Another interesting Sony e-mail hack development

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Another interesting Sony e-mail hack development

Post by QuizGeek75 »

If the kids want to be on the show, then the parents have to talk to them that they have to be gracious, regardless of what happens, as well as telling them not to cry if they lose or end up in the red before the third and final round or if the judges rule against them because their response was not phonetically correct before the shows are being taped and aired. Some of these parents are teaching their children to be a bunch of crybabies and I cannot stand them!
Just a person who loves game shows.
MiloTheMayor
Contributor

Post by MiloTheMayor »

ten96lt wrote: With that said, as great as it is seeing the kids week shows, having situations like this make me wonder if it gives the producers pause about having future kids weeks considering this situation and the one over the summer when there was the media hoopla about the Final Jeopardy spelling (although I'm sure the higher ups would tell them to deal with it since they seem to air during sweeps).
I don't think one spoiled brat should ruin the opportunity for dozens of kids who've been on the show, lost, but who were nonetheless cool with walking away with some consolation cash (and acted accordingly). I'm seriously trying to remember when, if ever, this happened before. The kid should be grateful for the show appearance, frankly.

Further, I admit I'm less sympathetic knowing that the mom tried to blame Alex for her kid's behavior. If you can't be a graceful loser, then don't go on a nationally televised trivia show where the odds aren't necessarily in your favour once the game starts. Period.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

It wasn't her fault for falling apart. Sometimes when you're 11, it's hard to control yourself. I know I was a pretty big crybaby at that age (although I still had loads of fun, even in losing). What makes me mad was her mom's reaction. It wasn't anyone at the show's fault, but if you want to play the blame game, certainly don't blame Alex.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

MiloTheMayor wrote:
ten96lt wrote: With that said, as great as it is seeing the kids week shows, having situations like this make me wonder if it gives the producers pause about having future kids weeks considering this situation and the one over the summer when there was the media hoopla about the Final Jeopardy spelling (although I'm sure the higher ups would tell them to deal with it since they seem to air during sweeps).
I don't think one spoiled brat should ruin the opportunity for dozens of kids who've been on the show, lost, but who were nonetheless cool with walking away with some consolation cash (and acted accordingly). I'm seriously trying to remember when, if ever, this happened before. The kid should be grateful for the show appearance, frankly.

Further, I admit I'm less sympathetic knowing that the mom tried to blame Alex for her kid's behavior. If you can't be a graceful loser, then don't go on a nationally televised trivia show where the odds aren't necessarily in your favour once the game starts. Period.
Who do you think made more money: the child or Sony?
MiloTheMayor
Contributor

Post by MiloTheMayor »

MDaunt wrote:
MiloTheMayor wrote:

Who do you think made more money: the child or Sony?
Uh, Sony? Duh...?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

nightreign wrote:It wasn't her fault for falling apart. Sometimes when you're 11, it's hard to control yourself. I know I was a pretty big crybaby at that age (although I still had loads of fun, even in losing). What makes me mad was her mom's reaction. It wasn't anyone at the show's fault, but if you want to play the blame game, certainly don't blame Alex.
I would have had a really hard time controlling my emotions when I was 11, not because my parents spoiled or babied me, but just because I was 11 and not good at faking happiness. :) This article certainly makes it sound like her mom was out of line.
ten96lt
Valued Contributor

Post by ten96lt »

MiloTheMayor wrote: I don't think one spoiled brat should ruin the opportunity for dozens of kids who've been on the show, lost, but who were nonetheless cool with walking away with some consolation cash (and acted accordingly). I'm seriously trying to remember when, if ever, this happened before. The kid should be grateful for the show appearance, frankly.

I question whether this kid was a "spoiled brat" or whether we're dealing with what could be a common denominator when there seems to be "issues" during kids week (like Thomas-Gate) in that we're dealing with helicopter parents not helping mitigate the situation. In this case, I wouldn't be shocked if the mom didn't give the pep talk saying that there's a 67% chance she will lose and that there's nothing wrong in losing the game and should hold her head up high no matter what; but instead, inflated the kid's confidence without putting in any checks which led to a hard fall. It's one thing and understandable to see a child visibly disappointed in not winning, but maintaining their composure for the most part; but running off stage is not the proper composure for anyone who makes it on J. That being said, I can't see that kind of reaction without some sort of pressure or influence from the parents either by over inflating the kid's ego or making it seem like it's win or nothing.

