UPDATE: Final call for new trivia game show

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lizlackey
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: New trivia game show is looking for contestants

Post by lizlackey »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:Goatman, they ask the same questions on every call. I would edit your post if I were you.
They don't. My questions were different.

Just interviewed for round 3, currently waiting for a phone call for the last 20 questions.
colonial
Contributor

Post by colonial »

I've made it to the final round of auditioning (have gone through three rounds of questions). Unfortunately, I'm getting a lousy Skype signal, and the casting team hasn't been able to see me without me looking like a watercolor.

It's a new laptop (just purchased three weeks ago), so trying to find a solution before it's too late.

JD
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

lizlackey wrote:
Rafferty Barnes wrote:Goatman, they ask the same questions on every call. I would edit your post if I were you.
They don't. My questions were different.

Just interviewed for round 3, currently waiting for a phone call for the last 20 questions.
I wonder if they have a panel of questions that rotates; "No harm no foul!" Thanks RandyG for making this available to Boardies! Good luck all!! I'll be cheering for you-all come Mayday. Goats
Last edited by goatman on Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Yeah, the ones that goatman posted were the same as the ones I got and two of my friends who took the test. I'm on to the second Skype quiz! Its funny, my neighbor just asked me today, "Try out for any new game shows lately?" and I had to admit I had. That's what I'm known for now, I guess.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:Yeah, the ones that goatman posted were the same as the ones I got and two of my friends who took the test.
Since you and goatman are both Murrlanders, and lizlackey is not, it may be a regional thing, dunno.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

The content and context of this program are consistent with:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2 ... /15832255/

Apprently this old dog has been revived:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Are_You_Sm ... game_show)
http://gameshowfollies.blogspot.com/201 ... tters.html

"On November 6, 2014, Fox announced it would revive the format, with a new generation of fifth-graders, to its lineup as a midseason replacement in the 2014–15 season."

More disturbing is this post about Burnett's prior production "Our Little Genius" http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/22 ... -2010feb22

Could be profitable, but apparently they're getting around FCC rules by having free-form unscripted content with no rules, lol. Kind of a cross between 5th Grader, WWTBAM & Survivor.
Sounds like fun!
Last edited by goatman on Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

goatman wrote:The content and context of this program are consistent with what my caller described:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2 ... /15832255/

Apprently this old dog has been revived:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Are_You_Sm ... game_show)
http://gameshowfollies.blogspot.com/201 ... tters.html

"On November 6, 2014, Fox announced it would revive the format, with a new generation of fifth-graders, to its lineup as a midseason replacement in the 2014–15 season."

More disturbing is this post about Burnett's prior production "Our Little Genius" http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/22 ... -2010feb22

Could be profitable, but apparently they're getting around FCC rules by having free-form unscripted content with no rules, lol. Kind of a cross between 5th Grader, WWTBAM & Survivor.
Sounds like fun!
Yeah, there were a bunch of articles in the entertainment press about 500 Questions back in September, but there has been virtually nothing written about it since. They seem to be very tight-lipped about what the gameplay is going to be like.
TomC4253
Valued Contributor

Post by TomC4253 »

Just came across this today. Serves me right for not logging on more often.
Sent the email, so we'll see what happens.

I neglected to mention that I learned about the game on this board. Does this matter enough that I should follow up with another email?
No, no, no! There's no crying in Jeopardy!
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I know someone who was on Our Little Genius. His show never aired, but I'm pretty sure he taped it.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

goatman wrote:
Judy5cents wrote:Shows like "Survivor," "Shark Tank", and "Celebrity Apprentice" are built on creating conflict and encouraging discord and backstabbing among the contestants. I can't imagine a Mark Burnett show without somebody--a host or another contestant--shooting people down. "You really think you can make money with this thing? You're nuts." Or "OK, once famous spokesduck for AFLEC, your project was pathetic. You're fired." And all that talking to the camera about how lowdown and sneaky the other contestants are in your tribe.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the intention is to take the people who believe themselves to be the smartest people in America down a peg or two on national television.

What I loved about my time on Jeopardy was the camaraderie among the contestants. They were all really nice people, we had a lot in common and we enjoyed each other's company.

I've always felt that Jeopardy is a civilized game about friendly competition. Which is why I believe Alex has the contestants stand together and chat after the game.
Yeah... I apped for this based on Randy's post, but they haven't called back and I'm frankly quite relieved.

If you've already been a J-contestant you've nothing to lose until AT retires, good luck guys & gals! :mrgreen:
I agree that if you've already been a J-contestant you have nothing to lose, but I disagree with your reasoning about Trebek retiring. I know that contestants from the Fleming era are allowed to compete again on Trebek era Jeopardy!, but I bet that will not be true when Trebek retires. The key difference is that there was a essentially a 10-year gap (with a short-lived variation in between) from the end of the Fleming era to the start of the Trebek era. It seems that it was being viewed as essentially a new show. I don't think we're going to see that sort of gap again. At least I hope not! When Trebek retires, there will be a new host who steps in immediately. It's hard to imagine that TPTB will now say that anyone who appeared while Trebek was host can now appear again.

Sorry to burst your bubbles, everybody, but that's my take on the situation. I may be wrong, but does anybody want to bet me on that? :)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

slam wrote: I agree that if you've already been a J-contestant you have nothing to lose, but I disagree with your reasoning about Trebek retiring. I know that contestants from the Fleming era are allowed to compete again on Trebek era Jeopardy!, but I bet that will not be true when Trebek retires. The key difference is that there was a essentially a 10-year gap (with a short-lived variation in between) from the end of the Fleming era to the start of the Trebek era. It seems that it was being viewed as essentially a new show. I don't think we're going to see that sort of gap again. At least I hope not! When Trebek retires, there will be a new host who steps in immediately. It's hard to imagine that TPTB will now say that anyone who appeared while Trebek was host can now appear again.

Sorry to burst your bubbles, everybody, but that's my take on the situation. I may be wrong, but does anybody want to bet me on that? :)
Apparently the wording in The Paperwork says (or said) that one is eligible to appear again after Alex retires (or words to that effect), so that's where the commonly cited fact comes from. However, I am inclined to agree with you on your logic (even though The Paperwork, which trumps what we feel "makes sense", says otherwise), and I get the impression that, combined with the fact that over 10,000 players will suddenly be eligible again on that day (all with game experience) and that his retirement will now be "sooner" rather than "later", I strongly suspect the wording in The Paperwork may have changed, any recent contestants can confirm/deny?

(Although this doesn't change the fact that previous contestants did indeed get this exact wording, and, according to their paperwork, would indeed be eligible when Alex retires, setting us up for the same problem I mentioned earlier. Of course there's nothing in The Paperwork that says that, once the CCs see you've been on the show before, that they can put your application to the bottom of the pile and give the new people a crack first.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

To my knowledge, there has never been paperwork saying players will be eligible again. Official rules of eligibility have stated that you cannot play if you have previously been a contestant on an Alex-hosted J!. Contestant coordinators seem to have guessed (speciously) that a change of host will lead to a change in that verbiage, which would allow for Alex-hosted contestants to return, and frequently include "this is your only shot until Alex retires" in their spiel.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

seaborgium wrote:To my knowledge, there has never been paperwork saying players will be eligible again. Official rules of eligibility have stated that you cannot play if you have previously been a contestant on an Alex-hosted J!. Contestant coordinators seem to have guessed (speciously) that a change of host will lead to a change in that verbiage, which would allow for Alex-hosted contestants to return, and frequently include "this is your only shot until Alex retires" in their spiel.
I've never been a contestant on J! so I haven't seen the official paperwork. However, it says on jeopardy.com "You are not eligible to be a contestant on JEOPARDY! if you have appeared on any version of the show with Alex Trebek." People (and possibly even contestant coordinators) may have twisted this into "Once Trebek retires, contestants who have appeared with him will again be eligible." Of course, the second statement is NOT a logical consequence of the first statement. On the other hand, the first statement does support the premise (and we've seen a number of actual examples of this), "If you were on Jeopardy! with Art Fleming, you can still be on Jeopardy! with Alex Trebek."

Dhkendall - Are you sure that the wording in the Paperwork says that one can appear again once Trebek retires or does it just repeat the language on jeopardy.com and is then being misinterpreted as I describe above?
Last edited by slam on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I did the skype and the third round of 20 questions about two weeks ago. While I was being asked my questions, I could hear someone in the background on another call giving out the same first round 20 questions I had in December.
Dance10

Post by Dance10 »

How long after the 50 questions skype test did you get responses? I got between 35-37 correct and they said they would score it and get back to me if I made it to the interview portion. That was Thursday night… I heard most people hear within 24 hours Anyone BDT? Am I out?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Dance10 wrote:How long after the 50 questions skype test did you get responses? I got between 35-37 correct and they said they would score it and get back to me if I made it to the interview portion. That was Thursday night… I heard most people hear within 24 hours Anyone BDT? Am I out?
The timeframe seems to have a lot of variance for different people. If you got over 35 right, I would think you would easily advance, so they could be emailing you any time now.
Dance10

Post by Dance10 »

Thanks for your reply. I'm wondering if my demo is already maxed out (maleCaucasian 40 something lawyer). They keep asking for women. Good luck to all!
Dance10 wrote:How long after the 50 questions skype test did you get responses? I got between 35-37 correct and they said they would score it and get back to me if I made it to the interview portion. That was Thursday night… I heard most people hear within 24 hours Anyone BDT? Am I out?
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Dance10 wrote:Thanks for your reply. I'm wondering if my demo is already maxed out (maleCaucasian 40 something lawyer). They keep asking for women. Good luck to all!
I took the 50 question test last week and received a call about 30 hours later for the interview. My demographic is close enough to yours that I can't imagine that the demographic is "maxed out".
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

slam wrote:
seaborgium wrote:To my knowledge, there has never been paperwork saying players will be eligible again. Official rules of eligibility have stated that you cannot play if you have previously been a contestant on an Alex-hosted J!. Contestant coordinators seem to have guessed (speciously) that a change of host will lead to a change in that verbiage, which would allow for Alex-hosted contestants to return, and frequently include "this is your only shot until Alex retires" in their spiel.
I've never been a contestant on J! so I haven't seen the official paperwork. However, it says on jeopardy.com "You are not eligible to be a contestant on JEOPARDY! if you have appeared on any version of the show with Alex Trebek." People (and possibly even contestant coordinators) may have twisted this into "Once Trebek retires, contestants who have appeared with him will again be eligible." Of course, the second statement is NOT a logical consequence of the first statement. On the other hand, the first statement does support the premise (and we've seen a number of actual examples of this), "If you were on Jeopardy! with Art Fleming, you can still be on Jeopardy! with Alex Trebek."

Dhkendall - Are you sure that the wording in the Paperwork says that one can appear again once Trebek retires or does it just repeat the language on jeopardy.com and is then being misinterpreted as I describe above?
Well,, of course I haven't seen The Paperwork (I'm an ATB like you), I'm just going by what people here have said. seaborgium seems to have made a pretty rational conclusion, I'll agree with him (as well as you it seems).

MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Dance10 wrote: They keep asking for women.
Don't we all?