The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6662
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:32 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:45 am
When did you last get FJ right?
12/29
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
nklotz
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:06 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by nklotz » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:34 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:32 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:45 am
When did you last get FJ right?
12/29
For anyone curious as I was...

"Following a show's success in 2011, this group began advertising, "You've seen the play...now read the book"
SpoilerShow
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6662
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:20 pm

Okay, super vague clues like this aren't helping (3/9 spoiler):
Bill Fernandez, who in 1971 introduced to each other the 2 founders of this California company, became its first full-time employee in 1977
A meaningless name, the super vague hint of "California company" when there are billions of companies based there. I'm not seeing anything to winnow this down whatsoever.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

RKane
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by RKane » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:40 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:20 pm
Okay, super vague clues like this aren't helping (3/9 spoiler):
Bill Fernandez, who in 1971 introduced to each other the 2 founders of this California company, became its first full-time employee in 1977
A meaningless name, the super vague hint of "California company" when there are billions of companies based there. I'm not seeing anything to winnow this down whatsoever.


No, God damn it, there's not.

There's maybe a thousand notable companies in California, which is already far less than "billions." Given that the category is "Big business" it's probably fair to narrow it down to the 53 which made the Fortune 500 this year. Hell, even a WAG of the highest-placed entry on that list would have gotten you a correct response.
I may never be on Jeooardy!, but I did instaget a Final Jeopardy in the final round of a high-level tournament that stumped both Ken and Brad.

RKane
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by RKane » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:43 pm

Also did my detailed explanation of subtraction a few pages back help you out?
I may never be on Jeooardy!, but I did instaget a Final Jeopardy in the final round of a high-level tournament that stumped both Ken and Brad.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6662
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:46 pm

RKane wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:40 pm
There's maybe a thousand notable companies in California, which is already far less than "billions." Given that the category is "Big business" it's probably fair to narrow it down to the 53 which made the Fortune 500 this year. Hell, even a WAG of the highest-placed entry on that list would have gotten you a correct response.
So you're saying it's at BEST a 1 in 53 shot.
RKane wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:43 pm
Also did my detailed explanation of subtraction a few pages back help you out?
On what?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

RKane
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by RKane » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:18 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:46 pm
RKane wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:40 pm
There's maybe a thousand notable companies in California, which is already far less than "billions." Given that the category is "Big business" it's probably fair to narrow it down to the 53 which made the Fortune 500 this year. Hell, even a WAG of the highest-placed entry on that list would have gotten you a correct response.
So you're saying it's at BEST a 1 in 53 shot.
No, that was just a quick way of narrowing it down from "billions" (there's not even 1 billion companies in the world, though there probably is over 100,000,000) to a manageable amount...in principle, one could memorize all 53 of those as well as a few facts about them. Anyways, some are obviously older than 1977 and some are obviously newer.

Moreover, California is Pavlov for tech, wineries or show business when it comes to big industries...and it's doubtful many wineries are that big, so probably just tech or show business...and most of the big show business companies are older than that ... so a tech company is a good guess...and you know it's not something like Facebook or eBay given the 1977 date...so it narrows it down ever more. There's a few reasonable guesses, but this "billions" business is, frankly, silly.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:46 pm
RKane wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:43 pm
Also did my detailed explanation of subtraction a few pages back help you out?
On what?
You wanted to know how to do $1 - $0.47 and I gave an overly detailed answer.
I may never be on Jeooardy!, but I did instaget a Final Jeopardy in the final round of a high-level tournament that stumped both Ken and Brad.

tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:06 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by tiwonge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:20 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:46 pm
RKane wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:40 pm
There's maybe a thousand notable companies in California, which is already far less than "billions." Given that the category is "Big business" it's probably fair to narrow it down to the 53 which made the Fortune 500 this year. Hell, even a WAG of the highest-placed entry on that list would have gotten you a correct response.
So you're saying it's at BEST a 1 in 53 shot.
No, this would make it at WORST a 1 in 53 shot. (You could probably narrow it down more if you needed to--the time frame (so no companies founded in the 90s or in tech booms, and no companies founded in the 50s or the 19th century), founded by two co-founders, etc.)

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6662
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 pm

RKane wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:18 pm
No, that was just a quick way of narrowing it down from "billions" (there's not even 1 billion companies in the world, though there probably is over 100,000,000) to a manageable amount...in principle, one could memorize all 53 of those as well as a few facts about them. Anyways, some are obviously older than 1977 and some are obviously newer.

Moreover, California is Pavlov for tech, wineries or show business when it comes to big industries...and it's doubtful many wineries are that big, so probably just tech or show business...and most of the big show business companies are older than that ... so a tech company is a good guess...and you know it's not something like Facebook or eBay given the 1977 date...so it narrows it down ever more. There's a few reasonable guesses, but this "billions" business is, frankly, silly.
I thought it was clear that "billions" is hyperbole.

That's still an INSANE amount of info to grind through in 30 seconds. This required an awful lot of guesswork. It might possibly maybe be a tech company that's still big to this day, or it could be some company that's so obscure that it makes Liederkranz seem totally mainstream in comparison. Because they've done that before!
RKane wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:18 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:46 pm
RKane wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:43 pm
Also did my detailed explanation of subtraction a few pages back help you out?
On what?
You wanted to know how to do $1 - $0.47 and I gave an overly detailed answer.
No, that's only confusing me even further.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5351
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:47 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 pm
That's still an INSANE amount of info to grind through in 30 seconds. This required an awful lot of guesswork. It might possibly maybe be a tech company that's still big to this day, or it could be some company that's so obscure that it makes Liederkranz seem totally mainstream in comparison. Because they've done that before!
[citation needed]

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6662
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:53 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:47 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 pm
That's still an INSANE amount of info to grind through in 30 seconds. This required an awful lot of guesswork. It might possibly maybe be a tech company that's still big to this day, or it could be some company that's so obscure that it makes Liederkranz seem totally mainstream in comparison. Because they've done that before!
[citation needed]
The 0% get rate on this board for "flight simulator" says hello.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

RKane
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by RKane » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:58 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 pm
RKane wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:18 pm
No, that was just a quick way of narrowing it down from "billions" (there's not even 1 billion companies in the world, though there probably is over 100,000,000) to a manageable amount...in principle, one could memorize all 53 of those as well as a few facts about them. Anyways, some are obviously older than 1977 and some are obviously newer.

Moreover, California is Pavlov for tech, wineries or show business when it comes to big industries...and it's doubtful many wineries are that big, so probably just tech or show business...and most of the big show business companies are older than that ... so a tech company is a good guess...and you know it's not something like Facebook or eBay given the 1977 date...so it narrows it down ever more. There's a few reasonable guesses, but this "billions" business is, frankly, silly.
I thought it was clear that "billions" is hyperbole.
Very irritating hyperbole.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 pm
That's still an INSANE amount of info to grind through in 30 seconds. This required an awful lot of guesswork. It might possibly maybe be a tech company that's still big to this day, or it could be some company that's so obscure that it makes Liederkranz seem totally mainstream in comparison. Because they've done that before!
Well, the guesswork I noted should take about two seconds...i.e., with a few seconds, you should be thinking of tech companies. You then have 20 seconds to think of one (just pick one!) and 8 to write it down.

And yeah, it might be obscure, and the guesswork might be wrong. Who cares?
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 pm
RKane wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:18 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:46 pm
RKane wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:43 pm
Also did my detailed explanation of subtraction a few pages back help you out?
On what?
You wanted to know how to do $1 - $0.47 and I gave an overly detailed answer.
No, that's only confusing me even further.
Well there's 15 steps. Which one is confusing you?
I may never be on Jeooardy!, but I did instaget a Final Jeopardy in the final round of a high-level tournament that stumped both Ken and Brad.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5774
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:06 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:53 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:47 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 pm
That's still an INSANE amount of info to grind through in 30 seconds. This required an awful lot of guesswork. It might possibly maybe be a tech company that's still big to this day, or it could be some company that's so obscure that it makes Liederkranz seem totally mainstream in comparison. Because they've done that before!
[citation needed]
The 0% get rate on this board for "flight simulator" says hello.
There's literally been one FJ with that record. Sure, there's single digit gets, but they're still the minority.

