The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Elijah Baley » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:18 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:10 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:04 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:30 pm

Criminal law is a thing?
Ok, I'll bite. What is confusing about the concept of criminal law? You've heard of police, prosecutors, judges, courtrooms, juries, jails, "You have the right to remain silent," heard of a show called "Law & Order," etc.?
I have, but I didn't know that it had a specific all-encompassing term.
Law isn't different from anything else is having various descriptions that more appropriately describe some part of it. As pointed out, law generally breaks down into civil law and criminal law and within civil, for example, there's corporate law, family law, employment law, environmental law, etc.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9187
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:53 pm

J! players will recognize Jordan Peele as he has done enough in his career to earn top box honors although $800 or $1200 is no valuing crime either.

Lula is a South American leader. Does it really matter which country's leader is used? The odds of non-name-recognizability are high.

You got the very gettable FJ! clue to close the week. That is what matters. Yay!

Faces or world leaders? Not your strength and not the easiest to improve on with so many leaders constantly changing and faces that are fair game in the thousands.

User avatar
Euphonium
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Euphonium » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:26 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:53 pm
J! players will recognize Jordan Peele as he has done enough in his career to earn top box honors although $800 or $1200 is no valuing crime either.

Lula is a South American leader. Does it really matter which country's leader is used? The odds of non-name-recognizability are high.
Brazil is huge (also Lula's been in the news very recently).
In any dispute between labor and management, the workers are always right.

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1056
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by trainman » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:31 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:25 pm
I was just at the grocery store and they didn't have (Caesar salads).
They might still be off the shelves due to the massive romaine recall. When they're back, they might look something like this...

Image

...or this...

Image

And I really like Caesar salad dressing, even on non-Caesar salads. This is the good stuff...

Image

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9187
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:43 pm

Paisley Park = Prince is a connection that is trivia level 1.

Suits, The Rookie etc. are not for you as there are [now is the time to insert an exaggerated adjective] TV shows to track now. They have not been around all that long and are not top shows. Suits is still top box because the Markle connection was everywhere this year.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6407
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:57 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:43 pm
Paisley Park = Prince is a connection that is trivia level 1.
Maybe 2. But they had the Symbol clear as day in the clue and that's easily level 1.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9187
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:19 pm

I'll give you that one as it's been more than six months since the most recent clue:
#7773, aired 2018-05-30 VISITORS FROM SPACE $1600: An alien mother ship hovers over Devils Tower at the end of this classic film

and six years since you posted about NHO of it.

J! likes both the geography & movie angle of the place (as today proved) and it will come up again.

When a clue points to a 1977 movie the top 3 for J! purposes are: CE3K, Star Wars & Annie Hall. The next level is Saturday Night Fever.

For the bottle sizes J! uses some of the ones here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_bottle

Some clue history is here:
SpoilerShow
#6907, aired 2014-09-30 LAYING THINGS M TO M $400: A 1.6-quart wine bottle
#6667, aired 2013-09-17 POTENT POTABLES $800: (Kathie Lee and Hoda give the clue.) A magnum of wine equals 2 standard bottles of wine; yes but you can really have a party with the size named for this Babylonian king--by the way, it's the equivalent of 20 standard bottles
#5451, aired 2008-04-28 WEIGHTS & MEASURES $800: One magnum of champagne equals this many standard bottles
#5095, aired 2006-11-03 COMMON BONDS $600: Nebuchadnezzar, Methuselah, Magnum
#4471, aired 2004-02-02 EQUIVALENTS $600: 2 bottles of champagne equals 1 _____
#4358, aired 2003-07-09 "M"MMMMM GOOD! $600: A powerful handgun, or a large bottle of champagne
#3947, aired 2001-10-30 MEASURE FOR MEASURE $200: 1 magnum of champagne equals this many standard bottles
#3432, aired 1999-07-06 SIZE MATTERS $200: A 1.5-liter champagne bottle, or sometimes a .357 round of ammunition
#3139, aired 1998-04-02 ..."UM" $200: As any "P.I." could tell you, it holds twice as much as the usual wine bottle
#1175, aired 1989-10-13 WEIGHTS & MEASURES $600: Names of various champagne bottles larger than a magnum are taken from this book
J! likes them and it comes up every so often.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7460
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:34 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:19 pm
When a clue points to a 1977 movie the top 3 for J! purposes are: CE3K, Star Wars & Annie Hall. The next level is Saturday Night Fever
I would say Fever is way higher on that list. Annie Hall has only about 25 hits, including one just last year that was a stand and stare. I know nothing at all about either that or CE3K other than that they exist, whereas SNF I could tell you a lot more about in comparison.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6550
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:55 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:19 pm
When a clue points to a 1977 movie the top 3 for J! purposes are: CE3K, Star Wars & Annie Hall. The next level is Saturday Night Fever.
And just below that, of course, you have Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger, Rollercoaster, Viva Knievel!, and The Deep.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1776
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:47 am

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:19 pm
I'll give you that one as it's been more than six months since the most recent clue:
#7773, aired 2018-05-30 VISITORS FROM SPACE $1600: An alien mother ship hovers over Devils Tower at the end of this classic film

and six years since you posted about NHO of it.

J! likes both the geography & movie angle of the place (as today proved) and it will come up again.

When a clue points to a 1977 movie the top 3 for J! purposes are: CE3K, Star Wars & Annie Hall. The next level is Saturday Night Fever.

