The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:38 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:37 pm
Let me ask you this. What have you learned about The Right Stuff since you posted that you knew nothing about it?
That there is a thing called "The Right Stuff". Is it ever going to come up again? Highly unlikely. I doubt "amuse bouche" is ever going to come up again either.
I mean highly unlikely. It hasn't ever come up before.

#7369, aired 2016-09-29 A LOOK AT BOOKS $1000: Norman Mailer said a novel by this man didn't have the right stuff: "It is a 742-page work that reads as if it is 1,500"
#6801, aired 2014-03-24 THE CHUCK WAGON $400: Sam Shepard played this aviator in "The Right Stuff"
#6697, aired 2013-10-29 NATIONAL BOOK AWARD WINNERS $600: He had "The Right Stuff" to win for his book about Chuck Yeager, Alan Shepard & others
#6205, aired 2011-07-29 RONS, DONS & JOHNS $600: He had the right stuff to be the first Ohioan elected to the U.S. Senate for 4 consecutive terms
#6163, aired 2011-06-01 ACTORS AS PRESIDENTS $1000: Donald Moffat in "The Right Stuff"
#4881, aired 2005-11-28 AWARDS & HONORS $1000: This winner of the National Book Award became a film starring Glenn as Shepard, Shepard as Yeager & Harris as Glenn
#4805, aired 2005-06-24 ASTRONAUTS $600: The book "The Right Stuff" describes his 2 personalities as "The Icy Commander" & "Smilin' Al"
4667, aired 2004-12-14 TOM WOLFE $1200: "The Right Stuff" tells of how this man broke the sound barrier with 2 broken ribs from a drunken horseback ride
#351, aired 1986-01-13 PLAYWRIGHTS $600: This playwright & actor portrayed Colonel Chuck Yeager, not Alan Shepard, in "The Right Stuff"
#21, aired 1984-10-08 DEMOCRATS $400: Ex-astronaut who's had "The Right Stuff" to win 2 Senate terms


Oh and hey look at that. I learned something new today. "The Right Stuff" was written by Tom Wolfe!
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's, and maybe some of Chris Harrison's?

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6958
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 pm

1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm
Oh and hey look at that. I learned something new today. "The Right Stuff" was written by Tom Wolfe!
And what good does that tidbit do you?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by heppm01 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:53 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm
Oh and hey look at that. I learned something new today. "The Right Stuff" was written by Tom Wolfe!
And what good does that tidbit do you?
Why are you so insistent in arguing with people who are trying to help you in good faith?

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6958
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:58 pm

heppm01 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:53 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm
Oh and hey look at that. I learned something new today. "The Right Stuff" was written by Tom Wolfe!
And what good does that tidbit do you?
Why are you so insistent in arguing with people who are trying to help you in good faith?
Because I don't get the point of learning something so utterly useless!
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:07 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm
Oh and hey look at that. I learned something new today. "The Right Stuff" was written by Tom Wolfe!
And what good does that tidbit do you?
I learn something! Maybe it will come in handy some day. After all, I enjoy trivia.
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's, and maybe some of Chris Harrison's?

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6958
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:11 pm

1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm
Oh and hey look at that. I learned something new today. "The Right Stuff" was written by Tom Wolfe!
And what good does that tidbit do you?
I learn something! Maybe it will come in handy some day. After all, I enjoy trivia.
You learned something that will never come in handy. Ever.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1423
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:17 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:11 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm
Oh and hey look at that. I learned something new today. "The Right Stuff" was written by Tom Wolfe!
And what good does that tidbit do you?
I learn something! Maybe it will come in handy some day. After all, I enjoy trivia.
You learned something that will never come in handy. Ever.
Was he reading one of your Wikipedia posts?

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:21 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:11 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm
Oh and hey look at that. I learned something new today. "The Right Stuff" was written by Tom Wolfe!
And what good does that tidbit do you?
I learn something! Maybe it will come in handy some day. After all, I enjoy trivia.
You learned something that will never come in handy. Ever.
You don't get to complain that you don't know stuff that's on Jeopardy! while simultaneously complain that it's useless information. A lot of stuff on Jeopardy is useless in my day to day life. But I'm here because I enjoy trivia games. Why are you here?
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's, and maybe some of Chris Harrison's?

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6958
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 pm

1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:21 pm
You don't get to complain that you don't know stuff that's on Jeopardy! while simultaneously complain that it's useless information. A lot of stuff on Jeopardy is useless in my day to day life. But I'm here because I enjoy trivia games. Why are you here?
Because I want to learn something actually useful, not pointless garbage that will never come up again.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:23 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:21 pm
You don't get to complain that you don't know stuff that's on Jeopardy! while simultaneously complain that it's useless information. A lot of stuff on Jeopardy is useless in my day to day life. But I'm here because I enjoy trivia games. Why are you here?
Because I want to learn something actually useful, not pointless garbage that will never come up again.
Yeah, this never came up before and will never come up again:

#7369, aired 2016-09-29 A LOOK AT BOOKS $1000: Norman Mailer said a novel by this man didn't have the right stuff: "It is a 742-page work that reads as if it is 1,500"
#6801, aired 2014-03-24 THE CHUCK WAGON $400: Sam Shepard played this aviator in "The Right Stuff"
#6697, aired 2013-10-29 NATIONAL BOOK AWARD WINNERS $600: He had "The Right Stuff" to win for his book about Chuck Yeager, Alan Shepard & others
#6205, aired 2011-07-29 RONS, DONS & JOHNS $600: He had the right stuff to be the first Ohioan elected to the U.S. Senate for 4 consecutive terms
#6163, aired 2011-06-01 ACTORS AS PRESIDENTS $1000: Donald Moffat in "The Right Stuff"
#4881, aired 2005-11-28 AWARDS & HONORS $1000: This winner of the National Book Award became a film starring Glenn as Shepard, Shepard as Yeager & Harris as Glenn
#4805, aired 2005-06-24 ASTRONAUTS $600: The book "The Right Stuff" describes his 2 personalities as "The Icy Commander" & "Smilin' Al"
4667, aired 2004-12-14 TOM WOLFE $1200: "The Right Stuff" tells of how this man broke the sound barrier with 2 broken ribs from a drunken horseback ride
#351, aired 1986-01-13 PLAYWRIGHTS $600: This playwright & actor portrayed Colonel Chuck Yeager, not Alan Shepard, in "The Right Stuff"
#21, aired 1984-10-08 DEMOCRATS $400: Ex-astronaut who's had "The Right Stuff" to win 2 Senate terms
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's, and maybe some of Chris Harrison's?

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1423
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:31 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:21 pm
You don't get to complain that you don't know stuff that's on Jeopardy! while simultaneously complain that it's useless information. A lot of stuff on Jeopardy is useless in my day to day life. But I'm here because I enjoy trivia games. Why are you here?
Because I want to learn something actually useful, not pointless garbage that will never come up again.
No you don't. You just want people to pay attention to you, and "playing" dumb makes it happen. Everyone gets sucked into it eventually, even me.

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by heppm01 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:13 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:21 pm
You don't get to complain that you don't know stuff that's on Jeopardy! while simultaneously complain that it's useless information. A lot of stuff on Jeopardy is useless in my day to day life. But I'm here because I enjoy trivia games. Why are you here?
Because I want to learn something actually useful, not pointless garbage that will never come up again.
Some of us enjoy learning new things for its own sake. I'd rather have my brain packed full of useless information than it be a complete void. That said, if you are looking to learn something actually useful then Jeopardy is probably not your best venue. PBS and CreateTV have a ton of shows that can teach you how to cook, woodwork, renovate a house, etc. Some of them probably even have forums where you can remark about how nobody would ever need to replace a fireplace, or that there are literally a million degrees and how are you supposed to know which one is "Medium" on your stove?

RKane
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by RKane » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:11 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:58 pm
heppm01 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:53 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm
Oh and hey look at that. I learned something new today. "The Right Stuff" was written by Tom Wolfe!
And what good does that tidbit do you?
Why are you so insistent in arguing with people who are trying to help you in good faith?
Because I don't get the point of learning something so utterly useless!
Then why the flying fuck watch Jeopardy! - a trivia† game - and talk about so much then?


† (noun) details, considerations, or pieces of information of little importance or value.
I may never be on Jeooardy!, but I did instaget a Final Jeopardy in the final round of a high-level tournament that stumped both Ken and Brad.

rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by rjaguar3 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:51 pm

1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:38 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:37 pm
Let me ask you this. What have you learned about The Right Stuff since you posted that you knew nothing about it?
That there is a thing called "The Right Stuff". Is it ever going to come up again? Highly unlikely. I doubt "amuse bouche" is ever going to come up again either.
I mean highly unlikely. It hasn't ever come up before.

#7369, aired 2016-09-29 A LOOK AT BOOKS $1000: Norman Mailer said a novel by this man didn't have the right stuff: "It is a 742-page work that reads as if it is 1,500"
#6801, aired 2014-03-24 THE CHUCK WAGON $400: Sam Shepard played this aviator in "The Right Stuff"
#6697, aired 2013-10-29 NATIONAL BOOK AWARD WINNERS $600: He had "The Right Stuff" to win for his book about Chuck Yeager, Alan Shepard & others
#6205, aired 2011-07-29 RONS, DONS & JOHNS $600: He had the right stuff to be the first Ohioan elected to the U.S. Senate for 4 consecutive terms
#6163, aired 2011-06-01 ACTORS AS PRESIDENTS $1000: Donald Moffat in "The Right Stuff"
#4881, aired 2005-11-28 AWARDS & HONORS $1000: This winner of the National Book Award became a film starring Glenn as Shepard, Shepard as Yeager & Harris as Glenn
#4805, aired 2005-06-24 ASTRONAUTS $600: The book "The Right Stuff" describes his 2 personalities as "The Icy Commander" & "Smilin' Al"
4667, aired 2004-12-14 TOM WOLFE $1200: "The Right Stuff" tells of how this man broke the sound barrier with 2 broken ribs from a drunken horseback ride
#351, aired 1986-01-13 PLAYWRIGHTS $600: This playwright & actor portrayed Colonel Chuck Yeager, not Alan Shepard, in "The Right Stuff"
#21, aired 1984-10-08 DEMOCRATS $400: Ex-astronaut who's had "The Right Stuff" to win 2 Senate terms


Oh and hey look at that. I learned something new today. "The Right Stuff" was written by Tom Wolfe!
I wrote an SHC clue about The Right Stuff (the movie) in the TOC. http://shc2017.gregorygauthier.com/category.php?id=76 I think it helped me get the right answer.

Others who do quizbowl find that the process of reading about things they don't know and writing questions about them helps them learn.

User avatar
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)
Posts: 1961
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:14 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:21 pm
You don't get to complain that you don't know stuff that's on Jeopardy! while simultaneously complain that it's useless information. A lot of stuff on Jeopardy is useless in my day to day life. But I'm here because I enjoy trivia games. Why are you here?
Because I want to learn something actually useful, not pointless garbage that will never come up again.
OK. But what are you currently learning? What courses are you taking? What are you reading? What educational TV are watching?

No fair claiming there's no point in learning "useless garbage" if you're not learning useful topics.
OCSam

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5699
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:50 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:11 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm
Oh and hey look at that. I learned something new today. "The Right Stuff" was written by Tom Wolfe!
And what good does that tidbit do you?
I learn something! Maybe it will come in handy some day. After all, I enjoy trivia.
You learned something that will never come in handy. Ever.
It helps prevent him from having his username in the title of a thread.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6958
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:43 am

I have found that, even when I do learn something that might be useful, I never seem to have that feeling of "that's cool, I learned something today" even when it's something within my interests. I never feel any "gain" even in the event that I actually do learn something interesting. And I guess I'm just feeling disillusioned over the concept of learning in the first place because it never seemed to be "worth it" to learn at all. So maybe that's the rub.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 956
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:27 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:43 am
I have found that, even when I do learn something that might be useful, I never seem to have that feeling of "that's cool, I learned something today" even when it's something within my interests. I never feel any "gain" even in the event that I actually do learn something interesting. And I guess I'm just feeling disillusioned over the concept of learning in the first place because it never seemed to be "worth it" to learn at all. So maybe that's the rub.
Just curious - are you familiar with different musical modalities? (Dorian, Myxolidian, Ionian, etc..) This is an example of very specific and very useless information that I find fascinating. My music aptitude (ineptitude) is straight left brain - it is about the physics and the math relationships. I brush up on these occasionally but have no ability to discern them. It sure isn't "worth it" for me to know about them but it gives me a buzz to see behind the curtain anyway.
- All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford (Winner of Nobel price in CHEMISTRY)-
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 740
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:23 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:58 pm
heppm01 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:53 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm
Oh and hey look at that. I learned something new today. "The Right Stuff" was written by Tom Wolfe!
And what good does that tidbit do you?
Why are you so insistent in arguing with people who are trying to help you in good faith?
Because I don't get the point of learning something so utterly useless!
Not useless if someone liked the movie but didn't know who wrote the book. Now they can research other things he wrote to see if they enjoy his other works.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:37 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:50 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:11 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm
Oh and hey look at that. I learned something new today. "The Right Stuff" was written by Tom Wolfe!
And what good does that tidbit do you?
I learn something! Maybe it will come in handy some day. After all, I enjoy trivia.
You learned something that will never come in handy. Ever.
It helps prevent him from having his username in the title of a thread.
Challenge Accepted
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's, and maybe some of Chris Harrison's?

Post Reply