Monday, December 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Monday, December 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

Previous contestants who went by their last names are Jay Rhee's opponent Dobbs, and Dave Belote's opponent Sidarth.

Ryan's first response on the Titian painting sounded like "Asunción" to me.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Taking creature too literally I went with Jabberwock :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Lone Wolf & Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons (9), Lone Wolf & Cub: White Heaven in Hell (9), Into the Forest (5)

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote:Taking creature too literally I went with Jabberwock :roll:
Same here.

I guess it's appropriate someone named Rooks got that FJ correct. :)

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

goatman, in the 9/18/14 thread on Friday, wrote:NHO "ball-and-chain," nice one!
Did you get it?

Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

goatman wrote:
StevenH wrote:I badly overthought this FJ. During the Think Music I thought of the skylark, nightingale, and tyger. I didn't think that any of them sounded right, but went with nightingale. The obvious and correct one never even came to me.
Do not feel badly. I was leaning towards nightingale strongly from the first reveal, but the Prophet TMO was nagging and then it comes bubbling up, "Nevermore!"

I went thru Nightingale (Keats; although Philip Sidney of Astrophil and Stella & Old + New Arcadia also had same title poem), Cuckoo (Wordsworth; "Shall I call the bird, or but a wandering voice?"), and Skylark (both Wordsworth; "Ethereal Spirit, Pilgrim of the Sky!" and Shelly; "Hail to thee, blithe Spirit! Bird thou never were..." gee, was they in the same creative writing contest?) before settling on Raven, the other poems are all pretty abstract and 'ethereal,' typical Victorian piffle. Icould not recall the Prophet TMO but remembered at least that he opened twice to a tapping, tapping at the chamber door, saw no one, and said, "It was the wind, and nothing more."

Pretty tough get IMHO, as the TMO is very minute and obscure. Everyone would instaget, "Quoth (this title character); 'Nevermore!'" But that would be a giveaway...
My theory was that in a category like Poetry, the J! writers are not going to go with something obscure to the general public, like Blake Wordsworth Shelley etc, unless the clue is much more obvious. Settled fairly quickly on The Raven, but it was an educated guess.

OrangeSAM

Post by OrangeSAM »

econgator wrote:
goatman wrote:Pretty tough get IMHO, as the TMO is very minute and obscure. Everyone would instaget, "Quoth (this title character); 'Nevermore!'" But that would be a giveaway...
I'm still wondering what the hell TMO is.
For me the first TOM was the wind reference, which I vaguely remembered from the poem. The second was the prophet, as in "Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore!'"

Admittedly, my first thought was of the Jabberwock, until I looked deeper.
OCSam

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37 right.

End- 4; And- 4; Web- 3; Art- 2; "Back"- 4
Name- 2; Parks- 3; Wall- 4; Pop- 3; Science- 2; 1,001- 1

Lach Trash: "Crime & Punishment", "X's and O's", "Bartleby" (DD), "Spain"

I went with the nightingale for FJ.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
goatman, in the 9/18/14 thread on Friday, wrote:NHO "ball-and-chain," nice one!
Did you get it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8k3IzzG1lc
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

Lach Trash: Crime and Punishment, x's and o's, assumption.

Wasn't really sure on Crime and Punishment, but early in the game, took a chance anyway on a Russian novel.

I also thought he said Assumption, at first. I've never heard of the American Heritage Dictionary.
Best categories tonight were New York Movies 5/5 and I'll be Back 4/5.

FJ, I also thought Dragon, more as a wild guess, and was surprised Rex guessed that too. I wonder what's the longest Jeopardy has gone without a five-time champ?

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Ball and Chain
I'm more of a Social Distortion guy myself.

MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Leander wrote:
...something obscure to the general public, like Blake Wordsworth Shelley etc,..
That makes me sad.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Category 13 wrote: The Spokane instead of Seattle clue seemed like neg-bait. I nominate it for the weekly poll.
How so? Just because we were asked to name a city in Washington? The clue seemed to assume that the city is on a river, so my mind went to the Columbia River (and Vancouver, the only city in Washington I could think of on the Columbia), to be honest, Spokane never occurred to me - although I should know it's on a river (I stayed overnight in Spokane once on our trip to the west coast about five years ago).

