The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7460
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:53 pm

Euphonium wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:46 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:50 pm
Okay, so why should I learn? Nothing has given me a reason to.
Because it's fucking fun and makes life more enjoyable and interesting.
Citation needed.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7460
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:29 pm

Learning has never, ever, EVER been fun for me, nor have I ever felt better for having learned something. What kind of psycho would think that it's fun to know all the planets and their moons?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9187
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:48 pm

Categories matter: Tommy Boy does not fit STUCK ON EWE while the correct response does match. No negbait.

Things like newsjack and Mueller are not for you. Don't sweat it.

50% is better than 0% for the FJ! clue. As always guesses are allowed.

User avatar
JayK33
Just a Fan
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: Canada

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by JayK33 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:38 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:29 pm
Learning has never, ever, EVER been fun for me, nor have I ever felt better for having learned something. What kind of psycho would think that it's fun to know all the planets and their moons?
Why does this thread exist then?

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7460
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:50 pm

JayK33 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:38 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:29 pm
Learning has never, ever, EVER been fun for me, nor have I ever felt better for having learned something. What kind of psycho would think that it's fun to know all the planets and their moons?
Why does this thread exist then?
I've spent 158 pages now trying to figure out WHY I should learn.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1619
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:19 pm

JayK33 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:38 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:29 pm
Learning has never, ever, EVER been fun for me, nor have I ever felt better for having learned something. What kind of psycho would think that it's fun to know all the planets and their moons?
Why does this thread exist then?
To prevent the rest of the board from being polluted with this nonsense.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7460
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:34 pm

Okay, why should I learn the planets? It's not like I'll be on J!, take up astronomy, or be the first person on Mars.

How will learning anything ever be fun?

No one's ever, in this whole massive thread, ever given me a reason to retain ANY of this. What is the purpose of having utterly useless, never applicable in any situation material cluttering up your head?!
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4492
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:24 pm

Also, breathing. Ugh, such a waste of time, why should I bother?

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7460
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:29 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:24 pm
Also, breathing. Ugh, such a waste of time, why should I bother?
Far more mandatory than knowing what the moons of Jupiter are. Plenty of people go through their entire lives not knowing the latter. Plenty of people have no reason to know it.

I just can't figure out why I, or anyone else here, should know it.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6066
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:42 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:29 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:24 pm
Also, breathing. Ugh, such a waste of time, why should I bother?
Far more mandatory than knowing what the moons of Jupiter are. Plenty of people go through their entire lives not knowing the latter. Plenty of people have no reason to know it.

I just can't figure out why I, or anyone else here, should know it.
Are you familiar with the definition of "trivia"?

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7460
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:46 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:42 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:29 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:24 pm
Also, breathing. Ugh, such a waste of time, why should I bother?
Far more mandatory than knowing what the moons of Jupiter are. Plenty of people go through their entire lives not knowing the latter. Plenty of people have no reason to know it.

I just can't figure out why I, or anyone else here, should know it.
Are you familiar with the definition of "trivia"?

I was told that it's fun, enjoyable, and interesting, but in 158 pages I've seen zero proof
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6066
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:02 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:46 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:42 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:29 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:24 pm
Also, breathing. Ugh, such a waste of time, why should I bother?
Far more mandatory than knowing what the moons of Jupiter are. Plenty of people go through their entire lives not knowing the latter. Plenty of people have no reason to know it.

I just can't figure out why I, or anyone else here, should know it.
Are you familiar with the definition of "trivia"?

I was told that it's fun, enjoyable, and interesting, but in 158 pages I've seen zero proof
That has nothing to do with the definition of trivia.

My understanding is that you know a lot about shopping malls. I consider that trivia. The only difference is that you can be bothered to care about it. (I assume you enjoy learning more and more on the subject.)

No one's asking you to care about other trivia. But we're a little bewildered by your continued questioning of the fact that other people care enough about that other trivia that a TV show can be made from people writing clues involving it, and other people being generally capable of responding correctly to them.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7460
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:06 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:02 pm
That has nothing to do with the definition of trivia.

My understanding is that you know a lot about shopping malls. I consider that trivia. The only difference is that you can be bothered to care about it. (I assume you enjoy learning more and more on the subject.)

No one's asking you to care about other trivia. But we're a little bewildered by your continued questioning of the fact that other people care enough about that other trivia that a TV show can be made from people writing clues involving it, and other people being generally capable of responding correctly to them.
Then how do I make myself care? About anything? How do I know it'll make me a better person like you say it will?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by heppm01 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:59 pm

Euphonium wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:46 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:50 pm
Okay, so why should I learn? Nothing has given me a reason to.
Because it's fucking fun and makes life more enjoyable and interesting.
Plus you it gives you the ability to be a pedantic pr!ick at parties, spewing useless trivia at the drop of a hat.

