Monday, December 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Monday, December 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Peachbox » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:39 am

This is why I watch Kids' Week. We had three good contestants, including one who had a funny interview story, a gutsy DD bet, and of course the swell bow tie. :D

Way to go, Cerulean!

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:40 am

FJ was a loss for me. I was thinking of the tall kid from "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids," created by therapist Bill Cosby. I would have said Stringbean. But FA did not premiere until 1972, and the tall character was Weird Harold, who wasn't anywhere near 8'2".

I don't like hubris. Cerulean was cruising for a bruising.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:50 am

Next Halloween Cerulean can dress up like Roger Craig.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:52 am

Big Bird's wiki page gives his height as 8'2". I clicked on the source link and it took me to a book about the show that had Big Bird on the cover.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:42 am

harrumph wrote:Next Halloween Cerulean can dress up like Roger Craig.
I suspect Roger will be dressing up like Cerulean.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:08 am

Now if we could only get the back story on Cerulean's name ...

Yes, I missed this one. I was seesawing between animated characters and real ones, and never got to thinking about something in-between.

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:24 am

Children don't have the magnitude necessary for hubris, and certainly no 11-year-old is deserving of a tragic smackdown.

I wanted to hear how Cerulean was named, but then I thought the story would just leave me blue.

I can't believe I'm the first to mention that he escaped the fate of those who snark on Alex during the interview segment ("no one knew who I was"), but the gods probably spared him for the reason mentioned earlier.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:15 am

This Is Kirk! wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Onairb wrote: But I've never known that Big Bird's exact height had ever been mentioned on Sesame Street or any related spin-off merchandise, or that they'd ever discussed measurements of any kind. Probably a recent addition to the show's history.
Why does Big Bird's height have to be mentioned on the show for it to be a fact? Big Bird is 8'2" because of how tall he stands, not because a writer says so.
Yeah, I agree. He's a big bird, after all. That was the TOM, not his exact height. I doubt too many people were thinking "hmm, seems like Big Bird, but I think he's 8 foot 3." :)
Well, I didn't think he was that tall, but I said Big Bird anyway (based on 1969). I thought it was a difficult clue for kid's week.

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:33 am

Yeah, I got pretty quickly that "tall" + 1969 = Big Bird, but I am 50 years old, and I remember Sesame Street's first season. I really doubt those kids are also 50--though if they are, they look amazing--so I too thought it was an unreasonable FJ for them.

ShannaLaffs
Contributor

Post by ShannaLaffs » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:41 am

Winchell Factor wrote:I too thought it was an unreasonable FJ for them.
I think it is a little harsh to say that the clue was "unreasonable." Difficult, maybe. Big bird is still an iconic character and I think all those kids knew who he was. He probably just wasn't the first character to jump into their heads. Perhaps the year threw them off. They might not have realized that Sesame Street was that old.
This is what I do when I am not looking at law books.

alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:06 am

the only living entity i have ever known with the name "cerulean" was my pet cat in the late '70s. he was an all black domestic shorthair with the most amazing blue eyes.

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:29 am

ShannaLaffs wrote:
I think it is a little harsh to say that the clue was "unreasonable." Difficult, maybe. Big bird is still an iconic character and I think all those kids knew who he was. He probably just wasn't the first character to jump into their heads. Perhaps the year threw them off. They might not have realized that Sesame Street was that old.
No desire to spar over word choice. Here's why I am not a fan of that FJ. Watching people miss FJ is less entertaining than watching people get it right. I think the probability of middle schoolers getting that FJ right was pretty darn low.

Ryno

Post by Ryno » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:49 am

ShannaLaffs wrote:
I didn't watch this game, but I read the FJ clue on this discussion thread. The key for me to getting that one was the significance of the year 1969. It's the 45th anniversary of Sesame Street. So I'm not surprised that it was a triple stumper for Kids Week. This FJ would fit in just fine for a regular adult game, though the category heading may need to be phrased as such to lead the contestants to think in the direction of children's television.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool

Volante
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by Volante » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:30 pm

Winchell Factor wrote: No desire to spar over word choice. Here's why I am not a fan of that FJ. Watching people miss FJ is less entertaining than watching people get it right. I think the probability of middle schoolers getting that FJ right was pretty darn low.
Another strike for the chosen one!

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:11 pm

El Jefe wrote:He also won the chat portion by a landslide-- 1) divulging his AT costume fandom 2) labeling AT mustache years 'classic' 3) referencing leg injury and cast after 4) hotel heroics. If these aspects didn't endear him to the populace of this board well then you sirs and madams are monsters!
Agreed. He didn't leave much on the table there. I suppose he could have said, "And I also led around a musk ox because that's your favorite animal, Alex" or "Remember that time you drove a truck into a ditch?"

ShannaLaffs
Contributor

Post by ShannaLaffs » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:13 pm

Winchell Factor wrote:
ShannaLaffs wrote:
No desire to spar over word choice. Here's why I am not a fan of that FJ. Watching people miss FJ is less entertaining than watching people get it right. I think the probability of middle schoolers getting that FJ right was pretty darn low.
Interesting, because I tend to have the exact opposite view. In my mind, FJ should be the hardest question of the game, the one that gives the win to the best person. This doesn't always work out, but I prefer a FJ that the contestants have to work at even if that means a triple stumper. And this coming from a girl who missed her FJ question ;)
This is what I do when I am not looking at law books.

Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:09 pm

I have chosen to not play along for kids week.
However... FJ was an instaget for me. I watched Sesame Street in the 1970s & 1980s and the answer Big Bird just popped into my head from those years. No other answer came to me.
All three of those kids were fun to watch. The parents went on stage after the show. That was a nice gesture.
But the second and third place prizes are too small. TPTB need to address this. The money won could be a nice start for their college fund.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!

Golf

Post by Golf » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:45 pm

Silverfox wrote:But the second and third place prizes are too small. TPTB need to address this. The money won could be a nice start for their college fund.
Then perhaps second and third should not have finished second and third? If I'm not mistaken, all expenses are paid for and whatever money they are awarded for not winning is certainly a nice start for a college fund.

The incentive to win is something everybody needs to learn, can't learn that if everybody is showered with piles of money.

Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:25 pm

I agree, play to win. But the adult tournaments pay quite a lot more than $2,000 for non-winners.
This is just my opinion, your opinion is also valid.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!

WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:33 pm

Golf wrote: If I'm not mistaken, all expenses are paid for and whatever money they are awarded for not winning is certainly a nice start for a college fund.
As a former Kids' Week contestant, I can vouch for the former (plus $600 for incidentals, as I recall). The latter...well, by the time I got to college, my $2,000 runner-up prize, minus taxes, paid for my books.

Though I will say this--although I agree with having runner-up prizes increased for kids, I think it might take away the incentive to play to win, even if the minimum is now $15,000 (up from $10,000 when I played).
アタックチャンス!