The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So let's see. Why TPH didn't get FJ! right again:

Monday I already explained. "Cigar" just seemed like background noise.

Tuesday: I have no idea what the British Commonwealth is. Farthest from the UK could be Ireland, could be Iceland, could be Gabon (which I can't say I was aware of until just now), could be anything.

Wednesday: There are lots and lots of lots and lots and lots and lots of American pianists. And I don't think of pianists as composers the same way I don't think of Ray Charles as a composer.

Thursday: Can't say I've heard of the correct response, so moot point.

Friday: Again, could be any of them.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:07 pm Wednesday: There are lots and lots of lots and lots and lots and lots of American pianists. And I don't think of pianists as composers the same way I don't think of Ray Charles as a composer.
Usually, I think of a composer as someone who writes music for other people to perform. I suppose Ray Charles is technically a composer, but he composed for himself. Other people were welcome to perform his songs as well, of course, for a fee. Joplin performed his own compositions too, of course, but I think he mainly made money off the sheet music. Plus, he wrote that opera. I agree it can be a blurry line.

I think we've all been in the position of missing FJ because the response they wanted just didn't seem to fit the category.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:07 pm Tuesday: I have no idea what the British Commonwealth is. Farthest from the UK could be Ireland, could be Iceland, could be Gabon (which I can't say I was aware of until just now), could be anything.
Not knowing about the Commonwealth is certainly going to work against you. But the only country in the world to border the UK (Ireland) is not going to be a correct response to that clue. The full name of the UK might be a clue: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:07 pmFriday: Again, could be any of them.
It really, really couldn't. With "farthest west", you can pretty much eliminate the first half of them off the bat. There are any number of presidents famously born west of the original colonies that'll get you there too.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:07 pm "Cigar" just seemed like background noise.
So in other words, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar? :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Leaving it blank when they are going for a president is bad strategy. As said, you can eliminate most of them right off the bat. You can also cross the ones still living off your list.

The two most common wrong responses seem to be Hoover and Reagan. Both were born in the midwest but had ties to California. So I think either was a pretty good guess for “westernmost born in continental US”.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:19 pm Leaving it blank when they are going for a president is bad strategy. As said, you can eliminate most of them right off the bat. You can also cross the ones still living off your list.

The two most common wrong responses seem to be Hoover and Reagan. Both were born in the midwest but had ties to California. So I think either was a pretty good guess for “westernmost born in continental US”.
They're not a good guess if they're wrong, now are they.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:41 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:19 pm Leaving it blank when they are going for a president is bad strategy. As said, you can eliminate most of them right off the bat. You can also cross the ones still living off your list.

They're not a good guess if they're wrong, now are they.
They're an enormous hell of a lot better than the absence of a guess, or, say, George Washington.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:49 pm They're an enormous hell of a lot better than the absence of a guess, or, say, George Washington.
The only good guess is no guess at all. You either know it or you don't. Don't blunder your way into it. Take it the right way or not at all.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

And yet you people keep trying to teach him something ...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:56 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:49 pm They're an enormous hell of a lot better than the absence of a guess, or, say, George Washington.
The only good guess is no guess at all. You either know it or you don't. Don't blunder your way into it. Take it the right way or not at all.
I've never thought you were stupid, but this post suggests you intend to change that.

I've won over $900 in HQ. Do you think the 277* correct answers I gave in the games I won were all things I knew?

*23 games, one was a 15-question game, two wins involved using an extra life after an incorrect guess

Or on Wheel of Fortune, there had to be points at which you had to say a letter that you weren't entirely sure was in the puzzle. You don't just take the first spin and then stand silent.

If you're so committed to being wrong, why bother asking WLTs anyway?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Prior to Friday, I didn’t know Nixon died the furthest from his place of birth. So do I leave it blank or try to puzzle it out?

There are a lot of FJs that people aren’t going to know off the top of their head. But they can use other facts they know to piece it together to get it right.
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:56 pm
There's a theory out there, I can't remember exactly what it's called, but it's about "growth" vs. "innate" abilities. Has something to do how children learn and are encouraged to learn.

Something about this thread reminds me of that.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:12 am I've won over $900 in HQ. Do you think the 277* correct answers I gave in the games I won were all things I knew?
Yes, and how many more times did you take a guess only to be wrong?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

econgator wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:26 pm And yet you people keep trying to teach him something ...
It's performance art at this point.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:07 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:12 am I've won over $900 in HQ. Do you think the 277* correct answers I gave in the games I won were all things I knew?
Yes, and how many more times did you take a guess only to be wrong?
Well, I'm glad you were willing to be wrong in this post.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

People learn incrementally.

We learn to crawl before we learn to walk.
We learn to read before we learn to write.

Each bit of knowledge builds on ones that came before.

If you know Reagan was associated with California, you're ahead of the person who doesn't know that. From there you can learn that the association is "governor" and not "born there".
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

jeffwolfe wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:17 pm Not knowing about the Commonwealth is certainly going to work against you. But the only country in the world to border the UK (Ireland) is not going to be a correct response to that clue. The full name of the UK might be a clue: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
But the Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK. As it happens, the country is not and never has been a member of the Commonwealth, but you can't exclude Ireland on the basis that it is part of the UK.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:42 pm
jeffwolfe wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:17 pm Not knowing about the Commonwealth is certainly going to work against you. But the only country in the world to border the UK (Ireland) is not going to be a correct response to that clue. The full name of the UK might be a clue: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
But the Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK. As it happens, the country is not and never has been a member of the Commonwealth, but you can't exclude Ireland on the basis that it is part of the UK.
I think his point was that a bordering country is not likely to be the farthest away from the UK.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:51 pm
CailinGaoilge wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:42 pm
I think his point was that a bordering country is not likely to be the farthest away from the UK.
Ah! That makes sense. Thanks for the response.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:51 pm
It could be. They once had an FJ! about "First president to X since Obama" and the answer was Clinton, only TWO PRESIDENTS PRIOR.