The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by cthulhu »

MitchO wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:51 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:44 pm
Winwood's association with Clapton is starting to ring a bell with me now. My stepdad likes Eric Clapton so he has mentioned Winwood's name to me several times. Still couldn't name any Winwood songs off the top of my head, but I at least remember who he is now.
Steve Winwood is kind of an odd rock and roll famous to me. He was in a bunch of different supergroups, but it never seems like he's the focus; he was supposed to be a big name by the 80s and actually had several albums, but mostly middle of the road hits [Though I will admit both Roll With It and Higher Love were #1s ... the other songs that may ring a bell, IMO, are Valerie or Back In the High Life Again]. It just always feels to me that his name is given more cache than I think it should.
I don’t think Traffic counts as a supergroup except in retrospect; that said, it was one of the best bands of the late-60s / early-70s era, and their stuff still holds up well today. But in the ‘80s, Winwood was indeed a big solo act - selling out arenas across the US and topping the charts. He does seem to fly a bit under the radar over the last 25 years though. Clapton got him going again at Clapton’s 2007 Crossroads music festival, where the two of them played several songs together with Winwood mostly on keyboards, then EC left the stage, Winwood picked up his surf-green Strat, and proceeded to bring the house down with his spectacular lead guitar on the Traffic classic Dear Mr Fantasy; it seems that most of the audience didn’t realize Winwood could play guitar like that 8-) The next year, Clapton and Winwood did a tour, and released a live album and DVD of the Madison Square Garden shows. So TPH, check out the Clapton/Winwood Live from MSG stuff: it’s mostly on YouTube.