Wednesday, December 31, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6973, 2014-12-31

CONTESTANTS
Jennifer Harris, a Ph.D. student originally from Houston, Texas
Zamir Ahmed, a manager of media relations from Washington, D.C.
Vaughn Winchell, a stay-at-home dad and graduate student from Columbia, Maryland (whose 3-day cash winnings total $66,502)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. Because this is our last show for the year 2014, I thought you folks might be interested in hearing that this year, Jeopardy! champions earned over $6 million in cash winnings. And those checks are all in the mail. But because times are tough, we don't want you to cash them until 2017, please. All right. Jennifer, Zamir, and Vaughn, good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round today. Let's see how much one of you earns with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THUMP! (4/5)
THE 50 STATES (4/5)
BIBLICAL ZOO (5/5)
NAME YOUR POISON (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES (5/5)
"IPO"s (3/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Vaughn: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Zamir: 8 R, 1 W
Jennifer: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jennifer: $2,400
Vaughn: $2,200
Zamir: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jennifer Harris is a Ph.D. student who, when she was younger, insisted on watching a famous musical every day.

Jennifer: That's correct, Alex--Oklahoma! by Rodgers and Hammerstein. I have no idea why, but I loved to watch it and sing all the songs.

Alex: And do you still do that to this day?

Jennifer: I--I own it. I've seen it, yes, quite a bit.

Alex: Zamir Ahmed from Washington, D.C., plays in a multi-adult recreational sports league. What are we talking about?

Zamir: Uh, so I play in a lot of, uh, just adult sports leagues. It's basically intramurals for grown-ups.

Alex: Basketball? Touch football?

Zamir: There are some of those. The games I play are a little different. I play, uh, in a kickball league. I'm actually the captain of a team called Stumbling Home Headfirst...

Alex: Whoa.

Zamir: ...uh, and in a dodgeball league. And our team is Quintuple Ds, after the movie Dodgeball.

Alex: You like being hit by things, don't you?

Zamir: I like hitting people, too.

Alex: Oh! [Chuckles] Okay.

Alex: Our champion is Vaughn Winchell. Now, we keep introducing you as a graduate student, and any time we have students as contestants on Jeopardy!, they want to earn a lot of money to pay off their student loans. Is that the case with you? You've already won over $60,000.

Vaughn: Well, I--I--I'm happy to say I do not have loans, but I think I have found where the money comes for the rest of my master's degree.

Alex: Oh, I see. Okay. Good. Well, you've got a lot of money.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Vaughn found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Vaughn had $3,400, Zamir had $1,800, and Jennifer was at $3,200. Vaughn wagered $1,400.

NAME YOUR POISON $800: Angry Orchard,
Adam's Revenge

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE 50 STATES $1000: According to statute, the outer circle of its state seal is a color called golden poppy

NAME YOUR POISON $400: Hendrick's,
Boodles

NAME YOUR POISON $600: E&J XO,
Pisco

THUMP! $1000: The eastern gray species of this thumps the ground with its big feet to signal others of danger
(Jennifer: What is an elephant?)

NAME YOUR POISON $1000: (Real poison this time)
the weed killer MSMA
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Vaughn: $4,800
Zamir: $3,400
Jennifer: $2,800

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PLACES OF FABLE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
1980s MUSIC (2/3)
MILITARY MISTAKES (1/3)
WORD ORIGINS (4/5)
POETIC LAST LINES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IPOs (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Vaughn: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Jennifer: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Zamir: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Vaughn snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Vaughn had $5,600, Zamir had $3,400, and Jennifer was at $3,600. Vaughn wagered $2,000.

POETIC LAST LINES $1200: A poem by him ends, "and then my heart with pleasure fills, and dances with the daffodils"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jennifer who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Vaughn had $12,000, Zamir had $4,600, and Jennifer was at $6,000. Jennifer wagered $2,000.

