Tuesday, December 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6967, 2014-12-23

CONTESTANTS
Melissa Applebee, a high school teacher from Urbana, Illinois
Avishai Gebler, a rabbinical student originally from Sharon, Massachusetts
Allison Fraser, a stay-at-home mom from Alexandria, Virginia (whose 2-day cash winnings total $20,500)

OPENING REMARKS
hank you, Johnny Gilbert, and thank you, ladies and gentlemen. You can't do much better than Allison, averaging over $20,000 for each of her two games so far. Avishai and Melissa, though, are here to put an end to her winning ways. Let's see how it works out. Here we go, the Jeopardy! Round. And now the categories. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CHRISTMAS ON BROADWAY (5/5)
FAMOUS PAIRS (5/5)
NOBEL PRIZE-WINNING AUTHORS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PANHANDLE STATES (4/5)
NAME BRAND NAMES (5/5)
4 Ls (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Avishai: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Allison: 11 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Melissa: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Allison found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Allison had $1,200, Avishai had $4,200, and Melissa had a deficit with -$400. Allison made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

NOBEL PRIZE-WINNING AUTHORS $600: This woman is truly "beloved", winning a Pulitzer in 1988 & a Nobel in 1993

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Avishai: $4,200
Allison: $3,200
Melissa: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Melissa Applebee is a high-school teacher from Urbana, Illinois. Tell me about the Porkettes.

Melissa: I would love to tell you about the Porkettes, Alex. As a student at Mississippi University for Women, we had an a cappella singing group, and we colored ketchup cups pink, put them on our nose, and our big hit was "Run Around Sooey!"

[Laughter]

Alex: How long did you have this group?

Melissa: Well, we still get together for gatherings--

Alex: Still?

Melissa: We are--we're besties. We even have a "secret" group on Facebook.

Alex: Oh, boy. Okay, thank you for that.

Melissa:
You're welcome.

Alex: Avishai Gebler is--or was a teacher, also, a high school teacher, before he gave it up to do what?

Avishai I'm currently in rabbinical school, studying to be a rabbi.

Alex: And you're doing studies where? In Brooklyn?

Avishai So, I live in Brooklyn, but the school is Yeshiva Ohavei Torah up in Riverdale, New York.

Alex: Ah. Okay. Good for you. Good luck.

Alex: Allison Fraser from Alexandria, Virginia. A stay-at-home mom. Obviously, you do a lot of reading. You must in order to perform so well as you do on Jeopardy! Am I right?

Allison: Yes, yes. But thank you for saying that. [Chuckles]

Alex: What else do you do to expand your horizons and learn stuff?

Allison: I watch Jeopardy!...

Alex: Good.

Allison: And also, before my son was born, I did a lot of traveling, so that's also helped to just expose me to lots of different places and ideas.

Alex: Most exciting place you've visited so far?

Allison: I think Cambodia.

Alex: Really? Why?

Allison: We went to Angkor Wat, and just learning about that culture and seeing all the amazing things there.

Alex: Okay. Good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PANHANDLE STATES $400: Chimney Rock, a landmark on the Oregon Trail, is located on the North Platte River in this state's panhandle

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Avishai: $6,200
Allison: $5,800
Melissa: $3,200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EARTH SCIENCE (4/5)
THE 1920s (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MULTIPLE ROLES, SAME ACTOR (4/5)
SOCIETY (3/5)
NATIONAL PARKS OF THE WORLD (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CHANGING METAMORPHOSIS (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be made up of some of the letters in the word "metamorphosis".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Allison: 11 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Avishai: 7 R, 0 W
Melissa: 6 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Melissa snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Allison had $5,800, Avishai had $6,200, and Melissa was at $3,200. Melissa wagered $1,000.

THE 1920s $800: In 2012 the top 1% of earners had their biggest share of U.S. household income since this year just before a crash

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Allison who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Allison had $13,800, Avishai had $10,200, and Melissa was at $9,000. Allison wagered $2,000.

