Friday, December 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6965, 2014-12-19

CONTESTANTS
Chris Trumpy, a project analyst from Ventura, California
Allison Fraser, a stay-at-home mom from Alexandria, Virginia
Kevin Hozey, a history teacher from Jacksonville, Florida (whose 1-day cash winnings total $27,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, all. Johnny. Big win for Kevin on yesterday's program. He led throughout and didn't want to risk too much money in the Final, but that's okay. $27,000 is a nice-sounding total. Allison and Chris, welcome aboard. Pick up your signaling devices. Hope you get to use 'em often in this first round of play, the Jeopardy! Round. Here are the categories for you. We start you off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COOKBOOKS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE WWII WASP (3/5)
"CITY" CITIES (5/5)
7 DEADLY SIN‑ONYMS (4/5) (Alex: We want you to I.D. a--I.D. the corresponding sin according to the Catholic Education Resource Center, all right?)
@midnight (3/4)
POINTS! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kevin: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Allison: 8 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Chris: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Allison found the Daily Double on the 6th clue. Kevin had $200, Allison was scoreless, and Chris was at $1,000. Allison wagered $1,000.

COOKBOOKS $600: The subtitle of "Tagines & Couscous" mentions this country whose cuisine it features

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Allison: $2,200
Kevin: $1,800
Chris: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Chris Trumpy works for the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy here in Southern California, and he deals with, uh, an area of land that I once donated to them. What exactly do you do in managing the Trebek Open Space?

Chris: Uh, I personally don't have any involvement in it other than, I work for the agency that manages it. We have rangers and facilities managers that take care of it, but I deal with habitat mitigation program that offsets impacts from development.

Alex: Ahh.

Alex: Allison Fraser is a stay-at-home mom from Alexandria, Virginia. Now, it says here that on safari in Kenya, you and your husband were very close to some lions. How close?

Allison: Yes, um, probably within ten feet.

Alex: Were you on foot or in one of the vehicles?

Allison: We were in one of the vehicles, but it didn't have sides, so there was nothing but air separating us.

Alex: It does--it doesn't matter. If you're in the vehicle, the lions will ignore you completely. However, step out of the vehicle next time you go. Just to see.

Allison: Probably not.

Alex: No? Okay, I understand.

Alex: Kevin Hozey is a history teacher from Florida, and he became a history teacher because he was inspired by a famous movie.

Kevin: Raiders of the Lost Ark. It was one of my favorite movies ever since I was a kid. And it wasn't just beating up Nazis or going on car chases, but the scene where Indiana Jones is searching for the Ark in the map room with the staff, and he's using his research, and he's using his study. It really communicated to me, and it's something that I thought, I--I could do that. So, it just was a huge inspiration for where I went in my career.

Alex: Well, good for you. Are you afraid of snakes?

Kevin: Uh, no, not terribly, no. There's other things I'm afraid of.

Alex: He hates snakes.

[Kevin laughs.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COOKBOOKS $800: This 5-letter prefix precedes "Grilling" in the title of the "Modern Caveman's Guide to Cooking with Fire"
(Chris: What is "Joy of"?)

7 DEADLY SIN‑ONYMS $600: Rapaciousness
(a 7-letter sin)

THE WWII WASP $200: The first women to fly U.S. military aircraft made up WASP, the "Women Airforce Service" these
(Kevin: What is Personnel?)

@midnight $200: Exodus 12:29 says, "At midnight the Lord smote all the firstborn in the land of" this

THE WWII WASP $1000: As director of WASP, this barrier-breaking aviatrix oversaw the training of hundreds of women
(Allison: Who is Amelia Earhart?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kevin: $6,800
Allison: $2,800
Chris: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE PLAYWRIGHT WRITES (3/5) (Alex: Identify the playwright.)
CREATURE COMFORTS (4/5)
ENDS IN "X" (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ECONOMICS (2/5)
A CHRISTMAS SONGBOOK (5/5)
THE SAKHAROV PRIZE (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Allison: 12 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Kevin: 6 R, 3 W
Chris: 5 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Chris snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Kevin had $8,400, Allison had $9,600, and Chris had a deficit with -$600. Chris wagered $2,000.

ENDS IN "X" $800: Elastane is another name for this fabric

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Allison who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Kevin had $8,400, Allison had $16,000, and Chris was at $5,000. Allison wagered $4,000.

THE SAKHAROV PRIZE $1600: Alexander Dubcek was honored in 1989, 21 years after leading this city's brief "Spring"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]
(Alex: And with that, you go to 20 grand!)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE PLAYWRIGHT WRITES $1600: "I'm not like you. At the end of 'Casablanca' when you lost Ingrid Bergman, weren't you crushed?"

THE PLAYWRIGHT WRITES $2000: "Show to all in Thebes his father's murderer"
(Chris: Who is Shakespeare?)

CREATURE COMFORTS $1200: Emperor penguins keep warm by huddling facing inward in a formation named for this reptile

ECONOMICS $800: China's cap on this at around 3.5% a year, favored by banks, has stifled spending by consumers, who need to save more
(Kevin: What is the interest rate?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Alex: What is the prime interest rate?)
(Alex: No. Allison.)
(Allison: What is inflation?)

ECONOMICS $1200: Clement Juglar was one of the first to analyze this, made up of expansion, downturn, contraction

ECONOMICS $1600: A 21st c. Federal Reserve policy is called this type of easing because it provides banks with more money to loan

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Allison: $20,000 (lock game)
Kevin: $8,400
Chris: $5,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL MOTORING

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Allison: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Kevin: Wager $1,601 to cover Chris.
Chris: You have the hope of surpassing Kevin for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $1,800 and $4,998.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of the 3 European Union countries besides the United Kingdom that have not switched to driving on the right

FINAL SCORES
Chris: $5,000 - $3,406 = $1,594 (What is Poland) (3rd place)
Kevin: $8,400 + $1,700 = $10,100 (What is Ireland?) (2nd place)
Allison: $20,000 + $500 = $20,500 (What is Ireland?) (New champion: $20,500)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Allison: $17,200, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Kevin: $8,400, 16 R, 3 W
Chris: $3,800, 11 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Combined Coryat: $29,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Allison: 21/60 = .350
Kevin: 17/58 = .293
Chris: 11/59 = .186
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"CITY" CITIES $600: The metro area of this city includes Clay & Cass Counties in Missouri & Leavenworth in a neighboring state
(Allison: What is Jefferson City?)

THE WWII WASP $400: The official WASP emblem was Fifinella, a female Gremlin drawn by this animator & filmmaker

THE WWII WASP $800: A boost to national morale, the WASP were featured in & on the cover of this magazine in 1943
(Chris: What is Time?)

POINTS! $800: In 1960 the Packers' Paul Hornung truly did it all in scoring 176 points: 15 TDs, 41 PATs & 15 of these
(Chris: What are interceptions?)

@midnight $800: Tony Horwitz' "Midnight Rising" dealt with this man "and the Raid That Sparked the Civil War"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CREATURE COMFORTS $800: A wood type of this insect sunbathes outside, then releases the heat in a 7'-tall communal structure
Kevin: What are (termites?)

THE PLAYWRIGHT WRITES $400: "Whoever you are--I have always depended on the kindness of strangers"
(Chris: Who is Margaret Mitchell?)

ENDS IN "X" $1600: This type of home, named for resembling a seasoning holder, is basically a Cape Cod with an extension
(Kevin: What is a duplex?)

ENDS IN "X" $2000: Some legends say after Achilles' armor was awarded to Odysseus, this hero went mad & killed himself
(Alex: [*], his friend.)

ECONOMICS $2000: In 1821 Great Britain instituted this system in which a metal provides the reference point for currency
(Alex: You are right with less than a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Morocco
paleo
avarice
Pilots
Egypt
Jacqueline Cochran
spandex
Prague
Woody Allen (in Play It Again, Sam)
Sophocles (in Oedipus Rex)
a turtle
the deposit interest rate
the business cycle
quantitative
(1 of) Ireland, Malta & Cyprus
Kansas City
(Walt) Disney
Life
field goals
John Brown
ants
Tennessee Williams (in A Streetcar Named Desire)
a saltbox
Ajax
the gold standard
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

International Motoring
One of the 3 European Union countries besides the United Kingdom that have not switched to driving on the right.

Spoiler
What is Ireland, Malta, or Cyprus? Chris said Poland; Kevin and Allison both correctly named Ireland.

Allison Fraser: $20,000+$500=$20,500...now a 1-day champion with $20,500
Kevin Hozey: $8,400+$1,700=$10,100
Chris Trumpy: $5,000-$3,406=$1,594
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Well I haven't done any Sporcle driving quizzes lately, but I figured since they spotted us the UK, and Ireland is right there, it made sense that they'd still drive on the left. NFW I would've guessed Cyprus/Malta even as a desperate WAG.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was a great game for Allison. She also responded correctly to a clue that had the name of another Allison in it. I got 42 clues correct including pilots, business cycle, quantitative easing, and FJ. My response for FJ was Ireland.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I've driven in Ireland, so that was an instaget. The other two I knew had to be islands also, but couldn't decide between Malta, Cyprus and Iceland. I wasn't sure Cyprus was in the EU, either.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I said Sweden for FJ, thinking, "Oh! Three countries! Maybe they're related? Sweden, Norway, Finland!"
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Kansas City! Let's go Royals! I confess to laughing at Allison for missing it, but the joke was on me when I got stumped on Jefferson City.

Anger was my only sin, and it was the bottom row. My first instinct was ants, avoid negbait termites, but then convinced it had to be termites, got it wrong. I love Woody Allen and know he's a playwright! BMS interest rate? Oops, I had no clue on deposit.

A tad annoyed when Allison went to top row after LTAM and DD not revealed yet, but so happy it worked out with her getting the DD and lock on last clue.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Leander wrote:I've driven in Ireland, so that was an instaget.
Ditto. Speaking strictly for myself, the driving-on-the-opposite-side part of the experience wasn't bad at all. The tricky part was getting acclimated to how freaking narrow the roads are compared to the States and adjusting my position relative to the center line. I had to learn quickly because those stone walls are really close to the shoulder and it can cause a wife to get really, ah, shall we say, "vocal" about how close you are to scuffing up the rental car. :|
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I figured the 3 had to be islands, since changing sides on land would seem to be tricky. I went with Ireland, with Malta second. I probably would have said Iceland third if pressed (I always forget they're not in the EU).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Leander

Post by Leander »

jjwaymee wrote:
Leander wrote:I've driven in Ireland, so that was an instaget.
Ditto. Speaking strictly for myself, the driving-on-the-opposite-side part of the experience wasn't bad at all. The tricky part was getting acclimated to how freaking narrow the roads are compared to the States and adjusting my position relative to the center line. I had to learn quickly because those stone walls are really close to the shoulder and it can cause a wife to get really, ah, shall we say, "vocal" about how close you are to scuffing up the rental car. :|
Our rental car, being an automatic , came with quite a few scuff marks from prior American drivers. I had a few close calls from a few hedges myself .
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

28 right.

Cook- 2; Wasp- 3; "City"- 5; Sin- 2; Mid- 4; Points- 5
Write- 1; Comfort- 0; X- 0; Eco- 2; Song- 1; Sakharov- 3

Lach Trash: "paleo-", "pilots"

I can't believe I didn't think of Ireland- I only thought of Iceland randomly.
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

Gahh, of course all the left-driving countries are islands. For whatever reason, I thought Greece was a good guess. Nope.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I didn't think Kevin would be a one & done.

Nice wager by Allison on that last DD. Enough to solidly put the game away & have a nice tidy sum, but not enough to lose the lead if she misses, even if Kevin gets that last $2000.

A clue on a football statistic from 1960, and a contestant who wasn't born when Paul Hornung retired rings in with a WAG? Those lights must be doing some strange things.

I felt the top 3-4 Christmas songs were Kid's Week material. Bad enough they used them for the DJ values.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Recalling its British connection, I went with Malta. (Somehow managed to completely overlook the much easier and obvious choice of Ireland, though.)
lundy
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by lundy »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the really STUPID replies by Chris in double Jeopardy. The football scoring question? You don't have to know who Paul Hornung was to know the only other way he could score points was field goals. Chris said "interceptions," which, if they result in points, are recorded as touchdowns. In the Playwrights category, he answered Margaret Mitchell, who wrote one work, a novel, in her entire career. Shakespeare wasn't much better an answer for the line about Thebes, which was obviously written by a Greek playwright.
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

Andromus wrote:Recalling its British connection, I went with Malta. (Somehow managed to completely overlook the much easier and obvious choice of Ireland, though.)
I'll go one farther when it comes to missing the obvious. I instagot Malta and Cyprus for that exact reason, and spent the rest of the time wondering what the third one could possibly be.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Category 13 wrote:
Nice wager by Allison on that last DD. Enough to solidly put the game away & have a nice tidy sum, but not enough to lose the lead if she misses, even if Kevin gets that last $2000.

A clue on a football statistic from 1960, and a contestant who wasn't born when Paul Hornung retired rings in with a WAG? Those lights must be doing some strange things.
How would Allison's 4K wager have looked if the last clue played, Kevin got it right to get to 10400 against 20K? Kevin solves the FJ! clue and Allison does not? Allison took care of her business though so solid win on her part.

Chris' wild guess on Hornung and interceptions: Two pick sixes and one tackled before the house? That's 15 points, right? :lol:

I've been watching J! from Trebek's start. Easy trash: http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search with Cochran.
Andromus wrote:Recalling its British connection, I went with Malta. (Somehow managed to completely overlook the much easier and obvious choice of Ireland, though.)
[Raises hand] After the music and before going to Chris it hit me that Ireland was a very likely option. Alex kept me sweating until the end. [Wipes brow] The category had me precalling something like the HKJ one: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3883 or some kind of who drives on the right or left type.

Apologies to Randy, but Alex was wrong about it being a new category: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2752 and it looks like the <del> was not used.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Apologies to Randy, but Alex was wrong about it being a new category: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2752 and it looks like the <del> was not used.
Ouch!
Sheepin' it real.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I said Malta because it's got a strong English influence. Plus its being an island helped. Then I thought of Ireland and got scared, thinking it was the easiest response but not wanting to switch from my first guess. So I left it blank I ended up sticking with Malta, and waiting like Mark for the relief when Alex gave the unused responses. Not only was I waiting to see whether I was okay staying with my first instinct; I was waiting to find out if I was 4/5 or 5/5 this week. Hurrah!

When I found the first known "eliminated third-place comes back to chat after FJ" game, I went backwards through the Archive to skim over Carl Brandt's games and the ones leading up to it, including Randy's. So when the FJ category came up tonight, I was a little flummoxed by the familiar name.