Friday, January 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alamble » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:17 pm

KazooJ!fan wrote:I eliminated Truman for FJ remembering when he was President.

My second guess was Charles Lindbergh, because his plane was called "Spirit of St. Louis" and the airport there is named after him.
Actually, it's not. St. Louis' airport is Lambert International. Has nothing to do with Lindy.

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:39 pm

alamble wrote:
KazooJ!fan wrote:I eliminated Truman for FJ remembering when he was President.

My second guess was Charles Lindbergh, because his plane was called "Spirit of St. Louis" and the airport there is named after him.
Actually, it's not. St. Louis' airport is Lambert International. Has nothing to do with Lindy.
Yes, it's the airport in San Diego that's named after Lindbergh.

However, the St. Louis airport does have a replica Spirit of St. Louis on display. I remember it from the 1980s, changing planes there on Ozark Airlines.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:41 pm

Given that Evan guessed Oliver Wendell Holmes as someone with something to do with Brown v. Board of Education, it's not exactly surprising he guessed Truman as a Missourian who died in 1910.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:45 pm

If Evan ever becomes famous enough to have a biopic made then David Duchovny could play the role in his sleep.

Verna spotted the guys a segment and did quite well after that. The chat with Alex or a pep talk from the CCs helped a lot.

John is only 2/6 for finding DDs, but he makes them count when he plays them.

The FJ! clue had me go to a brief detour to Jesse James for a famous Missourian. He died in the 1800s, so I kept thinking. On the second try it instantly clicked for Mark Twain. The Halley's Comet story was a double check for 1985-75=1910.

Alex must have not processed the clue well and took 1982 as the death year? Otherwise his "not a bad guess" is insane. Evan guessing Truman? It went perfectly with his 0/2 on the DDs. Not his night by a long shot. I suspect Evan was not cut out to be a last game of the day guy.

OrangeSAM

Post by OrangeSAM » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:56 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:If Evan ever becomes famous enough to have a biopic made then David Duchovny could play the role in his sleep....
At times I thought Evan was playing in his sleep. While playing, he seemed a bit monotonic which made him seem slightly catatonic.
OCSam

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:01 pm

From what little I've seen of Duchovny, he looks like he's playing every role in his sleep.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:18 am

Anybody else get an Ethan Coen vibe from John? Even down to the midwest accent...

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:48 am

fowlerism wrote:Anybody else get an Ethan Coen vibe from John? Even down to the midwest accent...
Actually, Evan definitely reminded me of someone, but I'm not familiar enough with actors to pinpoint which. Best I could get was "looks by John Ritter (with a dash of Nicolas Cage), vocal style and mannerisms of Ben Stein"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:02 am

The rumors of Twain's death in 1910 were not exaggerated.

WilliamPorygon
Contributor

Post by WilliamPorygon » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:20 am

For some reason, I was having a brain fart during Final and couldn't remember the pen name "Mark Twain." With time running out I gave up and put down "Samuel Clemens" instead, which I presume would've been acceptable. :lol:

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:09 am

Nobody mentioned the 2/3 game with 13400-19800 going into FJ!. Verna should have wagered $0-$600 assuming JOhn made the $7001 MSB, so as to win on a TS.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:55 am

AT was being kind about Truman. Obviously passed long after... 1972, on Boxing Day. EZ recall... day after Xmas. And LBJ went on 22 Jan 1973, two days after Nixon was inaugurated. It broke his heart. Nixon lasted until 22 April 1994 (See, the same date = 22... another ez recall!), 20 years after he resigned 9 Aug '74, on the Nagasaki bombing anniversary date. See how easy to get dates- they string together! April is the Cruelest Month... said Tricky Dick as he punched his ticket for the last time. LOL @instaget Thomas Stears Eliot, The Wasteland. Lindbergh wouldn't even be a consideration since if he died in 1910, then who flew the Spirit of STL to Paris? It landed itself at Le Bourget, lol.

Near instaget on FJ went through 'people I know from MO' including Truman (no, lol!) Thomas Hart Benton (Regional artist, one of the Triumvirate of Regionalists including Grant Wood/American Gothic guy and Stuart Curry (Missouri State House 1859 John Brown Raid Mural... Charlie Russel's mural on Helena state house wall of Lewis and Clark Meeting the Flathead Indians briefly flits thru my mind as I'm thinking about muralists from MO, then I'm back on the date, the date... 1910... Edward VII died then... he wasn't from MO... lotta ppl died in SF in 1906 but that was 4 years earlier... get back on track with 10 seconds left... hey 1910 was Halley's Comet! "I came in with the Comet and I reckon I'll go out with it," he said.... Who's Samuel Longhorne Clemens?! (And yes, I reckon that would be acceptable, it was his legal name and Mark Twain, howeve famous, was a pen name.)

Solid game for men who stare at goats with 42 correct responses and FJ. Lach trash: 'block telemarketers', frankfurter, curtain call, beta carotene, Thurgood Marshall argued the Brown vs. BOE case in 1954 before he was appointed by LBJ in 1967.