NATIONAL PARKS OF THE WORLD $800: A Tanzanian national park on this plain features grassland & migrating antelope & zebras

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE 1920s $400: In 1924 this airline made its first intercontinental flight from Amsterdam to Batavia

THE 1920s $2000: Secretary of State Frank Kellogg & this French minister signed a pact with 13 other nations denouncing war

MULTIPLE ROLES, SAME ACTOR $1600: In 1988 these 2 actresses played 2 sets of twins in "Big Business"

SOCIETY $1600: Tom Colicchio says this 3-word phrase du jour just means buying better food from small-scale producers

SOCIETY $2000: The phrase "a woman of" this, no longer young but not old either, dates back to the 1750s

CHANGING METAMORPHOSIS $2000: Your skin has pores; the surface of a leaf has these minute holes for the same purpose

EARTH SCIENCE $1600: If a mineral is scratched by topaz but not quartz, its hardness lies between 7 & 8 on this scale

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Allison: $19,400
Avishai: $12,600
Melissa: $9,800

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: We were a little bit unfair to one of our players a few moments ago when she gave a response of "monitor lizard". The komodo dragon is the largest of the monitor lizards, and so we have corrected the scores. They are right now. She has $9,800. And here comes the Final Jeopardy! clue in the category WORD ORIGINS.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD ORIGINS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Allison: Wager $5,801 to cover Avishai.
Avishai: You have the hope of surpassing Allison if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,001 to force Allison to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Melissa.
Melissa: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $9,798 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the mid-1960s, a decade after it first appeared in a holiday tale, this word came to be used for any mean killjoy

FINAL SCORES
Melissa: $9,800 - $9,601 = $199 (What is Debbie Downer) (3rd place)
Avishai: $12,600 + $12,600 = $25,200 (What is a grinch?) (New champion: $25,200)
Allison: $19,400 - $5,900 = $13,500 (What is scrooge) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Allison: $17,600, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Avishai: $12,600, 18 R, 1 W
Melissa: $9,600, 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $39,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Allison: 22/60 = .367
Avishai: 19/58 = .328
Melissa: 13/59 = .220
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FAMOUS PAIRS $200: In 2014 this pair launched a brand new "Up in Smoke" tour

FAMOUS PAIRS $600: In the original illustration, they're the pair seen here

PANHANDLE STATES $600: Oklahoma's panhandle has the state's highest point, "Black" this type of flat-top formation of the Southwest
(Melissa: What is gold?)
(Allison: What is butte?)

CHRISTMAS ON BROADWAY $200: Dream no more-- "White Christmas", featuring the songs of this beloved composer, finally came to Broadway in 2008
(Allison: Who is Bing Crosby?)

CHRISTMAS ON BROADWAY $800: "Here's Love" was Meredith Willson's stage adaptation of this classic film with a street that crosses Broadway in its title
(Avishai: What is 42nd Street?)
(Allison: What is Miracle on 42nd Street?)
(Alex: Yes, they were getting the street wrong. They were eight blocks off.)

THE 1920s $1600: "Fighting Bob", this man from Wisconsin, got one-sixth of the vote as a third-party presidential candidate in 1924

EARTH SCIENCE $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) It wasn't until after the 1906 San Francisco earthquake that scientists discovered that this fault ran 800 miles from northern California all the way to the Salton Sea

NATIONAL PARKS OF THE WORLD $400: Indonesia has a national park with over 5,000 of these 300-pound lizards
(Melissa: What are monitor lizards?)
[Initially ruled incorrect; Melissa was credited as answering correctly because "the Komodo dragon is the largest of the monitor lizards" before Final Jeopardy!]

CHANGING METAMORPHOSIS $1600: From the French, it means deadlock; we have reached an...
(Alex: Less than a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Toni Morrison
Nebraska
the Serengeti
KLM
Aristide Briand
Lily Tomlin and Bette Midler
farm-to-table
a certain age
stoma
the Mohs scale
grinch
Cheech and Chong
Tweedledee and Tweedledum
mesa
(Irving) Berlin
Miracle on 34th Street
La Follette
San Andreas Fault
Komodo dragons
impasse

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:48 am

Word Origins
In the mid-1960s, a decade after it first appeared in a holiday tale, this word came to be used for any mean killjoy.

SpoilerShow
What is Grinch? Melissa said Debbie Downer; Allison said Scrooge.

Allison Fraser: $19,400-$5,900=$13,500
Avishai Gebler: $12,600+$12,600=$25,200...now a 1-day champion with $25,200
Melissa Applebee: $9,800-$9,601=$199
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:28 pm

SAotD: Moh's Scale. Seriously? That was a Stand-and-stare?

