Monday, January 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6976, 2015-01-05

CONTESTANTS
Eric Westra, a middle school humanities teacher from Omaha, Nebraska
Dara Gocheski, a librarian from Denver, Colorado
Elliot Yates, an opera producer from New York, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $18,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome to our show. Well, we're into the new year. We're done with the holidays, so we can all relax now and not experience the tension, except for these three--Elliot, Dara, and Eric. There's a certain degree of tension involved in playing the game. But good luck to you. Here you go into the Jeopardy! Round, and here are the categories you're going to deal with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FACES IN HISTORY (5/5)
'80s HAIR BANDS (4/5)
COUNTRY NAME ORIGINS (0/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
KNOW YOUR A‑B‑Cs (3/5) (Alex: You need to [*] because, in this category, each correct response will begin with the letter "A", a "B" will come later, and then a "C".)
STARS OF BUSINESS (2/3)
STRIKE THAT! (4/5) (Alex: You have to replace the crossed-out word or words in each of our clues.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dara :): 10 R, 4 W
Eric: 3 R, 2 W
Elliot: 5 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 8
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dara :): $2,000
Eric: $800
Elliot: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Eric Westra is a middle school humanities teacher who, when he was a student in high school, got in trouble with the nuns. What did you do? I remember what I did to get in trouble with the nuns.

Eric: It was one time. I was guilty of forgery. I forged some service hours.

Alex: What?

Eric: I was stupid. I would never do it again. But the nuns caught me. I have no idea how, but they caught me. They always catch you, Alex.

Alex: They do. See, we didn't have to do community service when I was going to school.

Eric: And you turned out okay.

[Laughter]

Alex: Well, they--they caught me doing other things. Okay.

Eric: Okay.

Alex: Dara Gocheski from Denver, Colorado. It says here that you have walked around one of the tallest buildings in the world. Are we talking about at ground level or at the top of the building?

Dara: Up top, about 116 stories high.

Alex: Whoa.

Dara: Yes, "whoa". 5 foot is the width of the sidewalk, but I was harnessed in. And I hate roller coasters, but I didn't want to come back in after doing this.

Alex: And where was this?

Dara: The CN Tower.

Alex: Oh, in Toronto.

Dara: Absolutely. Yes.

Alex: Wow. Okay. Good for you. Well done.

Alex: Elliot Yates is an opera producer who is our champion right now, and he is producing, or working on, an opera about someone that we wouldn't associate with opera immediately--Truman Capote.

Elliot: Truman Capote, yeah. I just realized one day, about a year ago, that his life lends itself to being an opera so easily, and, also, if you ever heard Truman Capote speak--

Alex: I was just about to say.

Elliot: --his voice is very high-pitched, and so we're writing this for a countertenor, which many operas aren't written today, but I think that's something that will make our opera special.

Alex: It's too bad Alfred Deller is not still alive.

Elliot: I know, there's a few good ones out there, though.

Alex: Really? There are?

Elliot: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Alex: Okay. Well, good luck with that.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Elliot found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Elliot had $1,600, Dara :) had $2,600, and Eric was at $1,000. Elliot made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,600.

COUNTRY NAME ORIGINS $800: A national pair in the Caribbean:
"Ancient & Bearded"
(Alex: We have about a minute to go, and you have enough money to take the lead away from Dara.)
(Elliot: What is Trinidad and Tobago?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
KNOW YOUR A‑B‑Cs $400: To illegally seize & take away
(Dara: What is abscond?)

COUNTRY NAME ORIGINS $200: Just south of Guadeloupe: "Sunday"
(Dara: What is... Dominican Republic?)
(Eric: What is, uh... Santo Domingo?)

KNOW YOUR A‑B‑Cs $1000: A deviation from the normal type, way or course

COUNTRY NAME ORIGINS $400: South of Morocco:
"Land of the Moors"
(Elliot: What is Algeria?)
(Dara: What is... the Ivory Coast?)

