The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5950
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:27 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 pm
alietr wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 pm
Queen is Reina in Spanish. I guess that wasn't close enough to Rainha.
There you go using "sounds like" again.
::Headdesk::

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6066
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:38 pm

alietr wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:27 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 pm
alietr wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 pm
Queen is Reina in Spanish. I guess that wasn't close enough to Rainha.
There you go using "sounds like" again.
::Headdesk::
Image

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7630
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:40 pm

alietr wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:27 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 pm
alietr wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 pm
Queen is Reina in Spanish. I guess that wasn't close enough to Rainha.
There you go using "sounds like" again.
::Headdesk::
C'mon, Andy ... you know better than that!

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6896
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 pm

Seriously. "It sounds like ____" is inherently subjective. The only way to figure this FJ! out at all is with a completely ex-recto hunch just because one of the words is almost a cognate.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6066
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:55 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 pm
Seriously. "It sounds like ____" is inherently subjective.
And yet it works for just about everyone but you as a path to solving clues. Think of it like facial recognition. Most people have it, a few don't.

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2719
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:53 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:05 pm
I know the names of all the chess pieces in both English and Spanish. But not a single one of those sounded even remotely like any of them.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 pm
alietr wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 pm
Queen is Reina in Spanish. I guess that wasn't close enough to Rainha.
There you go using "sounds like" again.
Um, no. He didn't. You did.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 pm
Seriously. "It sounds like ____" is inherently subjective. The only way to figure this FJ! out at all is with a completely ex-recto hunch just because one of the words is almost a cognate.
The fact that you understand that cognates exist disproves the rest of your statement. Rainha is absolutely a cognate of reina.
Sprinkles are for winners.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6896
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:30 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:53 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:05 pm
I know the names of all the chess pieces in both English and Spanish. But not a single one of those sounded even remotely like any of them.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 pm
alietr wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 pm
Queen is Reina in Spanish. I guess that wasn't close enough to Rainha.
There you go using "sounds like" again.
Um, no. He didn't. You did.
And so has just about everyone else that got it right. "I got it because rainha sounded almost vaguely like any word for queen".
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:53 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 pm
Seriously. "It sounds like ____" is inherently subjective. The only way to figure this FJ! out at all is with a completely ex-recto hunch just because one of the words is almost a cognate.
The fact that you understand that cognates exist disproves the rest of your statement. Rainha is absolutely a cognate of reina.
False cognates exist too. Is there any reason I should not expect a false cognate?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5950
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:50 am

I'd love to get a psychiatrist to opine on this thread.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6066
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:27 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:30 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:53 am
The fact that you understand that cognates exist disproves the rest of your statement. Rainha is absolutely a cognate of reina.
False cognates exist too. Is there any reason I should not expect a false cognate?
None whatsoever. Cognates have absolutely no utility in solving clues. You should not take them into consideration.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6896
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:28 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:27 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:30 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:53 am
The fact that you understand that cognates exist disproves the rest of your statement. Rainha is absolutely a cognate of reina.
False cognates exist too. Is there any reason I should not expect a false cognate?
None whatsoever. Cognates have absolutely no utility in solving clues. You should not take them into consideration.
Then why is everyone saying they got this one from recognizing a cognate for queen?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4144
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:33 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 pm
alietr wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 pm
Queen is Reina in Spanish. I guess that wasn't close enough to Rainha.
There you go using "sounds like" again.
Forget about "sounds like," wouldn't you say reina and rainha look similar? I guess I already know the answer, so never mind...

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6066
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:56 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:28 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:27 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:30 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:53 am
The fact that you understand that cognates exist disproves the rest of your statement. Rainha is absolutely a cognate of reina.
False cognates exist too. Is there any reason I should not expect a false cognate?
None whatsoever. Cognates have absolutely no utility in solving clues. You should not take them into consideration.
Then why is everyone saying they got this one from recognizing a cognate for queen?
We're all very lucky when we make wild random guesses. There is no other rational explanation.

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Elijah Baley » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:52 pm

alietr wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:50 am
I'd love to get a psychiatrist to opine on this thread.
Just let me know where to send $$ to contribute to retaining one - although would it be for us or TPH? I only ask because of what they say about the definition of insanity ...

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6896
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:33 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote: Forget about "sounds like," wouldn't you say reina and rainha look similar? I guess I already know the answer, so never mind...
So is that the only way to solve this?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4144
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:36 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:33 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Forget about "sounds like," wouldn't you say reina and rainha look similar? I guess I already know the answer, so never mind...
So is that the only way to solve this?
The definitive way would be to know one of those words means "queen" in English. If you don't know that, realizing they're all similar to another word you DO know means "queen" in English seem like the best path. Failing that perhaps you might think, "hey these look a little like the English word 'reign.' Kings and queens both reign, but the 'a' ending points to it being feminine."

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Elijah Baley » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:09 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:33 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Forget about "sounds like," wouldn't you say reina and rainha look similar? I guess I already know the answer, so never mind...
So is that the only way to solve this?
So if you saw a sign on a building in London that said "theatre," you'd have no clue what might be inside the building?

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:52 pm

Elijah Baley wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:09 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:33 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Forget about "sounds like," wouldn't you say reina and rainha look similar? I guess I already know the answer, so never mind...
So is that the only way to solve this?
So if you saw a sign on a building in London that said "theatre," you'd have no clue what might be inside the building?
That depends. What colour is the theatre?
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's, and maybe some of Chris Harrison's?

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 6896
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:04 pm

British English isn't an entirely different language from what I speak, though.

If I were in Croatia and saw a kazalište (thank you, Google Translate), I'd have no idea what it was.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2719
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:36 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:04 pm
British English isn't an entirely different language from what I speak, though.

If I were in Croatia and saw a kazalište (thank you, Google Translate), I'd have no idea what it was.
As soon as there's a FJ! that requires you to know a random Croatian word with no connection to English or any language commonly taught in U.S. schools, you'll have a legitimate gripe.
Sprinkles are for winners.

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Elijah Baley » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:50 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:04 pm
British English isn't an entirely different language from what I speak, though.
Just as Portuguese, French and Italian, for example, aren't always that different from Spanish, which you claim to have some knowledge of.

So if you saw "cozinha" when in Portugal or "cucina" in Italy (or in a Jeopardy clue), saying either of them out loud - even if you're mispronouncing - it's likely to sound like "cochina." Even in the absence of any other clues, it's most likely going to still mean "kitchen." (Heck, you could even get it from Polish, of all things: kuchinia).

If you could get past this block that considers educated guessing as immoral, sinful, depraved, illegal, criminal, scandalous, scurrilous, unseemly or just downright unthinkable, that is.

Post Reply