Think Different 224: Airplane!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

hscer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Think Different 224: Airplane!

Post by hscer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:14 pm

Think Different, what is it? It's a game where you try to pick answers nobody will think of, but that's not important right--well, it actually is kind of important right now.

Never seen Airplane!? Don't worry! While this TD is named for my favorite movie of all time, only the first question demands at least a cursory knowledge of it to answer correctly. Questions after the first one are only (very) tangentially related to the film, except for the bonuses and a partial exception on the 14th question. (That said, watch it already!)

RULES
1. Send your answers in a private message to me.
2. The deadline to enter is 11:00 PM Eastern Standard Time on January 6, 2015.
3. Your score on each question is the number of people including yourself to give your answer, unless your answer is incorrect, in which case you score 1.5 times the most popular correct answer. (Half-points will be kept, not rounded.) Scores for each question will be added together and the lowest score wins. Ties will be broken by number of singletons (answers given only by one person), and then by submission order.
4. You may order the STEAK (or DROP) on one question for 0 points. You may order the FISH (or SHEEP) on one question for a score equal to that of the most common answer. If you never order the steak, you will have 3 points taken off your score at the end of the game. If you never order the fish, you will have 3 points added to your score at the end of the game.
5. No research!
6. PM me for clarifications if you risk or can't avoid giving away answers. If you are sure you won't give away answers, you may ask in the thread.

Before getting to the questions, here are your categories:
1. Airplane!
2. Movie Villains
3. Wars
4. Ronald Reagan
5. Presidents and Vice Presidents
6. Baseball
7. U.S. Cities
8. State Birds
9. Dinosaurs and Headgear
10. Disco
11. Presidential Medal of Freedom
12. The Metric System
13. Tour de France
14. Foreign Languages
15. Famous Shirleys
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer

hscer

Re: Think Different 224: Airplane!

Post by hscer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:23 pm

QUESTIONS

1. Name a first-billed cast member, or one of the directors, of the 1980 spoof Airplane!

This question has 17 answers. There are 11 actors, 1 "actor" (and I don't mean the person who played Murdock), 3 actresses, and 3 directors. One of the directors was also a first-billed cast member, hence 17 possible answers, not 18. None of the 17 correct answers are Ethel Merman or Howard Jarvis.

2. The opening sequence before the title credits is a parody of the 1975 film Jaws, which grossed $470 million (unadjusted) on a budget of $9 million. Adjusted for inflation, Jaws is still the 7th highest grossing film of all time in North America. But that's not important right now.

In 2003, the American Film Institute ranked the shark in Jaws as the 18th greatest movie villain of all time. Name one of the 17 ranked above it. Below is the list of films from which the 17 correct answers come. This is just for your assistance; you do not need to match the villain with the film.

2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, Chinatown, A Clockwork Orange, Double Indemnity, The Empire Strikes Back, The Exorcist, Fatal Attraction, The Godfather Part II, It’s a Wonderful Life, Misery, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Psycho, Schindler’s List, The Silence of the Lambs, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Wizard of Oz

3. The protagonist of the film fought in "the war," but which war is never identified by name.

Name a country on which the U.S. has formally declared war as well as the war in which it occurred. Each combination is a separate answer. (11 answers)

The U.S. has declared war in 5 different conflicts. In three of the five, the U.S. declared war on exactly one country. Only one country has formally been at war with the U.S. in multiple conflicts.

4. "I haven't felt this awful since we saw that Ronald Reagan film."

Name any full-length feature film in which Ronald Reagan was credited as an actor. (53 answers)

5. "He's alive but unconscious."
"Just like Gerald Ford."

Gerald Ford, despite having been a great collegiate athlete, got a reputation for being clumsy, hence the joke. While the reputation wasn't entirely unearned, it was aided by an impression done by Chevy Chase on Saturday Night Live. But that's not important right now.

Ford was appointed Vice President and assumed the office of President, having been elected to neither. Name a person who was elected at least once to BOTH offices, President and Vice President. (8 answers)

6. "Now pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon, Manny Mota, Mota, Mota, Mota..."

Pedro Borbon was an MLB pitcher from 1969-80, and Manny Mota a position player from 1962-82. They were never teammates. Only Mota ever made an All Star Game, representing the Los Angeles Dodgers of the National League in 1973.

Name a position player or pitcher to represent the National League in the 1973 All Star Game. This means they were on the roster, not necessarily that they played. (30 answers)

7. "It was a rough place, the seediest dive on the wharf. Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It was worse than Detroit."

In 1980, when the film came out, still only 5 U.S. cities were larger than Detroit, but even back then it did not have exactly have a great reputation. By the 2010 census, the number of larger U.S. cities had increased to 17.

Name a city larger than Detroit in the 2010 U.S. Census. The Census counts population within the city limits, not metropolitan area. (17 answers)

The largest city still smaller than Detroit as of the 2010 census was El Paso, Texas.

8. "He's a menace to himself and everything else in the air...Yes, birds too."

Name the state bird of one of these states or groups of states. Provide the letter and the bird in your answer. You don't need to give the exact species (i.e. if "Southwestern Crow" were an answer, just "crow" would be accepted). (12 answers)

A. Illinois, Ohio, Virginia
B. Arkansas, Florida, Texas
C. Connecticut, Michigan, Wisconsin
D. Kansas, Nebraska, Oregon
E. Maine, Massachusetts
F. Missouri, New York
G. Hawaii
H. Louisiana
I. Minnesota
J. New Mexico
K. Delaware
L. Maryland

9. "What do you make of this?"
"This? Well, I can make a brooch. Or a hat. Or a pterodactyl."

The pterodactyl never appeared on screen in the 1993 film Jurassic Park, even though it did live during the Late Jurassic. In fact, only two of the seven dinosaurs in the movie lived in the Jurassic period.

But maybe you'd prefer to make a hat. You have two options on this question:

Name any dinosaur (from any period) to be depicted on screen in Jurassic Park. One dinosaur's name appears but the creature itself is not depicted; this is NOT a correct answer. (7 answers)

OR

Identify the hat described below. Provide the letter and the name of the hat if you choose one of these. (7 answers)

A. A light cotton cap with a rounded crown and stiff bill
B. The name of this often brimless hat, popular in the 1920s, is French for "bell", after the shape of the hat
C. Red felt hat in the shape of a truncated cone, popular in Arab-speaking countries
D. A rounded, ridged hat commonly found in workplace environments to protect the head from injury
E. A straw hat which actually originated in Ecuador
F. Distinctive hat worn by Catholic and Orthodox bishops, including the Pope
G. Brimless, short, round hat worn by many in Africa and of African origin

(Obviously, a total of 14 possible answers here.)

10. "This is WZAZ in Chicago, where disco lives forever!"

And the plane promptly destroys the radio station's tower. (Get it?) Disco was pretty dead by 1980, but not before the soundtrack to the 1977 film Saturday Night Fever, which starred John Travolta, became a smash hit.

Name a track on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. (17 answers)

11. "I need the best man on this, someone who knows that plane inside and out and won't crack under pressure."
"How about Mister Rogers?"

Air traffic control ends up going with Kramer instead, but Fred Rogers was awarded a Presidential Medal of Freedom by George W. Bush in 2002. President Bush awarded 82 of them total, beginning with 12 on July 9, 2002. Name one, also picking the letter below which corresponds to their claim to fame.

A. Former Braves outfielder and all-time home run leader as of 2002
B. Stand-up comedian and TV star, especially as Cliff Huxtable from 1984-92
C. One of the Three Tenors (not Carreras or Pavarotti)
D. Austrian-born management consultant, educator, and author who invented "management by objectives"
E. She was publisher of the Washington Post formally from 1969-79 and de facto from 1963-2001
F. American physician who helped the cause of eradicating smallpox in the 1960s (currently a professor at the U. of Pittsburgh)
G. "Godfather of Neoconservatism" and father of the editor of The Weekly Standard
H. President of South Africa from 1994-99
I. Intel co-founder whose "Law" indicates computer power doubles roughly every two years
J. First Lady from 1981-89
K. Hosted children's TV program of eponymous "Neighborhood" from 1968-2001
L. 1960 Pulitzer Prize winner and New York Times executive editor from 1977-88

12. "No, we can't do that, the risk of a flame-out is too great. Keep 'em at 24,000...No, feet."

There's really no way to know what the person on the other end of the phone thought Kramer meant. I doubt it was the metric system, but that's not important right now.

Give a prefix of the metric system meaning one of the factors below. No need to match it with its definition.

10^12, 10^9, 10^6, 10^3, 10^2, 10^-1, 10^-2, 10^-3, 10^-6, 10^-9, 10^-12

(11 answers)

13. "Flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Name a Tour de France winner since 1990, regardless of whether his championship is now forfeited. (12 answers)

The same cyclist won in 1989 and 1990 (obviously making him a correct answer).

14. "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit..."

Name one of the four things McCroskey picked the wrong week to quit in the movie. Or, if you don't know those: name a day of the week...in French or German. Each day of the week in each language is a separate answer. (18 total answers)

15. "I am serious. And don't call me Shirley."

You didn't think I'd skip these last two quotes, did you!?

Give the surname of one of these famous people who ARE (or were) named Shirley. Please provide the letter and the surname. (11 answers)

A. Won 1960 Best Supporting Actress for Elmer Gantry; also appeared in film versions of Oklahoma! and Carousel
B. Won 1983 Best Actress for Terms of Endearment; older sister of Warren Beatty
C. Chief Justice of the Wisconsin Supreme Court passed over for the U.S. court in favor of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
D. Welsh singer who sang the themes of 3 James Bond films (Goldfinger, Diamonds are Forever, Moonraker)
E. Child actress who later became a U.S. ambassador (appointed by...Gerald Ford, of course)
F. First African-American woman elected to the U.S. Congress, she later ran for President in 1972
G. Swedish singer of "Med hjärtat fyllt av ljus" and 2-time Melodifestivalen finalist
H. U.S. Department of Agriculture employee controversially fired in 2010 after edited speech to NAACP leaked by Andrew Breitbart
I. Washington Post sports columnist from 1933-98
J. Baroness of Crosby and one of the SDP-founding "Gang of Four"
K. Scottish singer, lead vocalist of the band Garbage
L. Are You Being Served? character portrayed by Wendy Richard (the only fictional character on this question)

Bonus Questions!
Each is worth -1 point, with no penalty for incorrect answers.
1. In Airplane!, the actress famous for her role as June Cleaver on Leave It To Beaver portrayed a woman fluent in what language?
2. The dinner options on the flight in Airplane! were steak and fish. What did Doctor Rumack have?
3. The plot of Airplane! is mostly lifted from what serious 1957 film, with many quotes in the former lifted directly from the latter?

Smoking or non-smoking?
Smoking, please.

How about some coffee, Johnny?
No thanks!

hscer

Post by hscer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:24 pm

CLARIFICATIONS
Remember on Questions 8, 9 (if you picked a hat), 11 and 15 to give me the letter of your answer. Multiple people have made an error of omission here, so it won't affect the submission order if you send me your missing letter. Please check the answers you sent and correct as needed. I will also send PM's at some point. Thanks.
Last edited by hscer on Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

hscer

Post by hscer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:24 pm

PARTICIPANTS
immaf
chip42
geolawyerman
Lampy
CheezeWhiz
mennoknight
gamawire
MarkBarrett
Ryno
mujason
Peggles
Tpmorrison
Holocene Hero
clprez
Sherm
dott888
dnbguy
Blue Lion
goatman
psgola
jgamer
JeopardyMom
econgator
TerrHeel
TomKBaltimoreBoy
ElendilPickle
whammy007
Peachbox
Creed Bratton
Rackme32
Magna
Turd Ferguson
cf1140
Tigershark
goforthetie
tjconn728
BobF
sarah0114
Paulsaysthought
TheyCallMeMrKid
debramc
whatisbishkek
RandyG
billiej
Bamaman
ihavejeoprosy
Kingrat47
Last edited by hscer on Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

billiej

Post by billiej » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:25 pm

I haven't done a TD in forever and a day, but this one got my attention, since it's also my favorite movie. I may just have to give it a try again.

Lampy

Post by Lampy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:11 pm

This was fun and I haven't even seen the movie all at once.

Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:05 pm

Airplane! is one of my favorites also.

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:56 pm

Time for a bump.

HaPPy nEw YeaR, aLL!!
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:50 pm

Will Rex Kramer be entering the game?

Caboom

Post by Caboom » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:33 pm

Bamaman wrote:Will Rex Kramer be entering the game?
Surely.

hscer

Post by hscer » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:26 pm

bump with 21 participants. think we can double it?

TerrHeel
Sports Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TerrHeel » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:18 pm

Awesome idea for a TD. Only seen the movie twice but I love it.

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:34 pm

That's EXACTLY what they'll be expecting!
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.

hscer

Post by hscer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:07 am

Last chance--about 13 hours to go!

Thanks to everyone who's participated so far.

Some of you should have PM's.

billiej

Post by billiej » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:27 pm

Caboom wrote:
Surely.
You can't be serious.

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:55 pm

billiej wrote:
Caboom wrote:
Surely.
You can't be serious.
And stop calling me Shirley!

hscer

Post by hscer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:17 pm

Everyone get in crash positions, the reveal starts soon.

----

When does the reveal start?

I don't know.

Can't you take a guess?

Well, not for another two hours.

You can't take a guess for another two hours?

No, I can start the reveal in another two hours.

----

Actually, it may take a little longer than that. But certainly by tomorrow. (And this paragraph isn't a reference.)

hscer

Post by hscer » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:02 am

1. Name a first-billed cast member, or one of the directors, of the 1980 spoof Airplane!

This question has 17 answers. There are 11 actors, 1 "actor" (and I don't mean the person who played Murdock), 3 actresses, and 3 directors. One of the directors was also a first-billed cast member, hence 17 possible answers, not 18. None of the 17 correct answers are Ethel Merman or Howard Jarvis.

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080339/

Some negbait on this one on account of the "first-billed" provision per IMDB, which was intended to limit the number of correct answers (something I did not feel was necessary on question 4). This affected only two players, but if the "first-billed" provision is less reliable than I treated it, I am willing to accept the answers currently labeled wrong which fall under this with some sort of consensus in that direction. (However, the specific exclusion of Ethel Merman and Howard Jarvis does mean that just because a person was in the movie didn't necessarily make them a correct answer.)

With that out of the way, the answers, and with clips for some:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (8)
phpBB [video]

geolawyerman
mennoknight
dott888
Blue Lion
Creed Bratton
cf1140
Tigershark
whatisbishkek

Leslie Nielsen (8)
phpBB [video]

immaf
gamawire
goatman
TerrHeel
BobF
sarah0114
sillymonkey
Bamaman

Ordered Fish (8)
jgamer

Julie Hagerty (5)
Ryno
Peggles
Abraxas
JeopardyMom
debramc

Otto (4) - if you didn't see the film, this is an inflatable autopilot who received a credit
dnbguy
econgator
whammy007
Kingrat47

Robert Stack (4)
phpBB [video]

chip42
clprez
psgola
tjconn728

Lloyd Bridges (3)
CheezeWhiz
MarkBarrett
TheyCallMeMrKid

Peter Graves (3)
phpBB [video]

Lampy
mujason
ElendilPickle

Robert Hays (3)
Magna
Turd Ferguson
Paulsaysthought

David Zucker (2)
Sherm
billiej

Jerry Zucker (2)
RandyG
ihavejeoprosy

and two singletons...

Jim Abrahams (1)
Holocene Hero

Barbara Billingsley (1)
Rackme32

Wrong answers, in two categories, currently worth the same (12)

Definitely wrong
Tpmorrison - Mike Nichols
Peachbox - Kent McCord was only in Airplane II: The Sequel
goforthetie - A. Zucker - neither Zucker has the first initial A, and since there were two, I could not accept just "Zucker"

Currently wrong
TomKBaltimoreBoy - Jill Whelan played the sick girl, but was not first-billed
barandall800 - Maureen McGovern played a nun (reading Nun's Life), but was not first-billed

The most notable unused answers were Stephen Stucker and Lorna Patterson.

Stucker's character is responsible for many of the lines that led to questions in this TD:
phpBB [video]

*This post has now been edited to include all participants.
Last edited by hscer on Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:07 am

I almost said Billingsley, but the first billed proviso scared me off.

sillymonkey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by sillymonkey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:09 pm

I don't see my response - and notice now that I don't see me listed in entrants either...but my PM shows my message in my "sent messages". No biggie - but I really enjoyed this. And yet other contestants would be glad to have me included, since I usually finish in the bottom of the pack.