Friday, January 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6980, 2015-01-09

CONTESTANTS
Evan Perkins, an advertiser account representative from San Francisco, California
Verna Kale, a rhetoric professor and writer from Midlothian, Virginia
John Schultz, a computer programmer from Ann Arbor, Michigan (whose 1-day cash winnings total $27,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Well, just like Caesar, he came, he saw, he conquered. John Schultz, very impressive in his debut on yesterday's program. But will he be able to wrap up our first full week of the new year on the same high level? Verna and Evan will have something to say about that, won't you? Let's go to work. Jeopardy! Round, and these categories now in play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CLASSICAL MUSIC... ON BANJO! (5/5)
GOOD MOUSE KEEPING (3/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GREEK LETTERS TODAY (3/5)
COACHING IN THE NFL (5/5)
THE "URT" LOCKER (2/4)
THIS ONE'S FOR THE LADIES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Evan: 9 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Verna: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
John: $3,200
Evan: $1,800
Verna: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Evan Perkins is an account representative from San Francisco who has inherited a very special collection. Tell us about it.

Evan: Well, let's go back to 1980, when the United States decided to boycott the Olympics in Moscow that year, and, uh, my grandfather's family had already bought the tickets. They weren't gonna let Jimmy Carter tell them what to do, so, you know, they just went and brought back closets full of old Soviet memorabilia that I am now the treasured caretaker of.

Alex: Do you have an officer's hat with the red star on it, too?

Evan: Unfortunately not. We do have a Soviet Life magazine talking about how safe Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant is...

[Laughter]

Evan: ...which is pretty good.

Alex: [Laughing] Save that magazine.

Evan: I know.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Verna Kale is from Midlothian, Virginia. Not too long ago, I visited Key West, Florida, and Ernest Hemingway's house with all those six-toed cats. You have a connection to Ernest Hemingway.

Verna: Yes. Um, when I was a grad student at Penn State, I was the research assistant on the Hemingway letters project, which is collecting all of his known outgoing correspondence and publishing it in a--in a massive amount of volumes. He wrote a lot of letters.

Alex: Now, is there one letter that you came upon in your research and your work that shook you up a little, and you said, "Oh, my gosh. Hemingway said this?"

Verna: I--I actually really loved one from Paris in the 1920s, when he wrote home to his mom to explain that, uh, he had been invited to go out with Gertrude Stein, but he--he was very intent on staying in and getting some work done.

Alex: Good for him.

[Laughter]

Alex: But he did go out with Gertrude Stein later. They did associate.

Alex: John Schultz is our champion. And I just discovered something, and it's verified by his appearance on the show today--every Friday for how many years now?

John: It's going on six or seven at this point.

Alex: You have worn...?

John: Uh, a pink shirt.

Alex: Why?

John: Well, you know how you have that thing where you wear the same kind of outfit as a person, and people kind of tease you and say, "Did you plan on this?" Well, a friend and I--uh, my friend Adam and I--had that happen at work a couple times, and so we decided to double down, and we just planned to wear a pink shirt that Friday. And from there, it just kind of turned into a fun and irreverent tradition that just was, like, this celebration of the end of the week.

Alex: And does he wear a pink shirt also?

John: Uh, as far as I know, yes. We don't work at the same place anymore, but I believe he regularly still does.

Alex: We should send people to verify, to make sure that he has not let down the team.

John: We should.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Evan found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. John had $5,200, Verna had $2,400, and Evan was at $3,400. Evan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,400.

GOOD MOUSE KEEPING $400: From the Latin for "little mouse", these body parts are so named as their movements under the skin resemble mice
(Evan: Let's do arteries. What is I'll go to arteries?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE "URT" LOCKER $600: A sausage, or Goethe by birth

THE "URT" LOCKER $800: Every stage actor says, "I'll take" this call
(Alex: Particularly after a great performance, you'll take a [*] call.)

GREEK LETTERS TODAY $400: Used as a coloring in butter, this yellowish pigment is converted into vitamin A by the liver

GREEK LETTERS TODAY $800: This letter also means "So what?" in Yiddish

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
John: $5,200
Verna: $3,400
Evan: -$400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FAMOUS FIRST WORDS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PUNCTUATION (5/5)
ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MOVIE TITLE ADD A LETTER (5/5) (Alex: Let me give you an example--instead of A Knight's Tale, the correct response would be "What is A Knight's Table?" Adding one letter to the response.)
YUKON (5/5)
DO IT (2/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Verna: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Evan: 5 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John snagged the next Daily Double on the 19th clue. John had $13,200, Verna had $11,400, and Evan was at $2,400. John wagered $5,800.

FAMOUS FIRST WORDS $1200: In 1933 the first of these addresses began, "I want to talk for a few minutes with the people of the U.S. about banking"
(Alex: That's it. FDR.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Evan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. John had $21,000, Verna had $13,400, and Evan was at $5,200. Evan wagered $5,000.

ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY $1600: This man who argued Brown v. Board of Education before the Supreme Court is buried in section 5
(Evan: Who is Oliver Wendell Holmes?)
(Alex: Later become a member of the Supreme Court.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY $1200: Name of the 1920 amphitheater seen here, or of the day that's one of the three each year when it's filled for a service
(Alex: ...with less than a minute to go now, Evan.)

DO IT $2000: Channel Tracy Partridge, hold instrument at about face level, rap the stretched head with fingers
(Alex: How do you [*]?)

DO IT $1600: Dial *60; follow instructions; have future dinners at home in peace & quiet
(John: What is add yourself to the, uh, do-not-call registry?)
(Alex: How do you [*]?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
John: $19,800
Verna: $13,400
Evan: $200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS AMERICANS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
John: Wager $7,001 to cover Verna, but no more than $19,399 so as not to fall behind Evan's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $6,601.
Verna: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $600 (martian), and you'll win the game if John wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Evan: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1982, 72 years after his death, he became the first person inducted into the Hall of Famous Missourians

FINAL SCORES
Evan: $200 - $199 = $1 (Who is Harry Truman) (3rd place)
Verna: $13,400 + $13,400 = $26,800 (Who is Mark Twain?) (2nd place)
John: $19,800 + $10,200 = $30,000 (Who is Mark Twain) (27601-day champion: $30,000)
(Alex: [To Verna] Hannibal, Missouri.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
John: $15,200, 22 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Verna: $13,400, 12 R, 0 W
Evan: $8,600, 14 R, 6 W (including 2 DDs)
Combined Coryat: $37,200

BATTING AVERAGES
John: 23/59 = .390
Evan: 14/60 = .233
Verna: 13/58 = .224
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GREEK LETTERS TODAY $600: Type of blues that's celebrated at a museum in Clarksdale, Mississippi
(Alex: [*] Blues, good.)

COACHING IN THE NFL $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a football play animation on a monitor.) Here is the famous Green Bay Sweep designed by this head coach & winner of the first two Superbowls

COACHING IN THE NFL $600: The AP said this alliteratively named Cowboys top man of the '90s ruled "with an iron fist and a helmet of hair"
(Evan: Who is Jerry Jones?)
(Alex: Great hairdo.)

CLASSICAL MUSIC... ON BANJO! $200: It's "The Marriage of" this character, written not on a banjo in 1786

CLASSICAL MUSIC... ON BANJO! $400: The singers are silent & the banjo takes up the Beethoven finale based on this poem

CLASSICAL MUSIC... ON BANJO! $600: He's the historic figure in the title of the overture heard here

CLASSICAL MUSIC... ON BANJO! $800: "Carmen" get this Frenchman who brought the opera to live in 1875

CLASSICAL MUSIC... ON BANJO! $1000: Here comes "Lohengrin" by this man, in a way he likely did not consider

GOOD MOUSE KEEPING $200: Lennie & George talk rabbits in this Depression-set Steinbeck tale
(Alex: Minute to go now.)

GOOD MOUSE KEEPING $1000: In an early newspaper comic, Ignatz Mouse was often the object of affection of this kooky feline
(Evan: Who is Felix the Cat?)

GOOD MOUSE KEEPING $600: "The Mouse, the Bird & the Sausage" is one of the tales collected by these men in an 1812 work
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

PUNCTUATION $800: One theory is that it began as the Latin abbreviation QO
(Evan: What is okay?)

FAMOUS FIRST WORDS $400: One of the 5 Ws, it begins the text of the Declaration of Independence
(Evan: What is we?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
muscles
Frankfurter
curtain
beta-carotene
nu
the Fireside Chats
Thurgood Marshall
Memorial Amphitheater
play the tambourine
block a telephone number
Mark Twain
Delta
(Vince) Lombardi
Jimmy Johnson
Figaro
"Ode To Joy"
William Tell
Bizet
Wagner
Of Mice and Men
Krazy Kat
the Brothers Grimm
a question mark
when

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:52 pm

Famous Americans
In 1982, 72 years after his death, he became the first person inducted into the Hall of Famous Missourians.

Spoiler
Show
Who is Mark Twain? Evan said Harry Truman.

John Schultz: $19,800+$10,200=$30,000...now a 2-day champion with $57,600
Verna Kale: $13,400+$13,400=$26,800
Evan Perkins: $200+$199=$399
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:31 pm

Evan. Unlucky.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:25 pm

I must say I panicked a little bit when the Punctuation category came up, as my One Day Special on Punctuation is on one week from today (don't forget, all you Boardie LLamas!) and, while I've made a few changes based on feedback, I didn't have that many alternate questions if worse came to worse. Thankfully, though, I didn't need to replace any (although i could have just credited KaleV with getting them ;) )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:28 pm

Banjo was a cute idea, but I felt the music was mixed so low that I couldn't discern it. I probably would've gotten Ode to Joy and Wagner if I could freaking hear them, but I thought Marriage of Figaro was a tough start at $200. I did get whatever $600 was, though.