(or is that just me?)

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:13 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Peter the accountant » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:25 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:06 pm
Then how do I make myself care? About anything? How do I know it'll make me a better person like you say it will?
Ultimately, learning is how humanity advances. Without learning from others, we'd still be living in caves catching food with our hands and occasionally poisoning ourselves by eating the wrong fruits and berries. Learning is how we control our environment around us to make things better or easier on ourselves.

In the somewhat shorter time frame of a human lifetime, learning is how we get ahead in life. If you learn almost nothing, you become dependent on others to provide your needs. If those ancient cave dwellers didn't learn how to identify plants that are safe to eat and those that will kill you, they didn't survive. When someone invented the spear, that made everyone better off. Those who could use a spear to catch food had more meat than they could eat and could trade that for the fruits and vegetables they didn't have time to look for. They had animal skins and fur to help them keep warm when it was cold and to cover their feet so they could run faster or longer.

In the modern world, those who don't know much don't earn much. If you don't finish high school, odds are you're going to live in poverty. Get a college education, and the odds are that you will have a much more comfortable life style and live a longer life.

Does knowing ancient mythology help you? It can if you learn the lessons it teaches about living together in an organized society. Understanding geography helps you learn about different cultures and teaches empathy for others. It helps you understand the motivations of other people and how and why those motivations differ from yours. Literature can also help you learn empathy, plus it can take you to places you might not be able to get to - places that you can't afford to travel to and places that exist only in imagination.

How does learning make you a better person? A person who learns finds out that their personal experiences are not the only experiences. They learn that the world is a much bigger place than the small bit that they have personally experienced. Learning teaches us about things that are outside of our own back yard. To me, the most important thing you get from education is the ability to understand other people and to put yourself in their place.
--Peter

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2398
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:06 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:50 pm

I've spent 158 pages now trying to figure out WHY I should learn.
Let me say this from the bottom of my heart, TPH: If the above really, truly is your attitude about life, then I'm baffled as to why you spend your time watching J! or visiting this board, which are ALL about learning.

Do YOU know why you watch the show and visit this board?

User avatar
triviawayne
On the Diving Board, Ready to Jump In
Posts: 1331
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by triviawayne » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:11 pm

John Boy wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:06 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:50 pm

I've spent 158 pages now trying to figure out WHY I should learn.
Let me say this from the bottom of my heart, TPH: If the above really, truly is your attitude about life, then I'm baffled as to why you spend your time watching J! or visiting this board, which are ALL about learning.

Do YOU know why you watch the show and visit this board?
I’m not sure why anyone bothers answering him at this point.

Either he isn’t really interested as he clearly states, or he is the biggest troll in Internet history and everyone here is a sucker.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7969
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:34 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:11 pm
I’m not sure why anyone bothers answering him at this point.
I've been asking that question for about 150 pages.

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1593
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Golf » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:42 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:34 pm
How will learning anything ever be fun?

No one's ever, in this whole massive thread, ever given me a reason to retain ANY of this. What is the purpose of having utterly useless, never applicable in any situation material cluttering up your head?!
I had two reasons to retain trivial bits.

1, I love to compete, when I started playing trivia games naturally I wanted to win. Doesn't everybody want to win? So the more I learned the more I won, no different than sports. No different than you practicing for WoF.

2, Money money money. After a while I figured out I could monetize this skill. Call me a trivia slut I suppose. But when you can take an avocation and totally change your way of life, it seems silly not to put some effort into it.

In short, it's fun to kick ass and make money doing so.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7460
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:59 pm

Golf wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:42 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:34 pm
How will learning anything ever be fun?

No one's ever, in this whole massive thread, ever given me a reason to retain ANY of this. What is the purpose of having utterly useless, never applicable in any situation material cluttering up your head?!
I had two reasons to retain trivial bits.

1, I love to compete, when I started playing trivia games naturally I wanted to win. Doesn't everybody want to win? So the more I learned the more I won, no different than sports. No different than you practicing for WoF.

2, Money money money. After a while I figured out I could monetize this skill. Call me a trivia slut I suppose. But when you can take an avocation and totally change your way of life, it seems silly not to put some effort into it.

In short, it's fun to kick ass and make money doing so.
Other than going on J!, how do you monetize this? o.o
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Post Reply