Went all-in on classical music on banjo, lol, my wife is a musician and she only took 3/5 so I was pretty fiull of myself! Marriage of Figaro, Beethoven's 'Ode to Joy' >>9th Symphony finale, William Tell overture, Carmen is by Bizet, Lohengrin is by Wagner (these last are Pavlovs, always asked again & again!).

Harriet Tubman - UGRR; Unsinkable Molly Brown, nee Margaret Tobin, BTW was played by Debbie Reynolds, Princess Leia's mother (Carrie Fisher) and her autobio is titled "Unsinkable." Raiders video game guy = John Madden, 1997 >>Princess Diana (nee Spencer); Clara Barton "Angel fo the Battlefield" founded American Red Cross, her Civil War work saved many boys, do not confuse with Florence Nightingale, Lady of the Lamp in Crimean War; Golda Meir lived & worked in Milwaukee, WI teaching public schools as a second-generation Ukrainian immigrant from Kiev (coulda been in "Ukrainians of Note," lol), before she became PM Israel in 1969. David Ben-Gurion called her the "Best man in government."

Mousey category was fairly tough IMHO: Took "Of Mice & Men" = Steinbeck, George and Lenny; "Little Mice" from Latin for 'MUS' = Genera of Rodents, i.e., 'mus domesticus' = house mouse, therefore 'MUScles.' Clam on Ignatz mouse > Krazy Kat; but instaget 'Mouse, Bird & Sausage' = Brothers Grimm.

Yukon: Capital Whitehorse contains 2/3 of folks living up there in the Great White North; Yukon split from teh Northwest Territories in 1898 and in 2002 the 'Yukon Act' made it's official designation 'Yukon' changed from 'Yukon Territory' although everyone still calls it that; it's officially bilingual (English/French) but also recognizes First 'Nations' languages; Mt Logan is the highest point in Canada, 2nd highest in N. America after Denali/ Mt McKinley. Mt Fairweather has ben asked before, it's the highest in British Columbia, sighted by Capt Cook in 1778 on a particularly fine day, hence the name; it's a designated 'boundary peak' straddling the US-Canada border. BTW 2nd largest city Dawson CIty was territorial capital until 1952, not asked! Also not asked was Mt St Elias, 4th highest peak in North America and 2nd highest of Yukon, in range of the same name. BTW 3rd highest is in Mexico! >Volcan Citaltepetl, in Veracruz, go figure!

Declaration of Independence: "When in the course of human events..." NOT "We the people..." which is the Constitution preamble, DOH! (US Constitution is the shortest of world constitutions and contains VII Articles, also often asked!); 1933 = First Fireside chat, ez get; APRIL is the cruelest month, The wasteland, 'cruel' in TOM; "It was a dark and stormy night" = 7-word first line from Edward Bulwer-Lytton's 1830 novel "Paul Clifford", AKA "Purple Prose"; Nabukov => Lolita, "LIght of my life, Fire of my loins," racy First Line.

Punctuation always a fun category, who knew what these little marks are called, they could be literally anything!
Today's fun includes the slash, 'virgule' in French means 'comma' but has also come to mean a thin slash, thinner than a solidus; AKA 'stroke' a Britishism, and 'solidus' = 'thick slash.' Brackets []; quotes ""; inverted !Spanish!; and I NHO this one: 'Q+O' from the Roman >>? mark, I gave ampersand '&' incorrectly, fail! In fact, '&' represents a ligature of the Latin word 'et' for 'and.' Other fun facts @ = 'at' sign, '^' is a caret, \ is a backslash, appears in 'words changed by one letter' as 'backlash'; there's also an inverted ? mark (SP) and _ = underscore, - = dash or 'stroke' and the division sign ./. = 'obelus.' Endless nitnoid fun can be had, see them all at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_(punctuation). The Devil is in the Details!

Arlington Cemetery has come up often and today earns a whole category: JFK is buried there, other pres buried there is Taft; Jackie and RFK and Ted Kennedy are buried there near JFK at the Eternal Flame; the Tomb of the Unknown soldier is guarded 24/7/365; there are memorials for Challenger, Columbia and also PanAm Lockerbie flight 130 cairn containing 270 stones, one for each casualty; the Maine Memorial masthead honors the explosion in Havana Harbor that started the Spanish-American War of 1898, but was probably an accident in the boiler room; special memorials for US veterans who died serving in WWI in the Canadian forces, Laotian veterans who died fighting with American forces in Vietnam, and General John J Pershing is buried there. Arlington 'Memorial' amphitheater is the funerary ceremony site. A Confederate Memorial and Freedman's Village were located on site, prior ask & expected to reappear; Selina Gray was the Lee family personal slave and custodian JIm Parks, an emancipated slave, was the longest resident of Arlington House, and the only person buried in Arlington Cemetery who was born on the old plantation, Jim Parks was laid to rest with full military honors in 1929 (prior FJ TOM). Custis Lee won the estate back in a USSC decision in 1883, then sold it back to Uncle Sam for $150k, in ceremony presided over by Robert Todd Lincoln, Secretary of War under Garfield/Arthur. http://www.nps.gov/arho/historyculture/parks.htm

Well played again by John Schultz, I like this champ he looks really pro. Love the pink shirt theme! I expect to see John win 5+ and go to the TOC. He has clearly prepared for this contest.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:28 am

goatman wrote:Who's Samuel Longhorne Clemens?! (And yes, I reckon that would be acceptable, it was his legal name and Mark Twain, howeve famous, was a pen name.)
Sorry, "Longhorne" makes that a neg.

TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:16 am

seaborgium wrote:
goatman wrote:Who's Samuel Longhorne Clemens?! (And yes, I reckon that would be acceptable, it was his legal name and Mark Twain, howeve famous, was a pen name.)
I thought about getting cute with the answer like goatman, but then said to self, "Is it Langhorne or Longhorne?" and decided it was safer to write Mark Twain for exactly the reason seaborgium points out.

Precalled JFK and Thurgood Marshall on the Arlington category because those are the two I remember from my one visit to Arlington 20 years ago (ok, unknown soldier is 3rd), then clammed on the Brown v BOE question, duh. One of those headslapper, I-knew-that-but-not-today facts.
Sheepin' it real.

mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:29 am

xxaaaxx wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:If what everyone says about how important it is to play the game the right way in your audition in order to get selected, I don't understand how people can make it onto the show and then:

1. Answer before Alex calls your name
2. Call out "the same" instead of naming the category (2 times I think)
3. Not phrase your response to a DD in the form of a question

Would one make it through the audition if one did that? Do the nerves on stage cause people to forget the basic instructions that I assume they get a dozen times prior to the taping?
I assume the rest of it is nerves, but why is the second one a bad thing? If more contestants called out "same, 1600" or somthing similar, it would speed things up...
As some who has been in the J pool twice, it is frowned upon by TPTB. They want you to always say the complete name of the category the first time and then you can abbreviate it afterwards.

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:25 am

econgator wrote:For some reason I thought Twain made it into the early '20s, but he was all I could think of from that time frame, so I stuck with him.
That was an instaget after reading the first seven words, even before I saw the Missouri reference. "I came in with Halley’s Comet in 1835. It is coming again next year, and I expect to go out with it" is a quote that always sticks with me as an astrobuff.

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:28 am

mrsal67 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:If what everyone says about how important it is to play the game the right way in your audition in order to get selected, I don't understand how people can make it onto the show and then:

1. Answer before Alex calls your name
2. Call out "the same" instead of naming the category (2 times I think)
3. Not phrase your response to a DD in the form of a question

Would one make it through the audition if one did that? Do the nerves on stage cause people to forget the basic instructions that I assume they get a dozen times prior to the taping?
I assume the rest of it is nerves, but why is the second one a bad thing? If more contestants called out "same, 1600" or somthing similar, it would speed things up...
As some who has been in the J pool twice, it is frowned upon by TPTB. They want you to always say the complete name of the category the first time and then you can abbreviate it afterwards.
Definitely frowned on by the folks working the auditions. Also, the board's a little different in the auditions -- they only go three rows deep (although the entire grid is in place), and when a category is used up, another new one automatically fills in its place. The latter is probably a reason they don't like the "the same for $600" on the field trials.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:18 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Banjo was a cute idea,
Classical music performed on banjo a cute idea? I'm more of the mind set of the Far Side cartoon, showing the deceased maestro being ushered into his own personal hell, a music studio populated entirely by musicians playing banjos. Yeah, banjos are great for blue grass, but playing "Ode to Joy" on them makes about as much sense as Pavarotti singing Mmm-bop. Perhaps it's a cute idea for a novelty recording for the twelve people who would actually buy the recording. Sounds more like my own personal hell, though, and I could have gone a few more years without having it foisted on me during my favorite show.

But then the writers seem to be getting cutesier by the week, as evidenced by any number of their category names.

That said, this was an easy-peasy game for me, with 45 right, 3/3 on DDs, and a correct FJ response written down before AT finished reading the clue.

And many congrats to the champ for an awesome second victory.

P.S. I gotta believe that anyone knowledgeable enough to pass any J! quiz knows Truman didn't die in 1910 (c'mon, duh!). I'm guessing Evan froze up under the lights and misread or failed to read part of the clue. Tough time for a brain fart.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:23 pm

seaborgium wrote:
It beats the guy on FB who insisted Twain was wrong because he was a fictional character.

Congratulations, John, on your second win!

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:51 pm

MarkBarrett wrote: Alex must have not processed the clue well and took 1982 as the death year? Otherwise his "not a bad guess" is insane. Evan guessing Truman? It went perfectly with his 0/2 on the DDs. Not his night by a long shot. I suspect Evan was not cut out to be a last game of the day guy.
I think Evan dislexed the numbers in (and mis-read) the clue and went with Truman because 72 was the year he died. Alex then promptly followed suit... That's my theory anyway.

I had Mark Twain instantly upon arriving at 1910. It was an Al Downing gopher ball.