The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2126
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:00 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:37 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:34 pm
You just want to throw away the right answer because you "might" get it wrong? I swear, I just don't understand your mindset. In most trivia games, if I don't know the answer, I just throw something out there and hope it sticks. And if it doesn't, I learn something new.

Are you just scared of literally answering a question wrong in a meaningless situation that you won't even guess?
Yes. I am TERRIFIED of giving a wrong answer. And I don't feel bad for clamming a right answer, either.
did you old man beat you for not being perfect?

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7679
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:04 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:00 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:37 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:34 pm
You just want to throw away the right answer because you "might" get it wrong? I swear, I just don't understand your mindset. In most trivia games, if I don't know the answer, I just throw something out there and hope it sticks. And if it doesn't, I learn something new.

Are you just scared of literally answering a question wrong in a meaningless situation that you won't even guess?
Yes. I am TERRIFIED of giving a wrong answer. And I don't feel bad for clamming a right answer, either.
did you old man beat you for not being perfect?

My mom would berate me if I didn't get an A+, because she knew that I, having skipped three grades, could "do better". Than an A-freaking-minus. The way she screamed at me, you'd think I'd have done like Calvin once did and said that Chef Boyardee was the first President.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8100
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:10 pm

Wpwells wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:41 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:37 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:34 pm
You just want to throw away the right answer because you "might" get it wrong? I swear, I just don't understand your mindset. In most trivia games, if I don't know the answer, I just throw something out there and hope it sticks. And if it doesn't, I learn something new.

Are you just scared of literally answering a question wrong in a meaningless situation that you won't even guess?
Yes. I am TERRIFIED of giving a wrong answer. And I don't feel bad for clamming a right answer, either.
I think we’ve found the issue.
We've known that's the issue for 4+ years.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2126
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:41 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:04 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:00 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:37 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:34 pm
You just want to throw away the right answer because you "might" get it wrong? I swear, I just don't understand your mindset. In most trivia games, if I don't know the answer, I just throw something out there and hope it sticks. And if it doesn't, I learn something new.

Are you just scared of literally answering a question wrong in a meaningless situation that you won't even guess?
Yes. I am TERRIFIED of giving a wrong answer. And I don't feel bad for clamming a right answer, either.
did you old man beat you for not being perfect?

My mom would berate me if I didn't get an A+, because she knew that I, having skipped three grades, could "do better". Than an A-freaking-minus. The way she screamed at me, you'd think I'd have done like Calvin once did and said that Chef Boyardee was the first President.
should have told her to pizz off

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1372
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:24 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:26 am
twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:57 am
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:54 pm
hanzz wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:19 pm
You guys are still feeding this troll?
Over four years and counting with over 3300 posts. Hammer may not be J! champ material (although he passed the test this month), but he is our Wheel champ.
And,
1) this IS the TPH thread.
2) In my two years here on the board, I have read literally billions of posts, and I have never seen one by TPH that insulted a boardie or a contestant on the show. And he's received a lot of incoming fire, both mean spirited and in good humor.
3) Do you care to re-consider your post?
My post is fine by me. There was no intent to insult and I was only writing the truth. I respond in this thread usually to try direct traffic here and away from the daily thread. In no way do I consider Hammer a troll. He watches J! and his posts generate responses. He is not anonymous.
MB,
I make a sucky wingman, lol... I meant to backstop your pitch perfect counterpoint to hanzz. In the process I realized that despite millions of ad hominem attacks on him, TPH has never pulled a Donald Trump. I likewise endeavor not to ever flame anybody, and felt half sad about trying to shame hanzz. I was lazy about the quoting. Thank you for your great demeanor.
tfb
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2126
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:58 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:39 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:56 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:23 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:03 pm
Geez man. Literally the only queen you can name is the right answer, but you won't even consider it because it COULD be wrong?
There have been lots of NHOIs in the $200 box. With literally nothing pointing to the one queen I can name, I figured it had to be someone I couldn't name. Because if it were QEII they'd be a LOT more blatant.
You can name one queen. Guess that one queen. That give you a 1/13 shot at getting the answer right vs. the 0% shot if you just clam up.



1/13 is 7%. That's so close to 0 that it might as well be 0.

another quiz for you to help you reinforce corgis and queenie

https://www.jetpunk.com/quizzes/the-bri ... dern-times

User avatar
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Wheatley » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:28 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:04 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:00 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:37 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:34 pm
You just want to throw away the right answer because you "might" get it wrong? I swear, I just don't understand your mindset. In most trivia games, if I don't know the answer, I just throw something out there and hope it sticks. And if it doesn't, I learn something new.

