Monday, December 29, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 29, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6971, 2014-12-29

CONTESTANTS
Ramona Bartos, a historic preservation administrator from Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Thomas Todd, a restaurant manager from Santa Cruz, California
Vaughn Winchell, a stay-at-home dad and graduate student from Columbia, Maryland (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,500)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our program. Last week was kind of a celebration of the holiday season here on Jeopardy!, with each of our winners averaging over $20,000 per victory. Will that continue as we wrap up the year and move into 2015? We'll start finding out right now. Vaughn, Thomas, and Ramona, good luck. Here we go. Now let's take a look at the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MEET THE DAKOTAS! (4/5)
SECOND LETTER "Z" (5/5)
AROUND THE HOUSE (1/2)
NOVELS BY CHAPTER (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CLASSIC GAME SHOWS (5/5)
LAWFUL IDIOMS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Vaughn: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Thomas: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Ramona: 2 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Vaughn found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Vaughn had $200, Thomas was in the red with -$200, and Ramona had nothing in the bank. Vaughn wagered $1,000.

NOVELS BY CHAPTER $800: The first of a "Saga":
"Blood Type"
(Vaughn: I haven't a clue.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Vaughn: $1,200
Thomas: $1,000
Ramona: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ramona Bartos is a lady from North Carolina with an unusual hobby.

Ramona: Yes.

Alex: And I'd like you to tell us about it.

Ramona: Well, when I get home from work, Alex, I like to look at European royalty, so that way I get current events, fashion, and history all at one time.

Alex: Okay. Well, good for you.

Ramona: Thank you.

Alex: Thomas Todd is a restaurant manager from Santa Cruz who was once a bat boy and a mascot for a minor league team. Now, being a bat boy, I imagine, is kind of fun, but what was the mascot you portrayed?

Thomas: I was a large elephant named Peanut. I could not talk, and I was forced to dance. And I'm allergic to peanuts.

[Laughter]

Alex: Now--okay. Now, when your team scored, what did you do? Is that when you did your dance?

Thomas: I had very large feet. I would stomp about on the dugout.

[Laughter]

Alex: On the dugout?

Thomas: On the dugout. Never fall in, though.

Alex: Well, good for you. Did they pay you for that?

Thomas: Oh, yeah--peanuts.

[Laughter]

Alex: But you hate peanuts. You're allergic to peanuts.

Alex: Vaughn Winchell is our stay-at-home-dad champion, and your family was unique in American television in that you were a Nielsen family at one time, but that didn't last--why?

Vaughn: We were. It was back in the days when the Nielsen organization gave out paper journals for you to keep, and we found it a great deal of pressure. We'd sit on the couch, and we'd think, "I'd really like to watch this rerun of Bewitched, but I'd be kind of ashamed to write that down."

Alex: Aha.

Vaughn: So we actually watched much less television that week.

Alex: Well, now, of course, Nielsen monitors everything electronically, so you don't even know.

Vaughn: It's a brave new world.

Alex: It certainly is.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NOVELS BY CHAPTER $400: The first of 3:
"The Breaking of the Fellowship"
(Vaughn: What is Lord of the Rings?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Vaughn: Trilogy?)
(Alex: No.)
(Thomas: Oh, sorry.)

NOVELS BY CHAPTER $1000: By Dickens:
"Wickfield and Heep"
(Vaughn: What is Great Expectations?)

MEET THE DAKOTAS! $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Deadwood, SD.) I'm standing in this historic Deadwood Cemetery, named for the Jerusalem hill on which Solomon built his temple; western legends Wild Bill Hickock & Calamity Jane were laid to rest here
(Ramona: What is Gethsemane?)

AROUND THE HOUSE $400: A Home Depot how-to video on this says "one of the easiest ways to save is by making our homes airtight"
(Ramona: What is energy efficiency?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Vaughn: $3,200
Thomas: $2,400
Ramona: -$200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 29, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE NATURE OF THINGS (5/5)
ART & HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HAVE A "COW" (5/5)
WORST PICTURE OF THE YEAR RAZZIE AWARDS (4/5)
THE BRIT ON THE BANKNOTE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ON THE LONGEST EASTERN BORDER (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Thomas: 13 R, 3 W
Vaughn: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Ramona: 7 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Vaughn snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Vaughn had $5,200, Thomas had $2,800, and Ramona had a deficit with -$200. Vaughn wagered $1,400.

THE BRIT ON THE BANKNOTE $1600: In 2017 this author will replace Charles Darwin on the tenner with an adaptation of a portrait by her sister
(Vaughn: Who is... Charlotte Brontë?)
(Alex: No, you picked the wrong family.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ramona who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Vaughn had $11,800, Thomas had $10,800, and Ramona was at $6,600. Ramona wagered $4,000.

ART & HISTORY $2000: Thomas Hovenden depicted an 1859 scene from U.S. history in the last moments of this man

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORST PICTURE OF THE YEAR RAZZIE AWARDS $2000: This 2003 Razzie winner starred Oscar winners Al Pacino & Ben Affleck
(Alex: And, Thomas, I have a feeling that you saw most of those films.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ramona: $12,600
Vaughn: $11,800
Thomas: $8,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BOOK DEDICATIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Ramona: Wager $11,001 to cover Vaughn.
Vaughn: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Thomas, hoping that you give the correct response and Ramona doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $5,801 to cover Thomas's doubled score, but no more than $10,200 if you want to top Ramona on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $2,999 and win if both Ramona and Thomas miss Final.
Thomas: If you think Vaughn is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $2,800 to beat Ramona and Vaughn on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Vaughn is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $3,001 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Vaughn) and $8,800 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 1853 dedication of "12 Years a Slave" was to this woman author "whose name... is identified with the Great Reform"

FINAL SCORES
Thomas: $8,800 + $4,000 = $12,800 (Who is Stowe) (2nd place)
Vaughn: $11,800 + $5,801 = $17,601 (Who was Stowe) (22501-day champion: $17,601)
Ramona: $12,600 - $12,497 = $103 (Who is Dix) (3rd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Vaughn: $14,200, 21 R, 6 W (including 2 DDs)
Ramona: $10,600, 9 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Thomas: $8,800, 20 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $33,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Vaughn: 22/60 = .367
Thomas: 21/58 = .362
Ramona: 9/59 = .153
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CLASSIC GAME SHOWS $200: He's the one, the only--the funnyman seen here hosting "You Bet Your Life"

CLASSIC GAME SHOWS $600: That's yours truly back when I was hosting the "Classic" version of this show

SECOND LETTER "Z" $200: This heavily forested mountain range extends southward from St. Louis

SECOND LETTER "Z" $400: Named for its designer, it's a compact machine gun popular with police & special forces
(Ramona: What is the Thompson?)
(Alex: [*]--remember, second letter in the correct response must be a "Z". Vaughn, back to you.)

SECOND LETTER "Z" $600: Native to hilly regions of Asia, these flowering shrubs can be quite fragrant & hardy

SECOND LETTER "Z" $1000: Exiled with many others in 597 B.C., he predicted the downfall of Jerusalem
(Vaughn: Sorry.)

LAWFUL IDIOMS $1000: Got no case? "You don't have" this, so there's nothing to physically hold you up
(Vaughn: What is standing?)
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

ART & HISTORY $400: Charles Le Brun portrays Alexander entering this ancient city; hey, are those hanging gardens?

THE NATURE OF THINGS $800: Crabs fear this type of shrimp, whose name is also on a praying insect; its punch has the power of a .22-caliber bullet

THE NATURE OF THINGS $1600: Catatumbo lighting can flash 40,000 times up to 300 nights a year over Lake Maracaibo in this country

HAVE A "COW" $1600: Viral disease used by Jenner to inoculate humans
(Thomas: What is mad cow disease?)

ART & HISTORY $800: Here, Manet shows Maximilian abandoned by the French who crowned him, being shot just north of this world capital

ON THE LONGEST EASTERN BORDER $1600: ...of Cambodia
(Thomas: What is Laos?)

ART & HISTORY $1600: Mather Brown's depiction of the Battle of the Nile vividly shows this admiral's victory over the French
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

THE NATURE OF THINGS $2000: Regarding a rock, "A" is for this term meaning consisting of a mixture of minerals separable by mechanical means
(Thomas: What is asphalt?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Twilight
The Fellowship of the Ring
David Copperfield
Mount Moriah
weather-stripping
Jane Austen
(John) Brown
Gigli
Harriet Beecher Stowe
Groucho Marx
Concentration
the Ozarks
an Uzi
an azelea
Ezekiel
legs to stand on
Babylon
a mantis
Venezuela
cowpox
Mexico City
Vietnam
Nelson
aggregate

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:52 pm

Book Dedications
The 1853 dedication of "12 Years a Slave" was to this woman author "Whose name...is identified with the great reform".

SpoilerShow
Who is Harriet Beecher Stowe? Ramona said Dix.

Ramona Bartos: $12,600-$12,497=$103
Vaughn Winchell: $11,800+$5,801=$17,601...now a 2-day champion with $40,101
Thomas Todd: $8,800+$4,000=$12,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MDCSWildcats86
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MDCSWildcats86 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:52 pm

Anyone other than me have a flashback to WBSM on that $1600 clue in HAVE A "COW"?

PS: No guess on FJ

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:04 pm

I'm sure many boardies did well on the "Classic Game Shows" (or whatever it was called) category. (Or, better than me anyways, getting 3/5 ($200, $600, and $800, rest were clams))

FJ! was one of those "hey, where did *that* answer come from?" moments when I surprised myself by blurting out the correct answer despite foreseeing disaster.

Could one of the vikings explain Winchell's wager to me? To my incredibly untrained eye, he bet about $5K more than he should. (Wagering theory is what I need to brush up on the most if I get called, so any help I can get at any time is always appreciated!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:27 pm

I just realized I'm negging a lot more than usual. My counts since the 19th are 3, 4, 2, 2, 2, 3, and 3 today.

"Oh, shoot, which Lord of the RINGS book would mention FELLOWSHIP?" Can't see the forest for the trees. I could've gotten all but David Copperfield in that category, but they just weren't coming.

Easily ran Game Shows. Took me a long time, but his rebus said "Torn between two lovers" (T+oar+n beet+wee+n two loaf+fur+z").

I have NHO the first three Lawful Idioms at all (jump bail, cook the books, brush with the law), but I have heard "slap on the wrist" and "leg to stand on". I clammed on the latter, as I didn't think it had anything to do with the law.

Funny that "leg to stand on" and "Wounded Knee" were consecutive, too.

Weather stripping could've used a boatload more TOM.

====

I performed exactly the same as Thomas in Razzie. Wouldn't have gotten Gigli because I didn't know Pacino was in it.

Mantis shrimp look and sound freakin' AWESOME.

====

No guess on FJ! I couldn't think of anyone that far back and overlooked Stowe because I thought she was later.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:28 pm

So, why was "standing" no good?

Instaget FJ.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Took me a long time, but his rebus said "Torn between two lovers" (T+oar+n beat+wee+n two loaf+fur+z").
"beet"

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:35 pm

Congratulations to Vaughn on another nice win. All three contestants started slowly, but then got much better with Ramona taking the lead going into FJ. Unfortunately for her, she didn't get FJ. I got 37 clues correct including weatherstripping and FJ.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:38 pm

econgator wrote:So, why was "standing" no good?
Presumably because it's not an idiom?
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Took me a long time, but his rebus said "Torn between two lovers" (T+oar+n beat+wee+n two loaf+fur+z").
"beet"
I knew that. I'm having a nasty case of tpyo tyop misspelling lately.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:55 pm

No offense to Ramona but I was somewhat happy to see her lose because of her failing to take the lead on that DD.

Plus, our guy won. Good job, our guy.

I sucked today, but I did get Gigli. I knew it was gonna come up in that category.

Dudd
Valued Contributor

Post by Dudd » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:59 pm

grindcore wrote:No offense to Ramona but I was somewhat happy to see her lose because of her failing to take the lead on that DD..
Haha, same, was rooting quite hard against her in FJ.

HeatherBreslin
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by HeatherBreslin » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:08 pm

I only caught the end of this, but I was so happy for Ramona when she caught up and took the lead. Also one of the nicest people ever. Still I'm glad for Vaughn and his second win; congrats man!

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:13 pm

37 right.

Dakota- 2; Z- 4; House- 0; Chapter- 4; Shows- 2; Idioms- 4
Nature- 2; Art- 5; Cow- 3; Razzie- 4; Brit- 2; Eastern- 5

Lach trash: "Fellowship of the Ring", "Twilight"- DD, "Gigli"

Instaget FJ- thought of Uncle Tom's Cabin (1852).

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:23 pm

dhkendall wrote: Could one of the vikings explain Winchell's wager to me? To my incredibly untrained eye, he bet about $5K more than he should. (Wagering theory is what I need to brush up on the most if I get called, so any help I can get at any time is always appreciated!)
Here's a hint: look at 3rd place's score before FJ. Then look at Vaughn's score after FJ. See if you see any connection. There was nothing complicated going on with that wager.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:48 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Could one of the vikings explain Winchell's wager to me? To my incredibly untrained eye, he bet about $5K more than he should. (Wagering theory is what I need to brush up on the most if I get called, so any help I can get at any time is always appreciated!)
Here's a hint: look at 3rd place's score before FJ. Then look at Vaughn's score after FJ. See if you see any connection. There was nothing complicated going on with that wager.
Ah, yup makes sense now. (Forgot that second place should be concerned about third, was just thinking of his score relative to first). Hey, *someone* has to be the TPH of wagers!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:33 pm

Still watching off the DVR, but Vaughn should not feel bad at ALL about clamming on the first DD.

Edit: Curse my spelling

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:49 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:I just realized I'm negging a lot more than usual
You and me both, dude!

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:53 pm

econgator wrote:So, why was "standing" no good?
I asked about that at a commercial break. The clue--I don't remember the exact wording--asked for a figure of speech pertaining to a person who has a flimsy case. Standing, the judges said, is a technical legal term for whether a person has any business being in the case in the first place. I heard that and said, "Yeah, that's a really fair answer."
Last edited by Winchell Factor on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:57 pm

HeatherBreslin wrote:I only caught the end of this, but I was so happy for Ramona when she caught up and took the lead. Also one of the nicest people ever. Still I'm glad for Vaughn and his second win; congrats man!
I would've been very happy for Ramona if she'd won. I really like her, too. But I will admit, I would not have been as happy for her as I am for me. ;)

Thanks for the kind words, Heather.

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:59 pm

Shaymin wrote:Still watching off the DVR, but Vaughn should not feel bad at ALL about clamming on the first DD.

Edit: Curse my spelling
Thanks, Shaymin. I swear, at that moment, I felt like I was probably the only person in the room who hadn't known that answer. Well, maybe me and a handful of audience members from the nearby retirement home....