The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

Planes were first used in WWI. All you need to know. Get out of your own way.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:Planes were first used in WWI. All you need to know.
Which I didn't. And the clue didn't say that PLANES were first used, just that the corps was.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Which I didn't. And the clue didn't say that PLANES were first used, just that the corps was.
Get out of your own way.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Get out of your own way.
"In 'Khaki Wings' a young British man courts danger by joining the fledgling Royal Flying Corps during this war."

That only says that the Royal Flying Corps was new. It does not say that using airplanes in war was!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The British flew in WWI, the first major war after the birth of aviation. If you knew it, you got it. If you didn't, now you know.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Get out of your own way.
"In 'Khaki Wings' a young British man courts danger by joining the fledgling Royal Flying Corps during this war."

That only says that the Royal Flying Corps was new. It does not say that using airplanes in war was!
Get out of your own way. :)

You're really making this way more complicated than it needs to be.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Still unanswered from Monday:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT World War I?
The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, of course.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
snowdenscold
Contributor

Post by snowdenscold »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Get out of your own way.

Everyone else here thinks the inference was trivial (edit: no pun intended). You are the only one who disagrees...
Last edited by snowdenscold on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

BobF wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Still unanswered from Monday:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT World War I?
The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, of course.
Ding ding! We have a winner! (Also, glad to see that someone can maintain his sense of humor here.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

snowdenscold wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Get out of your own way.

Everyone else here thinks the inference was trivial (edit: no pun intended). You are the only one who disagrees...
I still don't think it's as cut and dried as everyone else says it is. The clue only said that the Royal Flying Corps was new. For all I know, it could've been new in any war, and some other flying corps was used in WWI.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Get out of your own way.

Watch It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown when it comes on for Halloween. (Although they keep trimming it for more and more ads and pretty soon, the whole subplot with Snoopy and his Sopwith Camel could be a distant memory.)
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
I still don't think it's as cut and dried as everyone else says it is. The clue only said that the Royal Flying Corps was new. For all I know, it could've been new in any war, and some other flying corps was used in WWI.
Have you ever heard of Occam's Razor? If not, now would be a good time to look it up.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I still don't think it's as cut and dried as everyone else says it is. The clue only said that the Royal Flying Corps was new. For all I know, it could've been new in any war, and some other flying corps was used in WWI.
"For all I know"? Refresh my memory on why this thread exists.
BobF

Post by BobF »

1stlvlthinker wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Have you ever heard of Occam's Razor? If not, now would be a good time to look it up.
He's a member of the dollar shave club, he doesn't need to look it up, dammit!
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BobF wrote:
1stlvlthinker wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
He's a member of the dollar shave club, he doesn't need to look it up, dammit!
And he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
I have. And the simplest interpretation I had of that clue was "first war in which the Flying Corps was used." Which simplifies to "any war in the 20th or possibly 21st century" and no further.
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
1stlvlthinker wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
I have. And the simplest interpretation I had of that clue was "first war in which the Flying Corps was used." Which simplifies to "any war in the 20th or possibly 21st century" and no further.
Not sure if this is going to help or hurt, but after WW1, the RFC was turned into the Royal Air Force so the only war the RFC was ever involved in was WW1.
And yes, we know what the RAF is. They played a small role in WW2.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
1stlvlthinker wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
How about maybe "when were planes first used in a war?" That's as simple as it gets, absent other information.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Volante

Post by Volante »

1stlvlthinker wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
1stlvlthinker wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
How about maybe "when were planes first used in a war?" That's as simple as it gets, absent other information.
The biggest leap that TPH still needs to make is when we give responses, we're not actually responding to the clue as given.

I didn't answer "WW1" knowing the plot or even a summary of 'Khaki Wings' nor did I know it based on knowledge of the RFC, and it was only after this thread started I even realized they used RFC and not the RAF (it was "Royal flyers blah" in my head.)

Instead, I pick "planes, British, fledgling, war," turn it into "First war in which the British fought with planes," roll the dice with WW1 and figure the writers wouldn't trick me with the Bambatha Rebellion. Is there a slim chance the answer -is- Bambatha Rebellion? Yes (...well, no, the RFC didn't start until 1912 and Bambatha was in 1906...but for the sake of argument let's overlook that). I accept those odds as does every other player deciding on WW1 (without, again, explicit knowledge of Khaki Wings' plot or the origin of the RFC).

As an aside, I do like this thread because now I know a new word. Bambatha. Bam. Batha. Let's kick this Rebellion up a notch! BAM!batha.

...it's been a long day.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hey's it's your old buddy the South Island again. :)

OCEANIA $400: Mount Cook, not Mont Blanc, is the highest of the Southern these on New Zealand’s South Island

Mont Blanc like the Matterhorn is a famous peak in the Alps. In Europe. Yes, Zealand has Alps also. Who knew? Some yes, some no. No matter. You like help for the first box clues and the writers accommodated with the "Mont Blanc" portion of the clue.

A J! player will take the hint (if they don't already know the NZ geography well enough anyway) and collect the money.

It's not fun and no longer first box if the clue is:
Mount Cook is the highest of the Southern these on New Zealand’s South Island