Are you just scared of literally answering a question wrong in a meaningless situation that you won't even guess?
Yes. I am TERRIFIED of giving a wrong answer. And I don't feel bad for clamming a right answer, either.
did you old man beat you for not being perfect?

My mom would berate me if I didn't get an A+, because she knew that I, having skipped three grades, could "do better". Than an A-freaking-minus. The way she screamed at me, you'd think I'd have done like Calvin once did and said that Chef Boyardee was the first President.
There you go then, that would explain exactly why you feel so hesitant to take a guess on a low-stakes ingame and zero stakes for you question. I am very sorry that you had to go through that, since it clearly had bad effects on your confidence, but hopefully, being able to vocalize will be a first step to improving your game, as well as not blaming the question when you can't get a top-row one.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9586
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed May 01, 2019 7:53 pm

#7857, aired 2018-11-06 WOMEN'S FIRSTS $2000: Vigdis Finnbogadottir of this nation, the world's 1st elected female president, served from 1980 to 1996
#6835, aired 2014-05-09 FEMALE WORLD LEADERS $800: Vigdis Finnbogadottir was president of this country for almost the entire 1980s
#6631, aired 2013-06-17 FEMALE WORLD LEADERS $400: PM Johanna Sigurdardottir of this Atlantic island country is the world's first openly gay head of govt.
#6081, aired 2011-02-07 WOMEN IN CHARGE $400: Vigdis Finnbogadottir led a theatre co. for many years before becoming this country's president in 1980
#5155, aired 2007-01-26 SHE USED TO BE IN CHARGE $1600: President Vigdis Finnbogadottir
#3070, aired 1997-12-26 WOMEN OF THE WORLD $600: Iceland's first female president, Vigdis Finnbogadottir, was born in this capital city in 1930
#1907, aired 1992-12-15 WORLD LEADERS $200: In 1980 Reykjavik Theater director VIgdis Finnbogadottir became this country's first woman president

The clue also said "island nation" and with the category already proving "European" there were multiple paths to get the country. J! players tend to do those things.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9586
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed May 01, 2019 7:54 pm

And for Prince: "Let's Go Crazy" is known to everyone.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7679
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed May 01, 2019 10:20 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:53 pm
The clue also said "island nation" and with the category already proving "European" there were multiple paths to get the country. J! players tend to do those things.
Yes and most of those are bottom row clues. And I'm pretty sure Iceland is not the only island in all of Europe.
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:54 pm
And for Prince: "Let's Go Crazy" is known to everyone.
Never heard of it. It's not one billionth as popular as, day, "Purple Rain" which I bet is the only Prince song most people know.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2126
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Wed May 01, 2019 10:22 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:20 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:53 pm
The clue also said "island nation" and with the category already proving "European" there were multiple paths to get the country. J! players tend to do those things.
Yes and most of those are bottom row clues. And I'm pretty sure Iceland is not the only island in all of Europe.
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:54 pm
And for Prince: "Let's Go Crazy" is known to everyone.
Never heard of it. It's not one billionth as popular as, day, "Purple Rain" which I bet is the only Prince song most people know.
actually...let's go crazy went to number 1...purple rain only to number 2

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1675
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by teapot37 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:40 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:20 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:54 pm
And for Prince: "Let's Go Crazy" is known to everyone.
Never heard of it. It's not one billionth as popular as, day, "Purple Rain" which I bet is the only Prince song most people know.
Of all the howlers you've posted over the years, this is easily the most laughable. Prince is one of the most popular musicians of all time. I count 18 top-10 hits (five #1s).

Little Red Corvette
Delirious
WHEN DOVES CRY
LET'S GO CRAZY
Purple Rain
I Would Die 4 U
Raspberry Beret
Pop Life
KISS
Sign o' the Times
U Got the Look
Alphabet St
BATDANCE
Thieves in the Temple
CREAM
Diamonds and Pearls
7
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2337
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:04 pm

teapot37 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:40 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:20 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:54 pm
And for Prince: "Let's Go Crazy" is known to everyone.
Never heard of it. It's not one billionth as popular as, day, "Purple Rain" which I bet is the only Prince song most people know.
Of all the howlers you've posted over the years, this is easily the most laughable. Prince is one of the most popular musicians of all time. I count 18 top-10 hits (five #1s).