'80s HAIR BANDS $800: Let's talk about Sixx--Nikki Sixx--who literally set himself afire playing bass for this band

STRIKE THAT! $600: The west coast of South America is mostly occupied by 2 countries, Chile & Panem
(Elliot: What is Ecuador?)
(Eric: What is Argentina?)
(Dara: What is Colombia?)

COUNTRY NAME ORIGINS $600: Shiite central:
"Land of the Aryans"
(Elliot: What is Saudi Arabia?)

STARS OF BUSINESS $1000: In 1909 this company began using a logo with a green "T" superimposed on a red star
(Elliot: What is Target?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dara :): $3,400
Eric: $1,000
Elliot: -$800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MEDIEVAL FASHION (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
UNMANNED SPACE EXPLORATION (1/3)
THERE'S A NAME FOR THAT (5/5)
CINEMATIC NIGHT SPOTS (5/5) (Alex: We want you to name the movie that introduced each establishment.)
DEFOE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"DE"FRIEND (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Elliot: 7 R, 2 W
Dara :): 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Eric: 6 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Eric snagged the next Daily Double on the 19th clue. Elliot had $5,200, Dara :) had $7,400, and Eric was at $3,400. Eric wagered $1,000.

MEDIEVAL FASHION $1600: 3-letter name for a long white tunic made of linen & worn by medieval clergy

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Dara :) who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Elliot had $5,200, Dara :) had $9,800, and Eric was at $3,200. Dara :) wagered $800.

DEFOE $1600: "Memoirs of a Cavalier" was a fictional account of this decades-long war of 17th century continental Europe
(Dara: What is the... Hundred Years' War?)
(Alex: I thought you might say that. You had to subtract 70 years from it to come up with [*].)
(Dara: That was my second guess.)
(Alex: All right. That was your second choice. Less than a minute now, Dara.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"DE"FRIEND $800: Richard Somers was this man's friend & fellow Naval Commander in early U.S. wars against Tripoli

"DE"FRIEND $2000: Coach Bill Walsh is seen here on the left with this 49ers owner

MEDIEVAL FASHION $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a painting on the monitor.) The name of this short, close-fitting jacket takes its name from words meaning "folded over"

MEDIEVAL FASHION $1200: The fur of the grey type of this small animal was grise; of the red type, roskyn
(Eric: What is a fox?)
(Elliot: What is a rabbit?)

MEDIEVAL FASHION $2000: I dub thee this; Sir Knight could tell you it was a tunic worn over armor

UNMANNED SPACE EXPLORATION $2000: The Cassini-Huygens probe has discovered a body of water the size of Lake Superior on this planet's moon Enceladus

UNMANNED SPACE EXPLORATION $800: This Pasadena, California lab has been helping design U.S. spacecraft since Explorer 1 in 1958

DEFOE $2000: This misbehaving title woman is eventually deported to America, where she reforms
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dara :): $9,000
Elliot: $5,600
Eric: $3,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OLYMPIC HOST CITIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Dara :): Wager $2,201 to cover Elliot, but no more than $2,599 so as not to fall behind Eric's doubled score.
Elliot: You have the hope of surpassing Dara :) if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $3,401 to force Dara :) to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Eric.
Eric: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This European city hosted the northernmost Summer Games, also the first where Soviet athletes participated

FINAL SCORES
Eric: $3,200 - $3,100 = $100 (What is Stockholm?) (3rd place)
Elliot: $5,600 + $5,400 = $11,000 (What is Helsinki?) (18202-day champion: $11,000)
Dara :): $9,000 - $2,201 = $6,799 (What is Oslo?) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $16,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dara :): $9,800, 16 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Elliot: $7,200, 12 R, 7 W (including 1 DD)
Eric: $3,800, 9 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $20,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Dara :): 16/59 = .271
Elliot: 13/59 = .220
Eric: 9/59 = .153
Team: 38/63 = .603

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FACES IN HISTORY $200: Here's this little big man in his study at Tuileries

FACES IN HISTORY $400: This Tennessean is one of those we remember from the Alamo

FACES IN HISTORY $600: Here's this 15th century French woman in happier times, at the coronation of Charles VII

FACES IN HISTORY $800: This first Chief Justice affirmed the federal government's power over states

FACES IN HISTORY $1000: The Sherman Antitrust Act was designed in part to thwart this oil man

STARS OF BUSINESS $800: This brand of Italian sparkling mineral water has a red star on its cyan label as well as a red star on its blue cap
[The end-of-round-signal sounds.]

