SHC Round 7 Instant Replay [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

SHC Round 7 Instant Replay [SPOILERS]

Post by DadofTwins »

Here you go.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: SHC Round 7 Instant Replay [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

Yuck
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

econgator wrote:Yuck
+1. First cat shut out of the tour for me.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

If "Aaron" is wrong for 3 pter, I was shut out too.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:If "Aaron" is wrong for 3 pter, I was shut out too.
You were not shut out.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

I'm just plain old skipping day one. Those sheep puns were just turrible.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Didn't week seven use to be the start of the tournament of champions? Perhaps my ma-a-amory is faulty.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

cinemaniax7 wrote:Didn't week seven use to be the start of the tournament of champions? Perhaps my ma-a-amory is faulty.
Not always. 2009 had seven regular rounds, because the hiatus went a week longer. Very generous of DoT, though not as generous as he is being now, keeping it up around the medical issues.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

In all respect to cheezguyty, I don't think "random access memory" should be accepted.

And even though I said it, I'm guessing "half-wool" is no good on the linsey-woolsey clue. (First time I've heard of the stuff.)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

seaborgium wrote:In all respect to cheezguyty, I don't think "random access memory" should be accepted.
It works as a pun, you just have to process it more.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Vanya wrote:
seaborgium wrote:In all respect to cheezguyty, I don't think "random access memory" should be accepted.
It works as a pun, you just have to process it more.
It's a bit (or a byte) too far removed from the pun.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

For the moment, I'm counting that as wrong.
And even though I said it, I'm guessing "half-wool" is no good on the linsey-woolsey clue. (First time I've heard of the stuff.)
"Half-wool" is the expected answer.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

For the 6 pointer in "Torah Torah Torah", I'm pretty sure it was the passage about Noah drinking, and the consequences thereof, but I wasn't sure was was specifically forbidden in the passage (was it wine (which I'm pretty sure was the actual drink consumed by Capt. Noah, growing a vineyard and all)? Was it "fermented spirits"? Was it just simply "alcohol"?) I tried to get my point across in my answer and prayed (no pun intended) that DoT's standing rule of "I want to give you points" will be applied here ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

dhkendall wrote:For the 6 pointer in "Torah Torah Torah", I'm pretty sure it was the passage about Noah drinking, and the consequences thereof, but I wasn't sure was was specifically forbidden in the passage (was it wine (which I'm pretty sure was the actual drink consumed by Capt. Noah, growing a vineyard and all)? Was it "fermented spirits"? Was it just simply "alcohol"?) I tried to get my point across in my answer and prayed (no pun intended) that DoT's standing rule of "I want to give you points" will be applied here ...
There's actually nothing in the Bible (as far as I can recall) that prohibits the drinking of wine. What the Bible warns against is drunkenness. The correct answer here is blood. The passage in question prohibits eating meat with blood still in it.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:For the 6 pointer in "Torah Torah Torah", I'm pretty sure it was the passage about Noah drinking, and the consequences thereof, but I wasn't sure was was specifically forbidden in the passage (was it wine (which I'm pretty sure was the actual drink consumed by Capt. Noah, growing a vineyard and all)? Was it "fermented spirits"? Was it just simply "alcohol"?) I tried to get my point across in my answer and prayed (no pun intended) that DoT's standing rule of "I want to give you points" will be applied here ...
There's actually nothing in the Bible (as far as I can recall) that prohibits the drinking of wine. What the Bible warns against is drunkenness. The correct answer here is blood. The passage in question prohibits eating meat with blood still in it.
But I love a nice rare steak. :cry:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
Yeah, was afraid of that. Was mainly an explanation for my "odd" answer, figured from the "Genesis 9" reference that it was about drunk Noah. :( (I knew there was nothing against wine, lots (no pun intended ;) ) of Bibilical characters have been mentioned as having drunk wine, but I figured, with my presuppositions as to what passage it was, that the commandment for Nazirites (what Samson was) to abstain from the grape was referred to
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: "Half-wool" is the expected answer.
Ha! Well in that case, I think "half-woolsey" should also be accepted.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

seaborgium wrote:
That sounds even less like "half-full" than "half-wool" does. But I won't argue because I did say "half-wool" too.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

thejeopardyfan wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
That sounds even less like "half-full" than "half-wool" does. But I won't argue because I did say "half-wool" too.
Frankly, I was completely perplexed by what the question was looking for. I knew that the fabric's name was woolsey-linsley, but the half-linsley comment left me wondering what was being looked for. In the end, I just said woolsey as that seemed to me to be a BAA-d pun. Oh, well...
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I lost out on the 50 50 90 guess between Moscow and St. Petersburg, but I still loved today's set of questions. Thanks for keeping the show going, DoT!