Unfortunately Ebenezer Scrooge/humbug was stuck in my head even though I knew it was a 19th century work. Couldn't think of any holiday classics from the 1950s, never mind one with a curmudgeon. :( (Of course, headslap on reveal.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:00 pm

It was an interesting game today, since I knew Melissa Brauer Applebee pretty well in college. (Very smart, and involved in everything, SBA president, etc.)

I gave her some advice (and got the credit in this newspaper article http://assets.news-gazette.com/news/loc ... -alex.html), but she didn't take it. To be honest, it wouldn't have done her much good based on the categories she pulled. :lol:

I was yelling "mesa" at her. I think I jinxed her a bit by going through a period where I was signing my Facebook posts as "Debbie Downer".

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:28 pm

Melissa's interview should totally be YouTubed.

4/5 in Panhandle. Honestly didn't know that Nebraska's jut-out was considered a panhandle, and got all tripped up following the Oregon trail backward to MO to see which state could possibly fit. "Wait, that can't be right, the Oregon trail goes through all the square states, doesn't it?!"

Baby Bjorn was also my only miss in Brand Names, but I ran 4 L easily.

Don't recognize the name William Golding. Paz kept me from a skunk in that category.

Overall very good J! round for me with 20/30. Even better, I was 5/6 on the $1,000 boxes.

KLM was waaaaay undervalued at $400, especially with "year before a twenties crash" as the DD.

Uber is one of those clues that's gonna be miles over your head unless you live in a huge city. Much like that one Groupon FJ! in that regard.

What led to Yucatán over Baja on Earth for $1200? They're both peninsulas, are they not?

Lach Trash: Mohs scale.

"Blah blah blah water affected by the moon = tide" is worth $2,000, huh? Who else joined me on clamming on that as too obvious?

Metamorphosis was too tough IMO. That's just way too many letters to slog through and see if the right answer fits the criteria. That is, if you can even pull a word like "remiss", "impasse", or "stoma" (NHO the last two) in time anyway…

Well, 1960s wasn't a decade after A Christmas Carol, so… Grinch of course! Had it before Alex was done reading. How was freaking
SpoilerShow
Asimov
a triple get, but not this?!
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:36 pm

That article pretty much spoiled FJ for me, since she said, " 'I will never be able to watch the Christmas special 'The Grinch' ever again' — because of a certain "humiliating answer" she may or may not have given." After DJ I realized we hadn't had a clue about The Grinch yet.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:51 pm

dhkendall wrote:SAotD: Moh's Scale. Seriously? That was a Stand-and-stare?
Yeah that was...I enjoyed today's game, really competitive, three good contestants, but I was shocked that was a TS.

I know it was in the 800 box, so it was going to be easier than DDs lower on the board, but you've got to be kidding me with that Serengeti DD.

'...mean killjoy'
somewhere in the back of my mind:"you're a mean one, Mr. Grinch"
Oh yeah, GRINCH!!!
This happened about 28 seconds into the Think music :oops: It's a short word, I could've written it in time, honest!

cosmos

Post by cosmos » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:51 pm

I would have negged tide when tidal is the correct response. So I'm a grinch.

I have an interest in U.S. aviation history. KLM not so much.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:59 pm

If only Melissa had studied like the rest of us crazy types ...

1/3 on that FJ? You kidding me? And the Jewish guy gets the Christmas clue ...

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:59 pm

34 right.

Christmas- 2; Pairs- 2; Nobel- 2; States- 3; Names- 2; 4 Ls- 4
Earth- 5; 1920- 4; Actor- 3; Society- 2; Parks- 3; Meta- 2

Lach trash: "Nebraska", "Briand"

I didn't go the holiday route and went with buzzkill instead.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:01 pm

I loved this board; there were some clues that were overvalued, but overall they were very well written. It was also a great game by all three contestants.

The FJ category was one that I normally cringe at, but this clue was an instant get. I can see how it would slip under someone's radar, though.