I agree it's not fair for those that do handle defeat gracefully, but how do you prevent these situations from happening? I'm sure it also doesn't make it any fun for the other players to watch this unfold in front of them. Do you force the parents to a meeting the day before and coach them on how to give their kids the pep talk then do a general pep talk in front of everybody before starting with the paperwork and other preparations?
Last edited by ten96lt on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ElendilPickle wrote:
nightreign wrote:It wasn't her fault for falling apart. Sometimes when you're 11, it's hard to control yourself. I know I was a pretty big crybaby at that age (although I still had loads of fun, even in losing). What makes me mad was her mom's reaction. It wasn't anyone at the show's fault, but if you want to play the blame game, certainly don't blame Alex.
I would have had a really hard time controlling my emotions when I was 11, not because my parents spoiled or babied me, but just because I was 11 and not good at faking happiness. :) This article certainly makes it sound like her mom was out of line.
And it seemed like more of Thomas' disappointment was channeled through the parents. (BTW, to answer Milo's question about when the last time something similar (not identical, but closest analogy): emanciptation.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MiloTheMayor
Contributor

Post by MiloTheMayor »

ten96lt wrote:
MiloTheMayor wrote: I don't think one spoiled brat should ruin the opportunity for dozens of kids who've been on the show, lost, but who were nonetheless cool with walking away with some consolation cash (and acted accordingly). I'm seriously trying to remember when, if ever, this happened before. The kid should be grateful for the show appearance, frankly.

I question whether this kid was a spoiled brat or whether we're dealing with what could be a common denominator when there seems to be "issues" during kids week (like Thomas-Gate) in that we're dealing with helicopter parents not helping mitigate the situation. In this case, I wouldn't be shocked if the mom didn't give the pep talk saying that there's a 67% chance she will lose and that there's nothing wrong in losing the game and should hold her head up high no matter what; but instead, inflated the kid's confidence without putting in any checks which led to a hard fall. It's one thing and understandable to see a child visibly disappointed in not winning, but maintaining their composure for the most part; but running off stage is not the proper composure for anyone who makes it on J. That being said, I can't see that kind of reaction without some sort of pressure or influence from the parents either by over inflating the kid's ego or making it seem like it's win or nothing.

I agree it's not fair for those that do handle defeat gracefully, but how do you prevent these situations from happening? I'm sure it also doesn't make it any fun for the other players to watch this unfold in front of them. Do you force the parents to a meeting the day before and coach them on how to give their kids the pep talk then do a general pep talk in front of everybody before starting with the paperwork and other preparations?
I probably could've worded it more carefully...I was responding largely in part to what the Mom did, which I still think is/was pretty ridiculous. If the Mom hadn't said anything, no one would have really known about it, largely due to the show's editing. Regardless of whether or not there was a Sony leak. I seriously had forgotten about Alex's comments at the beginning of the next show until this story broke through the broader SonyLeaks story.
ten96lt
Valued Contributor

Post by ten96lt »

For those who want to see:

When Alex tells her she won't be moving on: http://youtu.be/USNi6Raa37Y?t=17m18s

The clip of Alex talking about emotions as part of the opening remarks on the next episode: http://youtu.be/6i7c6n7dtsY?t=54s
MiloTheMayor
Contributor

Post by MiloTheMayor »

ten96lt wrote:For those who want to see:

When Alex tells her she won't be moving on: http://youtu.be/USNi6Raa37Y?t=17m18s

The clip of Alex talking about emotions as part of the opening remarks on the next episode: http://youtu.be/6i7c6n7dtsY?t=54s
Thanks for posting this. Seriously, I don't know what anyone at the show did wrong here.
El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by El Jefe »

MiloTheMayor wrote:
ten96lt wrote:For those who want to see:

Thanks for posting this. Seriously, I don't know what anyone at the show did wrong here.
Seriously- I think Alex was doing his best to put the storm-off in context for the studio audience. Team Alex here (duh). I think if parents aren't teaching grinning or grimacing through the losing then they are amplifying/enabling.

I think retaping the opening to the following show would have been fine but the end of the previous one?
JepStageMom wrote: She was upset about not being able to completely play the game to the end… I don't think I'll ever forgive him for that.
If with the elisions restored she still appears to be blaming Alex about not letting her snowflake play FJ, that would be outrageous. OTOH this may be edited for dramatic effect- will pursue...
hscer

Post by hscer »

El Jefe wrote:
JepStageMom wrote: She was upset about not being able to completely play the game to the end… I don't think I'll ever forgive him for that.
If with the elisions restored she still appears to be blaming Alex about not letting her snowflake play FJ, that would be outrageous. OTOH this may be edited for dramatic effect- will pursue...
"She ran off, according to her mother, because 'she was upset about not being able to completely play the game to the end.'

