The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:25 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:20 pm There's no point in clamming on FJ, and there's no shame in taking an educated guess...
Yes there is. What if you guess WRONG?
On the show, no answer provides an identical result to a wrong answer.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:20 pm There's no point in clamming on FJ, and there's no shame in taking an educated guess...
You...learn it's okay to be wrong and accept it as part of life?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Then it is the same as leaving it blank.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So guess, or don't guess. Either way I'm wrong.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:00 am So guess, or don't guess. Either way I'm wrong.
Except that if you guess right, you get it it right.
OCSam
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:00 am So guess, or don't guess. Either way I'm wrong.
If you go with sepia which you had then you don't check the box of shame. You could have posted that you guessed seashell, sea monkeys or even semen and any of those would not be as bad as posting that you had sepia and dismissed it to instead guess nothing.

Everyone on this board shares incorrect guesses for the FJ! clue. Their responses are wrong. The important thing is they tried something as there is zero penalty for home viewers guessing. It is the same for Daily Doubles. Free guess.

There are times when the clue leaves a player so stumped that they have nothing. That's fine and does happen. When you post no guess for FJ! it's sad when it's a presidents, rivers, states, etc. with a narrow range of responses and you know some of what's in the set.

The crime is when, "Something is better than nothing is ignored." You are the worst offender by a country mile. Thinking that no guess is better than a wrong guess is a 100% terrible way to watch and play along with the show.

Watch the FJ! round and write a response during the 30 seconds. You thought sepia, so write it. If nothing better occurs to you then your one idea is better than a blank page. When Alex lets you know it's correct you have not backed into anything. It's a correct response. Whatever the luck percentage is for getting it right is meaningless.

You are going on Wheel. Make it to the bonus round and say whatever comes to you during the short time. If time is up and you knew the right answer but doubted it and said nothing what does that get you?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:31 am Watch the FJ! round and write a response during the 30 seconds. You thought sepia, so write it. If nothing better occurs to you then your one idea is better than a blank page. When Alex lets you know it's correct you have not backed into anything. It's a correct response.
Yes it is, because I put down something absolutely ex-recto that I have negative infinite confidence in, and that every bone in my body is screaming that it's wrong. I would rather be 100% confident that I'm wrong than blunder my way into being right.
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:31 amYou are going on Wheel. Make it to the bonus round and say whatever comes to you during the short time. If time is up and you knew the right answer but doubted it and said nothing what does that get you?
That's the difference though. I'm infinitely more comfortable at Wheel than at J!, and it's easier to "nudge" me in the right direction even if I don't outright know it, because there are usually only say many words that fit a pattern of letters.
Spoiler
Except BOMBER JACKET earlier this week. Seriously, given a super narrow category of "What Are You Wearing?" and having JACKET from just RSTLNE, how did I derp that one up? Even though I know full well what one is?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Wrong.

You've proven many times in this thread that your guess, which you thought was wrong, turned out to be right.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:38 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:31 am You are going on Wheel. Make it to the bonus round and say whatever comes to you during the short time. If time is up and you knew the right answer but doubted it and said nothing what does that get you?
That's the difference though. I'm infinitely more comfortable at Wheel than at J!, and it's easier to "nudge" me in the right direction even if I don't outright know it, because there are usually only say many words that fit a pattern of letters.
Spoiler
Except BOMBER JACKET earlier this week. Seriously, given a super narrow category of "What Are You Wearing?" and having JACKET from just RSTLNE, how did I derp that one up? Even though I know full well what one is?
Spoiler
Good point. You definitely should have kept your mouth shut on that one.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:56 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:38 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:31 am You are going on Wheel. Make it to the bonus round and say whatever comes to you during the short time. If time is up and you knew the right answer but doubted it and said nothing what does that get you?
Spoiler
Spoiler
Good point. You definitely should have kept your mouth shut on that one.
I sputtered out a bunch of gibberish on that one, but I legit had nothing. For me in the bonus round of WoF, that is super rare.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:54 am
Wrong.

You've proven many times in this thread that your guess, which you thought was wrong, turned out to be right.
Even though I'm infinitely dead certain that it's wrong. And THAT is why I don't put it down, because it just "feels" wrong.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Volante wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:37 pm
You...learn it's okay to be wrong and accept it as part of life?
What is this "learn" thing you speak of?? Isn't that why we're on Page 80.

That being said, TPH, did your Wheel episode air and if so, when was it?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:11 pm That being said, TPH, did your Wheel episode air and if so, when was it?
I haven't taped yet. No idea when I will.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:38 am That's the difference though. I'm infinitely more comfortable at Wheel than at J!, and it's easier to "nudge" me in the right direction even if I don't outright know it, because there are usually only say many words that fit a pattern of letters.
You see, that's why you don't get J! questions that everyone here finds easy, and why I'd be laughed off the Wheel board. I don't have the words that Wheel would ask about in my head, and, for example, watching your Wheel performance at a furry con, you were yelling out the correct answer while I was sitting there going "well, that could be *anything*!" My brain just doesn't work for Wheel. But facts, dates, people, interesting tidbits, I eat those up for breakfast. But if I went on the Wheel board, I'd be laughed off by everyone saying how easy puzzles are (despite that I rarely solve them before the contestants) and wondering how they do it. I'd be the TPH of Wheel board.

So, if you ask us how we got it, we are infinitely more comfortable at J! (I would add "than at Wheel", but there are plenty of J! folks who are so smart that they can do awesome at both, and have been on both), and it's easier to "nudge" us in the right direction on a clue, even if we don't outright know it, because there are usually only so many things J! asks about (even you've quoted the metric of "has it appeared in the Archive before?"). You can't "make" me be good at Wheel, or even decent at it, because my brain doesn't work that way. And yours doesn't work the way it needs to be at J!. So don't continue asking how to get a clue (*especially* if you're going to bite the hand that helps you by being sarcastic and dismissive to said boardie) when you just aren't that comfortable with the kind of show J! is.

tl;dr: Take your quote, invert "Wheel" and "J!", now you got us.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Just. Couldn't. Resist. (Yes, I know it's wrong.)

Wheel Buy an I.jpg
Wheel Buy an I.jpg (101.46 KiB) Viewed 5411 times
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:09 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:54 am
Wrong.

Even though I'm infinitely dead certain that it's wrong. And THAT is why I don't put it down, because it just "feels" wrong.
Take comfort in knowing that sometimes your wrong feelings are in fact wrong. Guess anyways.

You need to get outside your comfort zone if you're ever going to learn anything.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:10 pm Just. Couldn't. Resist. (Yes, I know it's wrong.)

Wheel Buy an I.jpg
I looked up his episode and sadly, he never actually got to. He also lost by only $50.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

What would you do on Wheel if you were at the bonus puzzle and weren't sure of the answer?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wheatley wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:05 pm
What would you do on Wheel if you were at the bonus puzzle and weren't sure of the answer?
Again, that's at least a more comfortable situation, where I have several hints: the letters that are or are not still in play, the category...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How do I stop myself from blanking on things so often? It seems I'm only getting worse at lt. I've seen those Alexa ads all the time, and three of my friends own an Echo, but I just could not pull the name.