Monday, December 8, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Monday, December 8, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

I got Pennsylvania from knowing the Allegheny River is in Pirrsburgh. Franklin also made me think of Ben Franklin, though other states (including my own) have Franklin and Jefferson.

I got Maryland from the Calvert family. The others weren't overly difficult for me.

No chance on FJ. Thought of Deliverance but went with the French Connection.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

MDaunt wrote:Blazing Saddles...

This strikes me as a trivia question.

I hate trivia.
My first thought was also Blazing Saddles but knew that came a few years later, so I went with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Terrible bet by Ann, she should have risked $2,201.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Got FJ after a lot of running around.

I tried to remember the movies that came out around 1971 .... One Flew Over..., Five Easy Pieces, something that might have related to another movie. Then I remember "ooooh, that Peter Bogdonavich film in black and white, whatzizname?" And it came to me at about the 20th second mark.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I could have sworn I set up a whole thread for people to answer TPH's questions ...
dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

thenextofken wrote:
I wondered if anyone would guess Deliverance, since that is only off by one year.
I did, and knew it was probably 1972, but couldn't think of anything else, especially since it dealt with a river.
I thought Deliverance as well, and thought it was 1972 too. My thought was Red River was like the Red Sea, and Moses "delivering" his people out of Eypgt. Yes, weird analogy. :)
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

dexterG wrote:
thenextofken wrote:
I wondered if anyone would guess Deliverance, since that is only off by one year.
I did, and knew it was probably 1972, but couldn't think of anything else, especially since it dealt with a river.
I thought Deliverance as well, and thought it was 1972 too. My thought was Red River was like the Red Sea, and Moses "delivering" his people out of Eypgt. Yes, weird analogy. :)
Another river--> Deliverance here. Reading the clue in hindsight, Deliverance doesn't make a lot of sense for an answer, but that's the best answer that came to mind.
Sheepin' it real.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

alietr wrote:I could have sworn I set up a whole thread for people to answer TPH's questions ...
Indeed. Come on, people...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Loved both the book and movie versions of The Last Picture Show, but it never crossed my mind. Like others, I went with Midnight Cowboy. Definitely a tough one.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

grindcore wrote:Hats off to anyone who got FJ. I was dead in the water. Very tricky in my opinion.

I think I did pretty poorly, even on anagram category that I usually kill. Ah well. Good to see Ann break the streak. She seems on the ball.
I second the "hats off." I thought this was beyond tricky, more like bizarre and unfathomable. I precalled "Goodbye Columbus" and on this FJ had no realistic shot. I wagged Rio Bravo.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

That's obscure FJ. Luckily it's in my wheelhouse (film in general, 70s in particular) but wow. Incidentally, 1971 is one of my favourite years for film even in the context of the 70s, it had such gems as A Clockwork Orange, Get Carter, The French Connection, Straw Dogs, Dirty Harry,....
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:My brain was completely fried on Counties.
You don't know your counties, TPH. Take note especially of the ones that are unique to particular states.

Calvert and Anne Arundel are both unique for Maryland. They only are county names in the U.S. in Maryland. With two unique ones (don't remember the third), that makes it an easy clue.
Unique, yes, but that also requires you having HEARD of said counties first. Neither name sounded remotely familiar to me.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Counties-Having driven through some of them helped me in this category.
Toothpaste-That was fun, 5 for 5.

Since I have never seen "The Last Picture Show", I could not get the FJ. I went with "True Grit". It was a guess. :cry:
Good to see a repeat champion.
I noticed Alex's different glasses. But hey, maybe he has many pairs and changes them to make a statement.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

MDaunt wrote:Blazing Saddles...

This strikes me as a trivia question.

I hate trivia.
I have to disagree. When Jeopardy asks about older movies, it usually stays within the realm of Best Picture Academy Award winners or movies in the National Film Registry. This was no exception, and I think it was fair game. It fell on the hard side, but not obscure enough to call trivia.

The FJ in this game, on the other hand... I'd call trivia. ;)

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=371
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

and here is why I can never be on the show.

Allegheny, Franklin and Jefferson. I know Pittsburgh is in Allegheny county, but Frankin and Jefferson. I'm thinking Thomas and Benjamin. I clam, and didn't know the answer until it is given.

I LIVE IN PENNSYLVANIA FOR GOODNESS SAKE. In fact, I live about 20 mile from Jefferson county, which is very rural and is the home of Punxsutawney Phil, groundhog day, and it's just not coming to me fast enough.

I suck!!!!!! :x BTW, I got Maryland, and had a solid guess on Oklahoma.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Sherm wrote:and here is why I can never be on the show.

Allegheny, Franklin and Jefferson. I know Pittsburgh is in Allegheny county, but Frankin and Jefferson. I'm thinking Thomas and Benjamin. I clam, and didn't know the answer until it is given.

I LIVE IN PENNSYLVANIA FOR GOODNESS SAKE. In fact, I live about 20 mile from Jefferson county, which is very rural and is the home of Punxsutawney Phil, groundhog day, and it's just not coming to me fast enough.

I suck!!!!!! :x BTW, I got Maryland, and had a solid guess on Oklahoma.
I got screwed up on the Pennsylvania one because I often visit Harpers Ferry, which is in Jefferson County, WV. Had they left Jefferson off of that, I probably would have either clammed or gotten a solid guess off based on Franklin.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ Hey, I live in Michigan and I didn't know that Lake Superior is the Great Lake with the highest altitude. Never occurred to me that Superior, being NAMED for the fact that it's the biggest in area, might also meet at least one other superlative...
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

I really have no idea what was up with Ann's wager on this game. Her first win was because of David's weird wager, and bet so small. She bet so small in the first game, and now she bets too big. She at least needed to bet 2201 to win.

If her wager was meant for Patrick to bet 0, that would be kind of a one-way ticket to Boot Hill because Patrick knows that he has more than 50% of Ann's total and has to bet big.

It does show that a champ can be inconsistent.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

BobF wrote:
What made it terrible? In what circumstances would it have lost her a game that a $2,201 wager would have won? Maybe she's really good at movies and wanted to win an extra $3,400. Or maybe she had some indication that Patrick was really bad at movies and figured that if he got it right, she would get it right as well, so there was very little chance for her to lose.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

jeff6286 wrote:
BobF wrote:
What made it terrible? In what circumstances would it have lost her a game that a $2,201 wager would have won? Maybe she's really good at movies and wanted to win an extra $3,400. Or maybe she had some indication that Patrick was really bad at movies and figured that if he got it right, she would get it right as well, so there was very little chance for her to lose.
The bet would have been fine under the old rules. If we're operating under the assumption that ties are now decided by a tiebreaker question, she should have bet no more than $5,599 to guard against a $0 wager from Patrick.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

ElendilPickle wrote:I got FJ about halfway through the think music; it was the only thing I came up, and it seemed logical.
Same :hifive: