Thursday, December 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6969, 2014-12-25

CONTESTANTS
Heather Seal-Breslin, a stay-at-home mom from Flower Mound, Texas
Jason Zbanek, a fourth grade teacher from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Brian Hamilton, an attorney from Sacramento, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $21,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and merry Christmas to you, one and all. Good to have you with us on this holiday. Which of these three players--Heather, Jason, or Brian--will get an extra Christmas present by winning the game and going home with a lot of cash? We'll start finding out right now. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round for the three of you. And here come the categories, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NOT TO BE CONFUSED (4/5)
OFFICIAL NATIONAL NAMES (2/5)
UNLIKELY COUNTRY TOP 40 PERFORMERS (2/3)
ADJECTIVES FOR YOUR RESUMÉ (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WHERE DID YOU GO TO SCHOOL? (5/5)
CHARACTER REFERENCES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brian: 9 R, 2 W
Heather: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Jason: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason found the Daily Double on the 7th clue. Brian had $200, Jason had $400, and Heather was at $600. Jason wagered $1,000.

ADJECTIVES FOR YOUR RESUMÉ $1000: This word for one who foresees a need & makes changes in advance is on a list of "overused business buzzwords"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jason: $2,600
Heather: $2,400
Brian: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I think we have a couple of fun-loving challengers on the program today. Heather Seal-Breslin from Texas likes children's jokes.

Heather: I do.

Alex: All right. Give me a couple of examples. Make me laugh.

Heather: Um... well, what did one duck say to the other duck?

Alex: I don't know. What?

Heather: You "quack" me up.

[Laughter]

Heather: And that's one of my--my older daughter, Jane's, favorite... but--

Alex: Yes, but your older daughter is 19. That's a little old.

Heather: [Laughs] She's 7.

Alex: Little old to be doing quack-quack. Give me another one.

Heather: Well, I even like the ones that don't quite work, and this is Leah's, my 6-year-old's, favorite joke. What did one French fry say to the other French fry? "You're a little fry." And it's kind of funny because it's not funny. [Laughs] But she sells it very well.

Alex: I got--I got news for you. When our kids do it, it's always good.

Heather: It's always funny. Exactly.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Jason Zbanek from Bloom Hill--Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.

Jason: Yes.

Alex: You used to cheat on Jeopardy!, didn't you?

Jason: Yes. So, when I was a kid, Jeopardy! was shown on one channel at 7:00 and another channel at 7:30, so I would, uh, sneak upstairs, watch the 7:00 show, and then my parents would come upstairs and watch Jeopardy! at the 7:30 show, so I would get quite a few of the answers right. They never really caught on until it was a nuclear physics category, and I--and I ran the category--

[Laughter]

Jason: Then--then they figured it out.

Alex: Yeah. How--I--I'm sure they figured it out pretty fast--

Jason: Yeah. They--

Alex: --because otherwise you wouldn't be here.

Alex: All right, Brian Hamilton is an attorney from Sacramento. Originally didn't want to be an attorney. Wanted to join the foreign service. What happened? What sidetracked you?

Brian: Well, I decided I wanted to be a lawyer and stay local, uh, but my mom instead joined the foreign service around the time I was in college. And now she's been traveling. She's been to Haiti, Egypt, Iraq.

Alex: So she serves our government--

Brian: Mm-hm.

Alex: --and, uh, you fight the government in lawsuits.

Brian: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.

Alex: All right, that's good. Balances things off, doesn't it?

Brian: Mm-hm, yeah. It's a fair fight.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OFFICIAL NATIONAL NAMES $600: The states of the Pacific nation of Micronesia are officially this adjective, meaning joined together
(Heather: Uh, what is conjoined?)
(Brian: What is federal?)
(Alex: No.)
(Brian: Or [*]?)
(Alex: Jason?)
(Jason: What is united?)

OFFICIAL NATIONAL NAMES $800: You'll find the "Sultanate of" this nation in the Middle East
(Jason: What is Brunei?)

OFFICIAL NATIONAL NAMES $1000: The "Oriental Republic of" this small South American country borders Brazil

NOT TO BE CONFUSED $1000: "Smoke On The Water" is a Deep Purple song; "Knife in the Water" is a movie directed by him
(Alex: One category left in full up there, Brian.)
(Brian: Uh, let's finish CHARACTER REFERENCES for $800.)

UNLIKELY COUNTRY TOP 40 PERFORMERS $800: We hope you know this "Road" crooner of film crooned "Pistol Packin' Mama" with the Andrews Sisters in 1944
(Heather: Uh, who is Bob Hope?)
(Alex: No.)
(Heather: I mean... [*]?)
(Alex: No, you're--I ruled against you.)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Brian: $3,200
Heather: $2,600
Jason: $2,400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THRONE FOR A LOOP (4/5)
SQUARES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BEST PICTURE INITIALS (4/5)
____ LAW (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"EAU" MY WORD (4/5) (Alex: Notice those three letters--E-A-U. Each correct response will either begin with those three letters or, to make it easier, will end with those three letters.)
STAR-STRUCK (2/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Brian: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Heather: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Brian had $3,200, Jason had $5,200, and Heather was at $6,200. Jason wagered $2,000.