Allison had been very impressive. I am sorry to see her go, and I knew that Avashai had won the game when the Think Music was playing. But congrats to the new champion! He earned it.

billiej

Post by billiej » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:06 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Uber is one of those clues that's gonna be miles over your head unless you live in a huge city.
You can live a very small town (mine: population ~3100) but still get this if you pay attention to the news, which has recently covered controversies concerning Uber.

Being a woman of "a certain age" that was an instaget. :?

FJ: hmmm, Scrooge? Too early. Ahh, Grinch. Not instant, but pretty quick.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:12 pm

I thought the players played reasonably... until they went 1 for 3 on a very easy FJ

cosmos

Post by cosmos » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:16 pm

I pre-called "Cloud Atlas" for the mutiple role category. Checking the archive, it's actually been used in a similar way before, so not a bad guess. I hoped in vain for Nicolas Cage as twin brothers in "Adaptation."

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Since I went to a francophone high school, my already scant biology vocab bank is mostly in French, so when pressed to translate "les stomates" I said "stomatas".

Mohs scale TS - oof.

Grinch 1/3 - oof. Like a lot of people I thought Scrooge first and then duly realized Dickens did not write A Christmas Carol while listening to Bobby Darin on the radio. Got the correct response 10 seconds in.

Feel bad for Allison because I thought she was real sharp, but I won't miss her lip-smack before every response. Avishai seems up to it though, good job him.
Last edited by grindcore on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:53 pm

dhkendall wrote:Unfortunately Ebenezer Scrooge/humbug was stuck in my head even though I knew it was a 19th century work. Couldn't think of any holiday classics from the 1950s, never mind one with a curmudgeon. :( (Of course, headslap on reveal.)
Ditto. Ditto. And ditto.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:12 pm

bpmod wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Unfortunately Ebenezer Scrooge/humbug was stuck in my head even though I knew it was a 19th century work. Couldn't think of any holiday classics from the 1950s, never mind one with a curmudgeon. :( (Of course, headslap on reveal.)
Ditto. Ditto. And ditto.

Brian
Yep.
I even thought the clue said "century" originally, and I was like "What an easy clue!" Then I realized that it was something from the 1940s and I knew it couldn't be It's a Wonderful Life but that was all that was coming.
Lach trash: Nebraska, Moh

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:21 pm

Superb play from the 4th Podium by Goatherds upon a Christmas Eve eve, with 48 correct responses and instaget FJ. I am nearly ready!!!

Lach trash: "A woman of a certain age"; Moh's Scale; KLM (This is a clue inside a puzzle wrapped in an enigma; you have to realize that the city formerly known as Batavia = Jakarta; that Jakarta is in the former Dutch East INdies; that KLM is the Dutch airline! INstaget.); Nebraka = North Platte River runs through it (I drove for many hours along that lovely flat and featureless stretch, truly scenic and unforgettable...); and shouting out "MESA!" while the guessing goes around.

Neato Torpedoes: Cheech & Chong pic (did you catch Tommy Chong on Dancing? I thought he looked damned good for a 70-something ex-hippie!); Masters & Johnson (do not confuse with Kinsey); Tweedledee & Tweedledum, from the original John Tenniel illustration of Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass, exact picture presented is shown here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tweedledum_and_Tweedledee
Beloved = Instaget for Toni Morrison, she won a Pulitzer in 1988 for Beloved and the Nobel for same work came in 1993; the Pres Medal of Freedom in 2012; core knowledge;
Samuel Beckett 1969 Nobel for his "Theater of the Absurd"; an Irish playwright also awarded the Croix de Guerre
Sinclair Lewis accepted the first US Nobel for contributions to literature including Babbitt, Arrowsmith, Elmer Gantry and Main St, given as TOM in this clue; notably he refused the Pulitzer for Arrowsmith in 1926.
William Golding = Pavlov for Lord of the Flies;
White Christmas composer = Irving Berlin (Not Bing Crosby, lol he just did the singing!)
Meet Me in St Louis with Judy Garland introduced the now timeless tune "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas" of which nearly no one now recalls the origin;
Miracle on 34th St, not 42nd St (AT: "They were 8 blocks up!" LMAO
A Christmas Story: The Red Ryder BB gun, about a boy who gets what he asked for (You'll shoot your eye out!");
Little Debbie snack cakes; I think AT likes these as he keeps presenting this clue! Air Jordans...NHO Ashley furniture, TPH did you get that one? LOL
Nailed all 5 LL-LL clues: Will Call; Volleyball; Yellowbelly; Self-fulfilling prophecy; All Hallows' Eve = less common name of Oct 31.
Also 5/5 on panhandles; Fla-Idaho (Coeur D'Alene = Heart of Alene, a lovely town in the panhandle east of Spokane, on lake of the same name, but about 60 miles south of Lac Pend D'Oreille, meaning "Earring Lake" because of its unusual shape that suggests such an ornament); NE-Platte; Tx = Austin; Black Mesa AZ
Castor & Pollux = Gemini Twins, more stars to know... I also suggest learning Altair in Aquila the Eagle; Vega in Lyra the Lyre; Deneb in Cygnus the Swan (remember, a baby swan = cygnet!); Betelgeuse, Bellatrix, Rigel and Saiph of Orion (the stars in hunter's belt are Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka, they have been offered as TOM!); Polaris, Procyon (meaning: "before the dog" as a herald star for Sirius rising in some cultures) in Canis Minor and Sirius in Canis Major, the brightest star in Northern Skies, Alpha & Proxima Centauri (Alpha - first, Brightest in southern skies and sometimes 'closest'; Proxima - closest star, a binary with Alpha), Arcturus in Bootes, Capella in Auriga, Aldebaran (and Pleides/Hyades) in Taurus, Spica in Virgo and Antares in Scorpius.)

