Wednesday, December 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6968, 2014-12-24

CONTESTANTS
Brian Hamilton, an attorney from Sacramento, California
Becca Allred, an educator from Orem, Utah
Avishai Gebler, a rabbinical student originally from Sharon, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $25,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hey, Johnny. Thank you, all. 'Twas the night before Christmas, not too late to do some more Christmas shopping. You still have a bit of time. Brian and Becca, welcome aboard. And nice to have you back with us, Avishai. Good luck to all three as we go into the "Jeopardy!" round, which has one Daily Double in one of these categories today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALEXANDER THE GREAT (5/5) (Alex: It's not about me.)
SANTA'S REINDEER GAMES (4/5)
MAKING SOME COIN (4/5)
TV ROOMMATES (3/3)
THE "NFL" (4/5)
TURTLES (2/3, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Sarah: Some familiar & some lesser-known creatures, whose shells don't always protect them in a changing environment.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Becca: 9 R, 1 W
Brian: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Avishai: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Becca: $3,200
Brian: $1,200
Avishai: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Brian Hamilton is from Sacramento. He's an attorney who was once a reserve firefighter who received a prestigious award from the fire station.

Brian: Yeah.

Alex: Tell the folks about it.

Brian: I won the annual driving award. It's awarded to whoever crashes one of the units or bumps into anything with one of the units that year.

Alex: Oh, boy.

Brian: Yeah, we were washing it, and the window was down. I ran out to roll up the window, but I never put it in park, so it drove into the wall of the fire station. There's a nice, little dent there still.

Alex: It's nice to be known for something.

Brian: Yes.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Becca Allred is an educator whose son was very, very tiny when he was born, and she has kept a souvenir to remind her of that special moment.

Becca: Yes, my most treasured possession is a diaper.

Alex: I hope unused.

Becca: It is unused, luckily. Uh, my son was born three months early, and he weighed less than a pound and a half when he was born. Um, very tiny, required lots of surgery, was in the hospital for it seemed like forever.

Alex: Oh, boy.

Becca: And that little diaper, it's about this big, and it was way too big on him when he was born. But--

Alex: Tell me everything worked out and he is healthy now.

Becca: He is beyond fine. He is 3 years old now, and he tests off the charts cognitively and.. is wild and crazy and drives me absolutely up the wall.

[Alex laughs.]

Becca: He's perfect.

Alex: Okay, well, I'm glad to hear that he is well.

Alex: Avishai Gebler is our champion. This man has spent some time in Asia. In fact, didn't you ride a motorcycle in India, but not just on the streets of Indian cities? Where?

Avishai: Uh, it was my first time riding a motorcycle, so I figured I'd go and ride up what they bill as the highest motorable pass in the world. It turns out it's not, but it was phenomenal to be up there 18,000-plus feet and just was amazingly gorgeous.

Alex: Were you alone?

Avishai: Yeah, by myself.

Alex: [Laughs] Gutsy. Gutsy.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brian found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Avishai had $1,800, Becca had $4,600, and Brian was at $1,800. Brian made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

TURTLES $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew holds a tiny new friend at the Turtle Conservancy.) Like newborn birds, a turtle or tortoise that recently emerged from its egg is called this
(Brian: Let's do $2,000.)
(Alex: Well, you can't risk $2,000. You can risk only up to what you have.)
(Brian: Oh. I'm sorry. $1,800. Forgot what round.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SANTA'S REINDEER GAMES $1000: In the '70s Volkswagen rebranded the Passat in North America & named it this
(Avishai: What is the Rabbit?)
(Alex: To the best of my memory, "Rabbit" is not one of Santa's reindeer.)
(Avishai: I'm a rabbinical student!)
[Laughter]

MAKING SOME COIN $1000: The U.S. Mint says modern facilities in Philadelphia & this city together have "produced as many as 28 billion coins in a single year"
(Becca: What is San Francisco?)
(Brian: What is New York?)

THE "NFL" $1000: The source of all drama, according to some

TURTLES $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew holds a new friend at the Turtle Conservancy.) The pancake tortoise, which defends itself by running & hiding in crevices, is unique in that the upper shell, properly called this, is flat & flexible
(Alex: And that is [*]. And she said "running and hiding?" Right.)
[Laughter]
(Alex: Brian, less than a minute to go.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Becca: $4,600
Brian: $4,200
Avishai: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALEXANDER THE GREAT COMPOSER (3/5)
AWARDS & HONORS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE FUNNY PAPERS (5/5)
"C" PORTS (5/5)
PLAY SETTINGS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WORDS IN THE FIRST AMENDMENT (4/5) (Alex: ...to our Constitution.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Avishai: 8 R, 0 W
Brian: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Becca: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brian snagged the next Daily Double on the 18th clue. Avishai had $8,600, Becca had $8,600, and Brian was at $7,800. Brian wagered $2,200.

AWARDS & HONORS $1600: The media coined the name "Genius Grant" for the fellowships from this foundation named for John D. & Catherine T.

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Becca who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Avishai had $8,600, Becca had $10,200, and Brian was at $10,000. Becca wagered $5,000.