PLACES OF FABLE $1600: This island was said to be ruled by Morgan le Fay & her 8 healing sisters
(Jennifer: What is Crete?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORD ORIGINS $1600: The name of this water-soluble carbohydrate found in ripe fruit is derived from the Greek for "coagulate"
(Vaughn: What is cellulose?)

MILITARY MISTAKES $400: In 1896 an Ethiopian army defeated a force from this nation that had launched an ill-advised night attack
(Zamir: What is Great Britain?)
(Jennifer: What is France?)

MILITARY MISTAKES $800: European hubris at this mountain outpost in 1954 helped a peasant army surround & defeat 16,000 elite troops
(Alex: And that was the Battle of [*].)

IPOs $1200: Stock symbol VG, this telecom company had a disastrous IPO in 2006

1980s MUSIC $400: This 1984 Madonna album spawned 4 Top 5 hits, including "Material Girl"

PLACES OF FABLE $2000: Sailors say this "colorful" afterlife place is "9 miles beyond the dwelling of his Satanic majesty"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Vaughn: $14,800 (lock game)
Zamir: $5,800
Jennifer: $5,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ISLANDS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Vaughn: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Zamir: Wager $5,401 to cover Jennifer.
Jennifer: Risk between $201 and $5,200, covering Zamir's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Present name of an island settled by Europeans in the 1490s, today the most populous island in the Americas

FINAL SCORES
Jennifer: $5,600 + $1,400 = $7,000 (What is Hispañiola?) (2nd place)
Zamir: $5,800 - $5,400 = $400 (What is Cuba?) (3rd place)
Vaughn: $14,800 - $3,000 = $11,800 (What is Cuba?) (66503-day champion: $11,800)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Vaughn: $13,400, 17 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Jennifer: $7,600, 13 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Zamir: $5,800, 12 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $26,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Vaughn: 17/60 = .283
Jennifer: 14/59 = .237
Zamir: 12/58 = .207
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE 50 STATES $800: Native daughter Helen Keller is on the reverse of the quarter that represents this Southern state

CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $200: (I'm New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman.) My favorite movie is this 1985 Meryl Streep film set in Nairobi that won 7 Academy Awards, including Best Picture

CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $400: (Warren Buffett delivers the clue.) One of my favorites is this 1973 movie in which Paul Newman invests a little time to con a large sum of out evil mobster Doyle Lonnegan

THUMP! $800: In 1964 a researcher wanted to count the rings of a bristlecone type of this tree, so he felled it & oops, it was 4,900
(Zamir: What is a redwood?)

CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $600: (I'm Dr. Jane Goodall.) When I really want to laugh, I watch this 1983 film with Dan Aykroyd & Eddie Murphy whose plot has a lot in common with "The Prince and the Pauper"
(Alex: Yes, and she watches it with chimps by her side.)

CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $800: (Hi. I'm Dr. Oz.) One of my favorite films is this 1967 movie with Sidney Poitier, who takes a teaching job in tough East End London

"IPO"s $200: It's a 3-legged camera support
(Alex: With less than a minute to go, you are right.)

CELEBRITIES' FAVORITE MOVIES $1000: (I'm columnist Clarence Page.) As real-life TV has proven the movie prophetic to me, my favorite film is this 1976 drama about newscaster Howard Beale

POETIC LAST LINES $800: This poem's title has 7 words, like its last line "and miles to go before I sleep"
(Zamir: What is "Stopped by the Woods on a Snowy Evening"?)

POETIC LAST LINES $1600: "In her sepulchre there by the sea, in her tomb by the sounding sea" ends this poem
(Alex: By Poe, correct.)

PLACES OF FABLE $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows an aerial photograph on the monitor.) In 2004, a physicist claimed that a rectangular anomaly in Spain's Doñana mudflats matched Plato's dimensions of Poseidon's temple in this lost land

PLACES OF FABLE $1200: The name of this mythic Tibetan Buddhist kingdom inspired a Three Dog Night hit song
(Vaughn: What is Shangri-La?)

IPOs $2000: Not named for a Vermont city, the stock for this clothing "factory" rose 40% after its 2013 offering
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute to go now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
(hard apple) cider
California
gin
brandies
a kangaroo
arsenic
(William) Wordsworth
Avalon
pectin
Italy
Dien Bien Phu
Vonage
Like a Virgin
Fiddler's Green
Hispaniola
Alabama
Out of Africa
The Sting
a pine tree
Trading Places
To Sir, with Love
a tripod
Network
"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"
"Annabel Lee"
Atlantis
Shambala
Burlington

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:13 pm

Islands
Present name of an island settled by Europeans in the 1490s, today the most populous island in the Americas.

SpoilerShow
What is Hispaniola? Zamir and Vaughn both said Cuba.

Vaughn Winchell: $14,800-$3,000=$11,800...now a 4-day champion with $78,302
Zamir Ahmed: $5,800-$5,400=$400
Jennifer Harris: $5,600+$1,400=$7,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:14 pm

Heads up for tomorrow. NBC and ABC run the Rose Bowl from 11AM-1PM EST, NBC runs an NHL game from 1-4PM EST, and ABC the Citrus Bowl from 1-4:30PM EST. SOme NBC and ABC stations running J! earlier in the day will face preemptions. CBS and Fox run their usual weekday programming tomorrow.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:17 pm

Congratulations to Vaughn as he continues to roll along.

Unlike Vaughn, my coin landed the right way on FJ. For me, the key was they said "this island" and not "this island nation". That told me it wasn't going to be Cuba but rather an island that was home to two countries. A rare case of me noticing the subtle hints before the music stops.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:27 pm

Ran Biblical Zoo. 4/5 in Thump, because the "pine" clue plus "gray" was enough for me to overlook "big feet" in favor of WAGging "squirrel". Hate it when I miss an animal clue.

Pick Your Poison had me thinking actual poisons, so the last one actually being poison was funny even if I bombed the category. Also 0/5 in Movies.

Anyone wanna explain to me how that Ethiopia/Italy clue was $400 material?

Surprised that just "Burlington" was taken.

No guess on FJ!
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:34 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Anyone wanna explain to me how that Ethiopia/Italy clue was $400 material?
I was unaware of this conflict, but Italy invaded Ethiopia in the 1930s and I figured it was a safe guess.
Surprised that just "Burlington" was taken.
Same here.
No guess on FJ!
You didn't just write down a random Caribbean island just for the heck of it? (Yeah, I know)

Happy New Year, TPH.
Last edited by Bamaman on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:36 pm

Congratulations, Vaughn, on your fourth win! I got 36 clues correct including brandies, Italy, "Like a Virgin" and FJ. For FJ, I considered Cuba but then went with Hispaniola.

MSMA equating to arsenic, seems very obscure to me. Perhaps we can have this as a poll question to see how many of us knew this. I looked it up afterward; the chemical name of MSMA is monosodium methyl arsenate.

Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:40 pm

Yay! Finally we have a 4 day champion! Congratulations to Vaughn on a great run so far, and hopefully you win tomorrow!

Very surprised to hear a favorable clue in 80s Music, as I was already ready to start putting all Passes on my Coryat sheet. (I usually do that for music, as I am horrible when it comes to song ID)

@TenPoundHammer: the reason that would be $400 material is because, well, there was another attack by Italy of Ethiopia in WWII, which should be very well-known.

Had a three-way "coin flip" between Cuba, Hispaniola, and Jamaica (also strangely considered Manhattan for a second) because landing on the wrong side (like Vaughn) for Cuba.

Looking forward to tomorrow for our possibly first five-time champion since Julia Collins!
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

HeatherBreslin
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by HeatherBreslin » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:54 pm

Well done Vaughn! I'm having much fun watching you -- even if seeing no one get Like A Virgin had me yelling at the tv. That Jennifer is quite smart too! Keeping my eye on you.

Leander

Post by Leander » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:55 pm

The FJ reference to island briefly made me think it might be part of a country, like Manhattan or Long Island, until the date focused me on the Caribbean. I was pretty sure the Haiti/DR combo had more people than Cuba. On the other hand, not sure I would spell Hispaniola correctly if on the set.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:12 pm

Bamaman wrote:You didn't just write down a random Caribbean island just for the heck of it? (Yeah, I know)
Where in the clue did it say Caribbean?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:33 pm

31 right.

Thump- 3; State- 4; Zoo- 3; Poison- 1; Movies- 4; "IPO"- 2
Fable- 2; 1980's- 3; Mil- 2; Word- 2; Poet- 3; IPOs- 2

Lach trash: "California", "Dien Bien Phu", "Like a Virgin"

I was thinking about Hispaniola, but I said Manhattan Island, which was a dumb miss for me. The date should have led me to say Hispaniola.

cosmos

Post by cosmos » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:56 pm

The Burlington clue was a bit weird. Apparently they were looking for the city that the clothing "factory" was NOT named for, not the name of the company.

I wondered why no BMS on cider, but then the category implied alcoholic beverage (except for arsenic, of course :D), making hard cider redundant.

Leander

Post by Leander » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:58 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:You didn't just write down a random Caribbean island just for the heck of it? (Yeah, I know)
Where in the clue did it say Caribbean?
It didn't specifically, but the 1490's date of settlement by Europeans is a dead giveaway.. Columbus and 1492 and all that. He wasn't exploring the Hudson River.

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:39 pm

Well done Vaughn, keep it going (I mean I hope you kept it going?)!

Hispaniola was an instaget for me. It's closer to Europe and outpopulates Cuba almost two to one. Geography yum yum yum.

BobF

Post by BobF » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:59 pm

Congratulations again, Vaughan, you're representing MD well! I think you need to change your rank to "Undefeated in 2014". Instaget FJ for me, but after I blurted out Hispaniola, I briefly wondered if it could be Cuba, but then remembered that there's a ton of people in Haiti and DR, at least relative to Cuba.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:27 pm

grindcore wrote:Well done Vaughn, keep it going (I mean I hope you kept it going?)!

Hispaniola was an instaget for me. It's closer to Europe and outpopulates Cuba almost two to one. Geography yum yum yum.
Three-way coin flip for me (Cuba/Hispaniola/Puerto Rico) Eliminated the first and settled on the second at the 29th second.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:54 pm

Not that there cannot be overlap, but I got a chuckle out of Biblical Zoo played first by all the players and later Name Your Poison having some stumpers.

Vaughn: You let Zamir beat to you the Maryland clue. Where's the buzzer magic when you need it? Nice job getting the runaway to secure the rare,this season, 4th win.

I feel like my scorecard was robbed with 1980s Music and Military Mistakes unfinished. That could have been another 7200 with crisper clue selection.

I'm with the writers that Italy to Ethiopia connection is top box even if tonight's players (and Hammer) made it seem otherwise.

Now I know that Warren Buffett and Jane Goodall have the places to go for movie night since I've seen The Sting and Trading Places multiple times.

I'd like to think that even if I had thought of Hispaniola I still would have gone the wrong way with Cuba, so that it was going to be a miss anyway. My coin was Cuba or Jamaica. I need to add the Dominican Republic/Haiti combo to my thinking process anytime the Caribbean is in play for a FJ! clue. It's happened previously to overlook that place.

Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:26 pm

Congratulations Vaughn on becoming the winningest Columbian. You are my better.

I thought of Hispaniola because to me the clue emphasized it was the present name, and I thought it had once been called Santo Domingo. But a quick browse of Wikipedia seems to indicate that it has been always been called Hispaniola, or La Española, and Santo Domingo referred to only The Dominican Republic.