"DE"FRIEND $1600: This Frenchman painted a portrait of Chopin, who was a good friend, but didn't care for his art

THERE'S A NAME FOR THAT $800: Often operated by a handle, it's the movable flap in a chimney flue that regulates air flow
(Elliot: What is... [Groans] ...a flue?)

DEFOE $1200: "A Journal of" this medical calamity "Year" was Defoe's story of 1665 London
(Eric: What is the Black Death?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Antigua and Barbuda
abduct
Dominica
aberrance
Mauritania
Motley Crue
Peru
Iran
Texaco
an alb
the Thirty Years' War
Stephen Decatur
Edward Debartolo Jr.
a doublet
squirrel
surcoat
Saturn
the Jet Propulsion Lab
Moll Flanders
Helsinki, Finland
Napoleon
Davy Crockett
Joan of Arc
John Jay
(John D.) Rockefeller
San Pellegrino
Delacroix
a damper
the plague
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Olympic Host Cities
This European city hosted the northernmost Summer Games, also the first where Soviet athletes participated.

Spoiler
What is Helsinki? Eric said Stockholm; Dara said Oslo.

Dara Gocheski: $9,000-$2,201=6,799
Elliot Yates: $5,600+$5,400=$11,000...now a 2-day champion with $29,201
Eric Westra: $3,200-$3,100=$100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

What in the slip-sliding hell did I just watch? I think my geography lobe just haemorrhaged. I keep my mouth shut when watching J! alone, but I actually shouted "holy f**k" after the Ecuador-Argentina-Colombia one. And Trinidad & Tobago? Oof.

I quite like Elliot and I'm sure he'll be the first to admit he's lucky to be a 2-day champ, but man oh man. I need to go take a walk outside.

Instaget FJ.
Last edited by grindcore on Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Was cheering for Dara after she enthusiastically took on the 80s Hair Bands category - this is one of my absolute favourite genres of music (was just listening to a whole mix tape of it on my iPod today) and while she didn't run the category like I did, she seemed to enjoy it and it went a long way towards her lead.

She also gave the same answer as me in Final. :( I first considered Helsinki, but I thought that Helsinki was the 1920 Games, and I reminded myself that the Soviet Union didn't participate until a few decades after its founding, after WWII. I also thought Helsinki might have been a Winter Games. Strange thing is, I looked for other places that could have qualified after dismissing my first guess (Helsinki) and one of them was Antwerp. But I dismissed it because I thought it was the 1920 Games and I reminded myself that the Soviet Union didn't participate until a few decades after its founding, after WWII. Yes, the exact same excuse I gave Helsinki. :( (Plus, I could think of several Olympic host cities that were more north than Antwerp).

One place where I differed from Dara (and the rest of the contestants) was that I loved the Country Name Origin category (almost as much as the hair bands one - I may be a huge geography nerd, but they have geography on J! all the time, how often do they show freaking hair bands? The all time best music!), and went 4/4 on it (although almost missed on the first one but someone else beat me to the Dominican Republic neg, remembered Guadeloupe, reminded myself it wasn't the Mexican city, the category was *Country* Name Origins, and Santo Domingo would be wrong, and got Dominica. I suppose Trinidad & Tobago is easy enough negbait on the DD if you don't know your Caribbean geography well (which it seems you have to lately) and T&T is the only paired country you know there, but the origins of the name might lead one away from it.

Surprised to see Philae there, thought that event was too new to be on J!, it must have just touched down as that clue was appearing on screen during taping ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I've tried taking a more lax approach to gameplay. So far it's not helping.

