Monday, December 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Monday, December 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I said Aztecs for Mayans (I can never keep those straight)
The Aztecs called themselves the Mexica, which is where Mexico comes from. So, if it mentions anything other than Mexico, it wasn't the Aztecs.

The Mayan people were in Mexico, but more towards the Yucatan Peninsula.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Pretty cool when a kid knows proper strategy for DD's while most adults do not.

I do find it hilarious that a few adults (I'm assuming, know LFan isn't) are posting how many they got right for a kid's episode.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Upon seeing 1969 in the clue, I thought I might have a better chance than the kids. And I did get it. (Also briefly considered Mr. Met, but knew he was before '69. :D)

I can't brag too much how many I got right since I was stumped on perpendicular.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

I laughed myself silly at Cerulean's FJ! wager, for reasons that have already been explained.

But what a game! Clearly one of the best I've seen in a long time. The kid definitely took a risk when he needed to, and clearly knew his stuff.

FJ! took me a little bit, but I got it in a few seconds.
アタックチャンス!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

cosmos wrote:Upon seeing 1969 in the clue, I thought I might have a better chance than the kids. And I did get it. (Also briefly considered Mr. Met, but knew he was before '69. :D)

I can't brag too much how many I got right since I was stumped on perpendicular.
My first reaction was that Mr. Met is newer than that. I was surprised to learn that he goes back to 1963. Apparently, he wasn't used much between the mid 1970's and the mid 1990's, which may be what gave me the impression that he first appeared later.

After considering the Jolly Green Giant and deciding that he isn't a TV character, I did get Big Bird in time.

I also got Aztecs for Mayans.

I'm not sure what it says about me that I wonder if Cerulean is bullied in school. I hope this makes him a rock star.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote:Pretty cool when a kid knows proper strategy for DD's while most adults do not.

I do find it hilarious that a few adults (I'm assuming, know LFan isn't) are posting how many they got right for a kid's episode.
I see nothing wrong with posting how many clues we got right whether young or older. Yes, the adults here realize it's kids week and the numbers are inflated. It's just something we do. I don't take it as bragging that we're so much smarter than these kids.

51/57 with three stumpers in the SONGS ON THE RADIO. No matter how easy the math there is always a chance I won't get it. Especially when it's one of those decipher the definition while looking at a video thing. I could not process what was wanted for "I'll to I'm" clue and had a frustrating blank on spitting out the Wimpy Kid title.

In July 2013 for the previous Kids Week the combined Coryats were:

29800, 36200, 46200, 35800 and 32600 - so great job by Victoria, Will and Cerulean tonight with their 43400. For this week I do not envy the contestant coordinators trying to field kids who can play the game and make great TV. It must be a tough balancing act. Credit to Cerulean for clearly having both game and TV skills.

We do not have enough information to confidently guess the reason for Cerulean's $42 wager on the FJ! clue although I agree Hitchhiker seems the best bet with Jackie Robinson not as likely. Bill Clinton fan? Mariano Rivera fan?

At least Cerulean understood he had a lock and no time to do something crazy. Or TV CHARACTERS was not the category for him? There are school these days with parents and kids signing contracts not to watch TV that I heard one of the women on The View mention.

The category had me fearful of some recent Disney Channel/Nickelodeon/PBS program not on my radar. I was right about the PBS portion and fortunately the clue was friendly to adult viewers.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:I could not process what was wanted for "I'll to I'm" clue
I'd, not I'm.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I could not process what was wanted for "I'll to I'm" clue
I'd, not I'm.
Oh, right. Still couldn't get it straight. I was somehow trying to make "If" out of it.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

I Know its Kids Week but but im so happy i got the FJ Triple Stumper Clue.

30200(including the all in dd clue) - only the 2nd time this season i outscored all 3 stage players. Aced the Songs on the Radio Catagory.
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Golf wrote:Pretty cool when a kid knows proper strategy for DD's while most adults do not.

I see nothing wrong with posting how many clues we got right whether young or older. Yes, the adults here realize it's kids week and the numbers are inflated. It's just something we do. I don't take it as bragging that we're so much smarter than these kids.
I'll take your word for it, just struck me as odd.

AntmanB wrote:only the 2nd time this season i outscored all 3 stage players. Aced the Songs on the Radio Catagory.
Do you take this as bragging? :D
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm constantly amazed by what the kids do or do not know. I thought that FJ was going to go 3/3 and it ends up a triple stumper! I'm sure Sesame Street just isn't the cultural phenomenon for kids now like it was for those of us near my age.

Loved Cerulean's strained expression on the DD's! Great game!
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

I knew from the very start Cerulean would win. You know that Simpsons episode where Lisa goes to the spelling bee and the whole thing is rigged so that the cute kid wins? Obvs Cerulean won based on merit but he WAS that cute kid from the Simpsons.

