The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:59 am I can match Leo Tolstoy = Russian author and War and Peace or Anna Karenina = Russian literature, but I don't think I've ever successfully matched him to either book.
You just need to apply the transitive property of trivia. If Leo Tolstoy = Russian Literature and Russian Literature = War and Peace or Anna Karenina, then Leo Tolstoy = War and Peace or Anna Karenina. Right?
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:59 am
Wheatley wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:31 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:39 pm "His death in 632 AD led to a disupte over whether Abu Bakr or Ali was his true successor."

I got nothin'.
The category was founders of religion. You got nothin' out of the successors having Arabic names, or the prompt of the 7th Century?
I know that Muhammad has something to do with Islam, but exactly what, I didn't know. Also had no idea what nationality names like "Abu Bakr" could be from, or when Islam was started.
What are the chances of you retaining the important bullets, namely that

-The Prophet Mohammed founded Islam,
-He did so in the early 7th Century, and
-Abu is an Arabic word, as in Abu Dhabi and Aladdin's monkey
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Someone wanna break down that "tax on cigarettes" clue for $400? Given that a top box was literally the only TS in the entire game, I think the writers had a misfire there. I had no idea how to attack it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:38 pm Someone wanna break down that "tax on cigarettes" clue for $400? Given that a top box was literally the only TS in the entire game, I think the writers had a misfire there. I had no idea how to attack it.
I'm doing this with the expectation that you're not going to go on about how this is too much for a single clue. It's the method I used.

Misfire for the level, I'll grant. But decipherable. The core concept was how taxes are meant to curb unwanted behavior; e.g., sin taxes. The use of "these" was to key you in to a plural. The two items traditionally hit with sin taxes are alcohol and tobacco, but neither of those works as a plural: "What are alcohol?" "What are tobacco?" (I'm sidestepping the prohibition amendment that rules out alcohol entirely as an answer) So that leaves plurals of what contains alcohol or tobacco and it's a short trip from 'tobacco' to 'cigarettes.'

Yes, this doesn't rule out 'cigars' or 'hookahs' or whatevers and yes, you like pointing out how it's never the obvious answer...but statistically, it usually -is- the obvious answer.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:15 pm I'm doing this with the expectation that you're not going to go on about how this is too much for a single clue. It's the method I used.

Misfire for the level, I'll grant. But decipherable. The core concept was how taxes are meant to curb unwanted behavior; e.g., sin taxes.
How so?
Paternalism is restricting freedom in our (supposed) best interests, like state taxes on these, which began in Iowa in 1921
I don't see what either half of the clue has to do with the other. What does paternalism have to do with ANY part of the clue? How do you get "sin tax" out of that?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:25 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:15 pm I'm doing this with the expectation that you're not going to go on about how this is too much for a single clue. It's the method I used.

Misfire for the level, I'll grant. But decipherable. The core concept was how taxes are meant to curb unwanted behavior; e.g., sin taxes.
How so?
Paternalism is restricting freedom in our (supposed) best interests, like state taxes on these, which began in Iowa in 1921
I don't see what either half of the clue has to do with the other. What does paternalism have to do with ANY part of the clue? How do you get "sin tax" out of that?
Paternalism was defined in the clue, as "restricting freedom in our (supposed) best interests." Taxing something to discourage its purchase is an example of that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:40 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:25 pm

How so?
Paternalism was defined in the clue, as "restricting freedom in our (supposed) best interests." Taxing something to discourage its purchase is an example of that.
Still not following. Why was that even in the clue if it doesn't help narrow things down any? NOTHING in the clue helps narrow it down any. My best guess was also "sales tax".

For this to be literally the only TS in a game this strong, I still think it was just a clunker of a clue. Poll request?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:21 am For this to be literally the only TS in a game this strong, I still think it was just a clunker of a clue. Poll request?
The clue seems quite gettable in retrospect but I'd have to admit in a poll that I didn't get it. I wasn't really in clue-getting mode at that point. I was just watching in awe. I spent my time thinking "Holy crap, Emma's in first place and there's nothing James can do about it." It's possible that similar thinking on stage might have contributed to this being the only TS. Emma, in any event, had no reason to ring in. But it would have been to James's advantage to get this clue. When the clue was revealed, Jay had more than half of James's score. James would have wanted to change that if he could. After Jay rang in and missed, he had less than half James's score but a theoretical chance to get back to more than half by picking up the last two clues. So it still would have been to James's advantage to ring in and pick up the rebound $400 after Jay's miss.

All that's to say that James probably couldn't get to the correct response to this clue even with the extra time afforded by Jay's neg. James is a pretty cool customer, so I'd hesitate to put this down to his being rattled. Jay probably WAS rattled, but it's still not insignificant that such a strong player missed this one. (To go into FJ with $11000 against James Holzhauer AND the woman who beat him is an amazing accomplishment.) So on the whole I think you may be right after all.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Is it possible that, by playing the board bottom-up, the players' (and our) perception of difficulty/obviousness of answers gets skewed? I remember thinking that, if that had been the first clue in that category, and I was more dialed in to 'easy answer', I would've keyed on cigarettes more quickly. As it was, I'd have to put that down as a neg, as I came up with the answer just before Alex provided it.
davey

Post by davey »

If the clue had contained the phrase "sin tax," the usual (if old-school) expression for what the clue calls a paternalistic tax, someone probably would have got it. The "political philosophy" language was a little turgid, but with the extra time from Jay's neg I came to a WECIB...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I still don't see how the clue is hinting at a son tax, or why the garbage in the first half of the clue was even there. It just doesn't flow or seem helpful in the slightest.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think TPH overdoes it a bit on poll requests, but I think the only missed clue in this game begs for a spot on the weekly poll. (I will not be checking the box).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:35 pm I still don't see how the clue is hinting at a son tax, or why the garbage in the first half of the clue was even there. ...
The first half of the clue -literally- described what a sin tax is.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:21 am (To go into FJ with $11000 against James Holzhauer AND the woman who beat him is an amazing accomplishment.)
Apologies for the threadjack, but I had this thought - imagine if Emma runs off about 20 or 30 games and being able to claim you were the third tenor in this ensemble? Talk about a bad draw!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:43 pm I think TPH overdoes it a bit on poll requests, but I think the only missed clue in this game begs for a spot on the weekly poll. (I will not be checking the box).
No objection to this request and it will be an option, though unchecked by me as well.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So I started keeping score again, in part because I felt that I actually did competently enough on the online test. And I've noticed for a while now: my Coryat tends to vary. A lot. HARD. Like, I'm talking $30,000 one day, $3,000 the next. I actually hit $0 or negative numbers several times.

I think I'll start keeping track of my scores again for the rest of the season, just to see what causes the outliers in either direction.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TPH wrote:Poll request for "George" magazine. Seems like a very obscure pick since it was only around for 6 years and I don't see any popcultural impact it could've made.
Basically its pop culture impact is due to it being founded by JFK Jr. He was a pretty big deal in those days. I admit it seems a little obscure now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BOOK CHAPTERS $200: Chapter 21 of this classic is "Laurie Makes Mischief, and Jo Makes Peace"

If you see "Jo" in the top box go with Little Women or the author Alcott. It does not matter whether someone is familiar or not with Laurie. Certainly reading the book or seeing a movie version is not necessary. It's a basic J! Pavlov. "Obscure" is in no way applicable in this case.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:42 pm BOOK CHAPTERS $200: Chapter 21 of this classic is "Laurie Makes Mischief, and Jo Makes Peace"

If you see "Jo" in the top box go with Little Women or the author Alcott. It does not matter whether someone is familiar or not with Laurie. Certainly reading the book or seeing a movie version is not necessary. It's a basic J! Pavlov. "Obscure" is in no way applicable in this case.
Because that is literally the only thing ever to have been called Jo, right?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:46 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:42 pm BOOK CHAPTERS $200: Chapter 21 of this classic is "Laurie Makes Mischief, and Jo Makes Peace"

Because that is literally the only thing ever to have been called Jo, right?
Certainly the most famous book character with that name.

I've never read nor seen Little Women but one of the few things I know about it is there is a character by that name.