Lach Trash: Texaco, Antigua & Barbuda, squirrel.

When's the last time a contestant showed a picture during the interviews?

I thought Dominica was waaaaaaaaaaaay undervalued at $200. The only other time it comes up in the Archive as an actual response, it was a TS at $1,000. Can we poll it? I have a feeling it'll be low.

"In Xanadu did Kublai Khan" seemed steep for $200 too. I'd have put it at maybe $600.

0/5 in ABC, a super rare skunk in a word category for me. Just couldn't think of the first couple, and have outright NHO "aberrance". "Illegally take away" had me thinking objects, not people, and I've never heard of an object being abducted. No excuse for whiffing on Arabic, though.

I knew Mötley Crüe, and I even like one of their songs ("Home Sweet Home"), but the name wasn't coming.

Anyone wanna tell me why Ecuador and Colombia weren't good on Strike for $600?

I had Defoe marked as 0/5 as soon as it came up.

Oslo for me. Didn't realize Helsinki ever hosted the Olympics.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Anyone wanna tell me why Ecuador and Colombia weren't good on Strike for $600?
They don't make up most of the western coast.

Guessed Moscow just to guess something. Wouldn't have guessed Helsinki to have hosted a Summer Olympics.
13pbs
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by 13pbs »

can someone tell me why "black death" was not an acceptable alternative to "plague"?
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Elliot did poorly in the first round, but won the game by virtue of being the only one to get FJ. Congrats to him. There were many triple stumpers. Among these, I was able to get: abduct, Dominica, aberrance, Motley Crue, Peru, Texaco, Saturn, and Jet Propulsion Laboratory. I got 30 clues correct, but guessed Oslo for FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

13pbs wrote:can someone tell me why "black death" was not an acceptable alternative to "plague"?
I believe it was a book title.
ACW

Post by ACW »

TOUGH game. Three questions:
1) No abscond instead of abduct?
2) No specific Star Wars for Mos Eisley?
3) Black Death vis-à-vis Plague? Plague not specific enough?
13pbs

Post by 13pbs »

a search on the internet for black death brings up the plague most often
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Anyone wanna tell me why Ecuador and Colombia weren't good on Strike for $600?
Oh, "most of". That clue could've been pinned a little better, because while I can see that Ecuador is way tinier than I thought, Colombia's coast doesn't look much shorter than Peru's.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:
Oh, "most of". That clue could've been pinned a little better, because while I can see that Ecuador is way tinier than I thought, Colombia's coast doesn't look much shorter than Peru's.
To be fair, all coasts are of an infinite size, so yeah, bad clue. ;)
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
I thought Dominica was waaaaaaaaaaaay undervalued at $200. The only other time it comes up in the Archive as an actual response, it was a TS at $1,000. Can we poll it? I have a feeling it'll be low.
Tough game. I found county name origins tough too - Dominica and Mauritania at 2/400 spots..hmm. Felt like a TOC.

Randomly settled on Helsinki :) while considering Oslo. Was worried it will be one of winter olympic cities.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

13pbs wrote:a search on the internet for black death brings up the plague most often
Again, it was a book title: A Journal of the Plague Year.
makeabeilein
Jeopardy! Champion/Second-Best Performer

Post by makeabeilein »

dhkendall wrote:Surprised to see Philae there, thought that event was too new to be on J!, it must have just touched down as that clue was appearing on screen during taping ...
Philae landed one week before this show was taped — it was one thing I made absolutely sure to memorize before going to Culver City. I was a little disappointed with the really easy direction they went with it, but also I just shrugged because it was before my time had come.
13pbs

Post by 13pbs »

again, so was the plague. ever hear of albert camus?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

13pbs wrote:again, so was the plague. ever hear of albert camus?
Of course ... this was a clue about a book written by Daniel Defoe.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

ACW wrote:TOUGH game. Three questions:
1) No abscond instead of abduct?
I was surprised when that wasn't reversed, but then looked it up. Abscond specifically refers to departing.