Little Red Corvette
Delirious
WHEN DOVES CRY
LET'S GO CRAZY
Purple Rain
I Would Die 4 U
Raspberry Beret
Pop Life
KISS
Sign o' the Times
U Got the Look
Alphabet St
BATDANCE
Thieves in the Temple
CREAM
Diamonds and Pearls
7
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
And "1999," which bizarrely only peaked at no. 12 in the U.S., is probably as well-known as any of his other songs.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4586
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu May 02, 2019 12:37 am

And I doubt either of those have ever come up on J! before. Or are known by anyone who isn't Icelandic.
We didn't need to identify the actual PM. As Kara said, it is a very well-known fact that Icelandic surnames are patronymic, i.e. men have a -son surname like Jonsson (Jon's son) and women have -dottir.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7679
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu May 02, 2019 1:27 am

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:37 am
We didn't need to identify the actual PM. As Kara said, it is a very well-known fact that Icelandic surnames are patronymic
Citation very highly needed. I didn't even know there were enough people in Iceland for there to even be naming conventions there.
teapot37 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:40 pm
Of all the howlers you've posted over the years, this is easily the most laughable. Prince is one of the most popular musicians of all time. I count 18 top-10 hits (five #1s).

Little Red Corvette
Delirious
WHEN DOVES CRY
LET'S GO CRAZY
Purple Rain
I Would Die 4 U
Raspberry Beret
Pop Life
KISS
Sign o' the Times
U Got the Look
Alphabet St
BATDANCE
Thieves in the Temple
CREAM
Diamonds and Pearls
7
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
My experience has been that almost nobody can name any of these except "When Doves Cry" and "Purple Rain". The only reason I know "Raspberry Beret" is because it was a puzzle on Wheel (twice!) and it sometimes plays on the piped-in music at my job. #1 hits aren't always a benchmark -- does anyone know about "Ben", "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough", or "Rock with You" by Michael Jackson? No, because the whole world pretends that "Billie Jean" was his first single.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6242
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Thu May 02, 2019 2:13 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:27 am
does anyone know about "Ben", "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough", or "Rock with You" by Michael Jackson?
yes


edit: left a closing bracket in
Last edited by seaborgium on Thu May 02, 2019 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JayK33
Just a Fan
Posts: 746
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: Canada

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by JayK33 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:21 am

Was that a serious question? I'm younger than you, TPH, and I know all three. I could even name certain facts about each.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2126
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Thu May 02, 2019 3:03 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:27 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:37 am
We didn't need to identify the actual PM. As Kara said, it is a very well-known fact that Icelandic surnames are patronymic
Citation very highly needed. I didn't even know there were enough people in Iceland for there to even be naming conventions there.
teapot37 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:40 pm
Of all the howlers you've posted over the years, this is easily the most laughable. Prince is one of the most popular musicians of all time. I count 18 top-10 hits (five #1s).

Little Red Corvette
Delirious
WHEN DOVES CRY
LET'S GO CRAZY
Purple Rain
I Would Die 4 U
Raspberry Beret
Pop Life
KISS
Sign o' the Times
U Got the Look
Alphabet St
BATDANCE
Thieves in the Temple
CREAM
Diamonds and Pearls
7
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
My experience has been that almost nobody can name any of these except "When Doves Cry" and "Purple Rain". The only reason I know "Raspberry Beret" is because it was a puzzle on Wheel (twice!) and it sometimes plays on the piped-in music at my job. #1 hits aren't always a benchmark -- does anyone know about "Ben", "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough", or "Rock with You" by Michael Jackson? No, because the whole world pretends that "Billie Jean" was his first single.
what about 1999? it was the anthem for the year 1999 and the song was released over a decade before

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2126
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Thu May 02, 2019 3:05 am

still kind of funny that hammer dude gripes about well known prince songs but he will put songs most people have never heard of in the top 10 for most artists he ranks on his twitter page

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4586
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu May 02, 2019 9:41 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:27 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:37 am
We didn't need to identify the actual PM. As Kara said, it is a very well-known fact that Icelandic surnames are patronymic
Citation very highly needed. I didn't even know there were enough people in Iceland for there to even be naming conventions there.
What do you want us to do? Take a poll? [I'll leave that to Mark Barrett's discretion!] Trust me, this is well-known or at least well-known among people who aim to be on Jeopardy!
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Thu May 02, 2019 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply