Friday, January 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Friday, January 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

ElendilPickle wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
goatman wrote:Who's Samuel Longhorne Clemens?! (And yes, I reckon that would be acceptable, it was his legal name and Mark Twain, howeve famous, was a pen name.)
Sorry, "Longhorne" makes that a neg.
It beats the guy on FB who insisted Twain was wrong because he was a fictional character.
I assume because Twain is a pen name and thus fictional because there's no real person by that name? If I was bothered to do so, I'd reply to him/her that by that logic Alex Trebek is fictional too, as there is no one by that name (his real first name being George).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

They accept "George Eliot."
whatisbishkek
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by whatisbishkek »

John Boy wrote: But then the writers seem to be getting cutesier by the week, as evidenced by any number of their category names. Not to mention the
Spoiler
Banksy FJ.
Thank you for the spoiler for a different game from this week!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Banjo was a cute idea, but I felt the music was mixed so low that I couldn't discern it. I probably would've gotten Ode to Joy and Wagner if I could freaking hear them, but I thought Marriage of Figaro was a tough start at $200. I did get whatever $600 was, though.
I had the same problem hearing the music. And why didn't they wait until Alex finished reading the clue before starting the music? :x
Compound that with someone in my household was noisily rattling a bag of candy through the whole category. :evil:

It seemed Evan was given a mulligan on one of the 'Do It' category questions, where he only gave a partial answer. I can't recall which clue it was because I have no DVR.
I was pleased when he only called dollar amounts in the last remaining category on J the board. Also, I'd much rather someone abbreviated those wordy categories, even from the get-go. Seems permissable to me.
I have no problem with anyone saying "same category, $XXXX".
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Category 13 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Banjo was a cute idea, but I felt the music was mixed so low that I couldn't discern it. I probably would've gotten Ode to Joy and Wagner if I could freaking hear them, but I thought Marriage of Figaro was a tough start at $200. I did get whatever $600 was, though.
I had the same problem hearing the music. And why didn't they wait until Alex finished reading the clue before starting the music? :x
Compound that with someone in my household was noisily rattling a bag of candy through the whole category. :evil:
Replace "rattling a bag of candy" with "unwrapping a noisy set of wind chimes" in my case.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Category 13 wrote:I had the same problem hearing the music. And why didn't they wait until Alex finished reading the clue before starting the music?
I noticed that, too. It was so bad that I wonder whether it was originally after the clue but they overlapped them in post-production to make the episode shorter. Then again, usually if the music is after the clue, Alex says "listen" (is this hard-and-fast?).
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Count me as another person who could not clearly hear the Banjo category. They messed it up big time.

FJ-came in an instant. Went to Truman's house last year, so he was never a consideration for me. Plus the obvious date problem as stated in prior posts.

I really do not enjoy the Punctuation questions. Reminds me too much of grade school memories.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I still think Punctuation for $400 was negbait for hyphen.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I still think Punctuation for $400 was negbait for hyphen.
No.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

What's the definition of perfect pitch?
Throwing an accordion out the window and it lands on a banjo.

What's the difference between a drummer and a large pizza?
A large pizza can feed a family of four.

I'm done.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

alietr wrote:What's the definition of perfect pitch?

I'm done.
How do you know the stage is level?
The drummer is drooling out both sides of their mouth.

Bob: Hey, when does the band start tonight?
Pat: About half a beat before the drummer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I still think Punctuation for $400 was negbait for hyphen.
No.

Brian
And why not? Actress-model doesn't seem any less logical than actress/model.
grindcore wrote:
alietr wrote:What's the definition of perfect pitch?

I'm done.
How do you know the stage is level?
The drummer is drooling out both sides of their mouth.

Bob: Hey, when does the band start tonight?
Pat: About half a beat before the drummer.
As long as there're no mandolinist jokes, I'm good. :lol:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: And why not? Actress-model doesn't seem any less logical than actress/model.
Because that's not generally how hyphens are used. One use is to connect two or more words which modify another word (a long-term contract, a well-mannered boy, a thirteen-year-old girl. You'd never write, "The actress-model lady walked through the door." (The lady, who was an actress/model, walked through the door.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Also, they gave "virgule." Even if you don't know what a virgule is, I think you can get an impression that it's a pretty technical-sounding term. "Hyphen" also sounds technical; now why would one punctuation mark have two technical terms?

I think it's obvious Evan was just executing the "write something down" strategy. Truman was the only Missourian he could name, but he tried to think of someone else for most of the Think music, and scrawled out "Truman" in the last few seconds.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: And why not? Actress-model doesn't seem any less logical than actress/model.
Because that's not generally how hyphens are used. One use is to connect two or more words which modify another word (a long-term contract, a well-mannered boy, a thirteen-year-old girl. You'd never write, "The actress-model lady walked through the door." (The lady, who was an actress/model, walked through the door.)
They are generally used that way and I don't think TPH was out of line with his. I did a Google search for both and the hyphen version seemed more popular but it didn't show how many hits on mobile.

Blah, blah, living language blah, blah, blah.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

xxaaaxx wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:If what everyone says about how important it is to play the game the right way in your audition in order to get selected, I don't understand how people can make it onto the show and then:

1. Answer before Alex calls your name
2. Call out "the same" instead of naming the category (2 times I think)
3. Not phrase your response to a DD in the form of a question

Would one make it through the audition if one did that? Do the nerves on stage cause people to forget the basic instructions that I assume they get a dozen times prior to the taping?
I assume the rest of it is nerves, but why is the second one a bad thing? If more contestants called out "same, 1600" or somthing similar, it would speed things up...
At least one, maybe two, reasons:
1 (learned from audition). They want your clue explicitly called out so the camera operator knows for certain what row/column to go to. This is why they also want you to say the category in full the first time, but you can shorten it as long as its uniquely identifiable from the others from then on.

2 (personal guess). Standards and practices. They want your intention clear rather than assume you mean the next clue.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Playing devil's slash advocate

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
Although, in econgator's defence, while "actress-model" seems more common than "actress/model", "actress slash model" seems more common (in spoken language) than "actress dash model" or "actress hyphen model". As Yskov Smirnoff would say, "what a language!"

davey

Post by davey »

fowlerism wrote:
Category 13 wrote:I had the same problem hearing the music. And why didn't they wait until Alex finished reading the clue before starting the music?
I noticed that, too. It was so bad that I wonder whether it was originally after the clue but they overlapped them in post-production to make the episode shorter. Then again, usually if the music is after the clue, Alex says "listen" (is this hard-and-fast?).
In 4 of the 5 clues there was enough info in the clue so there was no need to hear the music (all except the historic figure/title = William Tell one, and with overture also in the clue even that's arguable)...
Category 13 wrote: It seemed Evan was given a mulligan on one of the 'Do It' category questions, where he only gave a partial answer. I can't recall which clue it was because I have no DVR.
He gave only one response in the category, "What is an igloo?" He made it sound more like eegloo, but I think that's acceptable...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

davey wrote:
fowlerism wrote:
In 4 of the 5 clues there was enough info in the clue so there was no need to hear the music (all except the historic figure/title = William Tell one, and with overture also in the clue even that's arguable)...
Category 13 wrote: It seemed Evan was given a mulligan on one of the 'Do It' category questions, where he only gave a partial answer. I can't recall which clue it was because I have no DVR.
He gave only one response in the category, "What is an igloo?" He made it sound more like eegloo, but I think that's acceptable...
I think Category was saying that the response should be "[What is] how to build an igloo?" and "What is an igloo?" is a partial response. I can see why Category thinks he got a mulligan but the expected response form for that category is very awkward.

davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote:
davey wrote:
fowlerism wrote:
I think Category was saying that the response should be "[What is] how to build an igloo?" and "What is an igloo?" is a partial response. I can see why Category thinks he got a mulligan but the expected response form for that category is very awkward.
You're right, but then "How do you build an igloo?" would be the really smart response.