Friday, December 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6970, 2014-12-26

CONTESTANTS
Vaughn Winchell, a stay-at-home dad and graduate student from Columbia, Maryland
Amy Williamson, an English teacher from Hickory, North Carolina
Brian Hamilton, an attorney from Sacramento, California (whose 2-day cash winnings total $45,202)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert, and, ladies and gentlemen. As befits the season, this has been a week of giving on Jeopardy! with our champions getting big prizes. Big prizes. Amy and Vaughn would like to share some of that cash, I know. So, Brian, good luck to you and your challengers as we move into the Jeopardy! Round, which today features these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ABBREVIATED MAGAZINES (5/5)
3-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
FOILED (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
DOO-WOP (5/5)
THE LAND OF ... (5/5)
MILK & HONEY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brian: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Vaughn: 8 R, 0 W
Amy: 9 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Brian: $3,200
Vaughn: $2,000
Amy: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Vaughn Winchell is a stay-at-home dad who gives bar mitzvah lessons.

Vaughn: I do. I do. Although when I was the age of my students, I was an altar boy, which--

Alex: Now you're starting to confuse me.

Vaughn: Yeah, well, I converted, and I thought that altar-boy thing made a really great story until I met a woman in my synagogue who used to be a nun. So now I feel totally outclassed.

[Laughter]

Alex: She as confused as I am?

Vaughn: No, no, no. She's worked it out.

Alex: Okay, good for her.

Alex: Amy Williamson, English teacher. We've all--well, not all of us, but many people have seen the great Broadway show Phantom of the Opera. One of the most impressive scenes in that musical is the crashing of the chandelier. You were involved in building one of those chandeliers for the musical, am I right?

Amy: I was. In 2008, Elon University was one of two colleges that was given the rights to perform Phantom of the Opera at a collegiate level, and I spent about a month of 6-day weeks, 12 hours a day, building a replica chandelier that was wired and 6 feet in diameter made from plywood and a bunch of other materials, and we had to have it collapsible. And then we also built a crashed chandelier to go on the stage.

Alex: How did it compare in size to the ones they were using on Broadway?

Amy: I don't knowabout Broadway. I think it was about 1/6 scale to the original Paris opera house. But we named it "Magnus".

Alex: "Magnus"?

Amy: Yes.

Alex: Okay. All righty.

Alex: Brian Hamilton is an attorney from Sacramento, California. You've heard me talk to the audiences on our stage here, and quite often they ask me when I'm not doing the show, what do I do? And I say I'm working at home. I like to fix things. You, even though you're an attorney, like to do that around the house, too?

Brian: Yeah, my dad's a mechanic, so I've always been pretty handy. Once I bought a lawnmower at a garage sale for like $5. It wasn't working, so I diagnosed the carburetor was broken, spent a whole day fixing this little, tiny carburetor, got it running, and it caught on fire. So my friend Marcus started flapping it with the leaf bag. That caught on fire. So I calmly put it out with the hose and had to buy a new lawnmower.

Alex: You're not as good as I am as Mr. Fix-Up.

Brian: No.

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amy found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Brian had $5,200, Amy had $3,200, and Vaughn was at $3,800. Amy wagered $2,400.

FOILED $800: This Chicago detective foiled a plot to kill president-elect Lincoln
[Amy shakes her head]
Alex: Nothing coming?
Amy: No.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Brian: $6,400
Vaughn: $5,000
Amy: $2,400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HOW IT WORKS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
AMERICAN LIT (4/5)
CITY-TITLED MOVIES (5/5)
THERE'S A J IN THERE SOMEWHERE (5/5)
LEGION OF HONOR RECIPIENTS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
3 DIMENSIONAL (3/5) (Alex: Things that are...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Vaughn: 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Amy: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Brian: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brian snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Brian had $8,000, Amy had $9,600, and Vaughn was at $14,600. Brian wagered $6,000.

HOW IT WORKS $2000: Glasses work by adjusting this optical process, also the name of the test that determines your prescription
(Brian: What is parallax?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Vaughn who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Brian had $2,000, Amy had $8,400, and Vaughn was at $17,400. Vaughn wagered $400.

LEGION OF HONOR RECIPIENTS $800: In July 1906 this man was formally reinstated in the French Army & decorated with the Legion of Honor

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AMERICAN LIT $1200: A real disaster inspired Longfellow's ballad about "The Wreck Of" this schooner
(Alex: The Wreck of [*].)

LEGION OF HONOR RECIPIENTS $2000: Though he once looked down on it, this "Symphonie Fantastique" composer always wore his Legion of Honor ribbon
(Alex: And the composer was [*].)

3 DIMENSIONAL $1600: The 1805 Battle of Austerlitz was AKA the "Battle Of The Emperors" as it had the armies of France, Austria & this imperial nation
(Vaughn: What is the Ottoman Empire?)
(Brian: What is Prussia?)