PLAY SETTINGS $1600: This O'Neill drama:
Act I begins at 8:30 a.m.: Act IV is set about 15 hours later
(Alex: Becca?)
[Beep]
(Becca: What is Our Town?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ALEXANDER THE GREAT COMPOSER $2000: His often played "Polovtsian Dances" were written for Act II of his opera "Prince Igor"

WORDS IN THE FIRST AMENDMENT $2000: Complaints sometimes filed by union members
(Brian: What is a petition?)

ALEXANDER THE GREAT COMPOSER $800: Born in this city, Alexander Zemlinsky taught Schoenberg & was rejected by Alma in favor of Mahler

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Brian: $12,000
Avishai: $10,600
Becca: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OSCAR-WINNING ACTRESSES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Brian: Wager $9,201 to cover Avishai.
Avishai: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Becca, hoping that you give the correct response and Brian doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $4,601 to cover Becca's doubled score, but no more than $7,800 if you want to top Brian on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $2,999 and win if both Brian and Becca miss Final.
Becca: If you think Avishai is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $1,600 to beat Brian and Avishai on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Avishai is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $3,001 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Avishai) and $7,600 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
With a total of 5 wins, they're the only 2 Best Actress winners who were known professionally by the same last name

FINAL SCORES
Becca: $7,600 - $7,600 = $0 (Who are Hi) (3rd place)
Avishai: $10,600 - $5,000 = $5,600 (Who are ????) (2nd place)
Brian: $12,000 + $9,201 = $21,201 (Who are Katherine and Audrey Hepburn?) (New champion: $21,201)
(Alex: [to Becca] What did you write?)
(Becca: "Hi, Mom.")

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Becca: $12,600, 17 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Avishai: $10,600, 13 R, 1 W
Brian: $10,400, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $33,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Brian: 19/60 = .317
Becca: 17/59 = .288
Avishai: 13/58 = .224
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SANTA'S REINDEER GAMES $800: We certainly hope this reindeer knows his way better than the same-named "party" of 1846-47
(Becca: What is the [*] Party?)

TURTLES $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew sits next to a big guy at the Turtle Conservancy.) Few natural predators & competitors for food, this South American giant tortoise became the largest species in the world
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

THE FUNNY PAPERS $2000: In 1995, Hilary Price was the youngest woman ever to have a syndicated comic strip when she began this one at age 25

"C" PORTS $800: It's at the mouth of the Cuyahoga River
(Becca: What is Cincinnati?)

"C" PORTS $1600: It's the double "C" port seen here

PLAY SETTINGS $2000: This 1955 drama:
in & around the Hillsboro Courthouse in July
(Brian: What is 12 Angry Men?)

AWARDS & HONORS $1200: (I'm George Stephanopoulos.) Like Senator Cory Booker & Governor Bobby Jindal, I earned this kind of scholarship to Oxford University, where I got my masters in theology

AWARDS & HONORS $800: This award honoring the best pitchers in Major League Baseball was the idea of Commissioner Ford Frick
(Alex: That is it with less than a minute to go.)

PLAY SETTINGS $800: "A Streetcar Named Desire":
spring, summer & early fall in this city
(Brian: What is Savannah?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
a hatchling
Dasher
Denver
conflict
the carapace
MacArthur
Long Day's Journey into Night
Alexander Borodin
grievances
Vienna
Katharine & Audrey Hepburn
Donner
the Galápagos tortoise
Rhymes with Orange
Cleveland
Corpus Christi
Inherit the Wind
a Rhodes Scholar
the Cy Young Award
New Orleans
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Oscar-Winning Actresses
With a total of 5 wins, they're the only 2 Best Actress winners known professionally by the same last name.

Will post scores in the morning, couldn't get to computer while watching, thx to goatman for clue transcription.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I cannot believe that was a sole get in FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Bamaman wrote:I cannot believe that was a sole get in FJ.
Yeah, I was surprised too. I was dreading FJ when I saw the category -- the gaps are filling in, slowly, but this is still an area of weakness -- but that felt like an easy one.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was a good game up until FJ. I got 41 clues correct including Denver, carapace, Borodin, grievances, Vienna, and an instaget of FJ.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

THe Sacajawea coin minted in 2000 came up in Making some COin $600 tonight. WHen the coin was first coming out, Regis WWTBAM had a question about it and Regis pronounced Sacajawea's name SOckywocky.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I cannot believe that was a sole get in FJ.
Yeah, I was surprised too. I was dreading FJ when I saw the category -- the gaps are filling in, slowly, but this is still an area of weakness -- but that felt like an easy one.
Not mine, either, but Kate winning four is top row clue material, so that should lead you to Audrey pretty quickly.

I didn't think anyone had won three (they haven't) so it can't be a 3/2 combination.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I found the DJ round to be easier than the J! round, but that may have just been because the categories in DJ were better suited for my knowledge base.

I am still kicking myself for missing the "journalism award given by the University of Georgia" clue. In my defense, I enjoyed FSU more than UGA.

The FJ category was one where I probably don't wager to cover from first place, unless I have a crush. But this clue turned out to be an instant get even for me. This FJ clue also reminded me of the "Dustin Hoffman and Philip Seymour Hoffman" clue from not too long ago, but I probably wouldn't have gotten that one even with a full day to think about it.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Briefly considered Vivien & Janet Leigh but doubted whether Janet got anything for the shower scene in Psycho so went with Hepburn, Katharine took one for African Queen I'm sure and others and I figured Audrey must have won at least once, was an educated guess FTW. I expected them to at least guess something, two ??? was unexpected but the scores were low too. Goatman scored 36 including FJ and came in late missed first two categories, dangit! Kids...

Lach trash: NHO Zemlinski but Mahler as TOM >>> Vienna; Carapace (has appeared twice now this season); Conflict = source of all drama in "NFL"; Grievances by Unions; US Mint in Denver, CO (also freq ask).

INstagets: 3's CO: Jack; Golden Girls w/Rose/Blanche; JFK on 50cent piece 1964; Sacagawea dollar; 1792 copper penny 9must be a first issue!) Liberty = Freedom; KS = sunflower state; 'double-winged insect' = dragonfly; inflate, confluence in "NFL" words.
Turtles: Hatchling, same as birds; s. American Toroise = Galapagos;
St Petersburg conservatpory; Synesthesia = tones perceived as colors, a not uncommon sensory disorder; clam on Polovitsian Dances > Borodin.
Funnies: Dick Tracy; terribad on comics need moar cowbells!
"C on K" Cork; Cleveland ; Corpus Christi (double 'c'). Malmo > Copenhagen (Sweden/Denmark);
1955 Drama in Hillsboro = 'Inherit the Wind'
John D & Catherine T MacArthur Foundation (PBS every nite for forty years I been hearing that!)
Hippies vs. "The Establishment, Man!"
15% approval rating = Congress (LMAO, they kep reelecting these buffoons some over 40 years in office enow!); Press = squeeze cider; George Stephanopolis was a Rhodes Scholar, bowled me over that he studied theology, skipped priesthood and became TV show host instead, go figure! Star Trek "Whoosh" sound Chekhov; The Cherry Orchard (May); O'Neill: starting at 0830 going for 15 hours = Long Day's Journey Into NIght (briefly considered Mourning Becomes Electra but that wasn't 'morning', lol!).
Kennedy center: Mark Twain prize; Ford Frick: Cy Young award for pitchers-instaget.

Solid game sorry I missed the holiday category as I walked in I heard "Santa!" and was DOH! I missed him AGAIN! sigh... go track Santa on NORAD website now, good nite all! Goatman
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 right.

Alex- 3; Santa- 2; Coin- 5; TV- 3; "NFL"- 3; Turtle- 2
Great- 0; Award- 2; Funny- 2; "C"- 4; Play- 1; First- 3

Lach trash: "Denver", grievances"

Instaget FJ.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Could someone post the FJ question? For some reason, the clue of the day link at the J! Site hasn't been updated since last week.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I liked the "I'm a rabbinical student!" line.

Has anyone ever tried to wager more than they were allowed to? I can't remember seeing that one before.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Leander wrote:Could someone post the FJ question? For some reason, the clue of the day link at the J! Site hasn't been updated since last week.
Yes, whosoever has the duty to post those on the website has gone to Grandma's House I'm sure. Been missing them.

Hereyago:
Oscar-Winning Actresses: With a total of five wins, the only two actresses known by the same last name
Spoiler
Katharine and Audrey Hepburn
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

The clue actually referred to professional name, which I thought redundant because all actors use professional names.
JeopardyBill
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyBill »

Very surprised this wasn't a triple instaget FJ.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

cosmos wrote:The clue actually referred to professional name, which I thought redundant because all actors use professional names.
That was probably to lead us away from Oscar-winning sisters Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

"Who was Kennedy?"
Long pause..........."John F. Kennedy"
Alex, what other person named Kennedy has ever been on a U.S. 50 cent piece?

So many wordy clues and drawn out selections in that DJ round, I can't believe they cleared the board.

I had more lach trash than I can I can remember.

The new winner seemed fairly competant. I predicted he would win early on. But all three had some bad guesses. Nobody could pull away.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

goatman wrote:Briefly considered Vivien & Janet Leigh but doubted whether Janet got anything for the shower scene in Psycho so went with Hepburn, Katharine took one for African Queen I'm sure and others and I figured Audrey must have won at least once, was an educated guess FTW. I expected them to at least guess something, two ??? was unexpected but the scores were low too. Goatman scored 36 including FJ and came in late missed first two categories, dangit! Kids...
K. Hepburn won for Morning Glory (1931), Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967), The Lion in Winter (1968), and On Golden Pond (1981) - not for The African Queen however.
A. Hepburn won for Roman Holiday (1953).

So your general conclusion was correct, just didn't include the movie that got you there. That's the kind of thing that just drives me crazy in WWTBAM contestants, but if it was me up there on the podium, I'd be happy to be right, no matter if there were flaws in my logic or not.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Yes, BMS Kennedy half dollar was funny. Same category had Roosevelt in clue for dime but didn't say which Roosevelt. :D