The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:06 pm Now you are familiar with Watts. So if you say you have never heard of it the next time it comes up, you will be wrong.
Yes, and how many times has "which planet is the biggest" fallen back out of my head ten seconds after I relearn it for the 10,000th time? A lot of stuff just plain doesn't stick no matter how hard I try.
Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:06 pmAnd there are different kinds of trivia questions. Some are straight you know it or you don’t. If you don’t, too bad.
These are called "shitty questions".
Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:06 pm Others are going to ask for something you probably are unlikely to know. I did not know the LA Times won a Pulitzer for covering the Watts riots. But I did know that Watts is part of Los Angeles and that the LA Times is a major paper there. I also knew about the riots, but that wasn’t necessary to get it right.
And I didn't know any of that, so I'm getting screwed on what should be the "piss easy" question and feeling even dumber.
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MitchO »

It never ceases to amaze me what stuff you NHO, TPH.

Renée Zellweger just won the Oscar for Best Actress for Garland.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:40 pm Wow did I struggle with this board.
I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you! :shock:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

John Boy wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:31 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:40 pm Wow did I struggle with this board.
I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you! :shock:
Who has two thumbs and the most wildly inconsistent Coryats of anyone on this forum?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MitchO wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:25 pm It never ceases to amaze me what stuff you NHO, TPH.

Renée Zellweger just won the Oscar for Best Actress for Garland.
I don't follow movies or the Oscars. Stereotypically Oscars only go to pretentious bombastic movies I couldn't care less about if I tried. The term "Oscar bait" exists for a reason.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

So ... Oscar winners aren't something you would think you should know for .. oh, I dunno .. Jeopardy! :lol:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MitchO wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:55 pm So ... Oscar winners aren't something you would think you should know for .. oh, I dunno .. Jeopardy! :lol:
They're just one of the few things that holds absolutely negative interest for me. Much like how war stuff always goes in one ear and out the other since I don't care about thing one regarding who beat who in what battle.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

All people want you to do is learn facts and remember them, which is the basis of trivia. Figuring things out from context is also part of the fun, but simple memorization, alas, is an essential part of the equation. If you don't want to feel dumb, just learn the things you don't know, remember them, and stop acting like it's totally unreasonable to expect people to know them. Often it's not that you don't know things or NHO things...there are obviously many things that are easy for some, NHO for others. Something Pavlovian and easy for you could certainly be a NHO stumper for me. It's the way you criticize clues and the writers without having the proper basis to make those criticisms (often simply based on "I don't know that, so it's a bad clue") that gets under people's skin.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:40 pm Jerry Brown = California was also unfamiliar to me, but that could just be a reverse Hawley-Smoot. How am I supposed to retain a generic-ass name like that?!
Would the fact that his given name is Edmund help make things weird enough to stick?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:22 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:40 pm Jerry Brown = California was also unfamiliar to me, but that could just be a reverse Hawley-Smoot. How am I supposed to retain a generic-ass name like that?!
Would the fact that his given name is Edmund help make things weird enough to stick?
Or just go with Governor Moonbeam.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

hansenkd wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:55 pm All people want you to do is learn facts and remember them, which is the basis of trivia. Figuring things out from context is also part of the fun, but simple memorization, alas, is an essential part of the equation. If you don't want to feel dumb, just learn the things you don't know, remember them, and stop acting like it's totally unreasonable to expect people to know them.
I HAVE tried to learn billions of times, and yet certain facts just fall back out of my head 10 seconds later. I STILL can't for the life of me find a way to retain which planet is the biggest, which islands comprise the Caribbean, Hunter S. Thompson's name, and which president was just before FDR, to name a few.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:57 pm
MitchO wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:55 pm So ... Oscar winners aren't something you would think you should know for .. oh, I dunno .. Jeopardy! :lol:
They're just one of the few things that holds absolutely negative interest for me. Much like how war stuff always goes in one ear and out the other since I don't care about thing one regarding who beat who in what battle.
Idle question: If you KNOW many subjects hold zero interest for you (as you've said many times) and information about those subjects goes in one ear and out the other (as you've also said many times), why does each time you blank on something seem to you like the first, prompting you to act so dadgummed astonished? Seriously, dude?! You can stop mentioning it every episode. We get it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:27 am
Yeah, his name is pretty generic so I think you'll need to remember a few facts about him to make it stick. Nicknamed "Governor Moonbeam" (allegedly by his one-time girlfriend Linda Ronstadt). Governor of the state twice, separated by almost 30 years.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

Deleted because apparently "stating the obvious" is insensitive and we should, instead, pretend it doesn't exist.
Last edited by ParrotRob on Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Drowning in the pool
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

In line with alietr's recommendation for responding to TPH, this is not directed at him, but simply may be helpful for future references to the same topics for someone who missed the same questions without whining about it.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:40 pm
Cognac = brandy seemed very YEKIOYD for the top box. I hate alcohol categories because they ALWAYS seem massively YEKIOYD. I got only "moonshiner".

Can't say I've heard of the Falklands often enough to place them.
The Falklands/Malvinas/Falklands invasion and war topic has 90ish hits in the Archive, including at least 5 just for Falklands + Margaret Thatcher, and is sure to come up again. Definitely a connection to know.

Brandy as a distillate of wine is another connection to remember -- multiple hundreds of hits. From the script of "The Lion in Winter": "Philip: Come in anyway. Our alchemists have stumbled on the art of boiling burgundy. It turns to steam, and when it cools, we call it brandywine."

OED as cited in Wikipedia: "The term brandy is a shortening of brandywine, which was derived from the Dutch word brandewijn, itself derived from gebrande wijn, which literally means 'burned wine'."

The "Brandywine" place names seem to be derived from the medieval term.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:14 am
econgator wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:27 am
Yeah, his name is pretty generic so I think you'll need to remember a few facts about him to make it stick. Nicknamed "Governor Moonbeam" (allegedly by his one-time girlfriend Linda Ronstadt). Governor of the state twice, separated by almost 30 years.
And his dad was governor before Reagan.

I don’t follow the Oscars so a lot of them are NHO for me. But that’s my choice. I know that keeps me from getting a lot of movie clues right and that’s on me. If I ever get the call I will look over lists of recent winners.

I do a lot better on older movies. I guess after a while some pictures fall by the wayside and only certain ones have the staying power to be Jeopardy clues.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:51 pm
I don’t follow the Oscars so a lot of them are NHO for me. But that’s my choice. I know that keeps me from getting a lot of movie clues right and that’s on me. If I ever get the call I will look over lists of recent winners.

I do a lot better on older movies. I guess after a while some pictures fall by the wayside and only certain ones have the staying power to be Jeopardy clues.
I"m with you there. Of course I don't think there have been many good movies made since about 1957 :lol:
--
Drowning in the pool
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:43 am ...which president was just before FDR, to name a few.
Now, that's the sort of trivia you should be sucking up like a Hoover.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:22 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:43 am ...which president was just before FDR, to name a few.
Now, that's the sort of trivia you should be sucking up like a Hoover.
I think I need a new filter in it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:41 pm I'd rather watch Iain Armitage read clues for Jeopardy! for the next 72 years than watch 30 seconds of Young Sheldon.
But then you would miss his sister Missy blowing up (TX doesn't mess around - it looked like an M-80) a baseball trophy the mom went through a lot of effort to DIY since the trophy store (run by guest Louie Anderson) only had boy baseball player ones.