3 DIMENSIONAL $1200: There are 8 of these on a Steinway grand, but only 3 in a grouping of composers made up by Hans Von Bulow
(Amy: What are octaves?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Vaughn: $19,000 (lock game)
Amy: $7,600
Brian: $2,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AFRICAN FLAGS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Vaughn: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Amy: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,999 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Brian: You've no hope of catching up... unless Amy does something stupid. So risk $2,799.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The flag of Burundi has stars representing the Twa & these 2 other ethnic groups much in the news in the 1990s

FINAL SCORES
Brian: $2,800 + $2,799 = $5,599 (Who are the Tutsi & Hutu?) (3rd place)
Amy: $7,600 + $1,999 = $9,599 (Who are the Hutu & Tutsi?) (2nd place)
Vaughn: $19,000 + $3,500 = $22,500 (Who are Hutu & Tutsi?) (New champion: $22,500)
(Alex: In the news for a lot of bad reasons.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Vaughn: $19,400, 22 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Amy: $10,000, 16 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Brian: $8,800, 17 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $38,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Vaughn: 23/59 = .390
Brian: 18/59 = .305
Amy: 17/59 = .288
Team: 58/63 = .921

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE LAND OF ... $1000: "The Thunder Dragon":
This mountainous central Asian country
(Amy: What is Mongolia?)

3-LETTER WORDS $1000: Term for the dot shown here

THERE'S A J IN THERE SOMEWHERE $1200: It's the type of practice facility seen here

THERE'S A J IN THERE SOMEWHERE $2000: Utterly hopeless or contemptible, it often precedes "poverty" or "horror"
(Brian: [no response])

HOW IT WORKS $800: Tape a coiled wire to an empty box, add a magnet behind the coil & you've created a simple one of these audio devices
(Amy: What is a radio?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Allan Pinkerton
refraction
Dreyfus
the Hesparus
Hector Berlioz
Russia
B's
Tutsi & Hutu
Bhutan
a pip
a dojo (judo studio accepted)
abject
a speaker

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:30 pm

:)

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:27 pm

Winchell Factor owned it today.

Ran Magazines, got all but "roe" in 3 Letter.

I said "prom" for "hop" on Doo-Wop at $600, and knew "teenager in love" but couldn't pull it in time.

Clammed on the middle 3 in Land Of ("It can't be Iceland; 'ice' is in the clue!" Damn it, writers, stop doing that...), but no way was I getting Bhutan.

Stethescope was by far the easiest in Legion of Honor.

City Movies was entirely over my head.

Was anyone else confused by 3 Dimensional for $1200? I couldn't even tell what they were asking for, and Alex didn't really elucidate after the TS. I'm guessing "Three B's"?

Yeah, I'm marking this down as a "no" before the clue even comes up. NHO Burundi, much less Tutsi or Hutu. This was a triple get?!?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:35 pm

This was a well-played game with just a couple of triple stumpers. Congrats to Vaughn on the win; I hope that you (Vaughn) will comment in this thread about this game. I thought that these boards were easier than usual. I got 44 clues correct including Russia and the three B's. I also got FJ instantly.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:38 pm

African Flags
The flag of Burundi has stars representing the Twa & these 2 other ethnic groups much in the news in the 1990s.

SpoilerShow
What are the Tutsi and the Hutu?
Vaughn Winchell: $19,000+$3,500=$22,500...now a 1-day champion with $22,500
Amy Williamson: $7,600+$1,999=$9,599
Brian Hamilton: $2,800+$2,799=$5,599

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:49 pm

Vaughn was introduced as a stay at home dad. I wish he, Heather and Allison could have all wound up in the same game this week. That would have been cool to hear all three as stay at home parents.

This is the season for later in life Jews. Vaughn is converted from Catholicism. (He needs to get his ex-nun friend to take the test). Earlier this week we had someone who went to rabbi school as a second career and a few weeks back the boxing writer said he had his bar mitzvah as an adult.

Anyway, congrats to Vaughn on a well played game. No chance for me on FJ.
Last edited by Bamaman on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:54 pm

Congrats on the well-deserved win Vaughn.

Two ethnic groups in the news in the '90s, in a country bordering Rwanda? No really, writers, you shouldn't have.

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:24 pm

I was out so I didn't see Jeopardy, but, reading the FJ clue on here, it's an Instaget for me.

Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:25 pm

Before my time on FJ, but the rest of the board was relatively ez pz outside that one award category.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:44 pm

Congratulations, Vaughn!

StacalVA757
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by StacalVA757 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:53 pm

Would someone repeat the 3 dimension question about the 3 Bs :?: I'm trying to get the wording straight.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:59 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote: Was anyone else confused by 3 Dimensional for $1200? I couldn't even tell what they were asking for, and Alex didn't really elucidate after the TS. I'm guessing "Three B's"?
I was confused until I heard what the reveal was. I would dare to say the writers got a little over creative with that one.
I would have to see the clue again to be sure but I think you are refering to "A piano has these" etc.
The Bs would mean the keys on the piano that represent a B note. Amy was sort of on the right track, and I wonder if the judges were deliberating whether to reverse her neg during the next several clues.