I got FJ. Hooray.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

xxaaaxx wrote:Poor kids, I wonder if those two even smilled during that entire episode...

"Daily Double!"
cmon kid, bet it all!
"...true daily double"
oh s--- he actually went for it...

Nice game.

Instaget FJ (hope to say that 5 times this week), guess these kids didn't watch much Sesame Street :shock:
I didn't get it, because for some reason I thought the category was 'TV Advertising Characters', and I knew that my only guess for anything that tall, the Jolly Green Giant has been around somewhat longer than 1969.
But I've never known that Big Bird's exact height had ever been mentioned on Sesame Street or any related spin-off merchandise, or that they'd ever discussed measurements of any kind. Probably a recent addition to the show's history.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Cerulean... wow. Someone went to Roger Craig school.

My eventual goal is to get a 30/30 on a kids' week board. Still not even close, with 21 and 19. My hopes were dashed on the FIRST CLUE of DJ! when I couldn't get Greenland.

I thought Sri Lanka, Scout, and yahoo were particularly tough for kid's week.

Also didn't get FJ! I never left animation and put down Scooby-Doo just to say something. I have never seen a second of Sesame Street in my life, so it didn't even enter my radar.
:o
If it's because your mom taught you that Elmo is the bastard child of Satan...well...she's right. :D
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Onairb wrote: But I've never known that Big Bird's exact height had ever been mentioned on Sesame Street or any related spin-off merchandise, or that they'd ever discussed measurements of any kind. Probably a recent addition to the show's history.
Why does Big Bird's height have to be mentioned on the show for it to be a fact? Big Bird is 8'2" because of how tall he stands, not because a writer says so.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Robert K S wrote:I wonder if any of the kid contestants could have gotten that Final. For whose who know the show's history, 1969 was a bit of a giveaway, but Big Bird hasn't been the focus of Sesame Street since the "Snuffles is real" story arc of the '80s and Follow That Bird. Elmo took over the show rather quickly after his introduction. I do note that a feature documentary on the puppeteer is making the festival circuit. Still, I don't think Big Bird is as popular a children's character today as he was when the writers were growing up.
I agree. 'My era' or Sesame Street was the late '70s,(I admit to watching it off and on in the early '80s, although I stopped before Mr. Hooper died) and if any character(s)in those years stood apart from the rest, I might have said Bert and Ernie and Grover before Big Bird, as far as being featured on toys, books, etc. BB was just as much of a TV guest star in 'adult' programming in that era (along with Kermit and Miss Piggy), appearing on The Tonight Show , among others, so he was probably more the 'face' of Sesame Street to most people, until Elmo was belched forth upon an unsuspecting world.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote:
Onairb wrote: But I've never known that Big Bird's exact height had ever been mentioned on Sesame Street or any related spin-off merchandise, or that they'd ever discussed measurements of any kind. Probably a recent addition to the show's history.
Why does Big Bird's height have to be mentioned on the show for it to be a fact? Big Bird is 8'2" because of how tall he stands, not because a writer says so.
Yeah, I agree. He's a big bird, after all. That was the TOM, not his exact height. I doubt too many people were thinking "hmm, seems like Big Bird, but I think he's 8 foot 3." :)
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

seaborgium wrote:
Well, Oscar..uh, seaborgium :mrgreen: ...how else would anyone know the exact height of a character on a TV show, unless 'a (Sesame Street)writer said so' at some point? While there are times when I think Jeopardy!'s writers pull clues out of anatomical nether regions, this is one where they most likely consulted some outside source. I never said it wasn't a fact, just that I'm unaware of its source.
If Big Bird, or his friend, Mr. Spinney, told you personally that 8'2" has been cited anywhere prior to that clue, feel free to share.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Cerulean = LIKE A BOSS!!!

He also won the chat portion by a landslide-- 1) divulging his AT costume fandom 2) labeling AT mustache years 'classic' 3) referencing leg injury and cast after 4) hotel heroics. If these aspects didn't endear him to the populace of this board well then you sirs and madams are monsters!
Last edited by El Jefe on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

Onairb wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Well, Oscar..uh, seaborgium :mrgreen: ...how else would anyone know the exact height of a character on a TV show, unless 'a (Sesame Street)writer said so' at some point? While there are times when I think Jeopardy!'s writers pull clues out of anatomical nether regions, this is one where they most likely consulted some outside source. I never said it wasn't a fact, just that I'm unaware of its source.
If Big Bird, or his friend, Mr. Spinney, told you personally that 8'2" has been cited anywhere prior to that clue, feel free to share.
More likely a Sesame Street publicist than a writer - after consulting with the puppet design department, perhaps.
Barney wasn't a bad guess - not likely that 1969 would mean much to the kids. Whereas it helped make it obvious to an old guy like me...