Thursday, January 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, January 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by billiej » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:33 am

Vermonter wrote: FJ was an instaget, but I had a nagging hesitation: "Well, does that show really count as 'television'?"
I had the same doubts. Instaget, despite having never seen it. But then I was thinking, "wait, isn't that Netflix? Is that TV? Well maybe it's HBO...?" In any event, I quieted the doubts by saying to myself that there wasn't really anything else it COULD be. That, and the fact that Netflix shows get nominated for Emmys, so I guess that makes them "television" shows.

BobF

Post by BobF » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:41 am

(In my best tenpoundhammer tone)

How the heck was I supposed to know it wasn't the show "Women in Prison" which aired in 1987-1988? There wasn't enough in that clue to eliminate that possibility.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:49 am

seaborgium wrote:
Robert K S wrote:That infinitesimal DD has been on the show a couple times before in very nearly the same language. I recognized it, for example, as the FJ! in this game from 1990 (in which one player was penalized for spelling it infinitessimal!)
I cited that FJ when there was confusion over how to proceed in my last Watson match, when Watson responded with the plural of the correct response to this FJ. (Luckily Rocky Schmidt was there that day, and he didn't hesitate to rule it wrong.)
You know the machines are getting advanced when they start having sects on the brain.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:21 am

Holocene Hero wrote:Missed this game so I could watch FSU play Oregon. Not the best choice.
I made a lot of money on that game. I had the Seminoles +40.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:25 am

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:Congratulations Vaughn!

I know TV is a wheelhouse category for me, but this seemed like one of the easiest FJs in recent memory. And I've never even watched OITNB.
I've never watched an episode of it either, or (I think) even seen ads, trailers, etc. I was able to piece together Women in Prison = orange jumpsuits = OITNB somehow, and got this one right. Which I needed badly after clanking all three DDs. :roll:

Many congrats to Vaughn, who looks like a real force to be reckoned with as well as very watchable contestant.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:25 am

Robert K S wrote:That infinitesimal DD has been on the show a couple times before in very nearly the same language. I recognized it, for example, as the FJ! in this game from 1990 (in which one player was penalized for spelling it infinitessimal!) and, more recently, as a $2000 clue in 13-LETTER WORDS in this game. Another similar clue appeared in this game in 2002 (think small $1000).
Thanks for the links Robert! I KNEW I saw that one before-- it came bubbling up from the depths of Mnemosyne like that, lol.

Fantastic game, strong play by Vaughn vs. a determined and capable challenger, Page gave him a run for it, well-played by all and only one clue left uncovered!

Goatman was weak on J with only 15 gets, but came roaring back on DJ for 40 gets total and FJ instaget. Wife was; "WTH is that?!" LOL @Vulgar Girls in Orange Jumpsuits.
What passes for entertainment these days... so coarse. Yet Goatman knew this... does that make him lewd as well? HehHeh :oops:

Lach trash: Only MOMA, MOR @Bozeman, MT: these players didn't leave much trash on either Board, the Russell Crowe TOM was too obscure for me, timed out on it also.

Fun gets: LOL@ Robin Hood Categories; Shire of Nottingham, 800 y/o Oak Tree, (Whiskey Bottle, Brand New Car OAK TREE You're in my way, ...The smell of death surrounds you! -Lynyrd Skynyrd pops into my head at the oddest moments, is that a bad thing?); St Pauls' Cathedral (Architect: OLD = Inigo Jones; post Great Fire 1666, commissioned by Charles II: Christopher Wren) using trees from Sherwood Forest! Well-written TOM GJ J-writers, I don't often compliment their hard work this was a neat inferential category!! James I (VI of Scotland) went hunting there...
Kevin Costner played Locksley.

Dale Earnhardt, Jr "The Intimidator" died of a basilar skull fx in 2001 post-crash at Daytona, I didn't realize this but he was tied with Richard Petty (Mr Superbird) for 7 wins.
Instget Fed Chairman Greenspan ret 2006, predecessor Volcker, successor - Ben Bernanke, then Janet Yellen 2014. Know them all!
Clam on Dale Carnegie > YMCA

Frank Sinatra > Robbo in Robin and the Seven Hoods (1964) featuring many Rat Packers (Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr and Bing Crosby. "Rat Pack" was a term coined by Lauren Bacall when she saw how Bogie looked coming home with these guys late at night after shooting & carousing 24/7. BTW Bacall was born Betty Jean Perske, pre-calling that to appear soon, she passed in 2014.
Errol Flynn pic instaget; Arthur became son-in-law of King Leodegrance when he married Guinevere (Leo was his father Uther Pendragon's trusted advisor) and got the Table Round from him).
Molly Bloom >>>Ulysses, James Joyce; we just saw Stephen Daedalkus this week, is there a pattern here or is that just my imagination again?

Clam on Alan Turing for Captcha test, of course it's based on one of his logical algorithms; a 'reverse Turing Test'. Turing's test for interaction with persons and computers is desgned to identify an AI by it's failure to grasp idiomatic and inferential reasoning, cultural references and illogical nonsense based on context (to be logically literal = nonhuman) . The Captcha Test reverses the role of Human User and Computer, testing for human perception.
Alan Turing proposed the idea that 'machines can't think' in 1950. Rene Descartes proposed the same notion in the 17th century. Fascinating!

Sean Connery - Pint-sized - Tofu - Wee Willie Winkie - Lilliputian - clam on Pittsburgh, Fried Ice Cream & Fried Green Tomatoes.
OF course know the film Love in the Time Of Cholera but the TOM failed me, bah.

Chaucer: Wife of Bath had 5 hubbies. THey love the chars from Canterbury Tales. A story about a group of diverse chars on the way to Canterbury Cathedral to pay respects to Thomas a Becket's shrine. Where he was murdered. By Henry II thugs. Contrary to Henry's wishes, although he said; "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?!" So they did.

Come together> Beatles; Lying Eyes > Eagles; IN Dreams / Only the Lonely > Roy Orbison; all instagets, I'm so old!
Ca++ = 'ion' Osteoblast -> Bone forming cell; NHO "Bridge School" > Neil Young ( A southern man never need him around anyhow, Lynrd Skynyrd again, Sweet Home Alabama, where the skies are blue, AND the Governor's true, yes he is!); NHO OKX = Radiohead, sigh.

Last Doge >> Pavlov "Venice"; 1913 assassination of King George I at Salonika = Greece; FLight to Varennes = Louis XVI 7 Marie Antoinette. Alfonso V = Portuguese (at this point I called for Pedro I & II of Brazil, no dice though!)

O-C: Obstetric / Orc "In MOrdor, where the Shadows lie, hehe" / Optic / Organic
NHO La Musee d'Orsay, I'm so ignorantic, it's a Parisian Left-bank former RR station become Artsy museum featuring all the big names, DOH!
My excuse is I went to Paris in the 70's and this opened in 1986: La plus que change, la plus c'est la meme chose, eh?

Elements: H > He > Li = 1,2,3... Got Museum of the Rockies @Bozeman another former Montanan clue, precall the Treasure State coming again soon! GM
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:38 pm

Robert K S wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Robert K S wrote:That infinitesimal DD has been on the show a couple times before in very nearly the same language. I recognized it, for example, as the FJ! in this game from 1990 (in which one player was penalized for spelling it infinitessimal!)
I cited that FJ when there was confusion over how to proceed in my last Watson match, when Watson responded with the plural of the correct response to this FJ. (Luckily Rocky Schmidt was there that day, and he didn't hesitate to rule it wrong.)
You know the machines are getting advanced when they start having sects on the brain.
I had been inside Watson that day, after all.

Caboom

Post by Caboom » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:31 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:The poll will include seen or not seen the show. I'll guess 28 seen and 72 not seen, but 83Y and 17N for solving the clue.
I think the solve rate will be much higher than that, that was easier than some of the kids week FJs. But I think the seen rate is close, might be even lower.