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:26 pm

Abraxas wrote:This was a well-played game with just a couple of triple stumpers. Congrats to Vaughn on the win; I hope that you (Vaughn) will comment in this thread about this game. I thought that these boards were easier than usual. I got 44 clues correct including Russia and the three B's. I also got FJ instantly.
I still have guests in the house, but I'll be happy to discuss later. (Just ask my family. They're sick of hearing me discuss!)

Thanks to those who've had kind words.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:44 pm

StacalVA757 wrote:Would someone repeat the 3 dimension question about the 3 Bs :?: I'm trying to get the wording straight.
3 DIMENSIONAL $1200: There are 8 of these on a Steinway grand, but only 3 in a grouping of composers made up by Hans von Bulow

Amy's octaves were 100% wrong and there was nothing to reconsider on the ruling.

If you are going to have a miss then make it a good one.

FOILED $200: 3 Virginia men convicted in 2004 of supporting holy war overseas practiced using this messy gun game

Mark Barrett: What is Russian Roulette? :oops:

The Hesperus stumper and Pinkerton DD gave me better results.

Brian unable to convert the refraction DD cost Vaughn about $7000. Winning $22,500 probably makes it easier for Vaughn to have no complaints. :) Well done on the win and congrats on adding another notch for Slam's Rule.

DHK got his Boxing Day dream category today. For me I caught a break being able to translate it into a movie clue and not geography, African history, flags, world events etc. If I had not seen the Don Cheadle movie it's a stumper. Having seen Hotel Rwanda I had enough recall to work it out.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:58 pm

I also said Russian Roulette. But that game is only messy if you lose. Well, I guess it is messy for the winners since they have to clean up.

clprez

Post by clprez » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:13 pm

Congratulations Vaughn! Your Q&A with Alex was interesting.

I really enjoyed watching this game. It moved along quite well, and all players had some good gets.

I had no clue on FJ, so I was surprised that it was a triple get.

ÕώÕ
Contributor

Post by ÕώÕ » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:21 pm

Sad to see that Brian Hamilton did not win his 3rd day. He got all 3 of his FJ's correct though. Congrats to Vaughn to his victory.

We have not had a 3 day champion since Ryan Alley lost the week before the ToC. And we haven't had a 5 day champion since Julia Collins lost almost half a year ago...

Did not know the answer to final jeopardy. Know not very much about flags.
ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ

AgentSeto
Contributor

Post by AgentSeto » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:10 am

Russian Roulette was what I said, too. That Three-Dimensional $1200 also threw me, but I was surprised she tried octaves.

As for FJ, the first thing that came to mind was the corresponding card from Cards Against Humanity, which is just about the only reason I knew it.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:24 am

Category 13 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Was anyone else confused by 3 Dimensional for $1200? I couldn't even tell what they were asking for, and Alex didn't really elucidate after the TS. I'm guessing "Three B's"?
I was confused until I heard what the reveal was. I would dare to say the writers got a little over creative with that one.
I would have to see the clue again to be sure but I think you are refering to "A piano has these" etc.
The Bs would mean the keys on the piano that represent a B note. Amy was sort of on the right track, and I wonder if the judges were deliberating whether to reverse her neg during the next several clues.
As was pointed out, Amy was on the right track, but "octaves" only fit one part of the clue, they in no way fit the "group of 3 [...] by Hans von Bulow" part, and there was absolutely no way a reconsider was even considered. (Myself, I remember the 3 Bs from when I took piano lessons as a kid/teen, but even then, it wasn't until the last possible second that it clicked for me.)

You want to talk about reconsidered calls, I thought that the "judo studio" answer was quite crafty, it obviously wasn't what they were looking for, as J! usually looks for the more technical name for things, but the clues are usually worded to only lead to that - I suppose the figured they'd let the category name do the heavy lifting on that one, but it came back to bite them. :)
MarkBarrett wrote:DHK got his Boxing Day dream category today. For me I caught a break being able to translate it into a movie clue and not geography, African history, flags, world events etc. If I had not seen the Don Cheadle movie it's a stumper. Having seen Hotel Rwanda I had enough recall to work it out.
Was wondering if someone would think of me. :) Yeah, I let out a "HELL-o!" when the category was revealed, and yeah I was thinking if I was Winchell Factor (i.e., with a lock, but not a huge one), the temptation to Clavin would be almost unbearable. The clue wasn't as easy as I thought it would be (and stumbled over myself at the beginning saying "Hutsis and Tutus") but got it eventually. Interestingly, I didn't get it from my vexillological knowledge, I knew Burundi's flag has three stars, but I had no idea what the stars stood for. Instead, I solved in in much the same way that grindcore did.
ÕώÕ wrote:Julia Collins lost almost half a year ago...
Well, now I feel old. Seems like yesterday. Damn kids, get off my lawn and give me back my Geritol!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings