Sports Jeopardy episode 12 (12-10-14)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Sports Jeopardy episode 12 (12-10-14)

Post by Bamaman » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:34 pm

Fun game. It looked like Terrence was going to run away with it, but he hit a wall after the DD and we wound up with our first tie-breaker clue. I actually wish it had been a TS since all three bet it all on FJ.

I missed FJ, I had the Bulls but couldn't remember who the other team was and guessed the Suns.

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Sports Jeopardy episode 12 (12-10-14)

Post by legendneverdies » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:50 pm

I wonder if they would they have had a tiebreaker clue on a three way tie on zero on SPorts Jeopardy? Triple stumper of the day: not IDing Dara TOrres from a picture of her in the pool in which you can see most of the word Torres on her headwear.

Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:37 pm

legendneverdies wrote:Triple stumper of the day: not IDing Dara TOrres from a picture of her in the pool in which you can see most of the word Torres on her headwear.
Take your monitor or laptop and put it on the other side of the room. Then try to read the words on her swim cap. That is about as large as the screen appears to the contestants in the studio.

I watched this episode in the audience. They had to go through 2 tie-breakers which neither contestant answered correctly before deciding a winner on Q3. I can only remember one. Something like, "This Oklahoma QB was a 2 time MVP in the Orange Bowl in the 1980s before moving into politics." Since I am Sooner born and Sooner bred, it took some self-restraint not to scream the answer.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:00 pm

I precalled the Bama fan's best sports memory.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:26 pm

That was something how Terrence! let the game go from a blow out to a nail biter. He had to work hard to get the 5K. It must have been a terrible moment to realize he did not have the name Russ Hodges ready to go as he knew he should know that one.

Interesting to see the insight that we saw the third tiebreaker clue. I'm sure on regular J! it will be the same thing with home viewers needing the inside scoop to know the first one (or more) was a stumper.

I hit reverse too much on the time machine and guessed Lakers/Pistons for the FJ! clue. On stage it would have been an easy hit because no way I play Sports J! for real without boning up on the NBA champs for the past 50 years.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:04 pm

The NBA Finals
2014's rematch between the Spurs & the Heat was the first back-to-back rematch since these 2 teams in the '90s.

Spoiler
Show
What are the Chicago Bulls and the Utah Jazz?

Terrence Jordan: 4,000+4,000=8,000...wins $5,000 on tiebreaker clue
Sean Abate: 4,000+4,000=8,000
Rick Washington: 3,750+3,750=7,500

Tiebreaker Clue!!!

Memorabilia
Diamondback's owner Ken Kendrick paid $2.8 million in 2007 for this player's baseball card.

Spoiler
Show
Who is Honus Wagner?

amorris525
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by amorris525 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:19 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:Triple stumper of the day: not IDing Dara TOrres from a picture of her in the pool in which you can see most of the word Torres on her headwear.
Take your monitor or laptop and put it on the other side of the room. Then try to read the words on her swim cap. That is about as large as the screen appears to the contestants in the studio.

I watched this episode in the audience. They had to go through 2 tie-breakers which neither contestant answered correctly before deciding a winner on Q3. I can only remember one. Something like, "This Oklahoma QB was a 2 time MVP in the Orange Bowl in the 1980s before moving into politics." Since I am Sooner born and Sooner bred, it took some self-restraint not to scream the answer.
Why wouldn't they show these? It's an online show! There is no time constraint. I would have enjoyed seeing them.

I liked the Ricky Williams clue. Clever.

thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:12 pm

I'm watching this episode at McDonald's, and I was afraid Patrick's interminable scream would send people coming to see what was happening! I considered muting it but thought it would surely end in a second. I wound up thinking that like three times.

TerrHeel
Sports Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TerrHeel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Hey guys,that was me on the show. As you can see, I did my best to gag the game away, but luckily came away with the win. As was mentioned, there were three tiebreaker questions. One was on the Oklahoma QB / Congressman that we had no clue on, and the other was something along the lines of the first brothers to hold the heavyweight title. I can't remember what Sean said, but I rang in with the Klitschko brothers. It was actually the Spinks' (Leon and Michael). Definitely should have known that.

I went into the game with the goal of winning, with making the top three in points way way back in my mind. I thought that if I got off to a hot start I might have a shot at it. As it turned out, things fell like they needed to for me to make a run at it. Watching the episode, I was yelling at myself for betting so conservatively on those first two Daily Doubles. At the time of both, my opponents didn't have a whole lot, so even if I went for a big bet or even a true Daily Double, I'd have still had a good shot even if I got it wrong. As for the last Daily Double, I know about all of the pertinent information about The Shot Heard Round the World: it was pitched by Ralph Branca, hit by Bobby Thomsen, Dodgers vs. Giants, etc., but I never knew who made that famous call. I was still OK after that miss, but I think what really sent me reeling was the Andres Galarraga clue. Right when I read it, I said in my head, "That's Andres Galarraga," then when I buzzed in for some reason I thought, "Wait, Expos and Rockies, Larry Walker played for both of them too," and instead of just thinking that, for some reason his name came out of my mouth. That was horrendous and I can't even explain it. It cost me big too, since I lost 2k and Rick picked up 2k for answering correctly.

That miss frazzled me a bit, and I felt like I was chasing points for some reason after that when I should have just kept quiet when I wasn't sure. The final question I've tossed around in my head ever since we taped. If I got it right, I could guarantee second by locking out Rick, and if Final Jeopardy was anything I felt good about, I could just bet a tiny bit to guarantee a win with a right answer, or bet 0 and force Sean to bet it all and get it right to tie me. I was split 50-50 on Campbell and Calder (which I came to find out later isn't even the other conference's trophy), and guessed the wrong one. I think the negatives outweighed the positives of taking a 50-50 stab there, especially since it was obvious that my opponents didn't know it, so I would have a lead going into Final Jeopardy. And if somehow my wrong guess made them feel better about taking a shot and getting it right, I'd be behind and would have lost.

If a couple of things went differently, I feel like I could have put up a really huge score, but as it stands I'm really happy with how it turned out, and I think it was definitely an exciting episode, what with the tiebreaker and everything. The people behind the scenes, as well as Dan and Kelly, were all absolutely first-class in every respect. It was the time of my life- actually it gave me an entire awesome summer, with the audition in New York City in June turning into a fantastic weekend, then the call telling me I made the cut, and of course the show itself and everything that went with it. Oddly enough, the day after we got back from L.A., my wife and I found out that we were expecting our first baby, and stranger still, we found out today (the day of the episode's premier) that it's going to be a boy. Funny how that went hand in hand.

TerrHeel

Post by TerrHeel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Also, I'm not sure why they don't air the additional tiebreaker questions. Seeing as it's streaming online, you'd think time wouldn't be an issue. Maybe they wanted us to look better? They also cut out a part of my interview with Dan, where I had brought in a picture of me in Little League. They had asked us to bring in photos of ourselves, but probably because of the tiebreaker, they had to cut some content somewhere. I wish they had shown it, though! It was a pretty good exchange with Dan.

Golf

Post by Golf » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:22 pm

TerrHeel wrote:I went into the game with the goal of winning
Really? Holy crap!

TerrHeel

Post by TerrHeel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:42 pm

I'm sure you know what I mean. The mechanics of Sports Jeopardy are different than regular Jeopardy. You don't get to keep playing until you lose, so I thought a lot beforehand about how I would play from a "winning the game vs. going for the top three" standpoint.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:55 pm

The first quarterfinal game of the 1992 college tourney had a tiebreaker to determine who became an automatic semi-finalist, and as per the archive, the first two tiebreaker clues were not answered right and were edited out of the show. Today's episode timed out at 24 minutes and change, two minutes longer than last week's show IIRC. The post game chat seemed longer this week, too.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:09 pm

Congrats on the win!!!!! (I apologize for rooting for the Bama fan).

TerrHeel

Post by TerrHeel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:42 pm

Not a problem! Both of my opponents were really good guys. We had a blast playing.

Ryno

Post by Ryno » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:47 pm

thejeopardyfan wrote:I'm watching this episode at McDonald's, and I was afraid Patrick's interminable scream would send people coming to see what was happening! I considered muting it but thought it would surely end in a second. I wound up thinking that like three times.
Well, I do admire how Dan Patrick really committed to reading that clue. Tough game overall.

Lach Trash: Taw Kwan Doe (I'm sure my spelling is off), Bjorn Borg, Dara Torres.

Put Bulls vs. Trailblazers for FJ, but got the the tiebreaker clue that was aired on Crackle.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:15 pm

TerrHeel wrote:Not a problem! Both of my opponents were really good guys. We had a blast playing.

I also got trampoline. Like you, there was something in the wording that led me to that.

TerrHeel

Post by TerrHeel » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:04 am

Just don't pull out your Dong Dong!

Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:32 pm

TerrHeel wrote:Oddly enough, the day after we got back from L.A., my wife and I found out that we were expecting our first baby, and stranger still, we found out today (the day of the episode's premier) that it's going to be a boy. Funny how that went hand in hand.
Congratulations, Terrence and Mrs Terrence! How do you like the name Honus?

LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:37 pm

Congratulations on a really exciting show and a terrifying win. More than that, thanks for sharing your experiance with us on the board.
P.S. Oh, and congrats and best of luck on parenthood! Duh.
Le Flaneur