But I don't really see why Seattle is negbait?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dhkendall wrote:But I don't really see why Seattle is negbait?
I'd suggest it's much more common knowledge that Seattle hosted a World's Fair than Spokane, so a clue about a World's Fair in Washington is going to elicit lots of "Seattle" guesses.

Since I live in Washington I got this one right, but not at all sure I would have otherwise.

SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

Rooks' accidental marriage story is the plot of W.S. Gilbert's comedy ENGAGED (his most famous non-Sullivan work). In Scotland, it is not necessary to have a minister or other official to marry a couple; they only have to declare they are married before witnesseses. In the course of a rather convoluted story line, while visiting Scotland, a young man named Cheviot Hills, in order to rescue a young lady from an unwanted suitor, declares that she is his wife, to which she concurs. Neither is aware of the Scottish marriage law, they go their separate ways, and only later discover they are married.

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I will be checking the box in the weekly poll saying that I very much liked the "extraneous" chatter.

Leander

Post by Leander »

harrumph wrote:I will be checking the box in the weekly poll saying that I very much liked the "extraneous" chatter.
I liked it too, but I wouldn't want it to go further than what we saw last night. I thought it did a lot to humanize the contestants in a way you don't get in the sometimes stilted interview portion, but I don't want it to take over the show.

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Leander wrote: My theory was that in a category like Poetry, the J! writers are not going to go with something obscure to the general public, like Blake Wordsworth Shelley etc, unless the clue is much more obvious. Settled fairly quickly on The Raven, but it was an educated guess.
Well I haven't heard of Blake Wordsworth Shelley either. What did he write?

Prophet made me think of Kahlil Gibran for a split second, but I thought it was a fairly easy clue.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Winchell Factor wrote:There had to be a Quvenzhané Wallis clue some time. Annie is a Sony picture.
Can't wait for The Interview category next week.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

MitchO

Post by MitchO »

The Websites for $400 clue was pretty misleading (not in terms of the answer, but other facts of the story) (And apologies if I'm not posting a clue properly):

"The Magic: The Gathering Online Exchange Website was part of the 2014 scandal involving this commodity"

The clue refers to the site MtGox.com. The original owner/creator of the site bought the URL because it was an acronym for the name given in the clue ... he intended to set up a stock trade site of sorts for cards & tickets for the Magic: The Gathering Online game. However, after only investing a few months in it, he lost interest. It wasn't until later on, when he got involved in the answer ...
Spoiler
BitCoin

... that the site became part of the scandal mentioned in the clue. The site had no official association with Wizards of the Coast (the company that makes Magic: The Gathering, both the paper and digital versions), and the only reason the URL referred to the acronym was because the original programmer re-used the URL he already owned for a few years. To me, a long time player of Magic and Magic Online, it read like it was some sort of official site that had to do with the URL's original purpose, and it wasn't until I Google'd the full site name used in the clue that it sparked my memory of the connection. I know there was a small hullabaloo for some other players on Twitter, but I haven't seen any of the company's usually active Twitter users comment about it yet.

It made me wonder ... what happens in situations where Jeopardy! may have to offer corrections/apologies/etc to people or companies or such? I'd think WotC has a bit of a legit beef. Apropos of nothing, the current Magic: The Gathering Online product is actually going through constant and vicious criticism from the online community (which I agree, it's a terrible piece of software), and they already have enough community bad press about it as it is. This has to feel like salt in the wound. :p

davey

Post by davey »

MDaunt wrote:
Leander wrote:
...something obscure to the general public, like Blake Wordsworth Shelley etc,..
That makes me sad.
It makes me sad that elsewhere in the thread the text of The Raven has been called obscure...
Perhaps the most read, recited, and quoted poem in American history.

Just for the record the Swiss architect atrociously misspelled earlier in the thread is Le Corbusier...

I was a sentient human being when the Spokane World's Fair was held, the Seattle fair was a bit too early, so I never thought of the latter...