Monday, January 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, January 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

So what's the furthest north overall, Lillehammer? (And even that is just barely north of Helsinki.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I've tried taking a more lax approach to gameplay. So far it's not helping.

Lach Trash: Texaco, Antigua & Barbuda, squirrel.

When's the last time a contestant showed a picture during the interviews?

I thought Dominica was waaaaaaaaaaaay undervalued at $200. The only other time it comes up in the Archive as an actual response, it was a TS at $1,000. Can we poll it? I have a feeling it'll be low.

"In Xanadu did Kublai Khan" seemed steep for $200 too. I'd have put it at maybe $600.

0/5 in ABC, a super rare skunk in a word category for me. Just couldn't think of the first couple, and have outright NHO "aberrance". "Illegally take away" had me thinking objects, not people, and I've never heard of an object being abducted. No excuse for whiffing on Arabic, though.

I knew Mötley Crüe, and I even like one of their songs ("Home Sweet Home"), but the name wasn't coming.

Anyone wanna tell me why Ecuador and Colombia weren't good on Strike for $600?

I had Defoe marked as 0/5 as soon as it came up.

Oslo for me. Didn't realize Helsinki ever hosted the Olympics.
Did you do any better at the category where they just showed faces? (I believe that was today, just going by memory)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

alietr wrote:So what's the furthest north overall, Lillehammer? (And even that is just barely north of Helsinki.)
Lillehamer: 61°+ north. Helsinki: 60°+ north. In this hemisphere, the furthest north is Calgary at 51°.
OCSam
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote:
Onairb wrote:...obtuse/mind-numbingly obscure clues-this was the first I ever heard of the color green being in (spoiler) a well-known brand of gasoline's logo, which I've only ever seen in red.
You've never seen this?
texaco.png
Hardly obscure.

Brian
Never seen that one before either. But I have seen this one though:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... go.svg.png
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

There are times I think I could be on Jeopardy and do well, and a day like this when I know I'd be way out of my league. I absolutely got my head handed to me in the double jeopardy round. I had a Coyrat of 800 in DJ excluding Defoe, which I should have run. I clammed on 1200.

I thought the first round was easy, and got FJ with no problems, but overall, that game stunk. :evil:
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

If I had been on today's show, I might've been one of those people kicking themselves for years. Sports is my strongest area of expertise, so I would've been extremely excited that the FJ had something to do with sports, but alas, I did not get this sports/geography/history question. Granted, if I had received the call, I might've discovered this during my high intensity pre-show training, but as of today, I went with Oslo, obviously not rememebering that it was a Winter Olympics site.
Sheepin' it real.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:Did you do any better at the category where they just showed faces? (I believe that was today, just going by memory)
I got the first three, in part because the clue was more than just "They're the X seen here". There was actual context.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Faces of History 5/5 Has this type of category ever been on before?
Hair bands 4/5-some of that music I can't get out of my head. Country name origins-I did not even pose an answer. Passed on all 4.
I answered abscond and thought they would accept it at the break. Nope.
I had a rough time in DJ and missed FJ. I had to choose between Oslo and Helsinki. And I chose Oslo.
Tomorrow's another day.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
ACW

Post by ACW »

Well, how about that, New Hope was added later. Would New Hope've been acceptable?
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Volante wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Onairb wrote:...obtuse/mind-numbingly obscure clues-this was the first I ever heard of the color green being in (spoiler) a well-known brand of gasoline's logo, which I've only ever seen in red.
You've never seen this?
texaco.png
Hardly obscure.

Brian
Never seen that one before either. But I have seen this one though:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... go.svg.png
That's the one I know. How ls is the 'Green T' logo?
'TexaCO...Green T'...little-known variant lyrics from 'The Beverly Hillbillies' theme
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

alietr wrote:I was surprised when that wasn't reversed, but then looked it up. Abscond specifically refers to departing.
Right but that doesn't negate the fact that both verbs are used to signify that something has been taken illegally and that from the place of that action, the subject has fled with said object(s). People who abduct others don't usually stand at the scene of the crime. When abscond is used, it typically means with money or valuables that were not the rightful property of the taker. In either verb, order of action dictates one must do the taking then the leaving. Arguing that abduct is primarily about the former, and abscond the latter is moot because the clue presented its verbs - "seize" and "take [away]" - as correlative. Abscond was a valid response to the clue.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Silverfox wrote:Faces of History 5/5 Has this type of category ever been on before?
Regularly, though not with the same category name.
In one twist, they removed the person from the photo: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3396
ACW wrote:Well, how about that, New Hope was added later. Would New Hope've been acceptable?
I hope not... :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Volante

Post by Volante »

Onairb wrote: That's the one I know. How ls is the 'Green T' logo?
'TexaCO...Green T'...little-known variant lyrics from 'The Beverly Hillbillies' theme
Well, the clue was: "In 1909 this company began using a logo with a green "T" superimposed on a red star"
So they obviously changed it some point after 1909 and before we, sans bpmod, were cognizant of our surroundings. /ducks
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

UiscePreston wrote:
alietr wrote:I was surprised when that wasn't reversed, but then looked it up. Abscond specifically refers to departing.
Right but that doesn't negate the fact that both verbs are used to signify that something has been taken illegally and that from the place of that action, the subject has fled with said object(s). People who abduct others don't usually stand at the scene of the crime. When abscond is used, it typically means with money or valuables that were not the rightful property of the taker. In either verb, order of action dictates one must do the taking then the leaving. Arguing that abduct is primarily about the former, and abscond the latter is moot because the clue presented its verbs - "seize" and "take [away]" - as correlative. Abscond was a valid response to the clue.
Abscond is intransitive. The correct response and the verbs in the clue were not. (I said "abscond" for my response.)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:Well, the clue was: "In 1909 this company began using a logo with a green "T" superimposed on a red star"
So they obviously changed it some point after 1909 and before we, sans bpmod, were cognizant of our surroundings. /ducks
Sorry. I got it from watching Back To The Future. The movie depicted scenes from 1955, which was many years before I was cognizant of my surroundings. Whether it was an accurate 1955 or not, I wouldn't know, because, well, I wasn't yet cognizant of my surroundings.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bleezy
Valued Contributor

Post by bleezy »

Country name origins was tough, and I didn't get FJ, but this game seemed very easy to me and I think I would have won if I was on the show. I was amazed they missed Peru, 30 Years War, Saturn, JPL and others.

I love Elliot's exuberance and I hope he reigns longer!
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Peru was obvious, but when you combine any of the others with Chile, the result is MOST of South America's west coast. Peru is the second-longest by far, but that isn't how they worded it. Sloppy writing, but that's not really an excuse for the contestants blowing it.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
davey

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote:
UiscePreston wrote:
Abscond is intransitive. The correct response and the verbs in the clue were not. (I said "abscond" for my response.)
Yes. And it's not necessary to seize anything in order to abscond. A common usage is in jumping bail, in which case you're giving something up...

I surprised myself by correctly guessing this FJ, featuring two of my least favorite themes on J!, map placement (I'm OK on place names) and Olympics...
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

seaborgium wrote:
UiscePreston wrote:
Transitivity is meaningless. I have explained thematic roles in the past. Antediluvian concepts of grammar are not a valid excuse. The clue was specifically devoid of an implicit accusative, opening up the possibility of "abscond". Whether you "abduct (a person)" or "abscond (with money)", the theme is the same. You are departing unlawfully, accompanied by something you had no right to acquire - which was the gist of the clue. The grammatical case of the predicate noun is irrelevant.
Last edited by UiscePreston on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.