"The mother said Trebek, meanwhile, seemed totally uninterested in consoling the girl.

"'I don’t think I’ll ever forgive him for that,' the mother told producers."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ntrum.html
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

ten96lt wrote:I agree it's not fair for those that do handle defeat gracefully, but how do you prevent these situations from happening?
I don't think there is a way. You let the kid cry, let the parents deal with it, and then move on to the next show.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

Looking at the archived game again, the record shows she put up, by anybody's metric, an awful performance--she never broke four figures in the positives the entire game. I think ANY contestant would be embarrassed and/or upset if s/he put forth that kind of performance on the big stage.

But Alex doesn't have time to console you backstage after the show--he has more shows to do, and three more nervous contestants to address during the next show. His address at the beginning of the next show was spot-on.

Though something seems a little off if this was indeed Gabby's mother (as Jeopardy!'s FB page appears to indicate)...
I appreciate all your well wishes & comments & unfortunately Gabriella was not well afterwards & missed being up on stage at the end. She would have loved to be there, but it was not any fault of Jeopardy's. She's very proud of her accomplishment, as am I, her very proud mom
アタックチャンス!
mbrzycki
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by mbrzycki »

Hey everyone. So I was at the taping and while I am not commenting on whether or not the email/content was right or wrong, I ask that you think about a couple things.

Remember that not everything that happens at the taping makes it on the show. There was more to this than aired and at the time that her mom wrote the email, no one knew what would be on the actual show. Whether you agree or not with the email, this was a private communication sent by the family that was released by hackers. It's not like these people went to the media making statements of how they were wronged by the show. Even since the show aired, I have only seen the most pleasant comments made publicly by this mom.

Also, there's a difference between being upset because you didn't do well versus because you are a sore loser. Can you see how the comments made at the beginning of the next show made it seem like she was a sore loser? I can understand Gabby being upset because of how the game went down. Personally, I would have had a major meltdown and I have a couple decades on these kids! Gabby wasn't a sore loser at all. She came back for the rest of the taping and for the wrap party with lots of smiles. I was so impressed with how she handled herself. My daughter (Krissy) had nothing but good things to say about their day together. I'm a big Alex fan and I hate that he was upset by the producers' request. I don't think he was being mean and I believe he was just talking off the cuff. That said, I wish they would have just started the next show without rehashing what had happened.

This was one part of an otherwise amazing day. I hope that they continue Kids Week with the understanding that things are going to come up. Drama happens at every workplace, right? It's just that their drama makes the headlines. When you agree to allow your kid on the show, you know that there are some risks. I mean your kid can go on national television and bonk herself on the head or say "OH SHOOT" or have a vine made of her wrong answer... or all three, just saying! I feel for Gabby, I feel for the producers, I feel for Alex. I think at the time everyone was doing their best and hindsight is 20/20.

Food for thought... thanks for listening.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I'm still unclear as to whether there was a retape or not. Here's what actually aired the game after Gabby's:
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. I'm sure you've noticed that one of the main differences between our kids week shows and our regular fare, aside from the age factor, of course, is the element of emotion. As talented as they are, these very bright young people, haven't yet had too many experiences in life where they were not the winners. And that can be pretty tough on some of them. Nevertheless, we hope that their visit to <i>Jeopardy!</i> winds up being viewed by them as a positive one.
BobF

Post by BobF »

This Is Kirk! wrote:"According to the mom, Trebek didn’t ever console the girl backstage. "

Oh boo hoo. :roll:
Um, why didn't the mom do that?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

I'm going to go on a rant here, but I stand with Alex on this one. This incident is a byproduct of a culture that believes every kid is exceptional and parents who think their kid is perfect and can do no wrong. Its sad that Sony would cave to an overzealous helicopter parent that's raising another narcissist.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:I'm going to go on a rant here, but I stand with Alex on this one. This incident is a byproduct of a culture that believes every kid is exceptional and parents who think their kid is perfect and can do no wrong. Its sad that Sony would cave to an overzealous helicopter parent that's raising another narcissist.
I don't necessarily disagree with this. It happens a lot. But I'm going I suggest a possible alternative (not specifically accusing her parents of this either) - some parents manage to project the message: "You are a smart kid. Smart kids are successful. Everyone else in your family is smart. And they are successful. Therefore you must be successful too. Because if not then you are not smart. And therefore less deserving of our love." Sometimes this is how the kid feels even if all the parents actually say is "You are smart. And we love you." Not "We love you because you're smart."