SQUARES $1600: Statues of foreign heroes of the Revolutionary War are at each corner of this D.C. square named for one of those heroes

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Brian who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. Brian had $6,400, Jason had $10,400, and Heather was at $8,200. Brian made it a True Daily Double, wagering $6,400.

____ LAW $2000: Jurist Sir Frederick Pollock said it refers to government acts when there is "war within the realm"
(Alex: You are right. Aren't you glad you got that?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"EAU" MY WORD $2000: Swiss philosopher who believed that the individual is essentially good but usually corrupted by society

BEST PICTURE INITIALS $800: 1961:
"W.S.S.", see the Jets soar
(Alex: Yeah, they caught me with that, too, this morning.)

THRONE FOR A LOOP $2000: The silver throne seen here was a gift to this Swedish queen for her 1650 coronation
(Alex: Less than a minute to deal with those four remaining clues, Jason.)

STAR-STRUCK $2000: From the Latin for "nearest" comes the name of this star that's the closest to Earth (oh yeah, after the Sun)
(Jason: What is Alpha Centauri [sen-TORE-eye]?)
(Brian: What is Alpha Centauri [sen-TAR-ee]?)

STAR-STRUCK $800: Cepheids are this type of star whose name suggests that its brightness changes periodically
(Jason: What is a pulsar?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Brian: $15,600
Jason: $12,000
Heather: $7,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL SYMBOLS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Brian: Wager $8,401 to cover Jason.
Jason: You'll want to wager $3,601, and you'll win the game if Brian wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Heather: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Inspired by the 5th letter of the Greek alphabet, its symbol includes 2 horizontal lines to represent stability

FINAL SCORES
Heather: $7,000 - $3,000 = $4,000 (What is the dollar sign - $) (2nd place)
Jason: $12,000 - $10,000 = $2,000 (What is NATO?) (3rd place)
Brian: $15,600 + $8,401 = $24,001 (What is the Euro?) (21202-day champion: $24,001)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jason: $11,600, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 5 W
Brian: $11,200, 17 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Heather: $7,000, 12 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $29,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Brian: 18/59 = .305
Jason: 18/60 = .300
Heather: 12/58 = .207
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ADJECTIVES FOR YOUR RESUMÉ $400: Steadfast in allegiance, like a benevolent "Order of Moose"
(Jason: What is fraternal?)

ADJECTIVES FOR YOUR RESUMÉ $800: An 18th century Christian movement got its name from this adjective meaning regular & systematic
(Brian: What is Methodist?)

CHARACTER REFERENCES $600: Among his siblings are Charlie, Percy, Fred, George & Ginny
(Heather: Uh, who is Ron Beasley? [Quickly correcting herself] Weasley?)

CHARACTER REFERENCES $800: In 1972 disfigured Justin McLeod was "The Man Without a Face"; in 1863 exiled Philip Nolan was "The Man Without" this
(Alex: You are right, with less than a minute to go.)

____ LAW $1600: Eminent domain is a part of this kind of law, named for tangible or intangible things
(Alex: You feel like you're taking a law exam?)

THRONE FOR A LOOP $1200: Pictured here, this Sun King was only 4 when he succeeded his father on the throne

THRONE FOR A LOOP $1600: Franz Ferdinand was heir to the throne of this ruling dynasty when he was assassinated in 1914
(Heather: What is the Ottoman Empire?)

STAR-STRUCK $1600: The crew of the ISS captured a rare occurrence: the shadow near the Earth's horizon is actually a total one of these
(Jason: What is an eclipse?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
proactive
federated
Oman
Uruguay
Roman Polanski
Bing Crosby
Lafayette (Square)
martial law
Jean-Jacques Rousseau
West Side Story
Queen Christina
Proxima Centauri
a variable star
the euro (€)
loyal
methodical
Ron Weasley
a Country
property law
Louis XIV
the Habsburg Dynasty
a solar eclipse

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:16 pm

;)

scaphio

Post by scaphio » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:47 pm

WABC in New York is preempting tonight's episode in favor of network NBA coverage. This is likely the case for many ABC affiliates. Can the episode be posted somewhere on this board afterwards, or placed onto YouTube?

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:29 pm

I thought grand duchy, Larry Ellison, constitutional law, and chrysanthemum throne = Japan were extremely undervalued as top-box clues. Also WAG'd Zorro on Characters for $200.

Tenacious was on the tip of my tongue but I was blanking. However, no way was I getting proactive.

Slightly less disappointed that the Country category went unfinished, since I just plain wasn't getting Bing Crosby in a million years. I'm quite rusty on country before the mid 60s.

Remembering a previous FJ about "Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan" kept me from an 0/5 in that Names category.

Oh shoot, what's the fifth letter in the Greek alphabet anyway? I think it might be epsilon, but I can't remember what it looks like. I had no idea what they even wanted. The name of a country that uses this symbol? The symbol itself? Something else?! What the bleep do they WANT?!?
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:30 pm

Brian had another great game. I got 38 clues correct including West Side Story and Proxima Centauri, but not FJ.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:51 pm

No clue on FJ. Wrote down gay marriage just to have something. (They use the equals sign).

I didn't think it was fair when Alex paused when Heather said Beasley and let her correct herself, but shot down Brian for Methodist before he could fix it.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:01 pm

This was a good game and an enjoyable board.

I lost out on two 50 50 90 guesses in the "Stars" category: "solar flare" instead of "solar wind" and "alpha centauri" instead of "proxima centauri." Of course, I wouldn't have missed the latter if I had just read the clue correctly; I can never keep the former straight, though.

I had no clue on FJ. I knew that epsilon was the fifth letter of the Greek alphabet, but that did me no good. I was also thinking more in terms of organizations, and went with the IMF. I am probably lucky that I even got that close.

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:34 pm

35 right.

Confuse- 2; Name- 4; Country- 2; Resume- 1; School- 3; Ref- 4
Loop- 4; Square- 4; Picture- 5; _Law- 4; "Eau"- 2; Star- 0

Lach trash: "federated", "Oman", "Rousseau" , "West Side Story"

I did not have a guess in the time allotted for FJ. However, I knew that epsilon was the fifth letter and once the dollar sign was shown to be wrong, I got an idea and went with the euro.
Last edited by mxc_takeshi on Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:35 pm

I wonder if the hit-rate for this FJ goes along the lines of who did or did not major in the sciences. It was an instaget, but I've spent far too much time staring at epsilons while working through math proofs.

countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Judges?

Post by countyguy » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Would "Austro-Hungarian Empire" be acceptable for the Franz Ferdinand clue?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Judges?

Post by Bamaman » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:12 pm

countyguy wrote:Would "Austro-Hungarian Empire" be acceptable for the Franz Ferdinand clue?
I think they wanted the family name.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Judges?

Post by dhkendall » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:23 pm

Bamaman wrote:
countyguy wrote:Would "Austro-Hungarian Empire" be acceptable for the Franz Ferdinand clue?
I think they wanted the family name.
Indeed, I was ready to accept my identical answer until I rewound and retread the question.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:29 pm

Bamaman wrote:No clue on FJ. Wrote down gay marriage just to have something. (They use the equals sign).
Not just gay marriage, equality in all its forms (not just equality of sexual orientation, but since the symbol is used primarily for that I'll allow that abbreviating). Right for people not to be fired from their job based on sexual orientation? Equality symbol. Right for people to partake of good or services regardless of sexual orientation? Equality symbol. Right for people to adopt children regardless of sexual orientation? Equality symbol.

Again, I was reading one about the deliberate adding of an equals Sign to the euro so that was foremost in my brain while I was trying to think of the fifth letter (was pretty sure it was epsilon, but not positive) and what epsilon looked like (hadn't a clue, looked it up during reveal)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

MSTieScott
Contributor

Post by MSTieScott » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:40 pm

I was left wondering why the throne category wasn't called "Game of Thrones," but I see via the Archive that the show already did that in 2012.

Alex inadvertently helped me in Final Jeopardy! when he remarked that International Symbols was "a new category." With that comment fresh in my mind, the first thing I thought of was the euro -- I may not have gotten to the correct response if Alex hadn't nudged my train of thought in that direction.

clprez

Post by clprez » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:31 pm

I must have misheard FJ. I thought the equal sign was part of the letter in the greek alphabet, not the symbol itself. I thought I knew that epsilon was the 5th letter, but it look nothing like the Euro sign, nor does it have anything that could resemble an equal sign. The Euro looks like a C with an equal sign it it. What that has to do with epsilon I don't know except that they both start with E.

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:36 pm

clprez, the Euro symbol looks like the "lunate" epsilon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epsilon

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:41 pm

FJ! summary handled up top.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:44 pm

Winchell Factor wrote:clprez, the Euro symbol looks like the "lunate" epsilon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epsilon

Can you tell us your real name, so I know who to root for tomorrow?

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:46 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:clprez, the Euro symbol looks like the "lunate" epsilon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epsilon

Can you tell us your real name, so I know who to root for tomorrow?
I'm Vaughn Winchell. I'll be playing from the 3rd position.

And thanks for the support. :)