The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:29 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:09 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:09 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:02 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:29 pm

[citation needed]
It's an English word with a negative connotation. http://www.dictionary.com/browse/stigma
So? There was also a pope called Hilarius. And the other option in the clue, "Sisinnius", seems like a trap too since it's got "Sissy" in it. Another word with a negative connotation.
And you call our explanations a long way to go. You could have focused on "sin" within Sisinnius, but you got greedy in your straw-grasping efforts.
Still. There were some silly names on popes. "Stigma" is hardly a can't-miss.
At least you admit it's can't-miss.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:04 pm How about "you" as "the entire viewing audience"?
I wouldn't make the assumption that all of J!'s viewers are English speakers. Contestants, yes, but not the audience.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:28 pm WLT "English" at $400? That wasn't even close to a cognate.
"If you speak eigo (and you do), you speak this"

They told you they wanted a language - not their fault Jeremy didn't read it correctly. What language can they assume with certainty that you speak?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wheatley wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:31 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:28 pm WLT "English" at $400? That wasn't even close to a cognate.

They told you they wanted a language - not their fault Jeremy didn't read it correctly. What language can they assume with certainty that you speak?
I don't know. I never did figure out if they speak English in What.
BobF

Post by BobF »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:38 pm
Wheatley wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:31 pm

I don't know. I never did figure out if they speak English in What.
What language was the clue written in? If they wrote "Si tu parle French, (et tu le parle) tu parle cet langue" on a French version of Jeopardy!, you can be sure the correct question is "What is French?" "Quel est Francais?"
Last edited by BobF on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:37 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:29 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:53 am
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:00 am I thought choosing between Sixtus IV, V, and VI should have been the top box.
That could be solved logically with no knowledge of papal history. I like it.
What logic is there to be had?
Well, if there was a Sixtus V and VI, but not a Sixtus IV, there would have had to be a really weird reason for it. Occam's Razor it out and it's 99% likely to be the right answer.
Exactly. As seaborgium noted, there have been some screwy things related to pope names. But I would not expect them to answer us about an oddball situation where a name/number combo was skipped for some reason unless it had resulted in a huge story recently. So there not being a Sixtus VI should be obvious.

On a side note, if you (meaning anybody reading this) get the call, familiarizing yourself with pope names might be a good thing to do as they come up from time to time.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So apparently what I'm getting is that most of these clues run on moon logic.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:45 pm So apparently what I'm getting is that most of these clues run on moon logic.
You ever hear that joke about the guy who calls his wife on her cell phone to warn her that some idiot is driving the wrong way on the freeway? And she says, "It's not just ONE idiot! There's HUNDREDS of them!"
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:52 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:45 pm So apparently what I'm getting is that most of these clues run on moon logic.
You ever hear that joke about the guy who calls his wife on her cell phone to warn her that some idiot is driving the wrong way on the freeway? And she says, "It's not just ONE idiot! There's HUNDREDS of them!"
Slow clap.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

That sums up this entire thread.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

See that's the part I think rubs people the wrong way - when it's the quiz's fault rather then the quizee's.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I love the bird.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My logic is way more than 250,000 miles from your planet's.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Warren Commission concerned investigating the assassination of JFK, so LBJ, the man who became president.

FOREVER 'YOUNG" was intended to give players and viewers a little help. It failed you for the Ohio city and Chris with his missed DD for a steeper penalty.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Why wasn't "selling alcohol" BMS'd if they accepted "selling alcohol on Sundays"? I saw no way to choose between the two anyway.
Some states' blue laws single out alcohol. "Selling alcohol" by itself is wrong because by definition, no blue laws completely prohibit it.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:15 pm
My logic is way more than 250,000 miles from your planet's.
#7465, aired 2017-02-10 THE "EL"EMENTS $1200: Let's Se if you can name this element named for the moon

#6786, aired 2014-03-03 THE ELEMENTS $1600: The name of this element is from the Greek word for "moon"

#6016, aired 2010-11-08 IT'S ELEMENTAL, MY DEAR $2000: This element named for a moon goddess is used in photoelectric cells & solar batteries

#4472, aired 2004-02-03 ELEMENT"S" $2,000 (Daily Double): It was named for the moon as it was found with tellurium which was named for the Earth

#4154, aired 2002-09-26 MULTIPLE CHOICE $1600: The element with atomic number 34 is A. Solarium B. Sphagnum C. Substratum D. Selenium

#2922, aired 1997-04-22 NUTS $400: Native to the Amazon jungle, these triangular nuts are rich in selenium, an antioxidant

#2876, aired 1997-02-17 NUTRITION $600: This trace mineral, Se, may slow down the aging process by attacking free radicals in the body

#7195, aired 2015-12-18 NUT-TRITION $400: These biggies from the Amazon basin have many health benefits, but with their high selenium content, too many can be harmful

Moon logic is "NUt-ty"! Yet to be referenced in a J-clue: This Programming Language
Spoiler
Brazil Nuts appear twice in 30 years don't forget about those loony moony nuts! Selene = Goddess of the Moon. Se = Selenium atomic #34. Named for the moon. Found in the Earth - Tellurium, #52. Te appears below Se which is under Sulfur, S #16, all of which share similar chemical properties- Fun & Easy!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:51 am Exactly. As seaborgium noted, there have been some screwy things related to pope names. But I would not expect them to answer us about an oddball situation where a name/number combo was skipped for some reason unless it had resulted in a huge story recently. So there not being a Sixtus VI should be obvious.
Unless you don't know the history of popes. Some numbers have been skipped, so it's easy to go "well, Sixtus VI is blatant negbait, because why else would something that obvious be that far down the board? Must be IV or V."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

piñon looks very close to pine and bristlecone is a pine tree.

Advantage me living in the west and watching J! faithfully:
Spoiler
#6973, aired 2014-12-31 THUMP! $800: In 1964 a researcher wanted to count the rings of a bristlecone type of this tree, so he felled it & oops, it was 4,900
#5805, aired 2009-12-04 FORESTS $1600: Wheeler Peak in Nevada has a grove of the oldest type of tree, these pines; they're 3,000 if they're a day
#5355, aired 2007-12-14 CALIFORNIA, OREGON OR WASHINGTON $800: Home to the world's oldest living things, a grove of 4,000-year-old bristlecone pine trees
#5028, aired 2006-06-21 IT'S ALL A PLANT $1000: The Great Basin bristlecone species of this tree can live for more than 4,000 years
#4706, aired 2005-02-07 BOTANY $400: (Cheryl of the Clue Crew reports from a ski slope.) The bristlecone variety of this tree is the oldest type of living tree in the U.S., and can live 4,000 years or more
#4045, aired 2002-03-15 STATE SUPERLATIVES $800: At 4,600 years, bristlecone pines in this state's Inyo National Forest are believed to be the oldest living trees
#2811, aired 1996-11-18 NATURE $300: White, bristlecone & pinon are groups of the soft kind of this tree
#1237, aired 1990-01-09 NEVADA $1000: Nevada's state trees are the single-leafed pinion & this pine, the oldest of which may be 5,000 years old
#825, aired 1988-03-18 TREES $100: The 4600-year-old "Methusaleh", oldest known living thing, is a bristlecone variety of this tree
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:53 pm piñon looks very close to pine
Again with the "kinda sorta vaguely almost looks like a cognate if you squint at it" crap, huh?
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:53 pmand bristlecone is a pine tree.
[citation needed]
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:01 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:53 pm piñon looks very close to pine
Again with the "kinda sorta vaguely almost looks like a cognate if you squint at it" crap, huh?
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:53 pmand bristlecone is a pine tree.
[citation needed]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristlecone_pine