For the bottle sizes J! uses some of the ones here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_bottle

Some clue history is here:
SpoilerShow
#6907, aired 2014-09-30 LAYING THINGS M TO M $400: A 1.6-quart wine bottle
#6667, aired 2013-09-17 POTENT POTABLES $800: (Kathie Lee and Hoda give the clue.) A magnum of wine equals 2 standard bottles of wine; yes but you can really have a party with the size named for this Babylonian king--by the way, it's the equivalent of 20 standard bottles
#5451, aired 2008-04-28 WEIGHTS & MEASURES $800: One magnum of champagne equals this many standard bottles
#5095, aired 2006-11-03 COMMON BONDS $600: Nebuchadnezzar, Methuselah, Magnum
#4471, aired 2004-02-02 EQUIVALENTS $600: 2 bottles of champagne equals 1 _____
#4358, aired 2003-07-09 "M"MMMMM GOOD! $600: A powerful handgun, or a large bottle of champagne
#3947, aired 2001-10-30 MEASURE FOR MEASURE $200: 1 magnum of champagne equals this many standard bottles
#3432, aired 1999-07-06 SIZE MATTERS $200: A 1.5-liter champagne bottle, or sometimes a .357 round of ammunition
#3139, aired 1998-04-02 ..."UM" $200: As any "P.I." could tell you, it holds twice as much as the usual wine bottle
#1175, aired 1989-10-13 WEIGHTS & MEASURES $600: Names of various champagne bottles larger than a magnum are taken from this book
J! likes them and it comes up every so often.
no love for smoke and the bandit or the hills have eyes?

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Elijah Baley » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:08 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:28 pm

There was a SOUTH Vietnam?! That whole category was miles over my head.
Here's an idea: Find a VA Hospital near you, do some volunteer work, and talk to some folks there.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7460
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Elijah Baley wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:08 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:28 pm

There was a SOUTH Vietnam?! That whole category was miles over my head.
Here's an idea: Find a VA Hospital near you, do some volunteer work, and talk to some folks there.
Again implying that anything is near me.

Seriously though. I have had this discussion. Why should I learn anything that has no impact on me whatsoever? No one in the past four generations of my family has been in the service or fought in a war, so what use is that knowledge to me? No one believes in Greek gods anymore, so what use is that knowledge to me? I hate peanut butter, raisins, and celery, so what use is it to me to know what "ants on a log" are? I'm never gonna be a mechanic nor do I know anyone who is, so what use is it to me to know what a carburetor is?

What's the use of any knowledge? It's not like I'm ever gonna apply any of this crap.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Euphonium
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Euphonium » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:50 pm

God forbid you might learn something just for the sake of learning...

Also if you went to school in the United States at any point in the last half-century, it seems difficult if not impossible that South Vietnam would not have come up at some point.
In any dispute between labor and management, the workers are always right.

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Elijah Baley » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:24 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:36 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:08 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:28 pm

There was a SOUTH Vietnam?! That whole category was miles over my head.
Here's an idea: Find a VA Hospital near you, do some volunteer work, and talk to some folks there.
Again implying that anything is near me.

Seriously though. I have had this discussion. Why should I learn anything that has no impact on me whatsoever? No one in the past four generations of my family has been in the service or fought in a war, so what use is that knowledge to me? No one believes in Greek gods anymore, so what use is that knowledge to me? I hate peanut butter, raisins, and celery, so what use is it to me to know what "ants on a log" are? I'm never gonna be a mechanic nor do I know anyone who is, so what use is it to me to know what a carburetor is?

What's the use of any knowledge? It's not like I'm ever gonna apply any of this crap.
The fact that all of us no longer live in caves living off of what can be caught with bare hands is a testament that knowledge can be applied in remarkable ways. That you choose not to apply any of it - beyond what it takes you to get through a work day - is your choice. Maybe for 2019 you can stop being upset (at yourself?) over the fact that others choose to live a little more fully. Just a thought.

User avatar
JayK33
Just a Fan
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: Canada

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by JayK33 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:38 pm

If it's any consolation, you probably have a better overall record with J! than I do.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6443
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:38 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Seriously though. I have had this discussion. Why should I learn anything that has no impact on me whatsoever? No one in the past four generations of my family has been in the service or fought in a war, so what use is that knowledge to me? No one believes in Greek gods anymore, so what use is that knowledge to me? I hate peanut butter, raisins, and celery, so what use is it to me to know what "ants on a log" are? I'm never gonna be a mechanic nor do I know anyone who is, so what use is it to me to know what a carburetor is?

What's the use of any knowledge? It's not like I'm ever gonna apply any of this crap.
All true, and that's your choice, and I don't think anyone has a problem with it if that's what you want to do. But then you complain about not knowing something. And that, sir, is where you rub people the wrong way (me included). If you don't want to know, fine, but don't complain that you don't know it.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7460
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:08 pm

I think what drives me away from learning is the fact that any time I express knowledge of anything, the response is either indifference, "who cares?", or "yeah, everyone else learned that in kindergarten". And it just leaves me feeling dejected and unwilling to keep going. Disillusioned and feeling like I have no use for any information, nor any ability to even learn it in the first place.

How can I get that back? If I fully didn't want to learn I'm sure I would have given up on even asking years ago.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Elijah Baley » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:12 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:08 pm
I think what drives me away from learning is the fact that any time I express knowledge of anything, the response is either indifference, "who cares?", or "yeah, everyone else learned that in kindergarten". And it just leaves me feeling dejected and unwilling to keep going. Disillusioned and feeling like I have no use for any information, nor any ability to even learn it in the first place.

How can I get that back? If I fully didn't want to learn I'm sure I would have given up on even asking years ago.
Start by stop living your life for other people.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7460
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:50 pm

Okay, so why should I learn? Nothing has given me a reason to.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Euphonium
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Euphonium » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:46 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:50 pm
Okay, so why should I learn? Nothing has given me a reason to.
Because it's fucking fun and makes life more enjoyable and interesting.
In any dispute between labor and management, the workers are always right.

Post Reply