Tuesday, November 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by hbomb1947 »

Volante wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
El Jefe wrote: I also enjoyed Eugene's amused reaction to Alex' corrections. That smile said 'yeah, ok, whatever.' To be fair, does anyone really ever say/hear EAU pronounced anymore? I mean you read 'eau de toilette/cologne/parfum' and along with stuff like ADE they're crossword staples, but not exactly that useful otherwise.
People say words like beau, chateau, and bureau all the time.
And cough, tough, bough, through and though...
Are any of the "-eau" words pronounced differently from any others?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Volante wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
El Jefe wrote: I also enjoyed Eugene's amused reaction to Alex' corrections. That smile said 'yeah, ok, whatever.' To be fair, does anyone really ever say/hear EAU pronounced anymore? I mean you read 'eau de toilette/cologne/parfum' and along with stuff like ADE they're crossword staples, but not exactly that useful otherwise.
And cough, tough, bough, through and though...
Are any of the "-eau" words pronounced differently from any others?
If you don't know, you don't know. I wouldn't make that assumption for English; if I didn't take two years of French I probably wouldn't make the same assumption for that either.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
cosmos
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cosmos »

On 6/30/14 there was this category: "EAU", NOT SORRY

And Homer Simpson says d'eau a lot. :D
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

hbomb1947 wrote: Are any of the "-eau" words pronounced differently from any others?
Neau.
HeathenBenny
Working On The Age Requirement

Post by HeathenBenny »

El Jefe wrote:I'm guessing if it were Sendak's gayness or godlessness, no one here would cop to it (I could be wrong). So probably the leading objectionable detail (which may be still grasping at straws or have the previous 2 rolled into it) is that he wrote (and illustrated!) the book "In the Night Kitchen" with a young boy prancing around the house au naturel. I mean, as adults we all know that almost never happens and when it does it should be shamed, right? Anyway, it's ALA's #21/100 most frequently challenged/banned books of the 90s. So probably the newsmax/Drudge teasers would be something like "Noted Gay Heathen Wants to Recruit Your Children with Dirty Pictures" or how about "How Commie Librarians Support Fifth-Column Recruitment Author, Destroy America"
None of those sound horribly objectionable, at least not to the level I was expecting. Although certain people could put the three together, I assume.

I'll tell you right now, because I have no fear of anonymous message board participants: I'm gay. I'm alright with it. Just want to be clear about that, because if this or any other discussion gets there, I want everyone to know where I stand.
Aspiring sportscaster. If you like sports, you might like my twitter: www.twitter.com/bennybxb
"I don’t spend any time whatsoever thinking about what might have been." ~Alex Trebek
El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by El Jefe »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
El Jefe wrote:I'm guessing if it were Sendak's gayness or godlessness, no one here would cop to it (I could be wrong).
I would, however, expect someone who explicitly states their dislike for someone else would be willing to explain their rationale for it.

Too right! Classic passive-aggressive/cowardice to stick and run. I guess we'll see...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Linear Gnome wrote: I had a Polish office mate once who taught me about Polish spelling and pronunciation, and I can still spell Rzepczynski and Krzyzewski without looking them up.
Reminds me of one of my favourite Polish jokes: Polish man goes to the eye doctor and the doctor tells him to read the bottom line of the eye chart. The man replies "Read it? That's my uncle!"

(My other favourite is: "What does a Polish man give to his wife on their wedding night that's long and hard? His name.")
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS

Post by seaborgium »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Don't forget "beauty"!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hbomb1947 wrote:
We have a road in town called Eau Gallie.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

JeopRDFan wrote:...I'd never heard of raincheck used in baseball...
Here's a portion of the back of a preprinted Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim 2014 ticket. Note the bolded phrase. (I think the print-at-home versions have similar language in their fine print.)

Many older tickets made the "rain check" function more obvious, putting it in larger print on the front of the "stub" portion of the ticket.

karoliner
Valued Contributor

Post by karoliner »

opusthepenguin wrote:I thought the $200 Opera clue was ridiculous as well. Is it really commonly known that Lenora hides poison in her ring in Il Trovatore? Other than that "easiest" clue, I ran the category.
I was puzzled as well. My instant guess would have been a locket on her necklace. Had to take a second or two to remember it was her ring.