Another brain fart on my part: "What the heck famous British woman died in 1997?!" I really need to figure out a way to stop that.

I said hyphen instead of slash at $400 to end up 4/5 in Punctuation. Easy negbait IMO, as it seemed every bit as logical.

I also thought Do It for $1600 was huge negbait for "add to Do Not Call registry".

Insta-WAG with Twain so I'm not 0/5 this week.

Truman "not a bad guess" for dying in 1910?!? Go home, Alex, you're drunk.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:29 pm

Actually, Alex, Harry Truman was a horrible guess. You really shouldn't pick someone who was President in the '40s to have died in 1910.

For some reason I thought Twain made it into the early '20s, but he was all I could think of from that time frame, so I stuck with him.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:33 pm

Instaget FJ. Yes, Truman was at least a Missourian, but unless he was even more badass than I thought, I don't think he ran the country from 35 years beyond the grave. C'mon now, Alex.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:33 pm

Congrats to John on his second win, an impressive one. Verna started very slowly but gave John a good challenge. I had 35 correct responses including these triple stumpers: curtain, and beta carotene. I got FJ instantly.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:41 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Banjo was a cute idea,
Oh, thanks for reminding me this category existed! Loved it, ran it, want the album!
xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ. Yes, Truman was at least a Missourian, but unless he was even more badass than I thought, I don't think he ran the country from 35 years beyond the grave. C'mon now, Alex.
Reagan did.

(Too soon?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:47 pm

dhkendall wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ. Yes, Truman was at least a Missourian, but unless he was even more badass than I thought, I don't think he ran the country from 35 years beyond the grave. C'mon now, Alex.
Reagan did.

(Too soon?)
Only in the sense that I was waiting for the first Reagan joke, but predicted it would take at least 5 more posts :lol:

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:53 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Reagan did.

(Too soon?)
WHOOP there it is!

Also forgot to mention... "virgule" is comma in French. FFS.

Ryno

Post by Ryno » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:01 pm

Halley's Comet was key for me getting this FJ. Twain was born on a year that Halley's Comet was seen from Earth, and he died the same year that Halley's Comet returned (1910). I believe that Twain himself predicted that he would die when the comet returned.

Lach Trash: Thurgood Marshall (DD)
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool

billiej

Post by billiej » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:35 pm

econgator wrote:Actually, Alex, Harry Truman was a horrible guess. You really shouldn't pick someone who was President in the '40s to have died in 1910.
My mouth dropped at that. Seriously, did he really say that? I actually yelled out loud at the TV "No, it wasn't!!!"

Instaget.

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:36 pm

grindcore wrote:Evan. Unlucky.
Seemed ready to play - didn't work out for him. Verna deceptively hung in there.

No luck on FJ - agree Truman was a bad guess, but that is all I could think of too.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:47 pm

I eliminated Truman for FJ remembering when he was President.

My second guess was Charles Lindbergh, because his plane was called "Spirit of St. Louis" and the airport there is named after him.

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:07 pm

40 right.

"Urt"- 2; Greek- 1; NFL- 5; Lady- 4; Music- 4; Mouse- 2
First- 3; Punct- 4; Arlington- 5; Movie- 5; Yukon- 3; Do It- 2

Lach trash: "DD- Thurgood Marshall", "Memorial", "block a telemarketer"

Instaget FJ (I knew Twain died in 1910, and Hannibal, Missouri as well).

countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:17 pm

KazooJ!fan wrote: My second guess was Charles Lindbergh, because his plane was called "Spirit of St. Louis" and the airport there is named after him.
Um, wasn't his flight after 1910? 1927, right?

TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:30 pm

If what everyone says about how important it is to play the game the right way in your audition in order to get selected, I don't understand how people can make it onto the show and then:

1. Answer before Alex calls your name
2. Call out "the same" instead of naming the category (2 times I think)
3. Not phrase your response to a DD in the form of a question

Would one make it through the audition if one did that? Do the nerves on stage cause people to forget the basic instructions that I assume they get a dozen times prior to the taping?

FJ was about as insta as it gets for me as a Missourian. I was also shocked that Alex said that Truman was a good guess, considering the math, although I guess Twain and Truman are considered the two most well known native sons.
Sheepin' it real.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:38 pm

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:If what everyone says about how important it is to play the game the right way in your audition in order to get selected, I don't understand how people can make it onto the show and then:

1. Answer before Alex calls your name
2. Call out "the same" instead of naming the category (2 times I think)
3. Not phrase your response to a DD in the form of a question

Would one make it through the audition if one did that? Do the nerves on stage cause people to forget the basic instructions that I assume they get a dozen times prior to the taping?
I assume the rest of it is nerves, but why is the second one a bad thing? If more contestants called out "same, 1600" or somthing similar, it would speed things up...