The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5446
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Wed May 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Geysers smell like sulfur. Sulfur is yellow.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 812
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy » Thu May 10, 2018 12:47 am

I'd go the bear route. They are synonymous with Yellowstone, which sounds like Jellystone, home of Yogi Bear and Boo boo.
- All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford (Winner of Nobel price in CHEMISTRY)-
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
mikebdoss
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by mikebdoss » Thu May 10, 2018 1:04 am

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:03 pm
I'm not used to finding this thread on page 2. There are rules here of course. :)

Anyway, nothing about a J! game, but the TV show Superior Donuts instead. The owner of the shop announced they were out of "long johns." Based on context I knew it had to be something edible and was not clothing. I had no idea what to picture though. I found the answer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_John_(doughnut) (not an appetizing image at all)

Hammer and others: Any other regional variations? It never hurts to learn something about a goodie. I agree with the article on the West Coast terminology.
When I was a kid, I remember people calling bar donuts "Long Johns" here in southern California. Not sure if it was my mom (family from Massachusetts) or my dad (family from California), but I remember the name. Nowadays here, we call them "bar donuts", or specific for flavor (maple bar, chocolate bar, filled bar). Oddly enough, they're never just "bars" without a modifier. No one would say "give me a dozen bars", for example.

User avatar
dinghammer
No Relation
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by dinghammer » Thu May 10, 2018 1:33 am

Elijah Baley wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:09 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:21 pm
And I know that, but just like "Which of Jupiter/Saturn/Uranus/Neptune is biggest", it blatantly refuses to stick in my head no matter how hard I force it.
About Yellowstone and Yosemite - one way to remember which is which is by visiting them. Or just pick one - Yellowstone is closer to you. You're not likely to forget it after visiting.
This works for the gas giants too.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5982
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu May 10, 2018 7:10 am

dinghammer wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:33 am
Elijah Baley wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:09 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:21 pm
And I know that, but just like "Which of Jupiter/Saturn/Uranus/Neptune is biggest", it blatantly refuses to stick in my head no matter how hard I force it.
About Yellowstone and Yosemite - one way to remember which is which is by visiting them. Or just pick one - Yellowstone is closer to you. You're not likely to forget it after visiting.
This works for the gas giants too.
:lol:

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4076
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu May 10, 2018 10:41 am

mikebdoss wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:04 am
MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:03 pm
I'm not used to finding this thread on page 2. There are rules here of course. :)

Anyway, nothing about a J! game, but the TV show Superior Donuts instead. The owner of the shop announced they were out of "long johns." Based on context I knew it had to be something edible and was not clothing. I had no idea what to picture though. I found the answer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_John_(doughnut) (not an appetizing image at all)

Hammer and others: Any other regional variations? It never hurts to learn something about a goodie. I agree with the article on the West Coast terminology.
When I was a kid, I remember people calling bar donuts "Long Johns" here in southern California. Not sure if it was my mom (family from Massachusetts) or my dad (family from California), but I remember the name. Nowadays here, we call them "bar donuts", or specific for flavor (maple bar, chocolate bar, filled bar). Oddly enough, they're never just "bars" without a modifier. No one would say "give me a dozen bars", for example.
I've always referred to them as long johns. I've heard the term "maple bar," but the ones with chocolate have always been long johns. They are filled with either custard or creme.

User avatar
mikebdoss
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by mikebdoss » Thu May 10, 2018 12:28 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:41 am
I've always referred to them as long johns. I've heard the term "maple bar," but the ones with chocolate have always been long johns. They are filled with either custard or creme.
Interesting. Where are you?

You can get filled bars here, but the vast majority of bar donuts at the shops I frequent are just yeast donuts, no filling.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4076
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu May 10, 2018 12:46 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:28 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:41 am
I've always referred to them as long johns. I've heard the term "maple bar," but the ones with chocolate have always been long johns. They are filled with either custard or creme.
Interesting. Where are you?
Seattle, but I grew up in Michigan. I can't tell you for certain if the term "long john" is used here or not.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6765
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu May 10, 2018 12:47 pm

So I looked back at this game's "Not in the Bible" category, and I'm stunned at how tough it was.
Bernice, Bacchus, Bartimaeus
All three sound equally Biblical to me. Bernice is only passingly mentioned in Acts, and Bartimaeus is so obscure he doesn't even have a Wikipedia article. I went with "Bernice", figuring it to be a more modern name since I'm far more likely to meet a person in real life named Bernice than Bacchus or Bartimaeus.
Lois, Lydia, Luther
Given Martin Luther, it's totally valid to believe there's a Luther in the Bible if you've NHO Lois or Lydia, which I bet most people haven't. I looked up the other two, and each is mentioned only in a single verse.
Alexander, Amenhotep, Agrippa
Annas, Atreyu, Aquila
These two are no better. All three sound equally Biblical to me.
Shadrach, Shamash, Shalmaneser
This was the only one that I was actually able to eliminate a choice on, because of Rack, Shack, and Benny from VeggieTales. Still leaves it a total coinflip.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5982
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu May 10, 2018 3:08 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:47 pm
So I looked back at this game's "Not in the Bible" category, and I'm stunned at how tough it was.
Bernice, Bacchus, Bartimaeus
All three sound equally Biblical to me. Bernice is only passingly mentioned in Acts, and Bartimaeus is so obscure he doesn't even have a Wikipedia article. I went with "Bernice", figuring it to be a more modern name since I'm far more likely to meet a person in real life named Bernice than Bacchus or Bartimaeus.
Lois, Lydia, Luther
Given Martin Luther, it's totally valid to believe there's a Luther in the Bible if you've NHO Lois or Lydia, which I bet most people haven't. I looked up the other two, and each is mentioned only in a single verse.
Alexander, Amenhotep, Agrippa
Annas, Atreyu, Aquila
These two are no better. All three sound equally Biblical to me.
Shadrach, Shamash, Shalmaneser
This was the only one that I was actually able to eliminate a choice on, because of Rack, Shack, and Benny from VeggieTales. Still leaves it a total coinflip.
Agreed on all counts. I ran the category, but not easily. In each case, the correct response is someone who MIGHT be mentioned in the Bible but happens not to be. (As you say, maybe Martin Luther's surname comes from Scripture. It doesn't sound UN-Biblical. And even if you know Atreyu from The Neverending Story, are you SURE he didn't get his name from some minor Old Testament character?) So you either have to know specifically that the other two ARE in the Bible or have a strong intuition that the correct response is NEVER mentioned. E.g. on the "easiest" one, I couldn't have sworn that Bacchus NEVER comes up. But I knew for sure that Bernice and Bartimaeus do. And with Bernice, she gets three mentions and zero lines, so come on!

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6765
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu May 10, 2018 3:12 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 3:08 pm
\
Agreed on all counts. I ran the category, but not easily. In each case, the correct response is someone who MIGHT be mentioned in the Bible but happens not to be. (As you say, maybe Martin Luther's surname comes from Scripture. It doesn't sound UN-Biblical. And even if you know Atreyu from The Neverending Story, are you SURE he didn't get his name from some minor Old Testament character?) So you either have to know specifically that the other two ARE in the Bible or have a strong intuition that the correct response is NEVER mentioned. E.g. on the "easiest" one, I couldn't have sworn that Bacchus NEVER comes up. But I knew for sure that Bernice and Bartimaeus do. And with Bernice, she gets three mentions and zero lines, so come on!
I don't see any way to narrow down the top one to Bacchus. As I said, I went with "Bernice" because I figured on it being a comparatively more modern name -- I'm far more likely to run into someone who actually has that name than I am the other two choices.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9024
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman » Thu May 10, 2018 5:41 pm

I got Bacchus because he is the Roman god of wine and figured he wouldn't be in the Bible. But I was clueless on the others, other than being able to eliminate Shadrach.

Minor spoiler comment for the 5/10/18 game. It involves one clue in the first round.
SpoilerShow
I got a chuckle watching today's show when the FJ from this game popped up in a clue.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5982
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu May 10, 2018 6:09 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 5:41 pm
I got Bacchus because he is the Roman god of wine and figured he wouldn't be in the Bible.
It's hardly unlikely. The Greek gods Zeus, Hermes, and Artemis all get a shout out.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5446
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Thu May 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Yeah, I could come up with justifications for a lot of those correct responses, but I think I would end up sounding like someone on the board, after a J! clue asked for the biggest 3-digit prime number, who justified 997 by saying that 900 + 50 + 37 [sic] looked prime, whereas, for example, 900 + 50 + 39 clearly didn't. Like Shadrach, Shamash, and Shalmaneser: when I saw the answer, I was like, "Okay, well, Shadrach was one of the fiery furnace guys, and 'Shalmaneser' ends with similar sounds to 'Nebuchadnezzar,' who is a well known biblical character, so of course it was Shamash" And the second part is BS because those two names are etymologically unrelated. I probably let the ends justify the means more often than I'd like to admit when I get stuff right, but that would have been a straight-up false positive getting me to the correct answer by dumb luck.

tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:06 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by tiwonge » Fri May 11, 2018 4:18 am

twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:47 am
I'd go the bear route. They are synonymous with Yellowstone, which sounds like Jellystone, home of Yogi Bear and Boo boo.
When I was in Yosemite, there were all sorts of warnings about bears, and about not leaving food out and using the bear boxes to store food and food-smelling items. Thee were photos of cars that had had their doors ripped off by hungry bears looking for a snack.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8095
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri May 11, 2018 10:05 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:28 am
Sarah Jessica Parker is an utterly unfamiliar name to me.
That's because her two previous appearances this season were not first box stumpers:

#7693, aired 2018-02-07  THE STATEN ISLAND FERRY IN POP CULTURE $800: "I lost my choo!" she said while running for the Staten Island Ferry on an episode of "Sex and the City"

#7626, aired 2017-11-06  STARS' INITIAL SHOWS $1600: Sarah Jessica Parker, 1982: "S.P."

Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Stanislaus Jacob » Fri May 11, 2018 10:34 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:09 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 5:41 pm
I got Bacchus because he is the Roman god of wine and figured he wouldn't be in the Bible.
It's hardly unlikely. The Greek gods Zeus, Hermes, and Artemis all get a shout out.
Yes, but I think it would still be tricky to consider him a Blblical character even if he were mentioned in passing. Many pagan gods are mentioned in the Bible, but they don't really appear in the Bible, since the authors of the Bible did not consider them to really exist. (At least the authors of the New Testament, which is where Bacchus would appear if he were mentioned - I know there are some who claim that the very earliest Israelites were really henotheists rather than monotheists.) And contrary to what TPH himself often seems to think, the writers are rarely out to trick us. So I think that was a reasonable clue.

It is interesting that Lois, Lydia, and Bernice have had such good runs as female first names when the original persons are all mentioned so briefly.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6765
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri May 11, 2018 11:49 am

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:05 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:28 am
Sarah Jessica Parker is an utterly unfamiliar name to me.
That's because her two previous appearances this season were not first box stumpers:
It's probably the generic name again. Not nearly as Hawley-Smootish as Nora Ephron.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5982
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Sun May 13, 2018 9:43 am

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:34 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:09 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 5:41 pm
I got Bacchus because he is the Roman god of wine and figured he wouldn't be in the Bible.
It's hardly unlikely. The Greek gods Zeus, Hermes, and Artemis all get a shout out.
Yes, but I think it would still be tricky to consider him a Blblical character even if he were mentioned in passing.
I don't think it matters in this case. The category was NOT IN THE BIBLE.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5446
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Tue May 15, 2018 11:39 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:42 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:33 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:27 pm
No guess on FJ! Even when he spotted the other 5, I had no idea that Arabic was the missing one. And I wouldn't remotely consider Arabic "cursive".
And what do you think "cursive" means?
The etymology of the word seems to come from a Latin word for "running". What does that have to do with Arabic?
You didn't answer my question.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mrbungle and 16 guests