name.

The names of the three women came back to me when the characters introduced themselves.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Oprah was in The Color Purple, wasn't she?

And I haven't read A Wrinkle in Time (although I should), but I knew who wrote it. I don't see anything wrong with that question. It's the only clue I got. I knew that there was something about a tesseract in the book, but I wouldn't have gotten that.
davey

Post by davey »

tiwonge wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:31 pm Oprah was in The Color Purple, wasn't she?
Along with about 30 other acting credits over the past 30-some years, many of them the subject of Jeopardy! clues...

I was surprised a few years ago to find there are something like 7 sequels to A Wrinkle in Time. I guess by the time the first sequel came out in 1973 I had probably outgrown them, though it's pretty clear they don't have the readership of the original book.
I found it odd that Alex gave Karen Blixen for that response without mentioning her pen name.
There was plenty of TOM in the FJ but I was also helped by having seen Darkest Hour last weekend. Churchill's failure at Gallipoli is prominently mentioned.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

search.php?keywords=idi+amin&terms=all& ... mit=Search

On Monday the 5th's game of this month there was a clue about Uganda in the $1200 clue of the history category. Alex said, "Remember Idi Amin."

Always listen to the host.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:34 pm
Anniversary gifts for $200 felt like a 1-in-3 for gold/silver/bronze and I saw nothing to narrow it down.
I think they said it was an 8th anniversary gift. Silver is 25 and gold is 50.
Also didn't recognize any of those Sports films at all. Battle of the Sexes = tennis felt especially obscure.
The movie was based on a true story of a tennis match between a man and a woman. It was held at the height of the women's lib movement and the man in the match played the sexist pig role to the hilt to publicize the match.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:00 pm
Anniversary gifts for $200 felt like a 1-in-3 for gold/silver/bronze and I saw nothing to narrow it down.
It also specified that it was an alloy, which is a mixture of two or more metals. Gold and silver are elements. (Bronze is usually copper and tin.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:34 pm Also didn't recognize any of those Sports films at all. Battle of the Sexes = tennis felt especially obscure.
The movie was based on a true story of a tennis match between a man and a woman. It was held at the height of the women's lib movement and the man in the match played the sexist pig role to the hilt to publicize the match.
And it almost literally just came out.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Volante wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:25 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:34 pm Also didn't recognize any of those Sports films at all. Battle of the Sexes = tennis felt especially obscure.
And it almost literally just came out.
...and has been advertised incessantly on TV.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:59 pm
It also specified that it was an alloy, which is a mixture of two or more metals. Gold and silver are elements. (Bronze is usually copper and tin.)
This is exactly what narrowed it down for me. But the question obviously discriminated against people who aren’t paying attention so I’m with TPH in complaining. :roll:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:15 pm No, the church organist did not get "All Creatures Great and Small". I don't think we've ever done that hymn at any of the churches I've played for.
Could you beat this guy in an organ-off? I've heard better when it's played at the church I attend.

CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:28 pm "Reconnoiter"?!

The Hulk had a TV show?!
In case you're actually serious here:

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So of course it comes up at work. The other day, the guy working drive-thru took a $1.47 order that was paid for with a $50. I tuned out to see if I could figure out the change.

10 minutes later I still didn't have the answer. I knew I was adding something to $1.47 to get somewhere, but beyond that I was lost.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:23 pm So of course it comes up at work. The other day, the guy working drive-thru took a $1.47 order that was paid for with a $50. I tuned out to see if I could figure out the change.

10 minutes later I still didn't have the answer. I knew I was adding something to $1.47 to get somewhere, but beyond that I was lost.
Can you at least estimate? About how much should you get back?
Now swimming in the J! pool.