Monday, December 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, December 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Winchell Factor »

Golf wrote:If I'm not mistaken, all expenses are paid for....
Interesting, since that's not how it works for regular-season play. Perhaps it's because grown-ups can check into the hotel by themselves, but seventh-graders have no choice but to bring at least one adult with them?
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

Winchell Factor wrote:
Golf wrote:If I'm not mistaken, all expenses are paid for....
Interesting, since that's not how it works for regular-season play. Perhaps it's because grown-ups can check into the hotel by themselves, but seventh-graders have no choice but to bring at least one adult with them?
As I remember it was all expenses paid for me and two others in the hotel. I would imagine that's the rationale behind it--book the trip for the kid so their parents don't have to.

Maybe that's the real reason the runner-up prizes are what they are...
アタックチャンス!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

floridagator wrote:FJ was a loss for me. I was thinking of the tall kid from "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids," created by therapist Bill Cosby.
I saw what you did there. ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

WooWho? wrote:
Golf wrote: If I'm not mistaken, all expenses are paid for and whatever money they are awarded for not winning is certainly a nice start for a college fund.
As a former Kids' Week contestant, I can vouch for the former (plus $600 for incidentals, as I recall). The latter...well, by the time I got to college, my $2,000 runner-up prize, minus taxes, paid for my books.

Though I will say this--although I agree with having runner-up prizes increased for kids, I think it might take away the incentive to play to win, even if the minimum is now $15,000 (up from $10,000 when I played).
I was on more recently (2011) and this was still the case. They also gave us $700 or so for meals and such.
I still have some of the $2000 I won even after buying two iPod touches.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Cerulean interviewed on NY Public Radio....

Post by davey »

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Also didn't get FJ! I never left animation and put down Scooby-Doo just to say something. I have never seen a second of Sesame Street in my life, so it didn't even enter my radar.
At least that's a better guess than Lurch, chronological wise.
dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I'm constantly amazed by what the kids do or do not know. I thought that FJ was going to go 3/3 and it ends up a triple stumper! I'm sure Sesame Street just isn't the cultural phenomenon for kids now like it was for those of us near my age.

Loved Cerulean's strained expression on the DD's! Great game!
Exactly! Sesame Street's Big Bird was a given, though I guess I am close to Kirk's age.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

dexterG wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:I'm constantly amazed by what the kids do or do not know. I thought that FJ was going to go 3/3 and it ends up a triple stumper! I'm sure Sesame Street just isn't the cultural phenomenon for kids now like it was for those of us near my age.

Loved Cerulean's strained expression on the DD's! Great game!
Exactly! Sesame Street's Big Bird was a given, though I guess I am close to Kirk's age.
It showed a generation gap for me. For an adult, confusing the premiere dates of Sesame Street and Barney and Friends would be like confusing the premiere dates of All in the Family and Seinfeld - they clearly belong to different generations of TV. But many shows for kids, unlike most shows for adults, stay on the air for years and years and years, and for a modern kid both are just shows that have been on forever (although apparently Barney is no longer making new episodes, but it still airs in reruns).
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:It showed a generation gap for me. For an adult, confusing the premiere dates of Sesame Street and Barney and Friends would be like confusing the premiere dates of All in the Family and Seinfeld - they clearly belong to different generations of TV. But many shows for kids, unlike most shows for adults, stay on the air for years and years and years, and for a modern kid both are just shows that have been on forever (although apparently Barney is no longer making new episodes, but it still airs in reruns).
This is actually a problem when kid shows acquire an adult audience. The network thinks,"We've made enough shows. Our original kid audience has grown out this demographic to something else. There are new kids who never saw the old shows and won't know the difference." I remember the complaints when Disney stopped making Kim Possible.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ I predict that there will be riots in the streets whenever My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is canceled.

But unlike most, it seems that the creators of that show actually embrace the fact that they have a huge adult demo.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

silverscreentest wrote:
This is actually a problem when kid shows acquire an adult audience. The network thinks,"We've made enough shows. Our original kid audience has grown out this demographic to something else. There are new kids who never saw the old shows and won't know the difference." I remember the complaints when Disney stopped making Kim Possible.
Mister Rogers retired in 2001, shortly after 9/11 IIRC, he died in early 2003. PBS continued to air reruns for several years after he died, but eventually it ended up on Saturday morning before the reruns were cancelled outright.