Opal
Contributor

Post by Opal » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:52 pm

Good job Vaughn on the Canadian Provincial Flags category. I know you only answered three, but I assume you knew the last two as well. I always dread Canadian categories on this show since they're usually poorly responded (but then it's a wheelhouse for me, lol).

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:51 pm

MarkBarrett wrote: The poll will include seen or not seen the show. I'll guess 28 seen and 72 not seen, but 83Y and 17N for solving the clue.
It's sitting there in the queue, waiting for me, but I haven't found the time yet. Probably some time this month.

Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:56 pm

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:Congratulations Vaughn!

I know TV is a wheelhouse category for me, but this seemed like one of the easiest FJs in recent memory. And I've never even watched OITNB.
Same for me. But luck is OK too.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:54 pm

Never seen the show, but had heard of it, though I had no idea if it were a comedy or drama. It came to mind first, but stupidly put down Oz.

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:28 pm

Opal wrote:Good job Vaughn on the Canadian Provincial Flags category. I know you only answered three, but I assume you knew the last two as well. I always dread Canadian categories on this show since they're usually poorly responded (but then it's a wheelhouse for me, lol).
Thanks. Got to include Canada when you're studying geography for Jeopardy! I don't recognize very many of the flags, but there were enough hints contained in the clues that I didn't need to.

psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:40 pm

I also got FJ without never seeing the show, or even ads or trailers. It helps when you follow awards show buzz and Top Lists for TV 2014. Great to see a 5-time champion!
Lach Trash: Russell Crowe, Modern Art
Surprisingly got 4/5 on Fryer Tuck.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:12 pm

My take on the Canada clues:

* Cereal grain? Could just as easily be oats or corn instead of wheat, and "going with the obvious" won't work since all three seem equally obvious to me.

* Mammal of the plains that provides food and clothing? Oh yeah, duh. Just wasn't thinking big enough. Bison just never enter my radar for some reason.

* Represent the Pacific Ocean? I may not know every province/territory/whatever in exact order, but I should at least know where British Columbia is since it's the westernmost. No excuse for me there.

* Cross of Scotland = St. Andrew's? Never heard of it.

* "Two part name"? I hate it when easy-clues like this are at $2,000, because it always gives me pause and makes me clam no matter how certain I am.

In short, I could've gotten 3/5 if my brain were working right.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:28 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:* "Two part name"? I hate it when easy-clues like this are at $2,000, because it always gives me pause and makes me clam no matter how certain I am.
I wonder how many Americans know our easternmost province now has a two-part name? I still call our newest province just "Newfoundland" almost all the time, I think I even answered the clue that way, but if I did that on stage I would have corrected myself if Alex gave me The Look.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:29 pm

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:* "Two part name"? I hate it when easy-clues like this are at $2,000, because it always gives me pause and makes me clam no matter how certain I am.
I wonder how many Americans know our easternmost province now has a two-part name? I still call our newest province just "Newfoundland" almost all the time, I think I even answered the clue that way, but if I did that on stage I would have corrected myself if Alex gave me The Look.
He might not have given you any Look, as per the "Ireland Rule".

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:24 pm

dhkendall wrote: I wonder how many Americans know our easternmost province now has a two-part name? I still call our newest province just "Newfoundland" almost all the time, I think I even answered the clue that way, but if I did that on stage I would have corrected myself if Alex gave me The Look.
I only learned it from one of last years FJs.
Sheepin' it real.

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:09 am

Page was really frustrated by not being able to ring in. She was shaking that button up and down so furiously, it looked like she was
Spoiler
Show
homogenizing a bottle of calamine lotion.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:05 pm

floridagator wrote:Page was really frustrated by not being able to ring in. She was shaking that button up and down so furiously, it looked like she was
Spoiler
Show
homogenizing a bottle of calamine lotion.
Is that what they're calling it now?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent