Monday, December 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Monday, December 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OrangeSAM »

econgator wrote:...Also, the Indy 500 is not a championship. It's one race in the Indy Car season. I'm also accepting my alternate response of the Monaco Grand Prix. :)

Instaget FJ.
There's a similar quibble involving the golf clue. The Masters Tournament is not the same as the PGA Championship or the PGA Tour Championship and is not even organized by the PGA.

I also considered the two Holbeins and thought a BMS was in order.

Easy FJ!
OCSam
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OrangeSAM wrote:I also considered the two Holbeins and thought a BMS was in order.
Nah. It's like Dumas (except it's the father in this case). If they were closer in "talent" (say like Pitt the Elder/Younger), then sure, but the works of one completely overshadow the works of the other.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

goatman wrote:TPH, Isaac Asmiov is probly the most famous sci-fi writer ever with over 500 books, stories and journals. That alone has been a clue by itself. This was instaget for goat-starers having read the I, Robot series back in the 2oth century. You might recall more recently a re-make in film of "I Robot" starring Will Smith?
For some reason, he just doesn't come on my radar. I keep thinking he's lightyears less famous than, say, Arthur C. Clarke, Douglas Adams, Ray Bradbury, whomever. I recognize the title I, Robot, but as with so many titles, I never bothered to put an author to them.
goatman wrote:NHO Debbie Stanbenow (D) from MI
My only get.
goatman wrote:(TPH, you're not Greek, are you?!)
No, but feta cheese is delicious. However, I was high and dry yet again on the food category in this game.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Bamaman wrote:I did a quick scan of the wiki article on the Iditarod and they do get paid, but I didn't see any dates of past races listed. I think you'd need some sort of hint to get you to the month.
The Wikipedia article says in the first paragraph that it is held every March.
Sheepin' it real.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

goatman wrote:Chief Gillespie = Rod Steiger in Heat of the Night ("What do they call you in New York, boy?" >"They call me MR TIBBS!" replies Sidney Poitier.
A favorite movie quote of mine, if you couldn't tell.
;)
Sheepin' it real.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

goatman wrote:Chief Gillespie = Rod Steiger in Heat of the Night ("What do they call you in New York, boy?" >"They call me MR TIBBS!" replies Sidney Poitier
They called him Mr. Tibbs in Philadelphia too. ;)
Last edited by Lore on Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

Those of you who thought Asimov was Russian are somewhat correct: he was born in Russia. His family brought him to the US when he was a child.

For me, this was one of the easiest FJs of all time. For several years I enjoyed a correspondence (by mail) with Isaac Asimov. He was, of course, a brilliant writer, but he was also an incredibly warm, insightful, and witty man.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

And FJ was...?
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Turns out Bert Ifill is the brother of Gwen Ifill, anchor of PBS NewsHour:

https://twitter.com/gwenifill/status/547186596496539648
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:I did a quick scan of the wiki article on the Iditarod and they do get paid, but I didn't see any dates of past races listed. I think you'd need some sort of hint to get you to the month, more than just saying the name of the race.

The Boston Marathon (if it is a pro event) would be a good one as it is always in April (like The Maters) and on Patriots Day.

I was impressed Bert got the Belmont, I thought he would neg with the Kentucky Derby.
I would've negged with Preakness; forgot about Belmont. Given where it was on the board, I figured it was a safe bet not to be the Derby.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

NoName84 wrote:Without the category, I would have gone with Capek for Final.
Since I knew Asimov was not American-born either, I did say Capek. When they revealed "Asimov" (and a triple-get at that) I felt really stupid. When I re-confirmed that Capek originated the word "robot" (not "robotics, I know, but hey...) I felt way less stupid but felt more than a little bit swindled by this clue.

The neg bait was overwhelmingly attractive and I went for it like a hungry trout. Boo hiss.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote:Can we get a poll question this week for those of us who had Asimov but rejected him for not being American? (It's early, so there may be better questions pop up later in the week).
If so, please count my vote :(
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

seaborgium wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Seems like the educator could have been credited with " the left lane and the right lane" if Alex would have given him a BMS.
Nah, he might have if Alex had said, "We need more than that," as he occasionally does. But BMS "right lane," and I bet most contestants follow up with "the far right lane."
You're right, BMS didn't apply there.
The words in the clue definately refered to a divided highway, and they needed a two-part answer because of 'Hammer & Granny'.
"Left lane" by itself would infer opposite direction traffic if a median is not taken into consideration.
MarkBarrett wrote:Another possibility is a sport or month had a second appearance.
In which case, Boston Marathon or Stanley Cup would have been a good choice.
I don't recall what the category was but I was having fun with it.
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

It's really fun when you were actually personally acquainted with the FJ response. That's me with author Isaac Asimov, at a Gilbert & Sullivan Society of NY meeting in the 1980s. He was a great devotee of G&S and sometimes performed in our entertainments. He sang the leading role in a pastiche I wrote to mark the centenary of PATIENCE: https://soundcloud.com/franica/asimov-t ... e-sorcerer
Attachments
FY & Isaac Asimov ed. 50 per cent.jpg
FY & Isaac Asimov ed. 50 per cent.jpg (55.94 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
ÕώÕ
Contributor

Post by ÕώÕ »

Bert guessed way to often in the Double Jeopardy round, and it has cost him the game.

Final jeopardy was way to easy, especially if you are a nerd or geek.
ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Great picture, Savoy.
Tpmorrison
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tpmorrison »

Anyone else notice that for the "Subordinate" question in the Clauses category, it wasnt even a subordinate clause? Seems like quite the faux pas.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Tpmorrison wrote:Anyone else notice that for the "Subordinate" question in the Clauses category, it wasnt even a subordinate clause? Seems like quite the faux pas.
Don't you mean a fox paw?
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

nserven wrote:Turns out Bert Ifill is the brother of Gwen Ifill, anchor of PBS NewsHour:

https://twitter.com/gwenifill/status/547186596496539648
I wondered that when I read 'Ifill,' not knowing how common the name is, but concluded he must be related since he sounds and looks so much like Gwen! (especially when he smiles)