The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 5667
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed May 31, 2017 11:51 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:46 pm
I forget the wording, but if archbishop was in the clue, then there.
The clue was
Ordained in 1973 & promoted to his metropolitan see in 2012, Andrew Yeom Soo-Jong is Seoul's this
Yeah, not seeing it.

Also unanswered from 5/31:
WLT "Meatless Monday", "Coal", or Reagan at $200?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5102
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Wed May 31, 2017 11:54 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:46 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:45 pm
dhkendall wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:43 pm
I didn't know that either, but I figured it had to if there's even a small number of Catholics.
What part of the clue said Catholic?
I forget the wording, but if archbishop was in the clue, then there.
Archbishop was the response.

Ordained in 1973 & promoted to his metropolitan see in 2012, Andrew Yeom Soo-Jong is Seoul's this

"ordained" and "see" spot you Catholic.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 6953
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Wed May 31, 2017 11:55 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:51 pm

The clue was
Ordained in 1973 & promoted to his metropolitan see in 2012, Andrew Yeom Soo-Jong is Seoul's this
Yeah, not seeing it.
I see what you did there.

Wait, I see what I did there!

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 5667
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed May 31, 2017 11:57 pm

Volante wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:54 pm
dhkendall wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:46 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:45 pm
dhkendall wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:43 pm
I didn't know that either, but I figured it had to if there's even a small number of Catholics.
What part of the clue said Catholic?
I forget the wording, but if archbishop was in the clue, then there.
Archbishop was the response.

Ordained in 1973 & promoted to his metropolitan see in 2012, Andrew Yeom Soo-Jong is Seoul's this

"ordained" and "see" spot you Catholic.
Sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through in the first box. You have two very obscure words that kinda sorta vaguely guide you to Catholic, and then have to think of the one of 78,349 positions in the Catholic Church that fit "ordained" and "see".
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2003
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by BobF » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:55 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:51 pm
WLT "Meatless Monday", "Coal", or Reagan at $200?
Dutch was Reagan's nickname. Although, as my 13-year old son pointed out (without using JBoard terminology), Van Buren was pretty big negbait for that one.

Didn't the Meatless Monday clue mention alliteration in some way? I got it, but don't remember it very well.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 264
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Wheatley » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:34 am

WLT "Coal" at $200?
The clue mentioned "fossil" which makes oil and coal the only plausible answers. And unless you're playing Power Grid, oil-powered plants are pretty obscure.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:51 pm
Ordained in 1973 & promoted to his metropolitan see in 2012, Andrew Yeom Soo-Jong is Seoul's this
Yeah, not seeing it.
"See" is from the Latin for Seat, and it usually means a Bishop or Archbishop's position. So that's another coin toss, with "bishop" possibly accepted or BMS'd.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5102
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:29 pm

Wheatley wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:34 am
WLT "Coal" at $200?
The clue mentioned "fossil" which makes oil and coal the only plausible answers. And unless you're playing Power Grid, oil-powered plants are pretty obscure.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:51 pm
Ordained in 1973 & promoted to his metropolitan see in 2012, Andrew Yeom Soo-Jong is Seoul's this
Yeah, not seeing it.
"See" is from the Latin for Seat, and it usually means a Bishop or Archbishop's position. So that's another coin toss, with "bishop" possibly accepted or BMS'd.
You're spotted 'promoted' so that make you should rule out bishop. I'd call bishop flat out wrong (but I also gave no quarter to the (Celebrity) Apprentice ruling either).

TomFromMD
Valued Contributor
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:34 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TomFromMD » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Volante wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:29 pm

You're spotted 'promoted' so that make you should rule out bishop. I'd call bishop flat out wrong (but I also gave no quarter to the (Celebrity) Apprentice ruling either).
"Promoted to his metropolitan see" indicates that he is an archbishop, but that doesn't in and of itself make bishop incorrect. Whether it's an acceptable answer depends (IMHO) on how the archdiocese is divided. Most likely, he's the bishop of Seoul along with being the metropolitan of the Archdiocese of Seoul, just like Cardinal Dolan is in NY or Archbishop Lori in Baltimore (since the Diocese of Baltimore falls under the Archdiocese of Baltimore). By contrast, while Archbishop Lori is the Archbishop for the diocese of Arlington (VA), since that falls under his Archdiocese, but he's not the bishop of Arlington, which is Michael Francis Burbidge.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5102
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:15 pm

TomFromMD wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:23 pm
Volante wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:29 pm

You're spotted 'promoted' so that make you should rule out bishop. I'd call bishop flat out wrong (but I also gave no quarter to the (Celebrity) Apprentice ruling either).
"Promoted to his metropolitan see" indicates that he is an archbishop, but that doesn't in and of itself make bishop incorrect. Whether it's an acceptable answer depends (IMHO) on how the archdiocese is divided. Most likely, he's the bishop of Seoul along with being the metropolitan of the Archdiocese of Seoul, just like Cardinal Dolan is in NY or Archbishop Lori in Baltimore (since the Diocese of Baltimore falls under the Archdiocese of Baltimore). By contrast, while Archbishop Lori is the Archbishop for the diocese of Arlington (VA), since that falls under his Archdiocese, but he's not the bishop of Arlington, which is Michael Francis Burbidge.
According to this, there is no 'Diocese of Baltimore' anymore; it was changed to the 'Archdiocese of Baltimore' in 1808. All official references that I can find also refer to it explicitly as the 'Archdiocese of Baltimore.'
http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dseou.html

Seoul is similar: http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dseou.html

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6834
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:21 pm

The Peloton symbol = bicycle was not one I put together either. I guess it is supposed to look like bike pedals? I have heard of the term "peloton" in the Tour de France for a pack of riders. Today's clue had an image, so I looked at that and barely paid attention to what Alex said.

Together that makes the clue sports and exercise, so not a Hammer type of clue. Joe got it so good for him. I think it's the kind of clue that could have been placed in any value box and no one would have noticed or cared.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 5667
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Why should I know that mandarin pancakes are a thing? That was ridiculous.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6834
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:18 am

Let's try a different food thing if you don't mind.

This is from another trivia site: Among the six standard meat/tofu items on the menu at the Chipotle Mexican Grill chain, the slow-cooked, seasoned shredded beef option is listed as what term?

Are you in the 56% that got it or the 44% that did not?

Correct answer:
SpoilerShow
Barbacoa

User avatar
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 264
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Wheatley » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:15 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:41 pm
Why should I know that mandarin pancakes are a thing? That was ridiculous.
Maybe it's a regional thing but scallion pancakes are a feature at every Chinese restaurant I know (so common in fact, that I were a judge I would have BMS'd "pancakes"). They're delicious, you ought to have one if you never had.

Additionally, most Asian countries have their own style of "pancake" that's similar to the Mandarin pancake.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2482
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:32 pm

Wheatley wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:15 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:41 pm
Why should I know that mandarin pancakes are a thing? That was ridiculous.
Maybe it's a regional thing but scallion pancakes are a feature at every Chinese restaurant I know (so common in fact, that I were a judge I would have BMS'd "pancakes"). They're delicious, you ought to have one if you never had.

Additionally, most Asian countries have their own style of "pancake" that's similar to the Mandarin pancake.
Mandarin was not the important part of the clue, moo shu pork was. Anyone who's spent time in Chinese restaurants knows it's served with pancakes. Anyone who's not spent time in Chinese restaurants, I feel bad for...
I'd say that Mandarin was negbait except I've never heard an orange described as "thin."

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 5667
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:47 pm

davey wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:32 pm
Wheatley wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:15 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:41 pm
Why should I know that mandarin pancakes are a thing? That was ridiculous.
Maybe it's a regional thing but scallion pancakes are a feature at every Chinese restaurant I know (so common in fact, that I were a judge I would have BMS'd "pancakes"). They're delicious, you ought to have one if you never had.

Additionally, most Asian countries have their own style of "pancake" that's similar to the Mandarin pancake.
Mandarin was not the important part of the clue, moo shu pork was. Anyone who's spent time in Chinese restaurants knows it's served with pancakes. Anyone who's not spent time in Chinese restaurants, I feel bad for...
I'd say that Mandarin was negbait except I've never heard an orange described as "thin."
An orange can be thinly sliced.

I've seen moo shu pork on the menu of several Chinese restaurants, and not once did it mention pancakes.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6834
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:27 pm

Re: Tuesday, January 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Hammer: Jack Ryan was a category that I knew right out of the gate I'd be totally lost in.

************

#7374, aired 2016-10-06 SPY FICTION $800: This submarine tale was the first of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan novels

***********

#6254, aired 2011-11-24 CLASSICAL ROCK $3,000 (Daily Double): When he composed his Symphony No. 40 in G Minor in 1788, he didn't have these sounds in mind

The 6/5 clue: Batting first, Symphony No. 40 in g minor by this Austrian who always leads his league in hits

Some will recognize the music and some will not. J!'s weird organ will hurt more than help from yesterday's clue. You're forgiven.

************
1960s radical H. Rap Brown once told the press, violence is as American as this

"as American as this" sounds like "as American as apple pie" and since the category is LIFE IS JUST A BOWL OF CHERRIES switch gears to a different pie.

**********
Raijin is a god of this natural phenomenon, and kids in Japan are taught to fear being eaten when they hear him

Natural phenomenon you can hear? That's thunder.

*********
Alex's sheet has been seen on J! games dozens if not hundreds of times. A likely spot is the conclusion of the J! round.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8273
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:30 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:27 pm
#6254, aired 2011-11-24 CLASSICAL ROCK $3,000 (Daily Double): When he composed his Symphony No. 40 in G Minor in 1788, he didn't have these sounds in mind

Some will recognize the music and some will not. J!'s weird organ will hurt more than help from yesterday's clue. You're forgiven.
Also because Mozart has the only famous Symphony No. 40, and I believe the number was mentioned in the clue.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6834
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:35 pm

Zea mays sounds like maize so guess corn in first box.

Davis Cup is sports so how would you know what is proper value or not? Just because those three players could not do tennis team cup = Davis does not make it in the wrong place.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 5667
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:59 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:27 pm
"as American as this" sounds like "as American as apple pie" and since the category is LIFE IS JUST A BOWL OF CHERRIES switch gears to a different pie.
I'll take "moon logic" for $400.
MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:27 pm
Raijin is a god of this natural phenomenon, and kids in Japan are taught to fear being eaten when they hear him

Natural phenomenon you can hear? That's thunder.
Or possibly high winds. Or tsunamis.
MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:35 pm
Zea mays sounds like maize so guess corn in first box.
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE!
MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:35 pm
Davis Cup is sports so how would you know what is proper value or not? Just because those three players could not do tennis team cup = Davis does not make it in the wrong place.
I would say that yes, TS in the top box = undervalued.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6834
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:23 pm

St. Basil's is in Moscow for a basic connection any J! player should know.
If you see "gupta" guess India.
Hell's Kitchen is a NYC neighborhood unless you mix it up with Chef Ramsay's "restaurant" in Los Angeles.

0/3 for you and 3/3 for the contestants. It happens.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bomtr, Google [Bot], heppm01, KellyLasiter, NinaCoota and 20 guests