The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by cthulhu »

MitchO wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:51 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:44 pm
Winwood's association with Clapton is starting to ring a bell with me now. My stepdad likes Eric Clapton so he has mentioned Winwood's name to me several times. Still couldn't name any Winwood songs off the top of my head, but I at least remember who he is now.
Steve Winwood is kind of an odd rock and roll famous to me. He was in a bunch of different supergroups, but it never seems like he's the focus; he was supposed to be a big name by the 80s and actually had several albums, but mostly middle of the road hits [Though I will admit both Roll With It and Higher Love were #1s ... the other songs that may ring a bell, IMO, are Valerie or Back In the High Life Again]. It just always feels to me that his name is given more cache than I think it should.
I don’t think Traffic counts as a supergroup except in retrospect; that said, it was one of the best bands of the late-60s / early-70s era, and their stuff still holds up well today. But in the ‘80s, Winwood was indeed a big solo act - selling out arenas across the US and topping the charts. He does seem to fly a bit under the radar over the last 25 years though. Clapton got him going again at Clapton’s 2007 Crossroads music festival, where the two of them played several songs together with Winwood mostly on keyboards, then EC left the stage, Winwood picked up his surf-green Strat, and proceeded to bring the house down with his spectacular lead guitar on the Traffic classic Dear Mr Fantasy; it seems that most of the audience didn’t realize Winwood could play guitar like that 8-) The next year, Clapton and Winwood did a tour, and released a live album and DVD of the Madison Square Garden shows. So TPH, check out the Clapton/Winwood Live from MSG stuff: it’s mostly on YouTube.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Set up a poll for the 3 THINGS ABOUT THE PRESIDENT clues to see how right are wrong you are about "extremely obscure". It will help you learn the (not uncommon at all) facts and it will check the valuations by the writers.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

10 guesses and still not get the Bradbury planet? :lol:

Nice job on the trash pick up for decent value from the 4th podium.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:39 pm
10 guesses and still not get the Bradbury planet? :lol:
"Martian Chronicles" rings a faint bell, but just seeing "Chronicles" by itself threw me for a loop and had me wondering if maybe there was some other work I'd never heard of that was set on a fictional planet. I almost WAGged "Forbidden Planet".

if i lived in a market where Wheel airs first, then I probably would have gotten Fj! They gave away a trip to St. Maarten and in doing so, showed a map of the entire Caribbean.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I ran the category but I would have put Coolidge at the bottom.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It has been a while for a Christian Science Monitor to Boston match:

#8255, aired 2020-10-09 CHURCHES & CATHEDRALS $400: The mother church for Christian Science is located in this city next to the Mary Baker Eddy Library
#5475, aired 2008-05-30 PAPERS $1000: This city's newspapers include The Globe & The Christian Science Monitor
#4732, aired 2005-03-15 THE NEWSPAPER $1000: At the request of its founder, this Boston paper runs 1 religious article each day in its home forum section
#3599, aired 2000-04-06 NEWSPAPERS $400: This Boston-based newspaper was founded by a religious group in 1908
#3401, aired 1999-05-24 RELIGION $200: Founded in Boston in 1879, this church maintains "reading rooms" across the country open to the public
#3342, aired 1999-03-02 STATE CAPITALS $500: Its newspapers include the Globe, the Herald & the Christian Science Monitor
#2901, aired 1997-03-24 RELIGION $3,000 (Daily Double): This religious group held its 100th annual meeting in Boston in 1995
#1597, aired 1991-07-09 THE WORLD PRESS $400: Founded in Boston in 1908, it's one of the few daily papers sponsored by a religious denomination
#13, aired 1990-09-08 NEWSPAPERS $1000: This Boston-based newspaper is circulated in more than 100 countries
#1196, aired 1989-11-13 NEWSPAPERS $800: Boston has 3 daily newspapers: the Globe, the Herald, & this one with a national circulation

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So is there a way I can train my brain to remember just how close the Caribbean actually is to the US? I always picture it as several thousands of miles out, like Hawaii.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:02 pm
So is there a way I can train my brain to remember just how close the Caribbean actually is to the US? I always picture it as several thousands of miles out, like Hawaii.
I'm not sure what needs training. It borders the Gulf of Mexico. There you go.