Always figure they're not deliberately trying to skunk the audience or the players (exception: TOC). The difficulty can vary (greatly) but if they ask for, say, a company, especially from the 1970s, odds are it's a company you know of even if you don't know the story behind the trivia. And on the occasion we do get mostly skunked? BRUSH IT OFF AS AN ANOMALY ALREADY. *grabs paper bag, breathes into it*

Stop treating liederkranz, et. al., as the rule. They are not.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6662
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:11 pm

RKane wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:58 pm
Well, the guesswork I noted should take about two seconds...i.e., with a few seconds, you should be thinking of tech companies.
Why? What if that doesn't occur to me at all?
RKane wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:58 pm
And yeah, it might be obscure, and the guesswork might be wrong. Who cares?
So you're saying I might as well just write down "What are zombie butts?" every time?
RKane wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:58 pm
Well there's 15 steps. Which one is confusing you?
Somewhere around step 6.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5351
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:53 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:47 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 pm
That's still an INSANE amount of info to grind through in 30 seconds. This required an awful lot of guesswork. It might possibly maybe be a tech company that's still big to this day, or it could be some company that's so obscure that it makes Liederkranz seem totally mainstream in comparison. Because they've done that before!
[citation needed]
The 0% get rate on this board for "flight simulator" says hello.
I didn't realize that was a company

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6662
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:19 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:53 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:47 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 pm
That's still an INSANE amount of info to grind through in 30 seconds. This required an awful lot of guesswork. It might possibly maybe be a tech company that's still big to this day, or it could be some company that's so obscure that it makes Liederkranz seem totally mainstream in comparison. Because they've done that before!
[citation needed]
The 0% get rate on this board for "flight simulator" says hello.
I didn't realize that was a company
My emphasis was on "so obscure that it makes Liederkranz seem totally mainstream in comparison." Literally no one on this board was even able to figure out what a "flight simulator" would be in a 1930s context.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5351
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:22 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:19 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:53 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:47 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 pm
That's still an INSANE amount of info to grind through in 30 seconds. This required an awful lot of guesswork. It might possibly maybe be a tech company that's still big to this day, or it could be some company that's so obscure that it makes Liederkranz seem totally mainstream in comparison. Because they've done that before!
[citation needed]
The 0% get rate on this board for "flight simulator" says hello.
I didn't realize that was a company
My emphasis was on "so obscure that it makes Liederkranz seem totally mainstream in comparison." Literally no one on this board was even able to figure out what a "flight simulator" would be in a 1930s context.
I'm looking for a citation of the FJ response of a company that's so obscure it makes Liederkranz look totally mainstream in comparison. Everything you say is hyperbole (and that's barely hyperbole).

RKane
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by RKane » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:24 pm

Fuck this, I give up.

I don't know what misguided hubris made me think I could do this, but I realize now it's a waste of time.
If a player who was two or three answers away from being considered one of the all time Jeopardy greats can't get through to you, I don't know how I expected to.

Either you are an imbecile or you are one of the most long running trolls ever, but either way I'm done.
I may never be on Jeooardy!, but I did instaget a Final Jeopardy in the final round of a high-level tournament that stumped both Ken and Brad.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6662
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:26 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:22 pm
I'm looking for a citation of the FJ response of a company that's so obscure it makes Liederkranz look totally mainstream in comparison. Everything you say is hyperbole.
I'm not saying that there is a company that is, per se. Just that, since there have been FJ! facts before that have been hideously obscure even to this crowd, why should I not brace myself for the hideously obscure every time?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5351
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:29 pm

Because it's not hideously obscure every time. Apple says hello.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], CailinGaoilge, davey, DBear, eapedDep, econgator and 46 guests