Shouted out "What is Dr Strangelove or How I learned to stop worrying and love the Bomb" before players lol, instaget on Group Captain Mandrake, President Muffley and the title role palyed by Peter Sellers, ROFLMAO, my most fav film evah. See Slim Pickens ride the bomb! Now that's devotion to duty... NHO 3rd party Candidate Lafollette who ran in 1928 as independent, he also ran as Republican and Democrat at various other times in Congressional elections and others, eventually offed himself, apparently he was conflicted...

Instaget Mid-Ocean Ridge BASALT (igneous rock... not Through Metamorphic Rocks by Tangerine Dream!)...
1928 = ante 1929 crash (what's 29 October, 'Black Tuesday' a past triple stumper, although it followed Black Monday, Black Friday and Black Thursday, how could you go wrong?!)
Lenin died 1924 = instaget for late Russians. NHO "There Will Be Blood" with Daniel Day-Lewis, was wondering "Is that the Lincoln flick? IDK!"

Tides/Tidal for gravity effects, OMGosh but you Must Know the Moh's Scale! (Talc, Gypsum thru Quartz, Topaz, Corundum and Diamond, where Talc = 1, Diamond = 10 and NB: QuartZ & Topaz both end in "Z", has been a DD!); Komodo dragons, Instaget for Indonesia critters & varmints, did not realize that Monitor Lizards are the family so she got lucky on that! Clam on Stoma (Latin for 'mouth') for breathing holes in leaves, the process of exchange is called transpiration.

I thought Metamorphosis would be horribad but it was easy gets IMHO; nailed Maestro / Impasse / Remiss / Smother.
Corporations are legally defined as entities, hence 'persons' ;
Nat'l Parks was great cat, got Bataan in PI (Death March fame), Banff in Rocky MTNs, Serengeti in Tanzania (been on Safari there, fantastic!) yucatan for meteor impact site, NHO Namadgi NP in Victoria south of Canberra, looks gorgeous and they have skiing in July!

The TOM in this FJ is powerful, it excludes Scrooge (champ offered) and other baddies by date in 1960's. Who was a meanie from the Christmas films of the 1960's? He's a mean one, Mr Grinch!"
ROFL and very surprised not a triple instaget. My goodness, am I getting so old so soon?!?! Merry Xmas to all and to all a Good Night! - Goatman
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:30 pm

Sorry for being a Grinch, but it's the Mohs scale, named after Friedrich Mohs. I have no choice but to accept Moh's because it sounds the same but no soup for Moh.

I didn't keep careful track, but I would have done well from the fourth podium. I got KLM off Amsterdam without knowing anything about Batavia, didn't have trouble with "women of a certain age" (ahem), Nebraska, stoma, Mohs. Was able to unstick myself from Scrooge and got to the Grinch about 15 seconds in.

I've liked all of the players so far this week.